Intimidated at the gym.

Options

Replies

• Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A thing I think is awesome in this thread is seeing people admitting that their headphones are used to help stay focused. I do not use headphones at the gym (just one more thing to mess with, my brain is already full there), but almost everyone else does. It makes me wonder how many of them are afraid of being judged and know it's easier to ignore that feeling with great tunes in their own world.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's easier to stay fit than to start. That said, do something that will give you some quick results and rebuild your confidence. I would start with some group fitness classes. After a few weeks you will feel better about yourself, be more comfortable coming to the gym and familiar with the facilities again and you'll be able to expand your routine.

God I hate group fitness classes .. they make me feel claustrophobic and irritated :blush:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It's easier to stay fit than to start. That said, do something that will give you some quick results and rebuild your confidence. I would start with some group fitness classes. After a few weeks you will feel better about yourself, be more comfortable coming to the gym and familiar with the facilities again and you'll be able to expand your routine.

God I hate group fitness classes .. they make me feel claustrophobic and irritated :blush:

I feel about a million times more uncomfortable in fitness classes than I do in the squat rack wearing neon orange booty shorts so short that it looks my whoha might fall out at ANY moment.
    Usually takes me a while thinking about it(weeks) to actually get into a class if I want to go.

true story.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to space out on parts of people if I'm doing warm-up cardio

Like I'll be on an elliptical with my music on and all of a sudden realise I'm focusing on the back and shoulder muscles of the guy doing pull-ups in front of me

I'm old 'n' married... I c'n get away with it and if I can't I don't care :smiley:

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who does this. I'll be resting between sets and suddenly realize I've been staring at some guy's tricep for a full minute. Didn't even register in my brain.
    Not only do I feel like a total creep, I should probably now be worried that guy is insecure about his triceps because of me... Too much responsibility for 5 am on a Tuesday!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    I have a tendency to space out on parts of people if I'm doing warm-up cardio

Like I'll be on an elliptical with my music on and all of a sudden realise I'm focusing on the back and shoulder muscles of the guy doing pull-ups in front of me

I'm old 'n' married... I c'n get away with it and if I can't I don't care :smiley:

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who does this. I'll be resting between sets and suddenly realize I've been staring at some guy's tricep for a full minute. Didn't even register in my brain.
    Not only do I feel like a total creep, I should probably now be worried that guy is insecure about his triceps because of me... Too much responsibility for 5 am on a Tuesday!

truth.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Ms_LisaKay wrote: »
    A thing I think is awesome in this thread is seeing people admitting that their headphones are used to help stay focused. I do not use headphones at the gym (just one more thing to mess with, my brain is already full there), but almost everyone else does. It makes me wonder how many of them are afraid of being judged and know it's easier to ignore that feeling with great tunes in their own world.

I use headphones so people don't talk to me.

Even though I work out at home now, it's become a habit plus I don't think my new neighbors would like Hollywood Undead blasting at 5am
  • kalin73
    kalin73 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Training and getting into shape is ongoing. You always have to motivate yourself to do stuff to maintain a great lifestyle.

When I get to the gym, my focus is on no one but myself. Eventually you make friends who will share ideas and techniques for getting fit. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Embrace your imperfections... Besides, the fact that you're at the gym already says you take interest in being healthy and fit
  • knitnrunmj
    knitnrunmj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only thing that helped me was constantly tellin myself that I was there for MY health. No one else in that room had to live inside my body. And for that matter, no one else was going to be able to fix what was wrong with it.

Eventually, once you've gotten a routine down, made it a habit, you'll start to feel like you deserve to be there. And you do. You have a right to make your body as healthy as you can.

And if that fails, a little "you got a problem?" seems to remind people that they don't have a right to make you feel uncomfortable.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge guy at the gym, but I am a pretty fit girl that likes to lift. I was intimidated and out of shape at first, too. After I ventured into the weight room a few times, I started getting nods and smiles as I passed the big guys. It was empowering to be the only girl.

Of course there are jerks, but there are jerks at the supermarket and the bank and in some of your classes I'm sure. No one is judging you any more than usual hahah.

Honestly, I always notice the bigger people or the out of shape people. And if they come more than once or twice I admire them. It's so much harder when you're out of shape and new and I love seeing people progress. Everyone gets it, even the huge scary bodybuilder had to start somewhere. Take a deep breath and just do it!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    cskone38 wrote: »
    Its ironic that youre going to a place to get fit, and you have all these fitness nerds in their getting extra extra buff! I mean hell, why can't they just workout at home!!?
    Just remember the gym is made for YOU!! To get fit, in shape, and healthy, not for some prick that wants to add an extra muscle to his *kitten*-swoll arms!

You seem to have some anger issues to work on.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Its ironic that youre going to a place to get fit, and you have all these fitness nerds in their getting extra extra buff! I mean hell, why can't they just workout at home!!?
    Just remember the gym is made for YOU!! To get fit, in shape, and healthy, not for some prick that wants to add an extra muscle to his *kitten*-swoll arms!

You seem to have some anger issues to work on.

you miss da comedy?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Srsly?
  • dbmata
    Options
    >_<
  • cskone38
    cskone38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    LOL, dont make this discussion post about me, I'm just trying to let this girl know not to be worried about the fit people at the gym. Geez, get a life people!!
  • cskone38
    cskone38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No but seriously, it can be intimidating. I'm just trying to buy a bottled water out the machine and heres this buff lame in front of the machine doing squats? Like for real, how bout you find the ACTUAL GYM area to do that!!??
  • dbmata
    Options
    bwahahahaha, video or it didn't happen.

Maybe he was getting his greased groove on brah, but needed that sweet sweet water.
  • JoRocka
    Options

actually a gym is for people who pay to be there and abide by their members.

There are no pre-requisite goals in order to sign up.
    LOL, don't make this discussion post about me, I'm just trying to let this girl know not to be worried about the fit people at the gym. Geez, get a life people!!

here's the problem. You're the second person in this thread to make someone with bad self esteem feel better by tearing other people down.

That is the incorrect way to go about this- it's inappropriate- and contributes to poor perception about other people with other goals.

We aren't over reacting- we are addressing common problems so we can all interact like adults with some respect for other people.

Making someone feel better by putting other people down is wrong. PERIOD.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I actually thought he was trying to be funny, but I don't think he was now.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I actually thought he was trying to be funny, but I don't think he was now.

That's how I first read it-and why I disregarded- then he got all butt hurt- so I switched sides of the fence.

Either way- it was helpful spring board for me to explain why I personally took issue with what originally I had beef with.. because it's true.

You can't/shouldn't put other people down to make yourself feel better.
  • TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Put your headphones on and listen to your choice encouraging music and fall in the flow of lifting & forget anyone being around.
    Lifting heavy is not important but lifting correctly is
This discussion has been closed.