A short rant about many of the posts I have been seeing here. May come off as harsh but must be said

Options

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I don't want to worry you people but I'm picking something up on the edge of my Troll-meter ...
  • Realtychic
    Options
    Morning Joe!! ...You really should reread what you wrote in your op. The people you're downing, just because they seek motivation, support, encouragement whatever it may be...they were you, you said you made excuse after excuse. Then you took control. Well same thing really just different people, different reasons, most asking for some sort of encouragement to knock those"doubts aka excuses"...etc what brought you here the calorie counter or recipes?
    Man, what I would give to have the metabolism I had at 19 too! Just sayin.. Btw..Awesome job on the quick weight loss ;) ....I would like to share my excuse today..Im on a high dose of Prednisone, and limited lower body movement! Woohoo Go me! Wish me success or not..lol

"You deserve to be fat?" Ouch! Seriously?? Put down your morning hatoraide hun please :))
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    joejward95 wrote: »
    Ahaha, all this anger telling me to come back in 20 years just motivates me more to stay in shape forever!

How would you feel if I told you guys you're going to be fat again in 10 years? Its a bit of a personal attack with no basis isn't it?

Realistically, for me, if I don't keep doing what I do, I will be fat in 10 years!
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Realtychic.I fully understand there are people who for different reasons have a more difficulty losing weight, but for your example that you have lowered body movement, you just don't need to eat as much if you're not moving as much then surely?
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Actually well said!!!! I like this post cause like some others I get tired of hearing the excuses.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Ahaha, all this anger telling me to come back in 20 years just motivates me more to stay in shape forever!

How would you feel if I told you guys you're going to be fat again in 10 years? Its a bit of a personal attack with no basis isn't it?

That's definitely a motivation that will fail. Nobody is saying you'll be fat in 10 years. They are saying you've done everything in easy mode so far. Reality is, everything you've done in your life is something you consider to be the hardest thing you've ever done. For a 2 year old, potty training is the hardest thing they've ever done. In 10 years, maintaining what you've done will be exponentially harder. In 20 years, even more. In 50 years, assuming you're lucky enough to avoid all of the potential illnesses of aging like arthritis and bone degeneration, it will still be harder. If you're not lucky to dodge all of the bullets of aging, you may find yourself in too much pain to even give a damn.

Basically, what you're preaching here is the equivalent of a 6 year old coming to you, after mommy makes his lunch and does his laundry for him, and telling you school is easy. That anything you have to say about the effort you put into finishing your classes or passing exams is just whining.
  • rmtuesley
    rmtuesley Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    there is actual research by Jay Giedd based around functional MRIs in adolescence that shows, amongst other fascinating information, that the frontal part of the brain that controls things like planning, empathy, decision-making actually reduces in size around puberty

...that's why teens get less empathetic, more egotistical and make bad decisions .. from what I recall this goes on to early 20s

Love this. This will help me to deal with my own young ones today. These kinds of post are beneficial :wink:
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    marken999 wrote: »
    "you're not some special snowflake" I Beg to differ sir, I AM a special snowflake. Mom always told me so.

My mom told me so too!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    As said in the title.This post IS going to come off as harsh, and rude and probably quite bigoted to some of you. But this needs to be said because otherwise a load of you are NOT going to make it, and I hate seeing people not fulfill their maximum potential, this is also NOT aimed at all(or even many)of you, but a specific group of people.

I should also say that in September I was 260 lbs and a hair below 6'1, lazy 18 year old kid, making excuses left right and center as to why I was overweight . Since then I am now down to 180lbs. Regularly compete in bouldering tournaments and am doing a marathon in June. So I was in the position that some of you are in now. Since then, I have grown the hell up and taken responsibility like an adult.

Okay, so recently I have been seeing a ton of posts about people making excuses as to why the can't lose weight .I've heard it all in only the last week!
    "But I have an under active Thyroid!"

"My Carb cycle is off"(whatever the hell that is supposed to mean)

"I'm sleeping at the wrong times!"

"I'm eating healthily and not losing"

The list goes on and on and on.... endlessly. Its getting tiresome commenting to these people to tell them what they're doing wrong.

Weight loss is 90% diet, and of that it is 100% about the calories you eat vs the calories out.If you plan on complaining on here about not losing weight, first try taking 250 calories off what you're eating, because if you're gaining or maintaining when you want to lose weight I guarantee you are eating too much. I don't care about your excuses, you are eating too much.Eat less and you will lose weight, you're not some special snowflake who can overcome the laws of physics. Its just not going to happen. If its been 2 months and you claim you've been eating a deficit and not lost any weight they you're either deluded, dont know how to use a scale or a liar. It is as simple as that.

