Why do my coworkers make fun of me for eating "healthy"?

Options

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    People at work do that to me to. I sa..yup I like eating healthy as I can! I am not over the top about it either but they eat garbage all day long everyday so I think it stands out that I don/.t Ignore them...thats my best advice!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I guess if you aren't working in a meritocracy based industry, then have at it.

I see nothing wrong with any of those.
    "You have bad breath."
    "Oh no! I have a presentation in 3 minutes. Do you have any gum?"
    - Boom, just saved a team mate from being a jackwagon in a presentation.

"You're lazy and you're dragging everyone down."
    - That's a solid and efficient way to correct a wayward team member, while also chronicling the counseling, in order to facilitate speedier and easier firing.

Networks are based on mutual value and contribution. Not looking out for someone in your network with little stuff like this means you aren't contributing value, and are not an investment worthy network resource.

There's a difference between looking out for your colleague and commenting on their eating habits and motivations, lol!

Also what, to bolded? You'd say that to someone you work with (not supervise, and even then!)?

which circles back around to you just shouldn't be doing so..... meaning- keep your mouth shut- and if you don't- then you open yourself up to all sorts of missiles- including "if I want to look like you- I'll eat like you"

Don't make comments- then people don't make comments back.

I'm not at work to make friends- or coddle them- I'm here to get my job done. Fortunately for me- I love my coworkers- and we have a great working relationship- and if they have bad breath- you're damn right I say something- like dude- you're killing me- go brush.

And yes- my boss has had conversations with us- fix your ish- or you're out. Allowing mediocrity to remain doesn't help anyone.

Lol :) Well, if it works for you, ok.

I disagree that telling someone they're lazy and dragging the team down (like in those words) is a good approach to management.
  • urloved33
    Options
    I hate to break it to everyone but when every thing you see goes right in your mouth with no thought at all...that is impulsive and weak!
  • urloved33
    Options
    I have a friend who is over 400 lbs and she claims she likes being big. I just don't happen to believe her.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I usually just give them a "whateves" and go about my business. I know I'm awesome and they know I'm awesome...and they all secretly want to be me anyway.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    When people are trying to justify their poor behavior, they want the whole group to comply with the “standard.” So, set your own standard and let the group have theirs. Eventually, they’ll stop asking you because it reminds them of their failings.

So true. And this behavior starts at a young age. My wife used to teach middle school. He failing students, only once, tried making fun of students that got A's. She put an end to it right there. She asked them why they were proud of their F's.
    Unfortunately one cannot respond the same way in the work place.
    Insecure people tend to lash out at those who make their own weakness more obvious.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Are your co-workers typically *kitten*? If yes, then you're right. Probably nastiness and jealousy. I'd question why you ever socialized with them at all in that case.

Otherwise, do your co-workers joke around with you about other things? It's just as likely to be a simple extension of their usual behaviour, no guilt or real judgement attached. Most people who aren't trying to lose weight or aren't fitness-oriented don't think that teasing someone about their food choice is any big deal. And if they brought back some for you, it's more likely because they thought you might have changed your mind and they were being generous than that they were deliberately trying to tempt you.

Just keep it lighthearted and turn the joke back on them. Keep up your usual socialization and bring a snack, or order something light. They'll let it go when it's not a novelty anymore. And if they don't, then tell them you'd rather they not comment on your eating habits and go from there.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Also what, to bolded? You'd say that to someone you work with (not supervise, and even then!)?
    Yes. I have, when I was a cook. When I was in advertising, and even now, when I'm in games. You CAN deliver it gently enough, but sometimes, it just helps everyone involved when you're straight up, like Paula.

Not just to my direct reports, but even peers. Sometimes something just has to be said before they become the iceberg to your titanic. Granted, in games you have to be that direct because a lot of folks don't get subtlety.
  • dbmata
    Options
    laurielima wrote: »
    I have a friend who is over 400 lbs and she claims she likes being big. I just don't happen to believe her.

