Beware Easter will be hear sooner than you think!

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Beware: Easter will be here sooner than you think!

FIFY!

No it's "hear" as in hear me snapping off those chocolate rabbit ears and chowing down.

The entire premise is silly. It's not as if the same chocolate isn't available 365 days a year. Just because the chocolate is shaped like rabbit you now are forced to eat it. "Cute food! ZOMG!!!"

Cadbury Creme Eggs, my friend. Not available year-round.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    This Easter will be a lost cause day for me food-wise. I'll be in CO celebrating my 65th birthday with my kids who've relocated there in the last several years. This is only the third time I remember my birthday being on Easter Sunday. Birthday cake and Easter candy. ;)
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't understand all this fear mongering....

Beware!!! Beware!!!

you know what you beware? You beware loitering men in shopping mall parking lots after dark, you beware hungry bears in the forest when you are camping with food....

you beware internet predators after your kids.

but you do not beware food.

food is good, it's our choices that make food what it is.

and I refuse to fear monger my choices. Food is necessary to life, I categorically refuse to be scared of food for the rest of my life because it's become a celebratory thing for one little day every so often.

Nah.....beware nothing. It's just food....
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    This Easter will be a lost cause day for me food-wise. I'll be in CO celebrating my 65th birthday with my kids who've relocated there in the last several years. This is only the third time I remember my birthday being on Easter Sunday. Birthday cake and Easter candy. ;)

Happy birthday!

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    People like celebrating holidays that have food traditions with food. Thus, many are tempted to eat things on holidays that they don't normally eat. For example, I rarely eat pie, but I seem to have attached a specific pie to all major holidays, and yes I plan to eat my pie this year. I could have pie any day, but I don't.

People new to a diet wonder if indulging in their preferred food traditions (especially if they involve feasting or high calorie foods) will be counter-productive or put them off track and perhaps wonder how others handle it, so ask.

Others do a variety of things from saying it's just one day, enjoy it, to celebrating in moderation to avoiding it or deciding that the food tradition part is not important, and are invited to discuss these possibilities.

Why are some acting like it's a weird or inappropriate question or requires the OP to be angsting unreasonably?

I know, OP just wanted some tips on making sure he doesn't over-indulge while surrounded by lots of candy. Seems like a perfectly understandable question to me.

So what pie goes with Easter in your mind? I associate ham, candy, and hard-boiled eggs with Easter myself LOL! But no pies. We usually have a lemon bundt cake or an angel food cake :)
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    The only bad thing about easter is when it ends and there's no more Reese's eggs :( Those are the best! Oh and well you know the holy celebration of a zombie lol
  • JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So not to encourage bad habits for people with self control issues but I love easter/valentines/halloween post sales on candy at 90% off. I treat myself with some now and again but having little pieces on hand makes it easy to portion control. Also if you got kids these make a great reward. I put mine into a big bag and good eating habits I reward with a small treat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    We usually have a big dinner for Easter with family and then have an egg hunt. The dinner is a lot of calories, but we hide the eggs all over the woods so there is quite a bit of hiking too. Not much chocolate though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Chocolate has got nothing to do with Easter. Unless you have little kids that enjoy the easter egg hunt, like mine did

Do you hide chocolate eggs? We get those plastic eggs that you can put stuff inside and put trinkets or money inside. We don't do food because we have a child in family with severe allergies, but all the kids prefer money anyway. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    People like celebrating holidays that have food traditions with food. Thus, many are tempted to eat things on holidays that they don't normally eat. For example, I rarely eat pie, but I seem to have attached a specific pie to all major holidays, and yes I plan to eat my pie this year. I could have pie any day, but I don't.

People new to a diet wonder if indulging in their preferred food traditions (especially if they involve feasting or high calorie foods) will be counter-productive or put them off track and perhaps wonder how others handle it, so ask.

Others do a variety of things from saying it's just one day, enjoy it, to celebrating in moderation to avoiding it or deciding that the food tradition part is not important, and are invited to discuss these possibilities.

Why are some acting like it's a weird or inappropriate question or requires the OP to be angsting unreasonably?

I know, OP just wanted some tips on making sure he doesn't over-indulge while surrounded by lots of candy. Seems like a perfectly understandable question to me.

So what pie goes with Easter in your mind? I associate ham, candy, and hard-boiled eggs with Easter myself LOL! But no pies. We usually have a lemon bundt cake or an angel food cake :)

Strawberry rhubarb. Easter is too early for strawberries, but it's a spring holiday and I want a spring pie.

I used to (and still sometimes do) make lavender cupcakes with a lemon glaze. The colors are Easter-y and the flavors work. Forget where I picked up the recipe. But I just have a major holiday pie thing going on!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Strawberry rhubarb. Easter is too early for strawberries, but it's a spring holiday and I want a spring pie.

I used to (and still sometimes do) make lavender cupcakes with a lemon glaze. The colors are Easter-y and the flavors work. Forget where I picked up the recipe. But I just have a major holiday pie thing going on!

Not in Florida! I've been enjoying them for almost a month now.

I can't believe all those Lent threads got deleted and here we are talking about Jesus and Lupercalia
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Heh, too true.

(I am so jealous of your strawberries.)
  • futuremommyt
    futuremommyt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'll buy myself 1 or 2 cadbury creme eggs and freeze them. I'll have one on Easter, and then one the day after if I've had a little too much Easter fun...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Easter is for kids

So you add some chocolate to your calories

I'm failing to see the issue
  • Ah darn! I don't have any plans for Easter, but my parents will be sending me a package that's sure to contain chocolate. I guess I'll just have to figure out a way to work it into my intake.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Easter 2015 for me =

5dx7wukez92m.jpg
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Easter 2015 for me =

5dx7wukez92m.jpg

For some reason these don't do much for me - if I want a peanut butter cup, I'll just have that, in the shape of a circle rather than the shape of an egg, LOL - but I love love love the Cadbury Creme (is it spelled that way for this brand?) eggs. And they feel specifically "Easter" to me. I wouldn't really want to have them at any other time of year, just as I would never really get the hankering for a peppermint stick except at Christmastime.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I don't understand all this fear mongering....

Food is necessary to life, I categorically refuse to be scared of food for the rest of my life because it's become a celebratory thing for one little day every so often[/b].

That is fine, but for too many people the celebratory thing ends up being more than one little day every so often. Christmas treats and potlucks for weeks before Christmas, happy hour every Friday, stocking up on Easter candy because it won't be sold after Easter, treats for everyone's birthday at work, etc, etc.