Is there such thing as good and bad calories?

Options

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    laurielima wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I have never been more than 15 lbs overweight and I have always eaten whatever I wanted. moderation and exercise and healthy metabolism....the whole thing bores me at this point.

Okay? :huh: That's nice? :huh:

I'm still hoping she's just responding to the wrong thread this whole time.

Not all calories carry the same value. believe it or don't believe it.

What I find amazing is you can force your opinion down opp throats and god forbid they stand their ground. a gang appears. its incredible.

Well, if we're looking a logical analogies, that ground you're standing is actually quicksand. The faster you move, the worse it gets. It's the people waiving branches that are on solid ground.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I have never been more than 15 lbs overweight and I have always eaten whatever I wanted. moderation and exercise and healthy metabolism....the whole thing bores me at this point.

What I find amazing is you can force your opinion down opp throats and god forbid they stand their ground. a gang appears. its incredible.

I've read quite a few of your posts this week. Out of curiosity have you reduced sugar? H-A-N-G-R-Y hungry and angry. I've seen it before, it happens all the time. Try a Snickers.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    wonderfullymadebyhim Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie from a pure energy measurement viewpoint. An 'empty calorie' term is often used when people eat 'food' that has no other form of bodily nutrition attached (pure sugar) and is only valuable to give energy but no value in terms of muscle repair, no heart/health protecting vitamins etc. Think a can of soda pop versus an apple (rich in vitamins, fiber and is much more than a calorie source). A calorie from either fat, protein, or carbohydrate source has different impact on hormones and body function so I and many many others, chose to take in calories from different categories in specific quantities to see how it impacts satiety. For example, many people, including myself, find that a diet with proportions of calories from protein and fat and less from carbohydrate help control insulin spikes and leptin production signaling hunger in the brain. So yes, a calorie is a calorie and no, a calorie is not a calorie. Confused? So is everyone else!!
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie from a pure energy measurement viewpoint. An 'empty calorie' term is often used when people eat 'food' that has no other form of bodily nutrition attached (pure sugar) and is only valuable to give energy but no value in terms of muscle repair, no heart/health protecting vitamins etc. Think a can of soda pop versus an apple (rich in vitamins, fiber and is much more than a calorie source). A calorie from either fat, protein, or carbohydrate source has different impact on hormones and body function so I and many many others, chose to take in calories from different categories in specific quantities to see how it impacts satiety. For example, many people, including myself, find that a diet with proportions of calories from protein and fat and less from carbohydrate help control insulin spikes and leptin production signaling hunger in the brain. So yes, a calorie is a calorie and no, a calorie is not a calorie. Confused? So is everyone else!!

You started out doing so well, however you lost it at the end a calorie is a calorie. Period your body reacts the exact same way to every calorie, what is different is the nutritional breakdown of the vehicle used to deliver that calorie to your body to use. A calorie is a calorie and has no nutritional value it is a measuremeny of energy (aka fuel) your body uses however you can not just cosume a pure calorie, it must be in something you can consume (called a vessel). The nutritional portions of that vessel are broken down and used by your body some more efficantly than others, some parts of that vessel may react to different people differently that however does not change the calorie, the calorie stats the same level of energy
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Here's another basic example a calorie burned is s calorie burned regardless of how you burn it. 25 calories burned by walking are the same as 25 calories burned by running full speed. However your bodies reaction to walking versus running won't be the exact same, however that doesn't change the fact that 25 calories is 25 calories
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

So one calorie of cookie actually equals 2 , because cookies are bad? But one calorie of carrot = 1 because good???

So 50 cals of cookie is really 100 because 2:1 a tio of bad to good????

Is that your argument??????
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    calorie is a measure of energy... saying there are good and bad calories is like saying there are good and bad miles, or good and bad inches...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

So one calorie of cookie actually equals 2 , because cookies are bad? But one calorie of carrot = 1 because good???

So 50 cals of cookie is really 100 because 2:1 a tio of bad to good????

Is that your argument??????

tumblr_mt74ooO5iH1qjauveo1_500.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    rsm193 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between good and bad calories or are calories just calories...like is it ok to eat fried food from home made in the deep fryer? Are those considered bad calories?

