Low carb dieters!

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    pugboston wrote: »
    For low carb, stick to protein shakes (low in carb and sugar), protein bars, lean turkey, lean chicken, eggs, cheese, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, sugar free popsicles for sweet cravings, wheat tortillas, saltines if you must have carbs and lots of water and crystal light. Red meat is not recommended, but you can in moderation. Shrimp and fish is ideal. You can do a low carb diet and eat clean without all that fat and nastyiness like the Atkins Diet portrayed.

If you're going to do low carb, then you need to have high fat. If you don't then that protein will be converted and used for energy.
  • almondbutterbay
    almondbutterbay Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    jimbunzol wrote: »
    Here's the last 10 days. TDEE would be 2362 cal/day from IIFYM calculator.

2/27 - 302
    2/28 - 1402
    3/1 - 1948
    3/2 - 0
    3/3 - 1231
    3/4 - 638
    3/5 - 2001
    3/6 - 1320
    3/8 - 2080

What are you trying to figure out?

I understand eating this way *seems* to be working for you right now, but I would be careful because this seems slightly eating disorder-ed, you may want to talk to a doctor or someone about your diet

(If this offends anyone just ignore it)

On another note, I can't believe I read 11 pages of this thread.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    pugboston wrote: »
    For low carb, stick to protein shakes (low in carb and sugar), protein bars, lean turkey, lean chicken, eggs, cheese, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, sugar free popsicles for sweet cravings, wheat tortillas, saltines if you must have carbs and lots of water and crystal light. Red meat is not recommended, but you can in moderation. Shrimp and fish is ideal. You can do a low carb diet and eat clean without all that fat and nastyiness like the Atkins Diet portrayed.

For most, low carb and high protein isn't ideal.

I need low carb high fat
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Really? are we back to that nonsense? If you are eating low carb then you are eating low calorie...

why ? It's fairly trivial for me to eat my TDEE without going over 30 grams of carbohydrate. Bacon and egg is zero carb so I could have 500 or more calories of that. No carbs in steak, butter, cheese. Nuts are low - 600 calories of almonds for 7 grams etc.

It's true to say that many low carb dieters voluntarily reduce calorie intake even when told to eat ad lib, but equally there are low carbers maintaining weight.

never said low carbers could not maintain, so not sure where you are getting that notion from.

what I said is that low carb = CICO …so if you're losing you are in a deficit, if you are maintaining you are in maintenance, etc…

• dechelonian
    dechelonian Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    My issue is that a lot of low carbers claim they can eat as much they want and still lose weight as long as they keep their carbs low.
    As yet I haven't seen a simple straight forward answer to this...
    In other words, low carbers are exempt from calorie counting.
    They can, sort of...

But what they don't realize, or won't admit to, is that going low carb tends to squash ones appetite. So in effect, what they "want" still leaves them in a calorie deficit.

For some, it might squash the appetite effectively. For emotional eaters? Not enough.

Raises hand.

The point I'm trying to make is that there has to be more said, up front, in low carbing circles, that stresses the importance of CICO because it's NOT magic for everyone. People overeat for a variety of reasons. It's not all hormones.

Exactly, there is too much bulls**t around low carbs, people saying its magic and you don't have to restrict yourself with what you eat, that CICO doesn't apply for low carbers and such.

I am currently eating low carbs but only because I found through experimentation that protein and fat is more filling for me than carbs. When I eat mashed potatoes or pasta, I am hungry again shortly after and that doesn't happen to me when I eat, say, a steak with a green leaf salad.

So, low carbs work for me because it helps me feeling full for longer, but they are just another "tool" in the toolset to help me stay in a calory deficit and don't feel hungry all the time. But I know that at the end of the day if you want to loose weight its all about CICO so as you said, if you are an emotional eater or have bad habits like binging a lot, low carbs or high carbs don't matter if you eat at or over maintenance you wont lose weight!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    it would be nice if OP came back and read through this page…..but I think she is long gone...
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    With that being said Mark Haub, a professor at Kansas State University, went on a "convenience store" diet which mainly consisted of Twinkies, Oreos, and Doritos to demonstrate that counting calories is what matters most in weight loss, not the nutritional value in food. He lost 27 pounds in only two months.

That experiment is often mentioned here, unfortunately. Anyway, what amazes me more is how a nutrition professor could actually be at least 27 pounds overweight (unless he gained on purpose before).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    With that being said Mark Haub, a professor at Kansas State University, went on a "convenience store" diet which mainly consisted of Twinkies, Oreos, and Doritos to demonstrate that counting calories is what matters most in weight loss, not the nutritional value in food. He lost 27 pounds in only two months.

