March 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    briebee7 wrote: »
    I have a question for those of you that run in the dark - do you carry any kind of defense mechanism with you? I do a large part of my runs by myself in the morning darkness along a bike trail by the water. Even though I live in a very safe area I am starting to think maybe I should be running with pepper spray or something along those lines just to be on the safe side.

This has a comfortable handstrap:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mace-Jogger-Pepper-Spray/dp/B00OYFOW42

Or, take out some kneecaps:
    http://www.defensedevices.com/steelbaton26.html

I am not sure what the 2nd one is but it is apparently deemed "not appropriate for work" by our IT dept! The website is blocked. lol :P I may pick up the pretty pink mace though!

@skippygirlsmom - Getting a RoadID is a great idea. I think my mom runs with one as well. I try to remember to tell my husband my route. The bike path is lit and rarely am I by myself on it. I just worry sometimes that I am being too naive. My husband did ban me from running around my work for similar reasons as you decsribe your work. Sad to say that darkness on the bike trail is the safer than daylight by my work!
  • kellyframe31
    kellyframe31 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    3 miles in so far. I think 25 for march was a far stretch...I'm not giving up...
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

I like the hand strap on the spray. I haven't seen that in the stores. I would probably go to wipe the sweat off my face and spray myself. LOL

I like the steel baton too, take out some knee caps with that one for sure! My step son says I should carry a pistol. I tried to explain to him that I'm too lazy to carry a water bottle let along have a pistol tucked in my back. A guy that walks around the hood in the morning carries a pistol with buckshot in it. I'm so glad we tend to come towards each other in the morning, I always wonder if he didn't hear me coming would he shoot if I scared him. He only carries it in case a dog comes at him.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @briebee7‌ I wear a road ID also. I let everyone know when im out, but i think it'd be ages before anyone became concerned of my whearabouts. I've started running some secluded trails and don't carry anything. I probably should. My dogs are fat, I could load one of them up with me.

My Garmin pairs with my phone and has "Live track", which I've used a few times. Seems to be bothersome since my husband will text me every time I stop to strech or if there's a lag. I'll reserve using it for a long bike ride.

I came across an app (was featured in RW) that automatically alerts designated contacts in certain situations. I can't remember which it was though, and your forced to carry your phone with you.

I think I'll look into the pepper spray. I worry more about crazy animals than people.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    1 - 12mi, easy
    2 - 8.2mi, easy
    3 - 8.2mi, tempo
    4 - 10mi, easy w/FF
    5 - 8mi, intervals
    6 - 8mi, easy+3.2mi, tempo
    7 - 18mi, easy
    8 - Rest
    9 - 7.2mi, easy
    10 - 6.3mi, easy
    11 - 6.5mi, easy
    12 - Rest
    13 - 5.2mi, easy w/strides
    14 - 3.14mi, easy
    15 - 13.1, race
    16 - 3mi, recovery
    17 - Rest

3 easy, easy miles just to get my legs moving. Tomorrow is my rest day. My weekly build up to peak, starting this week, is 50, 60, and 70. After that, I start my marathon taper. Glad I have a coach so I don't have to think about this stuff. Everybody, keep knocking it out! :)

Total: 129mi

Mar goal: 250mi

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @briebee7 - I carry pepper spray and I also have a personal alarm (it just blares if you pull the pin). I have the personal alarm mainly for bears because my neighbor said they run away if he unlocks or locks his car - so I figured that would make them run too. I think the bears are sleeping at 4:30 am- they seem to be around more at dusk-early dark and then they go to bed.

I use Endomondo and it has the live tracking like @elise4270 mentioned the Garmin has. My husband doesn't use that app so he couldn't actually find me! But my daughter uses it so he could call her. I keep meaning to set him up on it -- I'm the techie in the house.

