WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello, all.......warnng, not the usual,

I've had a huge shock today and I'm still incredulous and my mind is just jumping around. I've talked about my older friend Gwen and mentioned her gardener many times, a super, super guy. Most of you will also remember my sorrow and anger over how many male cousins in my family have died as a result of guns, either suicide or shot by another. Well, it's happened again, this time Gwen's gardener shot and killed someone and has been arrested. I just spoke with him last week. I am beyond stunned and can't wrap my mind around him doing it; don't know the story yet but the kid was only 18. Never did I EVER imagine growing up that I would know anyone who killed or was killed......and it just happens over and over. I am sooooooooo angry. What is wrong with us???

Nothing else to say today.
    yanniejannie
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Coffee time......And being as everyone else is checking their phones. .... I will too!

DMIL survived her Colonoscopy and endoscopy. Nothing more than we didn't already know. ... she has (and has had for 20+ years) acid reflux. When we got in the car she said "I feel empty. .let's eat " ;)

Well. ...back to work.
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    Oh, Yanniejannie! Hugs for you. That kind of thing happens way too much. It always is unbelievable when it is someone you know. I'm sorry.

This is a busy week for me with meetings every night, all day Saturday, and 9:30 Sunday morning. Three different ones require reports from me. I need to let go of something. To procrastinate on those reports, I did our taxes and cleaned the bathroom and kitchen floors. Now I'm going grocery shopping. I will get it all done sooner or later. I like to live on the edge apparently! I think in reality it is sub-conscious passive aggressive rebellion.

Have a good day, my friends.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Jane--Congrates on the new grandbaby. Hope you get lots of cuddle time. She is a cutie.
    Michele--Thanks, It would be better for them to make friends before summer. I just worry as DD is moving there for a man she just met.
    Joyce--I think you did the right thing, The manager said he had never thought about it, so bringing to his attention was the right thing to do. The important thing is not to give up. I am up from where I was last summer . One Day at a Time.
    Mikemom--I feel so bad for all the snow you have out East. Jake also looks like he is not sure what to think of the snow.
    Selena--I have a fitbit and I love it. It keeps track of my steps and lets me know when I do not reach 10,000. I also like the fact I can track my days and see what days I am getting more steps.
    Gail--Sorry to hear about your sister. I lost my DS, it will be 10 eyars this next August. I miss you lots, but she is not in pain and with dad. Sending HUGS and PRAYERS.
    Sue SD--Congrates on selling your house.
    Tina--love the pictures and the turtle is good advice.
    Sylvia--Glad to see you post and sounds like you need to have someone figure out your bowel issues. I have been having the night sweats alot lately. Sure hope they pass soon.
    Sharon--sending prayers and hugs to all of you. Sometimes the courts make no sense.
    Meg--Sorry to hear about the drama with DD#1. So does that mean she is alone with the baby?
    Selena--It is ok to write long posts. Someone on here needs to hear it and that is what we are here for.
    Allison--Sure hope you feel better soon. Take care of you.
    Mary--Congrates on reaching your goal!!
    Chris--I put the soap under my sheet by my feel and have had alot less cramps at night.
    Sharon—Glad to hear you are taking positive steps.
    Cynthia—Sending positive thoughts and prayers for your job interview.
    Yanniejannie—I am so sorry for your loss. Sending HUGS! When I was 24 I was dating a young man and one afternoon we were out looking at houses. My DS who was 5 at the time was with us. Anyway we happened to drive by his ex-wifes and she had thrown a lot of things in the yard. Anyway he stopped to talk to her and I knew he had a handgun under the front seat of the car, but didn’t think about it until he grabbed it and shot himself in the head. That was the first time I had ever seen anyone die and the shock. So I do understand how you feel. It has been 33 years and I still wounder why.
    Time is just getting away from me. It is Wednesday already. I have my interview for the lead job this afternoon at 3. I have mixed feelings about it as things are so messed up with the hospital, insurance, and doctors. No one is happy. We are going out of town for the weekend to a CMA rally and really looking forward to that.
    DSIL and DBIL got moved in. They are living in the basement which is finished and we are sharing the kitchen. With all their stuff my kitchen is stuffed. I have areal small one anyway and now it is driving me nuts. I like things neat and put away. They have some much food I ran out of space. Deep breath!!! Then yesterday DBIL ended up back in the hospital. So not sure what will happened next. So looking forward to getting away acouple days.
    Well ladies it has been beautiful weather here this week. Today is to hit 70. So planning a nice long walk after work. One Day at a Time.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie and Vicki: I don't know what to say except (((hugs))).

