But I don't have TIME to exercise!

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Why is the last post I view have bars over it???
  • vbenoit81
    vbenoit81 Posts: 22
    Well diet matters more than exercise for weight loss. However, some people do have issues working out based on time, sometimes you can't make exercise a priority. I unfortunately have to work over 10 hours a day and then I am a mother of 3. So, when you work over 10 hours a day and have to take care of children, then it is not always easy to workout. However, why I cook I do some push ups or something else while waiting for something to finish and that helps. However, my diet does help me a lot and is the reason I continue to lose weight when I can get a consistent workout in.
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    This thread is excellent haha.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Yes u don't need to exercise to lose weight and then again you see posts from people who didn't do any strength training and then the term skinny fat is used.
    I am not offended by ops post, if u don't want to exercise don't. If u truly don't have the time you don't. I work from home and used to use the ex cuse of having no time and truly believed it
  • Therealobi1
    Why is the last post I view have bars over it???

In jail for being naughty
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member

[/quote]Wow. Come to Az. Occupational therapy for small children is free and so is healthcare for parents who make below poverty level. Huzzah Obamacare.[/quote]

Unfortunately many Autism treatments aren't covered by health care to begin with because it's not considered a medical condition, insurance calls it a developmental issue. I have a 14 year old with it and have had full health care the whole time and it's been a long, expensive road.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Ok I have a serious question - do people really work out while watching tv? Not like, they just have the tv on to keep themselves from jumping off the treadmill. But I can't imagine doing squats while I'm watching my favourite show (if I had one, I don't right now, but say I did). That to me would be relax time.

I do sometimes. I pull my bike out and watch a few episodes of something while going at a nice clip. Usually it's because I've over done it on dinner and need to get back under lol. I don't do it every time though. I do a lot of just relaxing. Trust. ;)

I have watched so much more TV since I got a treadmill. I'm on there running off the cakes I'm seeing baked onscreen!

But if it's something like Always Sunny, I want to catch all the jokes so I plod along.
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Its pathetic seeing people make excuses.Don't have time to exercise? FIND *kitten* TIME. I get up at 5:30 every morning to go to the gym, people who don't and then claim they don't have time are finding excuses.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    If you've found time to log in and read/contribute to forums then you've definitely got time for a bit of exercise! From my point of view exercise has meant I haven't had to cut my portion sizes as drastically as I would have otherwise. It's also greatly improved my posture, stamina, mood and commitment to losing. Even dancing around whilst you're washing dishes can help!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Even dancing around whilst you're washing dishes can help!

I would like to point out that this is a safety hazard. Can people really be that good at multitasking?
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    I don't exercise while watching TV, in fact I do little exercise at home. I do however use the gym & take a walk during one of my breaks at work. This just increases my overall burn for the day but it's not a 'I must exercise to lose weight' thing.

I do think there are lazy people out there yes. Those who want to lose weight but change nothing about their lifestyle - no exercise, no change in diet etc. Not everyone who doesn't exercise is the same.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    You have to appreciate that as human beings, it was never intended in our design to run marathons, spend hours in the gym, play sports, etc. So as long as you're eating what you need to eat and not more, and moving about regularly no matter how 'non-intense' that movement is (i.e. simple walking as much as possible), then you're doing what you're supposed to be doing. Additional exercise is just that, additional - not an absolute must to be healthy.

TL:DR - walk about and eat in moderation.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    I'm one of those people who do not do any exercise besides walking around 4-5 hours a week. I'm honest about it though I do not feel like going to a gym. I live in a place where I don't speak the language and it gives me a lot of social anxiety and I avoid going to public places as much as possible. But sure I could suck it up and go anyway. But I don't. I plan on going once I go back to my country in 5 months, but that besides the point.

I'm also not the biggest fans of excuses, but if there is one thing I'm even less a fan of is this born again mentality: "Hey look I work 2000 hours a week and took care of my fitness so can you". Not everything is about you people. Let us lose weight our way.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited March 2015
    You have to appreciate that as human beings, it was never intended in our design to run marathons, spend hours in the gym, play sports, etc. So as long as you're eating what you need to eat and not more, and moving about regularly no matter how 'non-intense' that movement is (i.e. simple walking as much as possible), then you're doing what you're supposed to be doing. Additional exercise is just that, additional - not an absolute must to be healthy.

TL:DR - walk about and eat in moderation.

