Is there such thing as good and bad calories?

Options

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    laurielima wrote: »
    deksgrl wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    rsm193 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between good and bad calories or are calories just calories...like is it ok to eat fried food from home made in the deep fryer? Are those considered bad calories?

I did not mean to be so abrupt but asking if cals are good or bad starts a big rukus on this site. in my opinion...there are bad cals in the food world. I do eat them but I know they are bad and I adjust ALL of my eating to support the fact that I am eating bad calories.

other people want to call it healthy cals v unhealthy cals or empty cals v nutritious cals.

Its just splitting hairs. IMO

What makes specific calorie bad?

When it's more than you need.

If the calorie is more than you need, it's no better or worse because of the eating. It just is what it is either way. The act of eating the excess calorie may lead to a undesired effect. To me it's an important distinction.

Are you honestly telling me that the calories from a ...tomato and from a fried dough..are somehow similar calories in your eyes. One calorie count is packed with nutrition and one calorie count is not. wow. i can't believe you have to be told that but...ok.

You're confusing "good for you" with the definition of a calorie as a unit of measure.

Are calories good or bad? No, they are equal, as a unit of measure of energy.

Are some foods more good for you than others? Yes. Are some foods more nutritious? Yes. Are some foods more satisfying? Yes.

Why is this a difficult concept to understand?

All calories are not "equal as a unit of measure of energy"

Drink a REDBULL when you wake up in the morning and the next day at the same time drink a water. Let me know if the unit of measurement of energy is the same.

What are you even trying to say here? Redbull has calories, water doesn't.

A calorie is a measurement, like an inch, or a milliliter.

So if I eat 200 calories of broccoli or 200 calories of cookies, I will have eaten 200 calories. Period. The NUTRITION (carbs, fat, protein, vitamins) of the two may vary significantly, but they both have the same amount of calories.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference between good and bad calories or are calories just calories...like is it ok to eat fried food from home made in the deep fryer? Are those considered bad calories?

I did not mean to be so abrupt but asking if cals are good or bad starts a big rukus on this site. in my opinion...there are bad cals in the food world. I do eat them but I know they are bad and I adjust ALL of my eating to support the fact that I am eating bad calories.

other people want to call it healthy cals v unhealthy cals or empty cals v nutritious cals.

If the calorie is more than you need, it's no better or worse because of the eating. It just is what it is either way. The act of eating the excess calorie may lead to a undesired effect. To me it's an important distinction.

Are you honestly telling me that the calories from a ...tomato and from a fried dough..are somehow similar calories in your eyes. One calorie count is packed with nutrition and one calorie count is not. wow. i can't believe you have to be told that but...ok.

You're confusing "good for you" with the definition of a calorie as a unit of measure.

Are some foods more good for you than others? Yes. Are some foods more nutritious? Yes. Are some foods more satisfying? Yes.

Drink a REDBULL when you wake up in the morning and the next day at the same time drink a water. Let me know if the unit of measurement of energy is the same.

You need to go back to science class

Water has no calories

red bull (depending on the MFP entry as I don't drink these has 45-110 calories per cup. However even if you get the zero calorie (if there is one version), the "energy" you feel is because of the stimulants in it, not because of the calories.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ok lets do gal. is a gal of gas and a gal of water the same thing. they are both a gallon so would you advize us to put them both in our car?

:indifferent:

It's like you purposefully chose an example that only leads to one answer. Do I or anyone with any common sense have to explain why that analogy doesn't work?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Water has no calories, so what is your point?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ok lets do gal. is a gal of gas and a gal of water the same thing. they are both a gallon so would you advize us to put them both in our car?

yes, they are the same measurement.

However, they do not have the same usage..

this is just idiotic...
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

You don't know science, do you?

Here's one for you...

A gallon of gas and a gallon of water are the same thing according to you, so you would advise us to drink both?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

It's like you purposefully chose an example that only leads to one answer. Do I or anyone with any common sense have to explain why that analogy doesn't work?

well then 12 inches of steel is different then 12 inches of asphalt ...because different uses????????????? wow, my brain hurts...
  • 3bambi3
    Options

This example is ridiculous.

But, if a car was able to run on water the way it runs on gas, then yes, put the gas in the tank.

Our bodies run on food. Our bodies do not care in which form that food comes.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

Huh??
    They are both one gallon...end of story. Why bring the car into it? What does that have to do with the question?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

But, if a car was able to run on water the way it runs on gas, then yes, put the gas in the tank.

so your saying I should not drink this gallon of gas for dinner tonight????
  • deksgrl
    Options

They are both a gallon, a unit of measure. But of course they have different purposes.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »

well then 12 inches of steel is different then 12 inches of asphalt ...because different uses????????????? wow, my brain hurts...