Cynthia
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm back from the farm, it was a very emotional few days. We've lost so many recently that I think that everyone is numb. I wasn't able to get to visit the aunt who is in the hospital, and things aren't going very well for her. It was her 88th birthday on Saturday and she and my uncle celebrated their 68th wedding anniversary last week as well.

I discovered that it is very difficult to eat well when someone else is doing the cooking, and tools you've gotten used to are not available...such as weigh scales & measuring cups. I empathize with those of you who have to travel a lot. I did take over a lot of the cooking so that I could make sure that things were baked, instead of fried etc.

Sylvia, glad to hear that things are moving along and you're starting to feel better. Sharon in Lethbridge hope things get better for you soon! Yanniejannie, about a year ago someone I knew very well was shot and killed. I still don't think I'm over the shock of it. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Lillian - I'm glad SK did so well in the briar! I'm missing curling already.

Congrats to everyone meeting their goals and seeing success and prayers and hugs to those that need them.

Thought for the day: Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have - life itself. Walter Anderson

Carey in Edmonton
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Barbie - welcome home! I hope that you enjoyed your time away!

Sharon in Lethbridge - sorry to hear about your DSIL!

Gilly - congratulations on your 6 lb success!

Grandmallie - I hope you feel better really soon!

Di aka Chickaboo - I love your handle! Great success story!

Pipcd34 - sorry to hear about your cold! Hope you feel better today!

Sylvia - I am still praying for you to get healthy! Take care of yourself. Love the jokes! 130lbs fantastic! BM'S are exciting!

Heather - glad you had fun on your date day! I'm like you, we are selling our house because I don't like to be so isolated.

Chris in MA - I will have to try your soap when I get home!

Yanniejannie - yey! Spring is here, I am hoping some of my old old spring clothes fit!

Katla in beautiful Oregon - I hope you had fun with your cousin at lunch yesterday! Have a fun trip!

Janet in Myrtle Beach - sounds like a shopping trip is in order! We are warming to the 50's this week it's beautiful here finally out of the freezer!

Cynthia - weird about the tooth. Horses can be very spendy, but worth it!

Selena - toot, toot all you want!

Cindy in S MD - thanks! I hope your Dr visit went well.

Lesley - I love your dream!

Meg - sounds like a good shopping trip!

TNToni - congratulations on the weight loss!

Michele in NC - rumikube, I use to play that! Great job on your eating and drinking!

Sweetandsassyfied - I am glad that you are here! I love your encouragement and humor!

Joyce in Indiana - I'm glad you had a nice lunch. I agree small groups are better for visiting.

Sharon in Lethbridge - Chico sounds like such a sweetheart!

Snowdoggy - you might change your name to sundoggy with the nice weather!

Alwaysonadiet54 - I agree! When I do eat what I shouldn't I pay for it later!

Terri in Milwaukee - welcome back!

Carol in NC - good job on your steps!

Diana loves coffee - great news about people noticing your weight loss!

Lillian - thanks! Have a good time with your
    DMIL I am with mine right now!

Yanniejannie - I am sorry that young man did that. I just found out yesterday that my friend's DGGD 14 committed suicide Last weekend. Shocking behavior is becoming normal. Maybe video games are desensitizing youth.

Drkatiebug - take some time to relax!

Vicki GI NE - good luck on your interview!

Carey in Edmonton - great thought for the day!

Whew,finally caught up while my DMIL is busy getting treated like a queen! Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Sylvia ~ Yeah! You are on your way to recovery!

YannieJannie ~ so sorry to hear about the tragic event in your life. It seems like this type of thing is happening more and more.

Heather ~ I'm sorry you are feeling restless. I have turned into a hermit and hardly ever go anywhere. All I can think of is that when I worked it was all about work and I never had time to socialize or make new friends. At least you have the memories of your latest trip to look back on and a new trip in the future to plan for.

