tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    what is a hip sled?
    After googling, it seems it can be used to refer both to the hack squat and leg press. Not sure which she's doing.

hip sled:
    GLPH1100.jpg
    note:
    First image I posted did appear when googling "hack squat" but most of the machine pics were similar to the second pic.

I've always referred that as an inverse leg press. Never heard it called a hip sled though. Learn something new every day lol

If you google "inverse leg press", most of the pictures are of that ^ machine...

Then there's this, vertical leg press:
    powerline_fitness_PVLP156W_vertical_leg_press.jpg

why wouldn't I just uh... squat, bro?

that's the one that's with your butt out and your legs above you?

It's a GREAT machine- its' one of the few I actually use- it really hits that tie in between the hammy and teh glute.

They originally used to do that with just the bar- no machine.

Can you use a regular leg press to get at that?
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    As heavy as she safely can!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    what is a hip sled?
    After googling, it seems it can be used to refer both to the hack squat and leg press. Not sure which she's doing.

hip sled:
    GLPH1100.jpg
    note:
    First image I posted did appear when googling "hack squat" but most of the machine pics were similar to the second pic.

I've always referred that as an inverse leg press. Never heard it called a hip sled though. Learn something new every day lol

If you google "inverse leg press", most of the pictures are of that ^ machine...

It's a GREAT machine- its' one of the few I actually use- it really hits that tie in between the hammy and teh glute.

not really- as someone said- you can use the smith- (first time I saw this was actually on the smith- 2 chicks were doing it and I thought they were more or less trying to get attention LOL)
    or use the actual inverted leg press- the standard leg press has you at a different angle.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    what is a hip sled?

hip sled:
    GLPH1100.jpg
    note:

not really- as someone said- you can use the smith- (first time I saw this was actually on the smith- 2 chicks were doing it and I thought they were more or less trying to get attention LOL)
    or use the actual inverted leg press- the standard leg press has you at a different angle.

Aha, ok. Thanks :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    yeah buddy- *kitten* was scary looking as hell.

wilburmiller-legpress_zpsslb1f7au.jpg

leg_press_zpsyh2l1ogj.png

one machine I'm grateful that exists now. seriously.

Yikes. In the second picture it looks like the guys in the background are standing by with crutches. Though I think that a mop might have been more useful if things went wrong. Very interesting stuff.

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    These pictures are fascinating. It looks like they had special shoes to balance the barbell better. Though how did the one legged guy get it up there? That's the real feat.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    These pictures are fascinating. It looks like they had special shoes to balance the barbell better. Though how did the one legged guy get it up there? That's the real feat.

Probably a floor press. I think the shoes are just old wrestling shoes and not specially designed for this.
  • cmseronka
    cmseronka Posts: 14
    Options
    Im new to MFP and I've never had so much fun watching people get their panties in a wad over lifting! I'm impressed with what others do. I watch videos, ogle them in the gym and Pin their glorious bods on my Pinterest page as motivation. But I am F*&^%ng knocked out by what I can do and my friends, that's all that matters! Keep lifting what you can, as often as you can, until your shriveled up fanny decides it can lift no more! And gentlemen, make sure you do my laundry while your at it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Probably a floor press. I think the shoes are just old wrestling shoes and not specially designed for this.

That's what I was thinking; the shoes are caving in because the bars are heavy as F. I definitely would have killed myself back then. Even the inverted leg press I'd likely mess up. But the incline leg press/hip sled whatever definitely doesn't active muscles like squats. I used it when I injured my tailbone, but I'm not a huge fan (I did get proud that I could do sets of 600lbs back in college, but when you're that overweight, I don't think it's actually much of an accomplishment).
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    [quote="lishie_rebooted;31631587
    Or slightly safer (IMO):

hqdefault.jpg
    ^look a use for the smith machine!
    [/quote]

Holy crap, I seen somebody doing this at the gym once...only he was bringing his *kitten* up off the bench like an ab exercise. I watched in horror, as I was sure he was gonna get his face smashed by the bar.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ryudori wrote: »
    Or slightly safer (IMO):

hqdefault.jpg
    ^look a use for the smith machine!

Holy crap, I seen somebody doing this at the gym once...only he was bringing his *kitten* up off the bench like an ab exercise. I watched in horror, as I was sure he was gonna get his face smashed by the bar.

It can be used as an ab thing- but the two are different movements obviously. We do those unweighted at dance class- they suck.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking; the shoes are caving in because the bars are heavy as F. I definitely would have killed myself back then. Even the inverted leg press I'd likely mess up. But the incline leg press/hip sled whatever definitely doesn't active muscles like squats. I used it when I injured my tailbone, but I'm not a huge fan (I did get proud that I could do sets of 600lbs back in college, but when you're that overweight, I don't think it's actually much of an accomplishment).

Holy crap - you and me, both.

I'm such a klutz. I can barely make it through a free weights workout as it is without pinching fingers, stubbing toes, and tripping over the weights all over the gym. Every now and again I still pitch back too far doing squats and end up teetering on my heels for a second or two. Thank God I have an excellent sense of balance. Saves my *kitten* all the time.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I'm such a klutz. I can barely make it through a free weights workout as it is without pinching fingers, stubbing toes, and tripping over the weights all over the gym. Every now and again I still pitch back too far doing squats and end up teetering on my heels for a second or two. Thank God I have an excellent sense of balance. Saves my *kitten* all the time.

Teetering? Are you using running shoes or cross trainers? If so I recommend you get a better shoe for squatting like Chuck Taylors, CF or lifting shoes. It's only a matter of time before you end up injuring a knee or ankle if you are doing this a lot.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options

why wouldn't I just uh... squat, bro?[/quote]

Its pretty good alternative when you cannot load anything on your shoulders. [/quote]

I have uber tense upper shoulders and neck so this is just a lot less load baring, I also do my calf raises on here because it's easier for me. Not to mention it works everything from my glutes to my hammies. :) We used to use this a lot when I was on the swim team in high school, so I just like it. I mean, this isn't all I use, it just helps target the muscles I don't hit with other leg workouts. :wink:
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Lift as heavy as you want, girl!
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Yeah... that would totally land on my face! Lol. That's why I use the hipsled, there are safeguards so that doesn't happen... those pictures make me cringe..
  • amongstthewildflowers
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, lift as heavy as you can!!
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    c465b8d94fe118a5235a0f3bb2b811eb.320x240x43.gif