My 600 Pound Life?

Options

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Do any of you think that Dr. Now gives them to low of a daily calorie intake?

I admit I don't know much about obesity and WLS, so I'm not entirely sure how many calories a day a pateint of WLS is supposed to have, but I think I heard Dr. Now telling one to eat 1,000 or 1200 calories a day. Which would seem like such a drastic change from what they were consuming before that it might be just too hard for them to sustain over a period of time. Even if they were consuming 1400 to 1600 calories a day, they'd still lose, right?

You physically don't have room for any more food than that. You can cheat it, and drink milkshakes and broccoli cheese soup all day, but if you're actually eating normal food, you just don't have anywhere to put it - if you try, it will come back up. Getting up to 1200 is a challenge in itself, especially in the beginning. That's why what is eaten is even more important than how much.

Over time, depending what type of surgery, things stretch or get adjusted, and there's room for more.

So then it completely blows my mind that these people are gaining weight at all after that. Wouldn't they get sick?

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

I admit I don't know much about obesity and WLS, so I'm not entirely sure how many calories a day a pateint of WLS is supposed to have, but I think I heard Dr. Now telling one to eat 1,000 or 1200 calories a day. Which would seem like such a drastic change from what they were consuming before that it might be just too hard for them to sustain over a period of time. Even if they were consuming 1400 to 1600 calories a day, they'd still lose, right?

You physically don't have room for any more food than that. You can cheat it, and drink milkshakes and broccoli cheese soup all day, but if you're actually eating normal food, you just don't have anywhere to put it - if you try, it will come back up. Getting up to 1200 is a challenge in itself, especially in the beginning. That's why what is eaten is even more important than how much.

Over time, depending what type of surgery, things stretch or get adjusted, and there's room for more.

So then it completely blows my mind that these people are gaining weight at all after that. Wouldn't they get sick?

Again, depends on the surgery and the person. For the first 4 or 5 years, I couldn't tolerate refined sugars or alcohol of any kind. If you're really curious, google "dumping syndrome," just don't do it while you're eating. Over time that changed, which isn't really a good thing for me, since it turned out later I need to be on restricted carbs for other reasons. I vividly remember at my appointment to get the staples out, there was another woman in the waiting room who was upset because she'd figured out by accident that she could drink regular Coke and not get sick. She was only about a month ahead of me for surgery, but she'd almost completely stalled her weight loss by going back to drinking pop all day, every day. (that's her version, I don't doubt once she realized she could digest sugar still, she just went back to eating everything she used to).

The other thing is the example I used, of sabotaging with milkshakes and cheesy soup - that was actually the example used by the surgeon at the information sessions they had for people interested in surgery. It was also the reason we all had to have extensive counseling, and wouldn't be approved unless the shrink said ok. It gets back to the idea that these people are being chosen for good tv rather than good candidates for the surgery, and that the bariatric surgery business in general is being run more like a business than it was 20 years ago.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options

I don't see how anyone could think a 400 pound woman needed to be tube fed for nutrition.

Actually, a large number of people that have had WLS become malnourished. Just because you are heavy, does not mean you have enough nutrients in your body.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    On my BFFL, I do think she takes "Body Positive" image a bit too far. She was teaching a dance class in her bra top. Everyone else in the room had a t shirt or tank top on. She was the only one showing belly. It just was not appropriate. At least she is working out.

She gets tons of literal "hate" mail. I feel bad for the gal, but I agree, there is more going on than PCOS. However, it is good to provide education that obesity is linked to other health problems.

Kinda like Lena Dunham on Girls? That chick loves to take off her clothes and I'm all like "put them back on!"

I'm all for positive body image and feel like women have too much pressure on them to look a certain way. But there comes to a point where yeah - 'real women have curves' blah blah but Whitney is very, very unhealthy - and there's noting positive about that.

It might not have anything to do with being healthy or positive, maybe they are just comfortable. I am about the size of Whitney and I am very comfortable in my own skin, I have no issues with swimming or even public showers/change rooms. I am really not there to please anyone, I am just living my life......
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

I had a friend years ago, and she had WLS and 'tried' to eat healthy for a few weeks or so....after that, she literally lived off Cheetos and chocolate, because junk food like that liquefied quicker and she could eat nearly as much as she wanted without getting sick or having heartburn etc. As time went on, she ate less and less actually food, almost none after a year or two. She gained back every single pound she lost.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I have had WLS, and did overeat one time. I was incredibly sick, and in pain. And I did vomit, and dry heave. It was pretty grueling.

After awhile your stomach does stretch back out.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    On my BFFL, I do think she takes "Body Positive" image a bit too far. She was teaching a dance class in her bra top. Everyone else in the room had a t shirt or tank top on. She was the only one showing belly. It just was not appropriate. At least she is working out.

She gets tons of literal "hate" mail. I feel bad for the gal, but I agree, there is more going on than PCOS. However, it is good to provide education that obesity is linked to other health problems.

Kinda like Lena Dunham on Girls? That chick loves to take off her clothes and I'm all like "put them back on!"

I'm all for positive body image and feel like women have too much pressure on them to look a certain way. But there comes to a point where yeah - 'real women have curves' blah blah but Whitney is very, very unhealthy - and there's noting positive about that.

It might not have anything to do with being healthy or positive, maybe they are just comfortable. I am about the size of Whitney and I am very comfortable in my own skin, I have no issues with swimming or even public showers/change rooms. I am really not there to please anyone, I am just living my life......

