My 600 Pound Life?

Options

Replies

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    I wish the best for everyone on the show and hope they all succeed but Joe seems doomed to fail, simply because he doesn't understand that he's doing it to himself. His mother sitting next to him at nearly 500 lbs herself, crying about "I don't know what to do" after she just brought him a giant tray of nachos with a soda AND a shake... smh
    I remember cry, asking myself how did I get so fat while eating a large supreme pizza until it finally clicked.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Ahh spoilers! lol. I have Joe's story recorded and I'm going to watch it after I get home from the gym tonight.

I feel awkward myself because I usually eat my dinner while watching this show.
  • slovie64
    slovie64 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Did anyone see Joe's story last night (3.11.15)? I was so moved by the fact that he was able to lose 150 POUNDS pre-surgery! I wish the show didn't end before he had lost more of the weight. I need an update on him!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    slovie64 wrote: »
    Did anyone see Joe's story last night (3.11.15)? I was so moved by the fact that he was able to lose 150 POUNDS pre-surgery! I wish the show didn't end before he had lost more of the weight. I need an update on him!

I'm going to have to catch this...hopefully it's up OnDemand soon. I missed it last night :(

• DucklingPrincess
    DucklingPrincess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole topic. I haven't seen the show, but if it's scaring people into working harder, maybe I should try an episode. Is it on YouTube?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It was amazing. If you caught a glimpse of his phone pre-surgery when he talked about counting calories, I'm pretty sure that was MFP he was using.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole topic. I haven't seen the show, but if it's scaring people into working harder, maybe I should try an episode. Is it on YouTube?

It's on HULU. If you have a cable/sat company, it might be on demand too, even if you don't subscribe to the channel.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think there are bound to be spoilers in this thread. ;) Maybe the OP can edit the title to add "Spoilers"?

I was amazed and very happy that Joe's story actually didn't include the surgery - not because I mind the surgery (I'm fascinated with all things medical); it's the fact that he lost so much weight without it (before it) that made me happy. Way to go, Joe!

For the record, I'm a non-secondary educated middle-income moron who can talk circles around nearly everyone I know. ;) I agree that it's not lack of education that's making these people so overweight (and that makes "lower economic status" individuals as a group more overweight than the college-educated). We all KNOW that too much high-calorie food makes us fat; my eight-year-old knows that. And any kindergartener can parrot that "vegetables and fruit are healthy and chips aren't!" Simplistic or not, and giving wiggle room for one's definition of healthy, granted. But come on.

It is a comfort thing, and it is taught. "Turn to food when times are bad." The fact that food gives an automatic rush of sorts, physically, cements the idea. (Case in point: Joe's mother...and you'll notice that there are, generally, other very overweight people in the families of the profiled people in this series.) We all need to turn to SOMETHING. If a person can't get away on vacation, go power-shopping or what-have-you, and/or can't afford therapy which can give the tools to find other comfort strategies, yes, it's as likely as not that said person will turn to something s/he can afford: food, and lots of it.

I finally caught Amber's story and her progress was absolutely amazing. I hope she gets that physical therapy to help her to walk more comfortably.
  • dbah2012
    dbah2012 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It was amazing. If you caught a glimpse of his phone pre-surgery when he talked about counting calories, I'm pretty sure that was MFP he was using.

It was MFP that he was using. Shout out to MFP!

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Just finished Joe's story. Couple things about his story annoyed me, and a couple things I thought were really good about his episode.

First, his "trauma" or issue or whatever that drove him to overeat was that his dad didn't pay much attention to him. Gave him lots of games and movies instead of, I dunno, hugging him all day long or tossing a ball with him like a hallmark card commercial come to life. Good grief. Guy must have had a pretty great life if that was the best excuse for his overeating habit that he could craft.

And, unless I missed it, no one seemed to notice or comment on the fact that his mother must have been 500+ lbs herself. What drove her to over eat to where she's almost the size of her 700 lb son? It's almost like there may have been some bad habits that went on in the same household or something.
    She should have her own episode.

What I liked was that they didn't do the surgery until the end, and that Joe had to learn about diet, nutrition labels, and eating right from a nutritionist and put what he learned into practice to lose weight himself in a sensible way prior to surgery. It also looked like they showed him tracking his diet on the MFP app, but that camera shot of his logging was too quick for me to be certain.