I don't know about the gym or marathons, but, all signs point to us having evolved under conditions that involved more activity than sitting at a computer (which is what a lot of people have to do for money these days). That said, any activity is good, agree absolutely, and walking is great. And if it's just the diet that people can manage with the time they have, weight loss in itself does a lot to improve health.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Man the judgment in this thread. I miss exercise and hope to get back to it. I have chronic migraines that were under control and suddenly stopped being so. Exercise aggravates them and I'm not going to roll the dice and push things until my neurologist sorts that whole issue out. I keep my weekly trainer appointment for now, but that's pretty much it. I've paid dearly for it sometimes, too.

Everyone has their own path to walk. This whole thing... diet, fitness? It's like pieces to a puzzle. For some people, maybe it's easier to focus on one piece at a time instead of looking at everything all at once.

Exercise has many benefits, but it's not necessary for weight loss.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    i think a more suitable way to encourage people would be to tell them to find time to move more not to blast them and maiking them feel lazy and procrastinating.

People get busy and tired, sometimes the last thing we WANT to do is excersize at the end of a long full day, sometimes we want to take that last free hour and make that phone call, play a game, or lounge on the couch.

It truley is rude of you to make an assumption about a popultaion.

I think the point would have came across better by encouraging people to move more durring their day.....such as parking further away, taking brisk walks around the office when they can, going for walk or to the gym on the weekends, etc......??????

Not everyone wants to go gladiator style on a workout routine nor is there a need to, there is only a need to move more for general health and fitness. Not all of us are striving to be hard bodies, we are not all 20 here ya know.

I don't think that she stated anything about going "gladiator" style on one's workout routine. She is saying that people who state that they don't have time to exercise are really saying that it isn't a priority for them, which is true. It doesn't take a lot of time to do something, even if it is burpees x 10 mins or planks or jumping jacks---no equipment needed. Just like saying I don't have time to brush my teeth or get in the shower. Just saying. I think that she "hit the nail on the head."
  • Therealobi1
    ereck44 wrote: »
    i think a more suitable way to encourage people would be to tell them to find time to move more not to blast them and maiking them feel lazy and procrastinating.

People get busy and tired, sometimes the last thing we WANT to do is excersize at the end of a long full day, sometimes we want to take that last free hour and make that phone call, play a game, or lounge on the couch.

It truley is rude of you to make an assumption about a popultaion.

I think the point would have came across better by encouraging people to move more durring their day.....such as parking further away, taking brisk walks around the office when they can, going for walk or to the gym on the weekends, etc......??????

Not everyone wants to go gladiator style on a workout routine nor is there a need to, there is only a need to move more for general health and fitness. Not all of us are striving to be hard bodies, we are not all 20 here ya know.

I don't think that she stated anything about going "gladiator" style on one's workout routine. She is saying that people who state that they don't have time to exercise are really saying that it isn't a priority for them, which is true. It doesn't take a lot of time to do something, even if it is burpees x 10 mins or planks or jumping jacks---no equipment needed. Just like saying I don't have time to brush my teeth or get in the shower. Just saying. I think that she "hit the nail on the head."

Agreed
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - why are you telling people what to do?

I'm not even close to telling people what to do. Some people (as evidenced in this thread) don't consider exercise a priority because they simply don't like exercising, and I respect that. But the ones who say they want to exercise but don't have time to do so could have done three jumping jacks in the time it took them to say they don't have time to exercise. Just sayin . . .
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Ok I have a serious question - do people really work out while watching tv? Not like, they just have the tv on to keep themselves from jumping off the treadmill. But I can't imagine doing squats while I'm watching my favourite show (if I had one, I don't right now, but say I did). That to me would be relax time.

I will be doing a two hour LISS cardio session today while watching one of the Six Nations rugby games.
    It's too cold for me to cycle outdoors today so I get my training session done while watching something I enjoy. Win/win.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Man the judgment in this thread. I miss exercise and hope to get back to it. I have chronic migraines that were under control and suddenly stopped being so. Exercise aggravates them and I'm not going to roll the dice and push things until my neurologist sorts that whole issue out. I keep my weekly trainer appointment for now, but that's pretty much it. I've paid dearly for it sometimes, too.

Everyone has their own path to walk. This whole thing... diet, fitness? It's like pieces to a puzzle. For some people, maybe it's easier to focus on one piece at a time instead of looking at everything all at once.

Exercise has many benefits, but it's not necessary for weight loss.

Obviously, she is not talking to you, since you would never say that you don't have "time". You can't until you have been cleared by your doctor.