Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    if you look at the side of a box of cereal there are nutrients in there

Definitely. Yet there are certain cereals that have more added sugar, especially among the ones for children:
    http://www.ewg.org/research/childrens-cereals
    Does added sugar destroy the other nutrients in the cereal?

I wonder why children have a preference for sugary things. I'm sure it's just a totally meaningless coincidence or something. It's not like they're growing (and other than recent generations, active) and have different energy needs or anything.

Also, why is it that there was TONS of sugary cereal in the 70's (anyone remember "Super Sugar Crisp" cereal?) and "a complete breakfast" was described as a bowl of cereal plus "milk, juice, and toast" and yet there wasn't an epidemic of childhood obesity in the 70's?
    There's honey in the jungle too. jusk kidding. It's more about the amount of sugar kids are consuming today than an individual brand that has sugar in it. Saying that the consumption of extrinsic sugar has decreased since 2000.

• PinkandBlack87
    Options
    Just don't over do sugar, on that note artificial sugar can lead to problems because it tricks the brain thinking that sugar is in the body so the pancreas starts pumping insulin, but there is nothing there to bring down the sugar spike, so now what sugar is in the body is now way lower leading to being hungry from sugar being too low and most likely a high carb cravings to get quick sugar to regulate blood sugar
  • PinkandBlack87
    Options
    Honey is a better option for sweetener, its natural occurring sugar, with many vitamins and minerals which outweigh the risk of the calories
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Did anyone suggest you not to eat cereals?
    Just check the label, especially if you have children. From the report that I linked above:
    "The average 6-to-11-yearold
    American boy consumes 22 teaspoons of added
    sugar every day, and the average girl of that age
    consumes 18 teaspoons (Ervin 2012). This means
    that many children are consuming double or even
    triple the recommended maximum – about seven
    teaspoons."

Does this excessive sugar intake explain -alone- the children obesity we observe nowadays? Probably not, but it is wise to remain in the safe side, and to listen to the recommendations.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Mitzimum wrote: »
    I simply don't eat REFINED sugar. All sugars are not the devil but
    a) refined sugar is literally empty calories
    b) it causes you to retain water
    c) there are healthier alternatives that actually give you nutrition (ie. whole fruit, yogurt etc)
    d) it can cause insulin resistance which can, in turn (in some people) lead to diabetes. This has to be excessive consumption though.
    I could go on all day but I won't, just thought Id share my top 4.

A. They are not empty as they are carbs and if you look at the side of a box of cereal there are nutrients in there. They do provide energy. They can aid in replenishment of glycogen. They can help promote insulin releases that are pretty important in muscle growth.

B. None refined carbs do that too.

C. Refer to A. Many of us also include those "healthier alternatives" in our diets because we like them.

D. If you go look, refined sugar is not on the list of diabetes culprits. Over consumption of food leading to obesity is. That's where your excessive consumption line comes in. Excessive consumption of food.
    I simply don't eat REFINED sugar. All sugars are not the devil but
    a) refined sugar is literally empty calories
    b) it causes you to retain water
    c) there are healthier alternatives that actually give you nutrition (ie. whole fruit, yogurt etc)
    d) it can cause insulin resistance which can, in turn (in some people) lead to diabetes. This has to be excessive consumption though.
    I could go on all day but I won't, just thought Id share my top 4.

A. They are not empty as they are carbs and if you look at the side of a box of cereal there are nutrients in there. They do provide energy. They can aid in replenishment of glycogen. They can help promote insulin releases that are pretty important in muscle growth.

B. None refined carbs do that too.

C. Refer to A. Many of us also include those "healthier alternatives" in our diets because we like them.

D. If you go look, refined sugar is not on the list of diabetes culprits. Over consumption of food leading to obesity is. That's where your excessive consumption line comes in. Excessive consumption of food.
    a) They are empty carbs, there is no nutrient in sugar, cereal is usually fortified with synthetic vitamins and minerals as well as including grains which contain nutrients. The nutrient is not from the sugar.
    b) Carbs high in fibre actually assist with the reduction of water retention
    c) refer to a
    d) Exactly what list are you looking at there? I didn't say it caused diabetes.

• Gianfranco_R
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    This is nonsense. The nutrients in sugar, if we are talking about table sugar (sucrose), are glucose and fructose.
    ...but there are no vitamins at all, and very few minerals:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5592/2
    And this is exactly what is usually called "empty calories"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_calorie
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/calories/empty-calories.html
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Did anyone suggest you not to eat cereals?
    Just check the label, especially if you have children. From the report that I linked above:
    "The average 6-to-11-yearold
    American boy consumes 22 teaspoons of added
    sugar every day, and the average girl of that age
    consumes 18 teaspoons (Ervin 2012). This means
    that many children are consuming double or even
    triple the recommended maximum – about seven
    teaspoons."

Does this excessive sugar intake explain -alone- the children obesity we observe nowadays? Probably not, but it is wise to remain in the safe side, and to listen to the recommendations.

I think a lot of children these days are less active than children in the past. Plus there's a much bigger choice of quick snacks and drinks. I'm a teacher and I've seen kids coming into school drinking those disgusting energy drinks and eating crisps, chocolate etc.

I'm on maternity leave now so I can walk my son to school every day, and I see parents driving (who live near enough to walk) and dropping their kids as close as possible to the school gates. There's a mum whose youngest is 3 and he's still in a stroller. My middle one is the same age and she's been walking everywhere since she turned 2. So I think childhood obesity is a lot to do with laziness. Kids are naturally active, but if their parents can't be bothered to take them out, then how do they burn off all their energy?

I have 3 kids...age 5, 3 and 10 months...and the only cereal they have is weetabix. My eldest is at school and he needs to have a decent, filling breakfast, and I don't think something like cocoa pops would fill him up properly. Also, things with too much sugar in seem to make him a bit crazy! He goes a bit wild at birthday parties. As soon as he's eaten some processed party food it's like a switch has been flipped. We do eat things with sugar in, of course, I think cutting it out entirely is excessive and unnecessary, but everything in moderation.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This is nonsense. The nutrients in sugar, if we are talking about table sugar (sucrose), are glucose and fructose.
    ...but there are no vitamins at all, and very few minerals:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5592/2
    And this is exactly what is usually called "empty calories"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_calorie
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/calories/empty-calories.html
    ^^ thank you
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options
    Which do you think will kill you first - lack of glucose or lack of vitamin A?

I am more likely to finish under a tram :smile:

• Gianfranco_R
    Options
    Kids are naturally active, but if their parents can't be bothered to take them out, then how do they burn off all their energy?

Yeah, and probably those parents that can't be bothered to take them out are the same who give them energy drinks, crisps, chocolate etc.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options
    ^^ thank you

you're welcome :smiley:

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am bookmarking this for future reference when someone says that "sugar is evil" threads do not exist...

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Clearly not a sock puppet.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The relatively small amount of "sugar" from fruits and veggies is likely fine, but the modern diet contains man-made foods containing far more sugar than the ones packaged in plants.

Sugar in relatively elevated doses may not be that good for you - independent of body weight, as this article states. Sugar isn't just "energy"

http://www.drperlmutter.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Am_J_Clin_Nutr-2014-Te_Morenga-ajcn.113.081521.pdf

sugar is sugar ..

eat in a deficit and hit your macros/micros and you will be fine.