March 2015 Running Challenge

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @SLHysell‌ - I am pretty sure I couldn't run 11 miles without my music. I have run a 5K without when they were not allowed and I do take them off to hear the birds on the trail at times.
    - I used to be the same way- now I hate running with music on- I just prefer my breathing and my pace. which works out well because now I don't feel so restricted- before it was much more of a production- if that makes sense.
    As for cars... I have a 4-way stop I have to go through with marked crosswalks and I cannot tell you how many times I have almost been hit. People who don't even slow down and go right through the intersection, people who don't look as they are turning and cars who only slightly hesitate even when the car next to them is stopped. I do not step off the curb now until I see all cars stopping and that the drivers all see me. Probably pisses some of them off that they have to wait but oh well - I am tired of being halfway across in the crosswalk and having a car zoom by me too close for comfort.
    ISH SUCKS!!!

I have this happen occasionally- I have to cross the deli by my house- which sees quiet a bit of traffic- I have banged on the hood of more than one car in my life.

• tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    briebee7 wrote: »
    I have a question for those of you that run in the dark - do you carry any kind of defense mechanism with you? I do a large part of my runs by myself in the morning darkness along a bike trail by the water. Even though I live in a very safe area I am starting to think maybe I should be running with pepper spray or something along those lines just to be on the safe side.

This has a comfortable handstrap:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mace-Jogger-Pepper-Spray/dp/B00OYFOW42

Or, take out some kneecaps:
    http://www.defensedevices.com/steelbaton26.html

I am not sure what the 2nd one is but it is apparently deemed "not appropriate for work" by our IT dept! The website is blocked. lol :P I may pick up the pretty pink mace though!

@skippygirlsmom - Getting a RoadID is a great idea. I think my mom runs with one as well. I try to remember to tell my husband my route. The bike path is lit and rarely am I by myself on it. I just worry sometimes that I am being too naive. My husband did ban me from running around my work for similar reasons as you decsribe your work. Sad to say that darkness on the bike trail is the safer than daylight by my work!
    @briebee7- I carry the Spitfire. I like the one that CodeMonkey78 suggests, though. Mine is pretty sleek so it doesn't bother me to carry it. Luckily, I haven't had to use it.
    http://www.amazon.com/SABRE-RED-Spitfire-Pepper-Spray/dp/B0077SYCPM/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1426598362&sr=1-1&keywords=spitfire

• TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Up to 52.4 km. 5k more to do later this week, as a pre-lim for my HM next Sunday.
    exercise.png
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    exercise.png

3/1 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 2.25 miles - walking
    3/2 - 1 mile - running, 1 mile - walking, and another 2 miles - walking
    3/3 - 5 miles - walking ***that single mile of running was a mistake***
    3/4 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 1.5 miles - walking
    3/5 - 2.25 miles - walking
    3/6 - 1.75 miles - walking
    3/7 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 1.75 miles - walking
    3/8 - 2.1 miles - walking, and another 4.25 miles - walking
    3/9 - 2.5 miles - 1.16 running, 1.34 walking (we'll see if I was ready, yet), and another 2 miles - walking
    3/10 - 2.7 miles - 2 running, 0.7 walking (I couldn't NOT run with new running shoes! The ankle feels... 3/10 for pain? But the run felt good. I'll have to accept it.)
    3/11 - REST
    3/12 - 3 miles - running
    3/13 - 2 miles - walking (the blister didn't allow for any of my running shoes, so no running.)
    3/14 - 2.5 miles - 1.25 walking, 1.25 running, and another 2.1 - walking
    3/15 - 4.5 miles - walking, 1 mile - running
    3/16 - 3 miles - 1.5 walking, 1.5 running, and another 2.5 miles - walking
    3/17 - 2.1 miles - walking
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    3/1 - 6.5 miles
    3/2 - 3.9 miles - miserable windy 20 mph with gusts, I hate wind even when it's 100 out LOL
    3/3 - rest day
    3/4 - 6.1 miles a beautiful 64F at 5:30 am when I ran - ran in a tank top. I love Alabama, tonight it will be 25F with a winter storm watch
    3/5 - ice day
    3/6 - ice day
    3/7 - 8.4 miles
    3/8 - lazy day
    3/9 - 3.5 miles
    3/10 - 6.5 miles
    3/11 - 4.4 miles - yes yes yes it's been a bit since I was a sub 10:30 pace...10:27 but hey it's sub 10:30 :smiley: I felt great today! Wish I'd paid better attention to the time, it got way dark and I had to head home. Didn't have my lights with me.
    3/12 - rest day
    3/13 - lazy day LOL
    3/14 - 8.4 miles - cut 4 mins off my time from when I ran this course on 3/7 :-)
    3/15 - 3.5 miles
    3/16 - 4.5 miles
    3/17 - 6.3 miles

