Is there such thing as good and bad calories?

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    laurielima wrote: »
    ok lets do gal. is a gal of gas and a gal of water the same thing. they are both a gallon so would you advize us to put them both in our car?

That is literally the worst analogy I have ever heard and am quite sad that you thought it was relevant.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I have never been more than 15 lbs overweight and I have always eaten whatever I wanted. moderation and exercise and healthy metabolism....the whole thing bores me at this point.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    calories aren't inherently good or bad...they are just calories...they are just energy. However, you food choices have varying degrees of nutrition...some foods have more nutrients and some have less...but even when less nutritional options are chosen, it is important to look at your overall diet in context rather than the individual meal or food item in question. Also, don't confuse caloric density with nutritional density...there are most definitely some high calorie choices out there that may not pack much of a nutritional punch...but there are also a lot of high calorie choices out there that do...an avocado for example is a nutritional power house...and a calorie bomb.

As an example of context, I'm pretty sure I"m going to snag some of my kids gummy bears tonight for desert...not the most nutritious decision...there's more nutrients in the dark chocolate I usually have...but I really like gummy anything and it's Friday...but I'm not too concerned about it because I've had a kick *kitten* week in general nutritionally speaking and today as a whole has been no different...having a handful of gummy bears later tonight isn't going to undo all of that.

Just don't tell my kids...

Gummy bears are evil...... definitely bad calories!
    50288_222691276843_4315715_n.jpg

Especially the Haribo sugar free ones!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    rsm193 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between good and bad calories or are calories just calories...like is it ok to eat fried food from home made in the deep fryer? Are those considered bad calories?

I did not mean to be so abrupt but asking if cals are good or bad starts a big rukus on this site. in my opinion...there are bad cals in the food world. I do eat them but I know they are bad and I adjust ALL of my eating to support the fact that I am eating bad calories.

other people want to call it healthy cals v unhealthy cals or empty cals v nutritious cals.

Its just splitting hairs. IMO

What makes specific calorie bad?

When it's more than you need.

If the calorie is more than you need, it's no better or worse because of the eating. It just is what it is either way. The act of eating the excess calorie may lead to a undesired effect. To me it's an important distinction.

Are you honestly telling me that the calories from a ...tomato and from a fried dough..are somehow similar calories in your eyes. One calorie count is packed with nutrition and one calorie count is not. wow. i can't believe you have to be told that but...ok.

You're confusing "good for you" with the definition of a calorie as a unit of measure.

Are calories good or bad? No, they are equal, as a unit of measure of energy.

Are some foods more good for you than others? Yes. Are some foods more nutritious? Yes. Are some foods more satisfying? Yes.

Why is this a difficult concept to understand?

All calories are not "equal as a unit of measure of energy"

Drink a REDBULL when you wake up in the morning and the next day at the same time drink a water. Let me know if the unit of measurement of energy is the same.
    What planet are you from?

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have never been more than 15 lbs overweight and I have always eaten whatever I wanted. moderation and exercise and healthy metabolism....the whole thing bores me at this point.

Probably a good idea to bow out gracefully before saying anything else completely illogical.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Okay? :huh: That's nice? :huh:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

I'm still hoping she's just responding to the wrong thread this whole time.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

catlady_zps388cdae1.gif~c200
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    ok lets do gal. is a gal of gas and a gal of water the same thing. they are both a gallon so would you advize us to put them both in our car?
    Yes. One goes in the gas tank and the other goes in the radiator. Do you even car?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options

Not all calories carry the same value. believe it or don't believe it.

What I find amazing is you can force your opinion down opp throats and god forbid they stand their ground. a gang appears. its incredible.

• PikaKnight
    Options

That would be epic because otherwise it's just so random.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

What I find amazing is you can force your opinion down opp throats and god forbid they stand their ground. a gang appears. its incredible.

tumblr_lbj668mzhy1qat7rw.gif~c200

I actually haven't given an opinion at all. lol
  • PikaKnight
    edited March 2015
    Options

No one at any point said that there were foods that were not more nutritionally dense than others.

Maybe step away and then come back and really read/comprehend what is being said.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Question - do you actually know what a calorie is?
    Give a nice simple definition of a calorie please.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Seriously, though. You have to understand what others are saying. You are talking nutrition value. They are talking energy units. One is equal, the other is not.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

100 calories of an apple = 100 calories of ice cream

They have different macro spreads which people may pick based on dietary needs.

I don't see how this is a hard concept.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Take 3 inches of yarn and three inches of steel.

Are the inches different?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

#dumb