Another thing that I have noticed is people asking for motivation. First of all let me preface, I am not talking about the posts of people asking for weight loss/exercise buddies, that is fine.It can be nice to have a bit of motivation with someone to lose with, but it is NOT required. The fact is, you're a grown adult. At the end of the day, it is down to you to do it. if you're sitting here saying you're not losing because you're not motivated then deal with it. Speak to a doctor to see if you need medical help(I suffered from depression for years but I did the adult thing and got treated). If you want to lose weight and get in better shape it is only down to you. If no one is there to motivate you, who cares? That doesn't stop the laws of physics. If this is the excuse you're using then you don't want it enough. Its as simple as that. You get ZERO credit for wanting to lose weight and improve yourself. Anyone can do that, you only get credit for achieving your goals.

Tl;dr: Stop whining and take responsibility for your weight loss. You're a grown adult, deal with it like one. Show some self control, and if you can't then you don't deserve to be in shape. Your body will react to how you treat it.Lack self control? You're going to be fat and deserve to be like that.

Bring on the anger. I don't care what it takes you to motivate yourself, but just find a way, because otherwise you're going to die(probably young) never doing any of the things your body is capable of , and then what was even the point?

If you weren't 18 years old… I'd totally have the biggest MFP crush on you. THANK GOD someone finally said what I've been dying to say for months! Amen to every word. Now people can hate on me too.
  • joejward95
    Options
    **AHEM** Ladies, I think you will find I am 19 actually! I AM A GROWN UP! (sarcasm)
  • Mikolinz
    Mikolinz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    kids nowadays, so full of knowledge
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its not what he said, it was the delivery.

and this coming from someone who routinely is told im a crass *kitten* with no heart.

much like my own teenagers, you have a lot of growing to do.

And while we all have our own challenges, yes, virginia, we are all responsible for our own health and weight.
  • marysamezz
    marysamezz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    can I just interject and say that this wasn't a short rant at all?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Ah youth! I have my own teenager to worry about here at home.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like you just fine. But my pet peeve about this board is different. I see endless replies to these sorts of posts you are talking about that it is a simple matter of CICO and all the people are missing is "willpower".

Meanwhile some of these people have been busting their butts, working harder and longer at this weight loss game, and there are weeks when the scale won't budge! It is devastating. They come here for answers. How can we explain that weight loss is not linear, that extreme effort does not always result in a commensurate extreme loss, be patient, measure honestly, and the losses will come?

I say show kindness in the reply, no matter how often it has to be repeated. This advice from a grandma who has lost significant weight too but has a little more life experience.
  • exerciseforhealth
    exerciseforhealth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You're new here aren't you?

Lol..
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    lots of people on here have no education on weight loss or fitness so some will ask for advice, some will do what they think is best. weight loss is not really a one fits all. some people come here for advice and some come to shove their ways down peoples throats. you get the narcissists who think their way is the only way and you get the frustrated people who feel like they want to educate people. to be honest i have learnt by posting looking for any kind of advice on here is not worth it because smart arses with stupid *kitten* comments will always post back. some people are good on here and give constructive advice but for the most it's drama llama trolls who like online bullying as a hobby.
  • joejward95
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ^ I hope you're not calling me a bully? Not gonna lie, that would make me sad to think that what I just posted is now classed as bullying and being a narcissist.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lots of people on here have no education on weight loss or fitness so some will ask for advice, some will do what they think is best. weight loss is not really a one fits all. some people come here for advice and some come to shove their ways down peoples throats. you get the narcissists who think their way is the only way and you get the frustrated people who feel like they want to educate people. to be honest i have learnt by posting looking for any kind of advice on here is not worth it because smart arses with stupid *kitten* comments will always post back. some people are good on here and give constructive advice but for the most it's drama llama trolls who like online bullying as a hobby.

yes it is .. it's CICO

how you acheive CICO is not a one size fits all ... you're right there .. but it is actually CICO for everybody

edit to confirm (in case it's not clear): posted for irony ;)
  • mhook760
    mhook760 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. 'fatlogic' and the ridiculous things some people tell themselves drive me crazy. And I say this as someone who believed various bull for years.

I also say this as a 5ft 4 257lb woman who used to be 280lb and is getting off her behind and sorting it out. No excuses, no fatlogic, no wavering. Only accurate logging, calorie deficit and exercise

I am not remotely offended to be told I am fat and it's ENTIRELY my fault.

Conditions that make you more likely to gain weight are very rare, and even then the weight is only gained if you fail to compensate for it with diet and exercise or at least with diet.

Until people understand that, they're going to pussyfoot around believing there's no point in trying. Like I did for years. What a waste of my twenties!

I firmly believe the truth of the matter and getting your grown up pants firmly on, and getting on with it is what's needed. Accuracy and lying to yourself also!