I honestly don't understand.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

At what point do you try and try to help a "friend."
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    M3Kindschi wrote: »
    I hear you...one of my co-workers calls me anorexic! I even eat MORE then she does!

I have this problem too. I'm BARELY where I should be BMI- wise.
    JoRocka wrote: »
    " I'm sorry I don't recall asking you for an opinion on my food consumption"

"Thanks mom- I appreciate your' concern- but I've got the situation under control"

"where did you get your MD/Nutrionialist/dietitican certification?"

"how's your dead lift these days?"
    Oh that's right- I forgot you don't.

points to right quad- points to left quad
    That's hercules- and that's Xena.
    They tell me what I get to eat.
    Quads of doom are never wrong.

And if they really REALLY REALLY are annoying you- just tell them " if I want to look like you- I'll eat like you"

and let it go- move on.

Hercules & Xena!!! Quads of Doom!!!! Yes!!!!!!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I do IF, and have had a **** of a time explaining this concept to my coworkers. They're firmly in the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day and if you don't eat it your body will slip into starvation mode and you'll DIE" camp, so they are at least 50% convinced that I have the most unhealthy eating habits possible.

But I love my breakfasts. :'(

I am firmly in the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day [for me] and if I don't eat it your body will slip into starvation mode and you'll DIE" camp.

Right now it is a rotation of "Peanut Butter Oatmeal" or "Runny Eggs Over Oatmeal w/Bacon." B)
  • dbmata
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

At what point do you try and try to help a "friend."

My question was more, at what point do you say, "Hey, love ya, but not going to bury ya. Peace. Call me when you drop a couple hundo."
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing is when they try to justify what they're eating to me, like I ever said anything about what THEY are eating.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes. I have, when I was a cook. When I was in advertising, and even now, when I'm in games. You CAN deliver it gently enough, but sometimes, it just helps everyone involved when you're straight up, like Paula.

Not just to my direct reports, but even peers. Sometimes something just has to be said before they become the iceberg to your titanic. Granted, in games you have to be that direct because a lot of folks don't get subtlety.

Lol, this is kind of what I thought. I'm related to a couple of engineers (not software but I figure they're in the same ballpark) :# (you don't strike me as being that type, fwiw)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Because they are stupid and jealous and your smart choices make them question their choices.... and instead of changing what they do, they have to justify it by ridiculing you.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    When people are trying to justify their poor behavior, they want the whole group to comply with the “standard.” So, set your own standard and let the group have theirs. Eventually, they’ll stop asking you because it reminds them of their failings.

This.

My colleagues no longer ask or make comment about me not joining into the 4 sausages and bacon breakfast cob.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I would just plainly tell them that the food has been upsetting your stomach and you would rather feel better with a packed lunch.
  • dbmata
    Options

Lol, this is kind of what I thought. I'm related to a couple of engineers (not software but I figure they're in the same ballpark) :# (you don't strike me as being that type, fwiw)

lol, no... I'm no engineer. I'm on the business and analytics side for the last 4 years, but by way of design. Design is ... different. Reminds me a lot of the people I worked with when I was a dj... lol.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I started a job about 4 months ago surrounded by numerous restaurants and fast food chains. I can walk next door or go for a minute drive. Since I started this job, I noticed my coworkers impulsive behaviors.

They go on constant food runs and routinely have a happy hour milk shake pick me up for 1/2 off at steak and shake across the street. I notice I've been giving in every food run so lately I've been saying no a lot more.

They make fun of me for turning food down and say I am not even fat BC I am thin when it's not about that. I feel like crap when I put crap in my body.

I don't even eat "clean" I just eat a bit healthier than the average American I would say but I just try in moderation with sweets and junk. I try to avoid having a lot of it...They make fun of me but imo they're impulsive and weak with several other addictions other than food lol one coworker is pregnant and smokes. She was a heavy smoker but now smokes 1-3 cigs a day and think it's ok.

That sucks. Here's the thing, you don't have to justify how you eat to anybody. Just do your best and try not to let them get you down. :)