I did not mean to be so abrupt but asking if cals are good or bad starts a big rukus on this site. in my opinion...there are bad cals in the food world. I do eat them but I know they are bad and I adjust ALL of my eating to support the fact that I am eating bad calories.

other people want to call it healthy cals v unhealthy cals or empty cals v nutritious cals.

Its just splitting hairs. IMO

What makes specific calorie bad?

When it's more than you need.

If the calorie is more than you need, it's no better or worse because of the eating. It just is what it is either way. The act of eating the excess calorie may lead to a undesired effect. To me it's an important distinction.

Are you honestly telling me that the calories from a ...tomato and from a fried dough..are somehow similar calories in your eyes. One calorie count is packed with nutrition and one calorie count is not. wow. i can't believe you have to be told that but...ok.

You're confusing "good for you" with the definition of a calorie as a unit of measure.

Are calories good or bad? No, they are equal, as a unit of measure of energy.

Are some foods more good for you than others? Yes. Are some foods more nutritious? Yes. Are some foods more satisfying? Yes.

Why is this a difficult concept to understand?

All calories are not "equal as a unit of measure of energy"

Drink a REDBULL when you wake up in the morning and the next day at the same time drink a water. Let me know if the unit of measurement of energy is the same.

How many calories of the water and the Redbull am I to drink?

Where do I find this water with all the calories?
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    yes and no.

think of it in terms of money/value. something that costs a lot of calories but doesn't offer a lot of nutrition gives you a bad value for your calories.

so while these things won't inhibit your weight loss as long as you stay within your numbers, you may find yourself hungrier or feeling generally worse than if you had consumed the same amount of calories in foods with a good nutritional value.

you don't have to spend your calories wisely to lose weight, as long as you stay within your budget. but you will probably feel better if you do.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Are we doing analogies? Cause I like analogies.
    Let's see...

A calorie is like distance. Take 10 km. 10 km will always be 10 km.
    Now, you can go those 10 km in different ways, by foot, car, bike, train, etc. and they all have their advantages and disadvantages, but the distance doesn't care, it'll always stay the same.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Well until we solve the problem and become an autotroph I'm afraid calories will always be a necessary evil. Damn you photosynthesis why you gotta be so choosey!
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You really have to watch how you word stuff, it'll become a crazy battle ground in no time and you will get punished for asking this real quick lol. For me, I make my own foods that would be horrible to eat out, and it makes a huge difference to me. I make homemade fries and burger. I can't do mystery meat any more. Plus who knows what kind of oils they use.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference between good and bad calories or are calories just calories...like is it ok to eat fried food from home made in the deep fryer? Are those considered bad calories?

Depends on what else you're eating, your activity profile, and your goals.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If you want to do a car analogy, it would actually work if you compared a 1968 yellow volkswagen bug with a driver and one passenger to a 1968 yellow volkswagen bug with 17 clowns inside.

The volkswagen bugs are the same. The number of passengers doesn't change what kind of car it is.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If you want to do a car analogy, it would actually work if you compared a 1968 yellow volkswagen bug with a driver and one passenger to a 1968 yellow volkswagen bug with 17 clowns inside.

The volkswagen bugs are the same. The number of passengers doesn't change what kind of car it is.

I love this! Plus, what a great mental picture.

And actual picture.

JJ4d1p4.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i sense an MFP is mean thread being spawned out of this….
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

calorie is a unit of measure.

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
    Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories

when you want to lower calories, lower carbs and increase protein. Typically, most people consume too many carbs. 25g carbs = 100 calories.

Note: you want to eat 65g fat (585 calories of fat) or less on a 2000 calorie diet, however, less is not always better with fat. You do want to eat less than 20g saturated fat though.

perspective:

2000 calories
    =
    54g protein (215 calories)
    65g fat (585 calories)
    300g carb (1200 calories)

imo, if you lower carbs by 150g (600 calories) you should increase protein by 30g (336 calories), which would be 1736 calories (basically a 15% deficit).

Personally, for my needs, I eat:

146g protein (584 calories)
    87g fat (783 calories)
    85g carbs (340g carbs)
    =
    1707 (food diary doesn't add it up correctly and incorrectly lists it as 1671).

Note: I eat more fats due to my carbs being lower. There is a reasoning behind it that I dont feel like explaining.