That experiment is often mentioned here, unfortunately. Anyway, what amazes me more is how a nutrition professor could actually be at least 27 pounds overweight (unless he gained on purpose before).

degree in nutrition does not equal that one has a healthy weight..

isn't it in england or somewhere where their health department minister is actually "obese"..???
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Regardless of what you say
    To say the truth, I didn't say anything, just suggested something to read.
    Believe me, reading a book won't kill you.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    "More, most, a lot." The vast majority of LC and keto people already know and never claim otherwise that eating at a deficit goes hand in hand with weight loss. It doesn't change the fact that a lot of people on it don't have to bother counting calories to do it, or that they can eat more food to satiety than they did on strict calorie counting that went hand in hand with more deprivation in order to meet a higher carb count.

This isn't some great wisdom anyone is laying down in this thread. Any newbie who shows up to any LC forum or group or website is informed pretty quickly if they have fairy tale dreams of dropping carbs and magically losing 30 lbs. The implication that it's some epidemic, with everyone on lc running around like pied pipers, lying to people about how it works, is the real strawman people have built up just to hear themselves argue.
    \

I should make it clear that when I low-carbed, I didn't really have time to be online. I had a young child and Atkins book. That book was the problem because it did NOT stress calories. It was all the "eat until you feel full" stuff.

I didn't have forum support telling me to eat at and calculate a deficit. I wasn't eating to a deficit after a certain point in my weight loss.

• carbh8er
    carbh8er Posts: 2
    Options

low carb/keto is just a tool for getting yourself in a calorie deficit…

you could accomplish the same with just a 500 calorie per day deficit...

The post you replied to clearly stated that calories were not being restricted. Try reading the entire post, word for word... Eventually you'll realize that low carb diets does not mean that calories are being restricted, or at least you'll start replying to the entire message, not just the parts you want to bash.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    carbh8er wrote: »

The post you replied to clearly stated that calories were not being restricted. Try reading the entire post, word for word... Eventually you'll realize that low carb diets does not mean that calories are being restricted, or at least you'll start replying to the entire message, not just the parts you want to bash.

Strong first post; 29 year old male who has this figured out.
  • carbh8er
    carbh8er Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    --
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

*facepalm*

so much wrong in this post…

if you are low carb then you are low calorie..the two are not mutually exclusive they are the SAME thing….

calories = energy so 100 calories of bagels = 100 calories of ground beef

please post peer reviewed studies show that carbs are 'bad for your body' in people with no medical condition ...

@ndj1979‌ Hold on, you actually believe that low carb and low calorie are the same thing? Do you live on bagels and pasta, or do you live on ground beef? Both are certainly not the same. Perhaps you also believe that the earth is flat?

Strong second post.
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Regardless of what you say
    To say the truth, I didn't say anything, just suggested something to read.
    Believe me, reading a book won't kill you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I might be getting my quacks mixed up, but doesn't Taubes suggest that cico doesn't work and that it's sugar that makes people fat?
  • steeheart
    steeheart Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The best way ive found to drop lbs without pills or starving! Anyone else use this method? Interested in ideas, recipes, and success stories!

Im very happy for you that a low carb diet is working for you. I think the reason so many people around here are anti-low carb diets is because weve done them before. They do work for a time, but its still a diet and its very difficult to keep up a diet for the rest of your life.

When you see success stories of people who lost a lot of weight and keep it off.. its always the same trick. They ate less and exercised more. Try not to get wrapped up in a specific diet like juicing, low carb, paleo or replacing all your meals with kale smoothies etc. Try to find something sustainable. Good luck.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    My issue is that a lot of low carbers claim they can eat as much they want and still lose weight as long as they keep their carbs low.

I am afraid there is not a simple straight forward answer, but if you want to have a look at the science behind the low-carbing you may want to read Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat.
    That being said, I think that low-carbing can have a space also within the CICO dogma, as a strategy to eat less whilst not feeling hungry (and yes you can be in a deficit without counting calories)

NONSENSE
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

That statement is correct to a certain degree.

I can eat meals for the day high in fat and protein and low in carbs, stop when I'm full and still be in a calorie deficit.

Maybe they are not claiming magic, just they can eat the food they want to satisfy their hunger and still be under in cals.

I certainly can do this when I'm low carbing - I definitely can't when I'm not.

All of my weight loss has come from eating in a calorie deficit and I've not logged one piece of food in all that time.

Some people - like myself find following low carb the easy option.

• ndj1979
    Options

so you are saying that you can do low carb, eat in a calorie surplus, and lose weight???

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

degree in nutrition does not equal that one has a healthy weight..

isn't it in england or somewhere where their health department minister is actually "obese"..???

You're thinking of Belgium, Maggie De Block (at least I think she is still the minister for health).

Our Secretary of State for health is Jeremy Hunt (he's a slim Jim).