This episode was much more sensible in that Joe appeared to get some actual direction on what to do, rather than that starvation jello diet that Angel apparently concocted herself to lose an obscene amount of weight in a few months.

+ 1

Although, I cringed when I heard the "nutritionist" say that he shouldn't eat the egg yolks because they contain cholesterol. Arg! Dietary cholesterol does NOT increase serum cholesterol. Eat the damn yolks!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I think there are bound to be spoilers in this thread. ;) Maybe the OP can edit the title to add "Spoilers"?

I was amazed and very happy that Joe's story actually didn't include the surgery - not because I mind the surgery (I'm fascinated with all things medical); it's the fact that he lost so much weight without it (before it) that made me happy. Way to go, Joe!

For the record, I'm a non-secondary educated middle-income moron who can talk circles around nearly everyone I know. ;) I agree that it's not lack of education that's making these people so overweight (and that makes "lower economic status" individuals as a group more overweight than the college-educated). We all KNOW that too much high-calorie food makes us fat; my eight-year-old knows that. And any kindergartener can parrot that "vegetables and fruit are healthy and chips aren't!" Simplistic or not, and giving wiggle room for one's definition of healthy, granted. But come on.

It is a comfort thing, and it is taught. "Turn to food when times are bad." The fact that food gives an automatic rush of sorts, physically, cements the idea. (Case in point: Joe's mother...and you'll notice that there are, generally, other very overweight people in the families of the profiled people in this series.) We all need to turn to SOMETHING. If a person can't get away on vacation, go power-shopping or what-have-you, and/or can't afford therapy which can give the tools to find other comfort strategies, yes, it's as likely as not that said person will turn to something s/he can afford: food, and lots of it.

I finally caught Amber's story and her progress was absolutely amazing. I hope she gets that physical therapy to help her to walk more comfortably.

I think there is a wisdom factor, rather than educational. I've had people here post telling me horrible pseudoscience about my WOE, while insisting it must be true because they learned it in their nutrition class in college. I also know high school dropouts who have still figured out how to stay at maintenance while working in a restaurant kitchen all day. It's not income, either, because there are plenty of families getting by on poverty level or less because they only cook from scratch using basic ingredients instead of paying double or triple to get the same food from McDonald's or the frozen food aisle, with the whole house at normal weights.

People are choosing to eat fast food 3 times a day and snack on entire hungry man dinners in between. Or, they're eating 4000 calories of Lean Cuisine and chasing it with Diet Coke, thinking that because it's diet food, that's all that matters.

There's a show that used to be on in the UK, and I think Oprah's channel aired it here for a while, called Super Sized vs Super Skinny. Some old episodes are on youtube. In the earlier seasons of the show, it would start with each person seeing an entire week's worth of their food dropped into a giant clear cylinder, so they could see how much they were actually eating. Most of them had no clue, and were mortified when they saw the food just keep dropping and dropping. The rest of the show was the overweight and underweight person swapping diets for 3 days, and the overweight ones would be hangry, living on Red Bull and a slice of pizza every day, while they'd watch the underweight one unable to eat even 1/4 of the food on their plate at every meal.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

Wow, that comes across as really judgemental, but statistics show that if you're poor and have low standards of education, you're more likely to be very obese than a richer, more educated person.

My grandparents had only grammar school education maybe went until 5th-6th grade and were poor but they were not obese, not even remotely. So I totally disagree with this. My parents didnt go to high school and were poor. By the time I was in grammar school we poor enough to qualify for food stamps, the free block of cheese, free xmas dinners at the YMCA with a gift and public housing. Neither of my parents or my siblings were obese. So I strongly disagree with this once more. Just saying.
  • jazzine1
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I think there is a wisdom factor, rather than educational. I've had people here post telling me horrible pseudoscience about my WOE, while insisting it must be true because they learned it in their nutrition class in college. I also know high school dropouts who have still figured out how to stay at maintenance while working in a restaurant kitchen all day. It's not income, either, because there are plenty of families getting by on poverty level or less because they only cook from scratch using basic ingredients instead of paying double or triple to get the same food from McDonald's or the frozen food aisle, with the whole house at normal weights.

People are choosing to eat fast food 3 times a day and snack on entire hungry man dinners in between. Or, they're eating 4000 calories of Lean Cuisine and chasing it with Diet Coke, thinking that because it's diet food, that's all that matters.

