Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    carbh8er wrote: »

low carb/keto is just a tool for getting yourself in a calorie deficit…

you could accomplish the same with just a 500 calorie per day deficit...

The post you replied to clearly stated that calories were not being restricted. Try reading the entire post, word for word... Eventually you'll realize that low carb diets does not mean that calories are being restricted, or at least you'll start replying to the entire message, not just the parts you want to bash.

so you are saying that you can do low carb, eat in a calorie surplus, and lose weight???

Restricting = Put a limit on / deprive.

If on a low carb diet you can eat till you are full and still be in a calorie deficit, then by the very definition of restriction - you are not restricting you calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

The post you replied to clearly stated that calories were not being restricted. Try reading the entire post, word for word... Eventually you'll realize that low carb diets does not mean that calories are being restricted, or at least you'll start replying to the entire message, not just the parts you want to bash.

so you are saying that you can do low carb, eat in a calorie surplus, and lose weight???

If on a low carb diet you can eat till you are full and still be in a calorie deficit, then by the very definition of restriction - you are not restricting you calories.

but you are sill in a calorie deficit, yes?

• tennisdude2004
    edited March 2015
    Options

Absolutely - that's the only way to lose weight.

But if you are eating all the food you want - you're not restricting calories.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

YOU'RE not restricting calories, but the appetite suppressing effect of ketosis is, right?

The thing is, that appetite suppressing thing doesn't work for people who are emotional eaters. This is my beef with simplistic explanations of low carbing that state "eat all you want". Saying that to an emotional eater is not a good idea. They will eat past the feeling of fullness and past a caloric deficit.

Been there, done that. Didn't lose that much weight on low carb.

It's not that low carb can't be effective, but how it's talked about in general terms could be clearer.

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eating carbs makes me hungry so I eat more; eating fat/protein makes me full so I eat less. So yes, losing weight is super easy for me when I'm eating low-carb. It is non-restrictive because there are no food cravings.

Obviously you need to eat a caloric deficit in order to lose fat. This is simple thermodynamics, whether you're in ketosis or not.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

YOU'RE not restricting calories, but the appetite suppressing effect of ketosis is, right?

The thing is, that appetite suppressing thing doesn't work for people who are emotional eaters. This is my beef with simplistic explanations of low carbing that state "eat all you want". Saying that to an emotional eater is not a good idea. They will eat past the feeling of fullness and past a caloric deficit.

It's not that low carb can't be effective, but how it's talked about in general terms could be clearer.

Yes but It works for me and that's exactly how it works for me, I have no other explanation. Therefore it is factual and it is correct.

I'm not sure I've seen a post saying it works for everyone!!!!

Sorry if it doesn't work for you, that's life. I can't get my tongue to touch the tip of my nose, we've all got *kitten* to deal with.
  • ndj1979
    Options

now you are just playing a semantic game...

if you are low carbing and losing weight then you are in a calorie deficit because you have restricted calories. In this instance, you have chosen to restrict carbs to a minimal amount in order to get into a deficit.

• ndj1979
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Eating carbs makes me hungry so I eat more; eating fat/protein makes me full so I eat less. So yes, losing weight is super easy for me when I'm eating low-carb. It is non-restrictive because there are no food cravings.

Obviously you need to eat a caloric deficit in order to lose fat. This is simple thermodynamics, whether you're in ketosis or not.

so restricting carbs is non restrictive? Got ya...
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Yes but It works for me and that's exactly how it works for me, I have no other explanation. Therefore it is factual and it is correct.

I'm not sure I've seen a post saying it works for everyone!!!!

Sorry if it doesn't work for you, that's life. I can't get my tongue to touch the tip of my nose, we've all got *kitten* to deal with.

Oh, I'm not disputing anything about how it works for you. I'm questioning the words you use and how helpful it might be to someone reading.

Saying that you can "eat until you're full" is a nebulous concept that doesn't explain HOW low carbing works to make you lose weight. To an emotional eater, it sounds like a magic ticket for weight loss.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

if you are low carbing and losing weight then you are in a calorie deficit because you have restricted calories. In this instance, you have chosen to restrict carbs to a minimal amount in order to get into a deficit.

Right. And some of the low carb WK's wonder why some of us have issue with low-carbers? It's because of word games like this.

• tennisdude2004
    Options

If I don't fancy eating something and therefore don't eat it - is that restricting?

I think you will find that the people low carb works for and who find it sustainable, don't really miss eating lots of carbs.

By your definition anyone eating high carb is on a fat restricting diet??

• ndj1979
    Options

If I don't fancy eating something and therefore don't eat it - is that restricting?

I think you will find that the people low carb works for and who find it sustainable, don't really miss eating lots of carbs.

anyone in a calorie deficit is restricting, period.

and as I am cutting right now, I would include myself in that definition. I just choose to restrict all the foods into a deficit.

so yes, if you go high carb and choose to restrict fats, then you are restricting fats.

why is that so hard to understand.

• tennisdude2004
    edited March 2015
    Options

If you do not require, or want as many calories in your diet - is that restricting???

By your definition everything we do is restricting something.

If I eat 10,000 I'm restricting calories because I haven't eaten 10,001.

Surely if you stop eating when you've had enough, then you're not restricting.

I agree you are controlling your calories, but restricting (I don't think so).
  • ndj1979
    Options

If you do not require, or want as many calories in your diet - is that restricting???

I am done playing word games with you.

if you are in a calorie deficit then you are restricting/controlling/eliminating something so that you eat less.

the fact that you are even arguing this is dumb

Go get a thesaurus.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

If you're eating less calories than you expend, you're restricting them, regardless of if you do it consciously or not. Right now I'm restricting my calories against my will because I'm sick and can't bring myself to eat another bite.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

anyone in a calorie deficit is restricting, period.

and as I am cutting right now, I would include myself in that definition. I just choose to restrict all the foods into a deficit.

so yes, if you go high carb and choose to restrict fats, then you are restricting fats.

why is that so hard to understand.

Okay, I'll agree with that definition.

Restricting by controlling, as opposed to restricting by depriving.

It's just that when most people who do not follow or do not like low carb refer to it as a restrictive diet, I think they are referring to depriving!!

But your definition of controlling, I agree with.

So we are in agreement, low carb, moderation, IIFYM are all restricting diets.

• tennisdude2004
    Options

Right. And some of the low carb WK's wonder why some of us have issue with low-carbers? It's because of word games like this.

This is MFP, if you've got more than 1000 posts, then you are one of the people definitely playing the semantics game.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If the goal is fat loss then yes all are restrictive. If the goal is maintenance or a bulk, IIFYM and moderation are not. Low carb still would be...

Not saying that it is a good or bad thing, just that it is...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    If the goal is fat loss then yes all are restrictive. If the goal is maintenance or a bulk, IIFYM and moderation are not. Low carb still would be...

Why would it be if you are eating low carb in a surplus.

You are still eating carbs, just a higher volume of fat. By that definition whatever macro split you have you are restricting something. Unless your split is 33.333% across the board.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Why would it be if you are eating low carb in a surplus.

You are still eating carbs, just a higher volume of fat. By that definition whatever macro split you have you are restricting something. Unless your split is 33.333% across the board.
    I guess in that context you would be right. In order to balance something on one end, something else needs to be restricted on the other...