@skippygirlsmom - so cute that Skip went looking for you! Quite a mom, like you have said before.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    32 miles last week. 62.5 for the month so far. 67.5 to go.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Well ... that didn't go as planned. Hmpf.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Date Miles today. Miles for March

3/16 10.15 miles - 119.55

@stoshew71 - Stan too funny that you put .15 miles on your miles this morning. While I was running today I was thinking about how your numbers are always exact and I was thinking I wonder if he just chops off the back number. Then I was thinking if you run 8.7 do you say 9 or 8. Thanks for keeping me entertained this morning while I was running LOL

Nope! LOL I put down what my garmin says, unless it say's .01, then I do chop it off. LOL

When I get close to a round number, I usually stop the watch and if need to walk the rest of the way, or in cases where I am just under I will keep running around in little circles until I reach a nice round number. Call it OCD! LOL

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow, that IS OCD!

Mine is what it is when I get done. Chemist by trade- so I love the all values I can get. Zeros would be so boring, LOL!

@stoshew71 - Stan too funny that you put .15 miles on your miles this morning. While I was running today I was thinking about how your numbers are always exact and I was thinking I wonder if he just chops off the back number. Then I was thinking if you run 8.7 do you say 9 or 8. Thanks for keeping me entertained this morning while I was running LOL

Nope! LOL I put down what my garmin says, unless it say's .01, then I do chop it off. LOL

When I get close to a round number, I usually stop the watch and if need to walk the rest of the way, or in cases where I am just under I will keep running around in little circles until I reach a nice round number. Call it OCD! LOL

• Stoshew71
    Options
    briebee7 wrote: »

I have a question for those of you that run in the dark - do you carry any kind of defense mechanism with you? I do a large part of my runs by myself in the morning darkness along a bike trail by the water. Even though I live in a very safe area I am starting to think maybe I should be running with pepper spray or something along those lines just to be on the safe side.

I guess I have a different fear than you do. I am more about vehicles attacking me than psychiotic humans. I wear a head lamp and a blinky red thing on the back of my head.

Just this morning I had a gal coming out of her complex and blocked completly the marked pededstrian cross walk. There was another car butt up right behind her. She was waiting to pull out and looking onto the oncoming traffic towards her left and never bothered to check me on her right. As I approached and still saw cars oncoming traffic I figured it was safe to maybe go in front of her since there was no room to go around behind her. (I want to give names to both these people, first to the girl for blocking the cross walk and not checking her right side, and to the nice man behind her that never bothered to back up a little and give me space so i can go around behind her. But I will refrain.) Anyway, the girl started letting off her brake (even with 2 more oncoming cars) just as i approached her which got me hesitant. I thought about it some more then had to go to a complete stop as I approached her front corner of her car. Never once check her right side for me and would have hit me if I did decide to go out in front of her.

Just a warning to all to be careful out there. Drivers don't give a crap about us.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Wow, that IS OCD!

Mine is what it is when I get done. Chemist by trade- so I love the all values I can get. Zeros would be so boring, LOL!

Call me boring then. LOL

I have another OCD. I can't run just 3 miles or 6 miles. They have to be 3.1 or 6.2 or 13.1 miles. LOL

Great thing my longest run ever in training was 22 miles or else I would have to stop at 26.2. ;-)

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

3/1 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 2.25 miles - walking
    3/2 - 1 mile - running, 1 mile - walking, and another 2 miles - walking
    3/3 - 5 miles - walking ***that single mile of running was a mistake***
    3/4 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 1.5 miles - walking
    3/5 - 2.25 miles - walking
    3/6 - 1.75 miles - walking
    3/7 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 1.75 miles - walking
    3/8 - 2.1 miles - walking, and another 4.25 miles - walking
    3/9 - 2.5 miles - 1.16 running, 1.34 walking (we'll see if I was ready, yet), and another 2 miles - walking
    3/10 - 2.7 miles - 2 running, 0.7 walking (I couldn't NOT run with new running shoes! The ankle feels... 3/10 for pain? But the run felt good. I'll have to accept it.)
    3/11 - REST
    3/12 - 3 miles - running
    3/13 - 2 miles - walking (the blister didn't allow for any of my running shoes, so no running.)
    3/14 - 2.5 miles - 1.25 walking, 1.25 running, and another 2.1 - walking
    3/15 - 4.5 miles - walking, 1 mile - running
    3/16 - 3 miles - 1.5 walking, 1.5 running
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    3/1--Rest day
    3/2--3.32 miles(treadmill)
    3/3--Strength Training
    3/4--3.34 miles(treadmill)
    3/5--Strength Training
    3/6--rest day
    3/7--rest day
    3/8--rest day
    3/9--3.27 miles
    3/10-strength training
    3/11-3.3 miles(treadmill)
    3/12-strength training
    3/13-3.28(treadmill)
    3/14-3.38(week 16 completed)
    3/15-rest
    3/16-3.12(Outside w/ the Zombies)

Nice day out so instead of the treadmill, I went off campus for my jog.

exercise.png

• mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Ran Saturday with shorts on! Felt so strange not having 50 different layers on :)
    Back to running pants and stocking hat on Sunday but at least I could leave the gloves at home.