Carol ~ GA
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I am unbelievably saddened by all the gun stories. We hear it on the news here every day, but having it so close is something words can not express. Know that I hold you all in my heart and prayers.

Anyone feeling restless, feel free to stop in here for a few days. I would happily hand over transportation needs for my DS. This weekend alone: Friday 8-10pm baseball practice(HS). Saturday 10:30am-12:30pm bowling. 1pm-2pm baseball (LL). 2pm - 3pm basketball. 3pm - ? Bowling tournament. 8pm-10pm baseball (HS). Luckily this Sunday will truly be a day of rest (nothing yet planned).

In a few more weeks I am having my kitchen floor replaced, so that will be at least 3 days of take-out food. Since I will have access to my work computer and laptop at home, I will be able to log the food, and should be able to stay on track. Plus, all the stories and support I get from all of you - this lifechange feels possible.

I hope you can all make it a great day! Hugs ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (I am still only on page 16, so sorry if I didn't get to respond to you personally, since my work day is almost complete, and we have 2 different baseball sessions tonight, too).
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    So many sad stories about violence. Hugs to all the people who are in pain.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thursday here and feeling a bit better. I cleaned house although it did not need it, Cried at Mildred's grave then remembered the dream.
    Stan took me for a drive out TIP visit with numerous bags, we are rural and a 1 hour round trip. Ta thanks.
    Stan has gone fishing today and phoned to say windy and cold and NO fish
    I slept in until 8am and then did Wii Gold's boxing, going to do Wii Biggest Loser for weights soon
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Vicki and Jan ... there are no words ...

Sylvia ... glad to hear things are "moving in the right direction!" ;)

Today we went on our first college information tour for DS#2 ... it's been a while since we've been on a campus. Walking tour portion was almost two hours long! He loved the school ... which thrilled us since it's the least expensive on his list of possibilities!

Food choices are still off-track ... swift kick in the derriere needed here!

Very tired tonight ... heading off to bed early.

Beth in WNY
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    smiley-sleep012.gifI hope that one more early to bed night will be what I need to finally get rested after my out of town trip. I was active today (line dance class, dog walking, 25,000 steps, time on the exercise bike while watching TV).

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

146200.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening, Lovely Ladies,

Terri, welcome back and congrats on no weight gain. It’s not always easy when traveling so we know you worked at eating right.

Deb, welcome back. I agree that this group of ladies really helps keep me on track.

Carol NC, I’m giggling as I picture the track you wore in the carpet. We all have to do what we have to do, and good for you. :p

Diana
    , how wonderful that people are noticing your weight loss. I know that has to feel great!

Katla, you are right about the importance of sleep. I vote for moving to a different room or whatever it takes so that you get a good night’s rest.

Heather
    , it’s too bad that you don’t drive so you could go into town and meet with friends any time you wanted. My DH is much the same way and happy to stay at home with no visitors. At least he doesn’t mind that I go meet friends and have activities outside of the house. If I plan something for us he is really good about going but I just finally got tired of doing that so now we just have the occasional day date. On those we usually have lunch and do a little shopping and I do enjoy his company.

Sylvia
    , Woo Hoo for a natural BM. Lol I do hope this is the beginning of something bigger! I still don’t understand why it is so hard to keep food down? Has the nausea let up? Are you able to drink plenty of water? Glad for the movement but still worried about you. <3

Yannie
    , I feel the same way. It just seems like the world has gone MAD. That is so sad about the shooting and my thoughts are with you. :(

Lillian, did you feed her? You just made me laugh. I’m sure she did feel empty and for a good reason. Glad all went well.

Viki, I can’t imagine having anyone move in with me. I try to be flexible but like things the way I have them. You will just have to practice lots of patience as your new arrangement settles. I hope DBIL is okay? I’m happy that you can get away this weekend.

DrKatie
    , you really wanted to procrastinate to choose cleaning floors over doing your reports. LOL

Mary, so sad about your friend’s DGGD. I just don’t know what’s gotten into kids these days?