62 out of 70 miles

exercise.png

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Unexpectedly had the morning off work ... spent it doing my favorite thing ... ran three miles to the gym and three miles home with an hour in between lifting weights. Great way to spend a morning!

exercise.png
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Date... Miles.... Total
    3/1 3.5 3.5
    3/2 6 9.5
    3/3 6 15.5
    3/4 6.5 22
    3/7 20.5 42.5 (5100 ft elevation gain)
    3/10 6 48.5
    3/11 5.75 54.25
    3/12 5 59.25
    3/13 3.5 62.75
    3/14 13 75.75
    3/15 10 85.75
    3/17 6.25 92

92 done/160 goal!

Thanks all for the safety advice. Tues mornings I actually run with people which is a welcome change. :)

@JoRocka - I have been known to hit hoods and kick tires when cars try to blow thru intersections and get to close to me (especially if I have the kids with me). Probably not the smartest idea but I just get so pissed sometimes. My husband actually threw a half eaten apple at a car once that came within inches of me and the girls and never stopped. Hit it square on the back window! Oops! Luckily I only have one intersection between my house and the bike trail. And almost no cars at 6am!
  • JoRocka

@JoRocka - I have been known to hit hoods and kick tires when cars try to blow thru intersections and get to close to me (especially if I have the kids with me). Probably not the smartest idea but I just get so pissed sometimes. My husband actually threw a half eaten apple at a car once that came within inches of me and the girls and never stopped. Hit it square on the back window! Oops! Luckily I only have one intersection between my house and the bike trail. And almost no cars at 6am!

yeah I have the same vitriolic lash out reaction to things- I'm pretty sure I'll be beaten to death or shot at an early age- because it's not gotten better with time- I have yet to mellow out. The epic amount of stupid makes me stabby- and one day I'm sure I'll do that to the wrong person. LOL- Least no one can say I don't stand up for myself! LOL
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    ... that strongly reeks like anger-management
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    edited March 2015
    tdbernrd wrote: »
    I have a question for those of you that run in the dark - do you carry any kind of defense mechanism with you? I do a large part of my runs by myself in the morning darkness along a bike trail by the water. Even though I live in a very safe area I am starting to think maybe I should be running with pepper spray or something along those lines just to be on the safe side.

This has a comfortable handstrap:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mace-Jogger-Pepper-Spray/dp/B00OYFOW42

Or, take out some kneecaps:
    http://www.defensedevices.com/steelbaton26.html

I am not sure what the 2nd one is but it is apparently deemed "not appropriate for work" by our IT dept! The website is blocked. lol :P I may pick up the pretty pink mace though!

@skippygirlsmom - Getting a RoadID is a great idea. I think my mom runs with one as well. I try to remember to tell my husband my route. The bike path is lit and rarely am I by myself on it. I just worry sometimes that I am being too naive. My husband did ban me from running around my work for similar reasons as you decsribe your work. Sad to say that darkness on the bike trail is the safer than daylight by my work!
    @briebee7- I carry the Spitfire. I like the one that CodeMonkey78 suggests, though. Mine is pretty sleek so it doesn't bother me to carry it. Luckily, I haven't had to use it.
    http://www.amazon.com/SABRE-RED-Spitfire-Pepper-Spray/dp/B0077SYCPM/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1426598362&sr=1-1&keywords=spitfire

@tdbernrd‌: FYI, they sell the jogger's mace with the velcro handstrap at Dick's Sporting Goods if you want to buy local. It's very comfortable, has a quick flip safety, and cheap. You pretty much forget it's there once you get used to it.

@briebee7‌: the collapsable baton is multi-purpose. You can take out a kneecap if you need to and shatter a window if a d-bag aims their car at you. I started carrying mine intermittently after a car purposely tried to hit me last April (that hosed my ankle for a while). Running with any of my pistols is too cumbersome -- not to mention the chaffing!

A slapjack is also a good, lightweight alternative and can be for everyday use:
    http://www.ninjacops.com/5129009.html

This all reminds me that I need to buy a "get back whip" for my bicycle. The one I have on my Harley is too long to use on the bike..
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    yeah I have the same vitriolic lash out reaction to things- I'm pretty sure I'll be beaten to death or shot at an early age- because it's not gotten better with time- I have yet to mellow out. The epic amount of stupid makes me stabby- and one day I'm sure I'll do that to the wrong person. LOL- Least no one can say I don't stand up for myself! LOL

@JoRocka‌, NEVER go down without a fight and ALWAYS keep your head held high. :wink:

Aand.. one of my personal favorites.

last_great_act_of_defiance_womens_plus_size_vnec.jpg?color=Black&height=460&width=460&padToSquare=true
  • JoRocka
    edited March 2015
    iofred wrote: »
    ... that strongly reeks like anger-management

@iofred‌
    have gone- yes I need it. I know my own short comings.

