Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Replies

• Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    I've been a stay at home mom for a couple of years, and I'm casually looking for some part-time office work. The income would basically be to pay off a student loan, so it isn't urgent. The confession part is that I'm dragging my feet because I don't want to buy office clothes in my current size. I've already gone down two pant sizes, and I'd just hate to buy clothes I can only wear for a month or two. My husband would probably have an epic eye roll if I told him that.
  • stephaniels0416
    stephaniels0416 Posts: 38 Member
    Talkradio wrote: »
    I've been a stay at home mom for a couple of years, and I'm casually looking for some part-time office work. The income would basically be to pay off a student loan, so it isn't urgent. The confession part is that I'm dragging my feet because I don't want to buy office clothes in my current size. I've already gone down two pant sizes, and I'd just hate to buy clothes I can only wear for a month or two. My husband would probably have an epic eye roll if I told him that.

Not every office job requires dress clothes. Look at jobs in an industry that's more relaxed (oil and gas, construction, distribution, receiving, etc.). I spent the last three years working for a small business as their accountant and wore jeans and t-shirts to work everyday. It's possible it's just the area I live in (Louisiana for the past eight years), but there are a lot of companies around here that are very casual. The most dressed up I've ever had to be is khaki's and polo shirts.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    My husband would probably have an epic eye roll if I told him that.

Imagine if he said he didn't feel like supporting his family for that very reason. I'm sure you'd feel the same way.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member

Not every office job requires dress clothes. Look at jobs in an industry that's more relaxed (oil and gas, construction, distribution, receiving, etc.). I spent the last three years working for a small business as their accountant and wore jeans and t-shirts to work everyday. It's possible it's just the area I live in (Louisiana for the past eight years), but there are a lot of companies around here that are very casual. The most dressed up I've ever had to be is khaki's and polo shirts.
    Agreed. 'Downtown' offices tend to be fancier and more dress-up, but smaller, further out companies are generally more casual and a pair of black and/or khaki pants and a few tops would be fine.
  • Talkradio
    My husband would probably have an epic eye roll if I told him that.

Imagine if he said he didn't feel like supporting his family for that very reason. I'm sure you'd feel the same way.

Thanks for the support! Yeah, it's just a totally different situation for us. I'm not the breadwinner. Hence an eye roll and not a sit down "you need to take responsibility for your impact on the family finances" conversation.

• Talkradio
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

Agreed. 'Downtown' offices tend to be fancier and more dress-up, but smaller, further out companies are generally more casual and a pair of black and/or khaki pants and a few tops would be fine.

I've worked in both environments here, but I'm applying for a position in a law office. The main problem is that I just have a total stay at home mom wardrobe right now. Leggings, one pair of jeans, t-shirts and tunic tops.
  • Tubbs216

I've worked in both environments here, but I'm applying for a position in a law office. The main problem is that I just have a total stay at home mom wardrobe right now. Leggings, one pair of jeans, t-shirts and tunic tops.
    Yeah, I've been there. I found a consignment store that was fabulous. Much nicer than a thrift store because they're a bit pickier about what they take.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    I'm really good at tuning people out. Even when they are talking directly to me. If I don't care about what they're telling me I'll just think about something else, while pretending I'm still interestd. Sometimes I even chant "don't care" in my head as they talk. That's for the especially don't care or don't need to know conversations.

I can literally not hear 1-2 minutes of talking if I try hard enough.

I've got you beat. I can not listen to a damn word, nod my head and even make sympathetic noises appropriately, and even, when my wife gets pissy and says "you aren't even listening" rewind the babble track in my head and repeat it back to her.

Unfortunately, she has become aware that I have this talent, so it only comes in handy at meetings at work now.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    I wish I were as skillful at tuning out noises as some of you guys in this thread. I'd like to get back into reading since I haven't done that since the Harry Potter series, but it's very rare that I can sit in a quiet room for hours at a time without anyone bothering me or watching TV/playing video games. I feel like I need to leave the house just to get some reading done, but I have no idea where I'd go. Barnes & Noble took out their couch.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member

Ah, from what I have seen, even casual law offices are pretty fancy. What about Ross or Marshall's? Those stores are sometimes cheap enough that it wouldn't be awful to repurchase later on. Another thought would be buy dresses that are cut so it doesn't matter as much if you lose 10-15 lbs.
  • Tubbs216

Ah, from what I have seen, even casual law offices are pretty fancy. What about Ross or Marshall's? Those stores are sometimes cheap enough that it wouldn't be awful to repurchase later on. Another thought would be buy dresses that are cut so it doesn't matter as much if you lose 10-15 lbs.
    Yes. And belts!

• schonton
    schonton Posts: 29 Member
    Dropped my calories to 1800 and it was very hard for the first couple of days to stay within that range.

I'm going to Mall of America today and manly using it as motivation to lose weight cause I'm pretty sure i'm going to see something that I want that won't be in my size.

I'm also probably going to go over my calories but i'll wear my heart rate monitor to see how many calories I burned while walking around.

My leggings and compression shorts are starting to get too big although the scale isn't going down and it is pissing me off. since I probably have over $300 worth of clothing that won't fit in a month or two.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    I wish I were as skillful at tuning out noises as some of you guys in this thread. I'd like to get back into reading since I haven't done that since the Harry Potter series, but it's very rare that I can sit in a quiet room for hours at a time without anyone bothering me or watching TV/playing video games. I feel like I need to leave the house just to get some reading done, but I have no idea where I'd go. Barnes & Noble took out their couch.

A library?
  • Talkradio

Reading is a discipline, like anything else. If you need to go out to read, libraries, coffee shops, Panera, wherever, can be a good option. Sometimes I put on headphones and don't listen to anything, just as a social cue to others that I don't want to be interrupted.

Or at home, you can just hide in a closet with a flashlight, sit in the bathroom, or read before bed. Those were my childhood insomniac reading habits.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member

A library?

Yes, that would be the logical choice!

If you don't have a public library near you, most colleges and universities are open to members of the public--you may not be able to check things out, but nobody will care if you read quietly.
  • At my heaviest, I used to sit on the remote unknowingly. I know what you're thinking, how do you sit on a remote and not know or see it? The answer is, I've got NO flipping clue. Seriously, I would sit down without looking down. Then I look for the remote and find out I was sitting on it. I was so dang heavy I didn't feel it! I laugh at this now but back then it was an eye opener to lose weight!
  • ahokrein1227
    ahokrein1227 Posts: 9 Member
    So I thought maybe we could all use this to get something off of our chests. Confess to anything pertaining to your weight loss journey, it may even be a helpful tip for others! :)'

Please please PLEASEEEE refrain from being mean. :)

Here goes it!

I wear a trash bag under my clothing when I exercise and also for about half of my day.
    Yeah it's not as sophisticated as a Wrap or Those belly wrap things but honestly I like it better. It covers my whole upper body besides my neck, head, and arms. Maybe one of you do the same thing :P

• ahokrein1227
    ahokrein1227 Posts: 9 Member
    Hot flashes are too bad to even consider it. Wish I could think of a smart way that would work for me. Any Ideas?
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    csimrill wrote: »
    I have no fullness barometer. I can eat an entire bag of cookies, a dozen doughnuts, etc at a sitting and still not feel full!! And I have been known to do exactly that. Entire big bags of M & Ms, this list is endless.

Me too!! I have no issues with 1/2 large pizza followed by ice cream, an entire bag of nuts, all the cookies in a bag etc etc etc. I think my full meter is broken.

• JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Edit-duplicate