Terri, I am worn out just reading about your taxi service. I hope they all appreciate you.

Beth, how many and how hard of kicks do you need? >:) On the other hand, you know you can do it so just get with it. You know we are all behind you.

Barbie
    , I hope you get a good night’s sleep and it does the trick.

It was a glorious day in SC. DH and I sat on the screened porch with the dogs for a good while this afternoon. It will drop back to the 60’s for the next few days but I can take it. I’m doing good on exercising lately and really trying to push it a little more. Oh yes, and today I put on a crop pant outfit that I had outgrown a few years ago and it was a bit baggy. Gotta love it!

I hope you all sleep well

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Just a thought for all of you, like Barbie, who are so tired, it could be the time change. Hopefully rest and sunshine will help you feel better soon.

Speaking of sunshine, it was almost 60 degrees and sunny today here in snow covered MA and it put a smile on everyone's face. People, including me and Jake the rescue dog, were walking around grinning. We walked downtown and then to the "Boulevard" which is right on the water. This is where the famous Gloucester Fisherman Statue is (The Man Behind the Wheel), some of you may recognize it from the Gorton's fish packages. There was too much snow to walk to and on the Boulevard until it began melting yesterday.

Just got back from my yogalates class, I think it is PiYo in some parts of the county (yoga and Pilates). It is the only structured exercise I do and have come to really enjoy it. This coming from someone who has dreaded exercise in any form her whole life. The tide has turned and who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks (or habits). Just don't try it on Jake the retired, spoiled rescue dog.

Big Hugs to everyone!

Chris in above freezing MA B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 9.39min, 17.7mph 2.8mi = 121cal
    lateral machine- 33min, 64floors, 3854strides, lateral 1-10, resistance 3-10, 3.70mi = 250cal
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.73min, 2.9amph, 1.5mi = 56cal
    ride wk 2 hm- 48.45min, 12.4amph 10mi = 466cal
    total cal = 893cal
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr of Gilad's 45/45 split DVD. Tomorrow's plan is to do the LaLoFit DVD that I have.

2ledbetter - The magician is very very very entertaining. When we saw him, so many times he came off the stage and really interacted with the audience. I really think people are going to enjoy his performance. But I must tell you, this whole thing has been A LOT of work. Getting his contract, getting the Crowne Plaza, deciding on the menu, giving them the deposits. But I really think it'll be a great evening and people who don't come will be sad that they didn't.

katla - I have a few audiobooks on my iPod that I listen to sometimes when I'm working out. I also listen to them when we're going to FL. Otherwise, I don't listen to them

Joyce - when I had my colonoscopy, an easy way they said to determine if you can have something was if you can read a newspaper thru the food, you can eat it. Unfortunately, I had some sort of soup that I thought was a broth and didn't realize until after I finished it that you couldn't read a newspaper thru it. But I guess it didn't hurt too much. Didn't have any veges or noodles. Tell me about a temporary colonoscopy. Vince had one and he was ever so glad to get it reversed. Sylvia - DO NOT let this get too far. trust me, you DO NOT want a temporary colonoscopy.

Have that Newcomer general meeting today. I have my mug (32oz) that I take with me and put some of those "True Lemon" packets in it.

Sharon
    - has your husband always been like this (breaking things, etc)? If it is early onset Altzheimer's, will counseling help? It may help you to cope, but will it help dh? He can't help what he does

Vince used the HEPA filter last night while he slept since allergy season is starting. Don't know how effective that will be.

Sylvia
    - a friend of mine who had cancer and was taking chemo said she found that ginger helped her nausea

Janet in SC - yesterday and today I went out without a coat/sweater. It was just wonderful!

alwaysonadiet - welcome! Great goals, you CAN do it. Never heard of dietbet

Deb - welcome back!

Carol in NC - great that you reached your goal and even greater that dd reached 10,000 steps. I like her way of walking (fast/slow)! I'm not in the least competitive, but Vince is super-competitive. He can't understand how I can not be competitive.

Diana - don't comments like that just make your day?

Sylvia - I've never been so happy for someone to go to the bathroom

yanniejannie - that's just horrible about Gwen's gardener! sending hugs to you and Gwen

Vicki
    - good luck on your interview! How did your son take the shooting, was he scarred?