Right! It's just illogical to use an analogy in comparison to something that it can't actually be compared to in this case.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

You could drink Everclear- I mean....that's pretty close to gas, but may lead to the same results as drinking gas.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Yes, but in different locations within the car.
  • 3bambi3
    Options

Only if you chase it with some redbull and do a peeps cleanse afterward.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    calories aren't inherently good or bad...they are just calories...they are just energy. However, you food choices have varying degrees of nutrition...some foods have more nutrients and some have less...but even when less nutritional options are chosen, it is important to look at your overall diet in context rather than the individual meal or food item in question. Also, don't confuse caloric density with nutritional density...there are most definitely some high calorie choices out there that may not pack much of a nutritional punch...but there are also a lot of high calorie choices out there that do...an avocado for example is a nutritional power house...and a calorie bomb.

As an example of context, I'm pretty sure I"m going to snag some of my kids gummy bears tonight for desert...not the most nutritious decision...there's more nutrients in the dark chocolate I usually have...but I really like gummy anything and it's Friday...but I'm not too concerned about it because I've had a kick *kitten* week in general nutritionally speaking and today as a whole has been no different...having a handful of gummy bears later tonight isn't going to undo all of that.

Just don't tell my kids...
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Huh ?

Where is your logic ? Water has ZERO calories and Redbull has I don't know how many, but definitely more than water.
    How are you using something that has no energy ( because it has no calories ) as a measure of energy ?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Metruis wrote: »
    There is no scientific proof to back up "3500 calories = 1 pound of weight".

None. There was this guy who contained a bunch of health organizations and asked where it came from and none of them knew.

It's arbitrary, and there are many studies that have demonstrated that people who are put on say, a diet of 2000 calories, but with different macros, even though they should THEORETICALLY all lose the same amount of weight... don't. There are people who have gorged themselves senseless for a month on fat and protein and gained nothing, even though by the calorie count, they should have put on 20 pounds.

There are not bad calories. A calorie is a measurement. There are bad foods. You will probably lose weight if you ate at a deficit but only ate chocolate. Weight loss is not a linear and mathematical thing. It's influenced by exercise, insulin resistance, macro nutrients, so on and so forth... putting healthier foods in will see more energy, more energy will make you more active, more activity will make you burn more... putting in sugary foods might make you miserable and fatigued and thus do less...

Calories are a measurement. Like a cup. A cup of sugar and a cup of chopped carrots have different nutrients, it doesn't mean that it's bad. A cup of sugar might be exactly what you need in your cake. 100 calories of chocolate is different than 100 calories of carrots. Neither is bad. They're just different, because of their nutritional profile. Sure, if you eat 1000 calories of chocolate in a day you will lose weight, probably, as demonstrated by "monodiets" but you'll feel like crap. So... hence weight loss not just being a numbers game. I'm in camp 'macros', though, and 'eat based on what your body tells you (not your mind)'. Intuitive eating works well for me. So... take my judgement with a grain of salt.

What?!?
  • ginny92802
    ginny92802 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    @laurielima - A calorie is a unit measurement of energy. A gallon is not. Gas is energy is measured in megajoules. People are just comparing it to inches or any other measurement to demonstrate for you. They are not interchangeable units.

1 Can of redbull has X amount of calories. (I guess 110 based on what people have posted, I am not sure)
    1 cup of water has zero calories
    1 gallon of gas has X amount of megajoules (I don't know this number but I'm sure it's available)
    1 gallon of water has zero megajoules

• deksgrl
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    calories aren't inherently good or bad...they are just calories...they are just energy. However, you food choices have varying degrees of nutrition...some foods have more nutrients and some have less...but even when less nutritional options are chosen, it is important to look at your overall diet in context rather than the individual meal or food item in question. Also, don't confuse caloric density with nutritional density...there are most definitely some high calorie choices out there that may not pack much of a nutritional punch...but there are also a lot of high calorie choices out there that do...an avocado for example is a nutritional power house...and a calorie bomb.

As an example of context, I'm pretty sure I"m going to snag some of my kids gummy bears tonight for desert...not the most nutritious decision...there's more nutrients in the dark chocolate I usually have...but I really like gummy anything and it's Friday...but I'm not too concerned about it because I've had a kick *kitten* week in general nutritionally speaking and today as a whole has been no different...having a handful of gummy bears later tonight isn't going to undo all of that.

Just don't tell my kids...

Gummy bears are evil...... definitely bad calories!
    50288_222691276843_4315715_n.jpg