There's a show that used to be on in the UK, and I think Oprah's channel aired it here for a while, called Super Sized vs Super Skinny. Some old episodes are on youtube. In the earlier seasons of the show, it would start with each person seeing an entire week's worth of their food dropped into a giant clear cylinder, so they could see how much they were actually eating. Most of them had no clue, and were mortified when they saw the food just keep dropping and dropping. The rest of the show was the overweight and underweight person swapping diets for 3 days, and the overweight ones would be hangry, living on Red Bull and a slice of pizza every day, while they'd watch the underweight one unable to eat even 1/4 of the food on their plate at every meal.

I saw 1 episode of this show on youtube. Eewwww that food tube was just disgusting, and the food looked like vomit. That tube alone would make me not want to eat.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Most of the people succeed. Except for Penny. Everyone should watch her story - part one and two - to see what denial really looks like.

Penny totally killed me, total denial.
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I can't watch that show or any show about morbidly obese people. I've seen a couple of episodes. I can't relate and it makes me shake my head in disgust. just being honest.

sorry but this is the same with me. It makes me really sad, honestly.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Its sad. I cant say it motivates me, but definitely scares me. I am pushing 300 lbs and I just keep getting heavier and heavier. But I am hopelessly addicted to sugar, pop, and fast food, and even though my weight depresses me enough to give me suicidal thoughts ever now and again, I still find it incredibly hard to give up what is making me fat and unhappy, because on some level, those things make me happy.Its a struggle, and I
    can strongly relate to some of those people.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options

I know someone already asked this upstream, but I have to ask it again -- if someone like Joe is capable of losing 150lbs on his own pre surgery, why do they do the gastric bypass at all instead of just carrying on with diet and exercise? He's doing so well on his own and has already improved his health so much, why cut into him and mess around with his insides when you could just let him carry on?
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    jazzine1 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

Wow, that comes across as really judgemental, but statistics show that if you're poor and have low standards of education, you're more likely to be very obese than a richer, more educated person.

My grandparents had only grammar school education maybe went until 5th-6th grade and were poor but they were not obese, not even remotely. So I totally disagree with this. My parents didnt go to high school and were poor. By the time I was in grammar school we poor enough to qualify for food stamps, the free block of cheese, free xmas dinners at the YMCA with a gift and public housing. Neither of my parents or my siblings were obese. So I strongly disagree with this once more. Just saying.

We're talking about statistics, though, so individual cases don't really mean anything one way or the other.

The facts of the matter are more complicated, as usual, but it's not inaccurate to say that a poor person is more likely to be obese, generally speaking:

http://frac.org/initiatives/hunger-and-obesity/are-low-income-people-at-greater-risk-for-overweight-or-obesity/
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    wamydia wrote: »

I know someone already asked this upstream, but I have to ask it again -- if someone like Joe is capable of losing 150lbs on his own pre surgery, why do they do the gastric bypass at all instead of just carrying on with diet and exercise? He's doing so well on his own and has already improved his health so much, why cut into him and mess around with his insides when you could just let him carry on?

My husband and I were asking each other the same question last night. The only thing I could come up with was that they were motivated by the thought of the surgery, so they were hanging in with the pre-surgery diet, but with that taken away (the possibility of surgery) they might just give up because they felt it would feel as difficult (as the diet) for the rest of their lives without the surgery.

I mean I don't actually know - only they know.

• jazzine1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »

The data is old as you can see from the years the data was observed but the article states:

According to one recent nationally representative sample, obesity prevalence was higher in lower income and education groups, but the rate of increase in obesity over two decades was faster for higher income and education groups (Singh et al., 2011). For instance, between 1992 and 2008, obesity prevalence increased by 42.3 percent for the lower income group compared to 88.5 percent for the higher income group.
    NHANES data from 1971 to 2002 indicate that rates of obesity increased among both the poor and non-poor over a 30 year period, and those rates of obesity were 5.1 to 6.5 percentage points higher among the poor compared to the non-poor (Jollife, 2011). However, this relationship between obesity and poverty “appears to no longer exist” as more recent NHANES data (2003 to 2006) suggest no difference in obesity rates between the two groups. In addition, rates of obesity increased by 62 percent among the poor and by 155 percent among the non-poor from 1971 to 2006.

National data from over 3 decades (1971 to 2002) suggests a weakening association between SES (based on the poverty income ratio) and child obesity over time, especially among adolescents (Wang & Zhang, 2006).