Carey - so sorry to hear of all the problems your encountering with you family. Good for you taking over some of the cooking so that you had control. I totally understand what you mean.

Beth - which school did you go to?

Janet - don't you just love it when clothes you put on are now too baggy?

Michele in NC
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Wow - so many posts! Cruised through them and will try to do better on a daily basis.
    - Gail, metro ATL
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Beth from WNY – probably tired because of "off track" food choices…

Janet in Myrtle Beach – yes DMIL and I went to Tim Horton’s - she had oatmeal and I had a coffee, I already had breakfast once didn’t need another.

And here is another note on colonoscopy prep…. My brother said he was told “only clear liquids” he asked if he could have vodka and sprite and they said yes…. Good grief – alcohol on an empty stomach.

Not that warm today – only Zero Celsius with -8 C windchill….. got to go out at noon for a walk and it was still better than -30…..

Best get off to bed, tired this week… maybe too many things to do at work and home.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's so interesting hearing about your lives. I like this group because there is honesty, sincere concern and support, and friendship. I can't begin to tell you all how much your progress inspires me!

Gilly in Suffolk – A "milestone" may seem like a LONG way off, but girlfriend, you've got a whole bunch of stepping stones that will take you there! You can look forward to each and every one of them and I look forward to hearing about them 

Mary in MN – Your MIL sounds like a firecracker. And she is blessed to have a DIL who is so attentive. I can just imagine her making you clean your plate 

Carol in NC – Do you and your daughter keep track of your steps with a FitBit? I'm still trying to figure out how I should do that. If keeping track of my calories can make such a difference (and it really has), I can't help but think the same would happen with steps.

Pip – You're amazing with all the exercise you give yourself! Thinking that now the snow has melted, I need to dust off the bike and go for a long ride with the boy (9). Our mailbox is 5 miles from our house (did I mention we really live in a remote area?!). Maybe we can work up to fetching the mail once in a while.

Diana in IN – So fun that people are noticing your weight loss! I don't think anyone's noticing mine yet, but I can feel those 8 pounds gone and it feels GOOD!

Katla in OR – My man has been a source of frustration (borne of concern) because I love him SO much I want him to be healthy and last a long, long time. That being said, he started eating better about 4 days ago. It's still weird, because we're eating separately and different things, but who knows, if we keep this up we'll get in health-sync? Does your DH at least eat with you (same foods and same time)?

Sharon in AB – It makes me sad to hear about your husband, for you and for him. It's horrible to walk on eggshells around someone you love. And if he is going down the Alzheimer's road, that in itself has got to be so scary. Before my Dad died in 2013, (he was almost 96 and they never did make a distinction between dementia or Alzheimer's), during his lucid moments, I could tell he knew there was something wrong. For years he'd blame us for meeting him at the wrong time or forgetting whatever… it wasn't him that had made the mistake. But near the end, he did default to 'rages' and trying to control the people around him (maybe because he felt control slipping away?). It was so sad for him and SO difficult for us. I feel for you.

Cynthia – I hope you're applying for a job that you will enjoy and give you a sense of satisfaction… life is too short to do something we have to endure. I also hope your interview goes smooth as butter! You've got a great personality and I'm sure you'll do great! 

Heather in Hampshire – Thank you for sharing a bit of your adventures with us. Romsey Abby sounds like the kind of place I'd enjoy exploring. Did you happen to take a photo you could share with us?

YannieJannie – It is so inexplicable the way people can hurt each other. In the past month, my dear neighbor's granddaughter was murdered by her boyfriend and tomorrow I will attend the funeral of the 19 year old daughter of our friends from church. She took her own life. So much pain and sadness. There is no making sense of insane things. Big hugs ))))

Today I taught some kids to Polka… most had never heard of such a thing! Boy, if I did that every day for 30 minutes I'd burn through the calories.... holy cardio workout, Batman! And finally, thought I would share a photo I took today a couple of miles from my house… the snow will probably be gone in a few days. (I take WAY too many pictures!)

48zfe0ugcfdt.jpg

Goodnight/morning… whichever applies 
    Selena
    Utah