@CodeMonkey78‌ truth truth.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member

I have this happen occasionally- I have to cross the deli by my house- which sees quiet a bit of traffic- I have banged on the hood of more than one car in my life.

@jorocka I had to go look at your profile, I KNEW you were a Jersey Girl! When cars get too close I bang on the side of them and flip them off LOL I'm transplanted from the Jersey Shore to the South.

• haysavam
    haysavam Posts: 74 Member
    Up to 17.8 miles. Goal is 25 miles!!! Whoo hoo!!! I'm almost there!!!!
  • JoRocka

@jorocka I had to go look at your profile, I KNEW you were a Jersey Girl! When cars get too close I bang on the side of them and flip them off LOL I'm transplanted from the Jersey Shore to the South.

@skippygirlsmom‌ BAW HA HA HA
    I'm not a native- but sure as *kitten* fit real well in here!!!

I grew in CA- and I ran a lot there- and for some reason banging on the hood of a car when it's about to pull out in front of you is a straight natural reaction for me... but holy hell YES_ I'm pretty sure I'm officially Jersey Girl material LOL

How was that transition to the south- bet that was a little rough!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Omg, you guys are great! I need more bad a$s people in my life.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member

I grew in CA- and I ran a lot there- and for some reason banging on the hood of a car when it's about to pull out in front of you is a straight natural reaction for me... but holy hell YES_ I'm pretty sure I'm officially Jersey Girl material LOL

From southern Virginia here. Pretty sure I would pull over and cry if someone smacked my hood and flicked me off. :blush:
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    OK. Somehow never realized until now that I was supposed to comment here. I have simply been logging in the spreadsheet for the last 6-7 months. Hello, Newb! So, here is what I have this month so far.

3/1 - 6.5 miles (TM)
    3/2-3/4 had a nasty virus, no running
    3/5 - 3.1 miles (hotel TM)...still feeling icky
    3/6 - 3.1 miles (hotel TM)...feeling worse
    3/7 - 5 miles along Lake Michigan in Chicago. Windy, but fun!
    3/8 - none, flying home
    3/9 - 3.1 (indoor track)
    3/10 - 3.1 (indoor track)
    3/11 - 2.5 (indoor track)
    3/12 - 5 miles (TM Trek class)
    3/13 - 3.1 (indoor track)
    3/14 - 7.36 miles, windy and warm (for Iowa in March)
    3/15 - rest day
    3/16 - 3.1 (indoor track)
  • JoRocka
    4leighbee wrote: »

From southern Virginia here. Pretty sure I would pull over and cry if someone smacked my hood and flicked me off. :blush:

LOL- I went to school in VA- most of the people there were just old and didn't care or couldn't see- so a loud jolt was needed.

But that's an easy solution- look before you go and then no one will smack your car. LOL... :) we typically don't flick off random people for no reason- although- when I went to VA Beach a month or two ago- holy hell... some guy didn't appreciate the speed I was driving through/around the tunnels into Hampton- dark- rainy- been on the road for 6h ours- so the passenger put his hand out and tossed me the bird as they drove by- they got in the lane in front of me... and I kindly returned the favor and flipped my high beams on.

After about a mile- passenger put his hand out the window and rolled down the road for at least a min with his hand out flipping me off.

Of course I just chuckled and left my high beams on- like dude- I'm in my car- not getting wet- you look like a jack *kitten* with your arm out the window- getting wet and cold. NMP!!!!

Takes all types.
  • cooter_mom
    cooter_mom Posts: 108 Member
    01/03- rest sick
    02/03- rest still sick
    03/03- 3.6 miles TM
    04/03- 3.74 miles TM
    05/03- 3.84 miles TM
    06/03- 4.08 miles TM
    07/03- 1.4 miles OUTSIDE 3.7 TM
    08/03- rest day
    09/03- 1.5 miles TM
    10/03- 4.25 miles outside on a trail
    11/03- 2.7 miles trail
    12/03- 4.32 miles road
    13/03- 4.48 miles road
    14/03- rest Happy Men's Valentine's Day ;)
    15/03- 4.02 miles TM
    16/03- 4.47 miles road
    17/03- 4.62 miles road

I'm definitely not laughing at any of you almost getting hit by cars, but I am laughing about your reactions. I LOVE IT! I would totally do the same thing, especially if my daughter was with me! Some people are just a waste of oxygen!
    The treadmill has officially been ruined for me, it was so bloody windy the other day, I had to get on it.....IT WAS AWFUL! I blame all of you for making outside seem so awesome....and dammit, you were right. I see a future of winter running gear for this chick.

exercise.png