Intimidated at the gym.

Options

Replies

• cskone38
    cskone38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    cskone38 wrote: »
    Its ironic that youre going to a place to get fit, and you have all these fitness nerds in their getting extra extra buff! I mean hell, why can't they just workout at home!!?
    Just remember the gym is made for YOU!! To get fit, in shape, and healthy, not for some prick that wants to add an extra muscle to his *kitten*-swoll arms!

actually a gym is for people who pay to be there and abide by their members.

There are no pre-requisite goals in order to sign up.
    LOL, don't make this discussion post about me, I'm just trying to let this girl know not to be worried about the fit people at the gym. Geez, get a life people!!

here's the problem. You're the second person in this thread to make someone with bad self esteem feel better by tearing other people down.

That is the incorrect way to go about this- it's inappropriate- and contributes to poor perception about other people with other goals.

We aren't over reacting- we are addressing common problems so we can all interact like adults with some respect for other people.

Making someone feel better by putting other people down is wrong. PERIOD.

Geez, you took all this time to say this, seriously?
    Is there something more important you can be doing?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    LOL, dont make this discussion post about me, I'm just trying to let this girl know not to be worried about the fit people at the gym. Geez, get a life people!!

Sorry, sarcasm meter is broken today. Appologies and coffee to get it together!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Its ironic that youre going to a place to get fit, and you have all these fitness nerds in their getting extra extra buff! I mean hell, why can't they just workout at home!!?
    Just remember the gym is made for YOU!! To get fit, in shape, and healthy, not for some prick that wants to add an extra muscle to his *kitten*-swoll arms!

You seem to have some anger issues to work on.

you miss da comedy?

I missed a lot today. :confused:
  • cskone38
    cskone38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    LOL, dont make this discussion post about me, I'm just trying to let this girl know not to be worried about the fit people at the gym. Geez, get a life people!!

SNORING......BORING!!
    Anyway, whats for lunch?
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm so happy that I have my ghetto garage gym. I don't have to deal with bullchit like this.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

SNORING......BORING!!
    Anyway, whats for lunch?

Enjoy and please feel free to not come back, ever.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

SNORING......BORING!!
    Anyway, whats for lunch?

my humps, my humps, my lovely lady humps.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

LOL, don't make this discussion post about me, I'm just trying to let this girl know not to be worried about the fit people at the gym. Geez, get a life people!!

here's the problem. You're the second person in this thread to make someone with bad self esteem feel better by tearing other people down.

That is the incorrect way to go about this- it's inappropriate- and contributes to poor perception about other people with other goals.

We aren't over reacting- we are addressing common problems so we can all interact like adults with some respect for other people.

Isn't there something more important that *you* could be doing?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I'm a graduate student and have access to my university's gym. I used to be very active and fit, but after a semester of grad school I've put on some weight. I know what I'm doing at the gym, but I feel like the extra weight is making me scared to get in there.

My question is: how do I stop feeling intimidated? I want to use the weight room, but every time I walk by it's full of huge, scary guys with giant muscles lifting 20x more than I can. I want to lift but I don't want to look like a dumb fatty (even though I know what to do!).

Help!

My guess is that huge scary intimidating men would find it very appealing for a woman to be in there, and most would be open to helping or guiding you if you are uncertain about things.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

To clarify, I only mean scary in the sense that I'm intimidated by how determined they are. I'm going to brave the weight room tonight! Thanks for your advice, everyone :)

Good for you!!!!!! The weight room can be intimidating, but you will get over that by just going. I always appreciated seeing women in the weight room, because so few women actually lift. Made some great friends with some at my old gym.

The only thing most of those guys will care about is if male/female sits around taking up space/weights/racks, or are playing or talking on their phones
  • marysamezz
    marysamezz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like this too. I think it's completely normal and understandable, expecially because some can be very judgemental at the gym (MFP continues to show this through "gym etiquette" and "worst people at the gym" posts). Anyway, I always remind myself that most people at the gym are focusing on themselves. Generally, people aren't looking at you, and there are a lot of nice, helpful people at the gym. Whenever I didn't know how to use a piece of equipment I would ask someone around and most times people are really nice about it! I think the more you get in there and get used to it you will be fine! Just focus on yourself, headphones always help to zone in on your work out and forget about your surroundings.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

LOL So when you get into shape. The gym is not made for you anymore?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    No but seriously, it can be intimidating. I'm just trying to buy a bottled water out the machine and heres this buff lame in front of the machine doing squats? Like for real, how bout you find the ACTUAL GYM area to do that!!??

You sure do care a lot about what others do.

• yopeeps025
    Options

This coming from you is your funniest post yet.

• strozman
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    No but seriously, it can be intimidating. I'm just trying to buy a bottled water out the machine and heres this buff lame in front of the machine doing squats? Like for real, how bout you find the ACTUAL GYM area to do that!!??

No kidding!

LMAO, his posts/rants sound almost jealous
  • dbmata
    Options
    so etiquette primers == judgemental

got it. legit.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

LOL! Who dafeck is this guy? Your attitude is a tad bit repulsive. Why even comment? Isn't there anything more important you could be doing with YOUR time? Negativity breeds negativity, keep that in mind while you tap tap a roo on your keyboard. SMDH!

• strozman
    Options

LOL! Who dafeck is this guy? Your attitude is a tad bit repulsive. Why even comment? Isn't there anything more important you could be doing with YOUR time? Negativity breeds negativity, keep that in mind while you tap tap a roo on your keyboard. SMDH!

Where is the like button?
  • dbmata
    Options
    ... tap tap a roo....

!!!

HAHAHAHAHA. I love that.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    strozman wrote: »

No kidding!

LMAO, his posts/rants sound almost jealous

He wants the magic pill to get arms with no work involved.
This discussion has been closed.