potatoes good or bad

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eliz_99 wrote: »
    What is an empty calorie? Surely calories are just calories. Anyway I think potatoes are nutritious and filling and so versatile can't think of anything bad about them.

Some calories come from foods that don't really do us much good and can negatively impact our health: spike our blood sugar, clog our arteries, raise blood pressure, etc. If I eat a piece of Edwards cream pie that's 400 calories, those calories aren't going to do anything positive for my health. That pie contains miniscule amounts of vitamins, a lot of potassium, a tiny amount of protein and 12g of saturated fat. Yikes. Oh, and 46g carbohydrates which includes 32g sugar. And that's added, white, processed sugar, not the kind you get from fruit. The pie is absolutely delicious. It is also empty calories, and I don't care what others do; I've cut all that out so I can eat more of the foods that provide...what's the word? Oh yeah --

Nourishment.

If I eat some broiled fish, a potato and some salad that adds up to 400 calories, that's a better quality meal: Lean protein, good oil, vitamins, minerals, fiber. Sure, the idea that CICO determines weight loss has merit, but are we just talking about losng weight and not about staying healthy while we do it?

You know what? I was really well nourished for the day. Like I'd had a very well balanced nutrient dense day. But I was a bit peckish. You know why? I was low on fat.

I just had a very small serving of gelato. That little bit of fat was delicious and now I feel perfectly sated.

It's all about context.

That pie doesn't have to be in the 400 calorie serving, and there are times all those grams of readily available quick-absorbing carbs are needed for energy.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The other thing is that being only 400 calories is not always a good thing, depending on one's calorie limit. Sure, sometimes an avocado or some cheese is a nice way to increase calories, but sometimes pie isn't a bad choice. Also, since I personally prefer fruit pie, at least some of that sugar comes with vitamins and all that. ;-)

Not actually sure what this has to do with potatoes, however. Could be it that no one is actually willing to argue that potatoes are the devil? That's cool.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Pototos have been unfairly demonised IMHO. They actually have a lot of vitimins and minerals and are one of the most satiating foods
  • gilramirez14
    gilramirez14 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    I roast yukon gold potatoes regularly. 10oz of potatoes are roughly 190 calories. Roast sliced or diced at 425 for 20-25 minutes, turning once. I'll use 5oz of potatoes and a 1/4 or so of onion, sautee in a bit of olive oil, add a bit of seasoning.

Thanks good tip
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I dont think theres any vegetable out there full of empty calories

STAHP ALREADY WITH YOUR CRAZY SENSE-TALKING!!!!
  • gilramirez14
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I
    Who are they?

I eat potatoes 1-3 times a week.

I have just read that mayby its not true

Really consider the source when you read information.

I will I'm just trying to get all my info on everything right there is a lot to learn !!!
  • gilramirez14
    Options
    Eliz_99 wrote: »
    What is an empty calorie? Surely calories are just calories. Anyway I think potatoes are nutritious and filling and so versatile can't think of anything bad about them.

Some calories come from foods that don't really do us much good and can negatively impact our health: spike our blood sugar, clog our arteries, raise blood pressure, etc. If I eat a piece of Edwards cream pie that's 400 calories, those calories aren't going to do anything positive for my health. That pie contains miniscule amounts of vitamins, a lot of potassium, a tiny amount of protein and 12g of saturated fat. Yikes. Oh, and 46g carbohydrates which includes 32g sugar. And that's added, white, processed sugar, not the kind you get from fruit. The pie is absolutely delicious. It is also empty calories, and I don't care what others do; I've cut all that out so I can eat more of the foods that provide...what's the word? Oh yeah --

Nourishment.

If I eat some broiled fish, a potato and some salad that adds up to 400 calories, that's a better quality meal: Lean protein, good oil, vitamins, minerals, fiber. Sure, the idea that CICO determines weight loss has merit, but are we just talking about losng weight and not about staying healthy while we do it?

You know what? I was really well nourished for the day. Like I'd had a very well balanced nutrient dense day. But I was a bit peckish. You know why? I was low on fat.

I just had a very small serving of gelato. That little bit of fat was delicious and now I feel perfectly sated.

It's all about context.

That pie doesn't have to be in the 400 calorie serving, and there are times all those grams of readily available quick-absorbing carbs are needed for energy.

Useful info thanks I try to meet all my mcros on here and it seems impossible some days

• gilramirez14
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

I never said anything about empty calories in vegis just was wondering about potatoes but thanks
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You can't make tater tots without potatoes. Ergo potatoes are good.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    if they fit into your macros and you like them you should eat them. A potato has more potassium than banana and has fiber, vitamin C and iron so they're not empty calories
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes about 1-3 times a week ... as long as you are in your calorie limit and macros its all good. I prefer real potatoes over boxed flakes, though (nutrition wise)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I honestly never knew boxed potatoes were a thing people ate until MFP, and now I seem to be warned off them 10 times a day.
  • l4lisa1234
    l4lisa1234 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat themfrequently but stick to between 150g & 200g, I love the marabel buttery potatoes from Asda and because of the lovely buttery taste you don't need to add anything to them...yummy
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

• shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

I never said anything about empty calories in vegis just was wondering about potatoes but thanks
    Potatoes are a veggie... hence, my reply.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Just had a baked potato for lunch, with loads of cottage cheese mixed with garlic chives and a clove of garlic (cos baked potatoes are nothing without garlic imho), grated edam cheese, and chili sauce. NOM!!! Oh yeah, and some cucumber and tomato on the side.

• steeheart
    steeheart Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you like potatoes, are satisfying to you, and you feel good when you eat one, and it fits into your calorie goals.... Then they are good for you!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Just had a baked potato for lunch, with loads of cottage cheese mixed with garlic chives and a clove of garlic (cos baked potatoes are nothing without garlic imho), grated edam cheese, and chili sauce. NOM!!! Oh yeah, and some cucumber and tomato on the side.

Is it safe to say the potato was covered with LUV?
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are awesome. As others have said, full of great nutrients. I think they are very filling and satisfying for the calories, and actually kind of a treat!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat them. Some weeks more frequently than others. I love potatoes. My favorite way is to make them into little breakfast potatoes