1 March – Rest
    2 March – P90X3/push up, sit up circuit
    3 March – 3.07 miles
    4 March – Push up, sit up circuit
    5 March – Rest
    6 March – 3.07
    7 March – 3.25 – 5k(26:34 @ 8:11 Avg. pace) + plus .5 mile warm up and .5 mile cool down not logged.
    8 March – 3:13
    9 March – Rest
    10 March – 4.06
    11 March – Push up, sit up circuit
    12 March – 5.28
    13 March – Push up, sit up circuit
    14 March – 3
    15 March – 5.31 Farthest run yet!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I play around on googlemaps to figure out what makes a nice even run for me- Because this whole 8.46- 2.1- 5.22- annoying and inappropriate. But I tuck my phone into my bra- so it's not like i can just flip it out and run and keep checking.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have another OCD. I can't run just 3 miles or 6 miles. They have to be 3.1 or 6.2 or 13.1 miles. LOL

Great thing my longest run ever in training was 22 miles or else I would have to stop at 26.2. ;-)

Too funny!

Just this morning I had a gal coming out of her complex and blocked completly the marked pededstrian cross walk. There was another car butt up right behind her. She was waiting to pull out and looking onto the oncoming traffic towards her left and never bothered to check me on her right. As I approached and still saw cars oncoming traffic I figured it was safe to maybe go in front of her since there was no room to go around behind her. (I want to give names to both these people, first to the girl for blocking the cross walk and not checking her right side, and to the nice man behind her that never bothered to back up a little and give me space so i can go around behind her. But I will refrain.) Anyway, the girl started letting off her brake (even with 2 more oncoming cars) just as i approached her which got me hesitant. I thought about it some more then had to go to a complete stop as I approached her front corner of her car. Never once check her right side for me and would have hit me if I did decide to go out in front of her.

Just a warning to all to be careful out there. Drivers don't give a crap about us.

This is exactly how I was hit by a car. The driver was looking to make a right, was looking to the left and luckily I was headed down the street he was coming out of, but he never looked right, started to turn and clipped me as he cut the turn really tight.

@autumnblade75 I see your running miles are getting longer and longer, great work!

@ddmom0810 oh yeah she's a little mommy. :smile:

• jade_222
    jade_222 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    March 2nd-5.9k
    March 4th-4.24k
    March 9th-6.06k
    March 11th-6.43k
    March 12th-7.05k
    March 13th-4.78k
    March 16th- 7.14k
    Total: 41.6/80
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    [
    I guess I have a different fear than you do.
    I am more about vehicles attacking me than psychiotic humans. I wear a head lamp and a blinky red thing on the back of my head.
    I do have a blinking red light on my back, and I have knuckle lights, and an orange vest with reflective tape on it.
    The most dangerous car/truck I see is the guy delivering papers. The speed limit is 25 and he is NOT looking ahead and going at least 40. Most days he's done by the time I start running, so I only see him on the days he's running late --probably why he is going so fast. IDK how he flings out the papers of either window going that speed. I run on the opposite side of the street, but that's no deterrant for him because he's flying from side to side. The sidewalk is just not good for running for me, with the ups and downs and potential for me to hurt my self. But when I see/hear him I jump on the sidewalk. Hardly anyone actually gets a paper delivered anymore so he has big gaps where he floors it.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I play around on googlemaps to figure out what makes a nice even run for me- Because this whole 8.46- 2.1- 5.22- annoying and inappropriate. But I tuck my phone into my bra- so it's not like i can just flip it out and run and keep checking.

RunningAhead has a great map tool for just that.

https://www.runningahead.com/maps