Yep. And I wouldn't necessarily say being in a bra top is inappropriate. As someone who almost exclusively does classes for exercise, I will tell you those freakin things are 100% optional - no one is being forced to be there against their free will and no matter how any instructor may feel, anyone can leave at anytime. If people are attending, my assumption is they don't mind terribly. When I used to be into Zumba a lot, I watched this California instructor on YouTube and half his class was in bra tops. In that case I'd say it was somewhat regional, though. We used to have a chick show up for BodyCombat in booty shorts. It was a little hard on the eyes but oh well

• jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Weight loss surgery is only a tool. At the beginning you feel constricted when you eat maybe eating 400-500 calories a day but after time you are able to eat more. But in one sitting you will never be able to eat like you did before surgery but you can find a way around it. You can eat your meals and drink liquids right after so that that pushes your food along faster removing the fullness and you can continue eating, you can drink high caloric drinks or you can graze all day long and consume more than your recommended calories. Also for bypass surgery folks the dumping syndrome disappears after time and they can actually eat more sugar. So surgery is not the end to the obesity. You have to actually learn how to eat and so the surgery doesnt solve the over-eaters problems.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

I don't know who Lena Dunham is, but I think comfort is what Whitney is going for, as well as not wanting to seem like the self-conscious "fat girl" who is willing to forsake comfort and hide behind cumbersome fabric.

One of the best scenes of her show was when she was shopping for a bathing suit and she was irritated by the plus size bathing suits that had all this extra cover-up material as part of the design and she said she didn't want to be that fat girl on the beach constantly doing this {tugging at a bathing suit tank top to keep it pulled down over and covering up belly/hips}.

It's kind of funny, she knew she was going to be judged and couldn't win regardless if she chose to cover up ("she's insecure!") or not to cover up ("she has no shame!"). Might as well be judged and comfortable than be judged and miserable.

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I really like this show. When the people succeed, it's nice to see their struggle bearing fruit. Even when they don't succeed, I also feel like I'm learning something about how some people can be so manipulative, codependent, and in total denial. Kind of amazing either way.

I watched the Zsalynn episode this morning and her husband was such a jerk. I hope she has left him by now.
  • Robertus
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    I watched the Zsalynn episode this morning and her husband was such a jerk. I hope she has left him by now.
    Yes, she kicked him out. Good riddance!

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/08/my-600-lb-life-star-shed-316-pounds-and-unsupportive-hubby/21126664/
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Yes, she kicked him out. Good riddance!

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/08/my-600-lb-life-star-shed-316-pounds-and-unsupportive-hubby/21126664/

That's great!! He was a total a$$face!!

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Zsalynn was probably one of the better stories on My 600 Pound Life. She really changed for her daughter. I was so impressed with her. And her struggling, but she really worked hard to lose weight. And have the strength to kick her husband to the curb. Kudos to her!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    You guys and your spoilers! I've not watched the latest episode yet :)
  • Robertus
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    You guys and your spoilers! I've not watched the latest episode yet :)
    Oops, sorry. But Zsalynn's story is a rerun from last year and the info on her kicking out her jerk husband was not part of the episode.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Just finished Joe's story. Couple things about his story annoyed me, and a couple things I thought were really good about his episode.

First, his "trauma" or issue or whatever that drove him to overeat was that his dad didn't pay much attention to him. Gave him lots of games and movies instead of, I dunno, hugging him all day long or tossing a ball with him like a hallmark card commercial come to life. Good grief. Guy must have had a pretty great life if that was the best excuse for his overeating habit that he could craft.

And, unless I missed it, no one seemed to notice or comment on the fact that his mother must have been 500+ lbs herself. What drove her to over eat to where she's almost the size of her 700 lb son? It's almost like there may have been some bad habits that went on in the same household or something.
    She should have her own episode.

What I liked was that they didn't do the surgery until the end, and that Joe had to learn about diet, nutrition labels, and eating right from a nutritionist and put what he learned into practice to lose weight himself in a sensible way prior to surgery. It also looked like they showed him tracking his diet on the MFP app, but that camera shot of his logging was too quick for me to be certain.

This episode was much more sensible in that Joe appeared to get some actual direction on what to do, rather than that starvation jello diet that Angel apparently concocted herself to lose an obscene amount of weight in a few months.

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    This is just an observation, but has anyone else noticed that a lot of these patients have really terrible teeth?

And yeah, it was nice to see someone (Joe) have to learn to read labels/eat right and work through some issues in therapy BEFORE surgery.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    This is just an observation, but has anyone else noticed that a lot of these patients have really terrible teeth?

And yeah, it was nice to see someone (Joe) have to learn to read labels/eat right and work through some issues in therapy BEFORE surgery.

I noticed this too. I think it's because these people just can't get to a dentist. I think most of them would have difficulty getting in and out of a standard dentist chair.

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think this is more to do with socio-economic factors than mobility issues. They often live in pretty bad housing too, and seem to be not very well educated.

Wow, that comes across as really judgemental, but statistics show that if you're poor and have low standards of education, you're more likely to be very obese than a richer, more educated person.

This latest series of stories is making me more uncomfortable than previous ones. It's like the director says "OK, we have to make you look as gigantic and pathetic as we can. Can you take all your clothes off and try to wash yourself? Excellent. Now try to get out of the chair. Eat this. Now this. Let's take some footage of your terrible shoes..."

Also, Joe annoyed me with his whining. Usually I feel desperately sorry for the patients, but this time I was irritated by him and more concerned about his mother who could barely move.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist telling Joe and his mom that everything in their fridge/pantry was terrible was a really awkward scene. I don't understand how someone can be 800 lbs and not realize that dousing everything in ranch dressing is a bad idea. Dr. Now said he had to be eating 10,000+ calories a day to gain 15 lbs in a month.

I wish the best for everyone on the show and hope they all succeed but Joe seems doomed to fail, simply because he doesn't understand that he's doing it to himself. His mother sitting next to him at nearly 500 lbs herself, crying about "I don't know what to do" after she just brought him a giant tray of nachos with a soda AND a shake... smh