Options

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    eazy__ wrote: »
    If it ain't water, then no.

I felt like it was to good to be true, why can they say it is, if it's not?
    Anything with less than 5 calories in a serving can be listed as 0 calories.

If you eat 1 serving of whatever it is and no other "0 calorie" stuff, you may not need to log it. Otherwise, you're gonna be best off logging it as 5 calories each time, just to make sure you're accounting for the calories.

~Lyssa

^^^^^^^^

Remember the thread about the girl who ate a bottle of WF ranch dressing every single day? Blecccccch.

Everything has calories. Spices have calories. Coffee has calories. Certainly all the flavors and gums and additives have calories (even in fractional amounts).

What I have done--because I can't stand even light dressing--is switch to salsa. 15 calories that taste good > 0ish calories that taste bad

I need to read that thad. Do you have the link?

It took forever but http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10030513/discouraged-by-trace-calories

It's a seven-page monster and if I remember right, a lot of that is clean eaters picking a fight. But from the OP:
    So I have been trying to lose weight and I know it takes time and patience but this is what my days look like

[edit]

I drink a lot of water with zero calorie mio water enhancer maybe 10 bottles of water per day
    And I use a lot of the dressing sometimes a bottle per day if I have salad
    I recently heard about tracable calories with "zero calorie" products. Am I going to gain from the amount of zero calorie products since I didn't count them before?
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    Why would anyone eat something that doesn't taste good. I would much rather have a little bit of the real thing that tastes good than a whole bunch of something that is "0 calories" but doesn't taste that good. Food should be enjoyed.

Because they have a different palete than you, and what tastes bad to you tasted good to them. See also: people who hate dark chocolate vs people who love dark chocolate.

No, the OP said specifically that they don't care about flavor... At all. Not that she thought the stuff tasted good. Now the question stands, why would someone chose to eat in volume something that THEY think doesn't taste good?

OP here. I only said taste wasn't a factor because that's a matter of opinion. I am only concerned about my logging and intake.

Yesterday I had the Walden Farms Chipotle Ranch Dressing. It was flavorful. I couldn't believe it had no calories, to good to be true. I use 300 calories most days on dressing. If I use this dressing I can have more of other things(beer) and still make my goal.

Then I saw they have other products. I am willing to try things. Before I ordered the bbq sauce I wanted to get opinions on the zero calorie claim.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    anatmoed wrote: »

I really doubt you know better than the lab that examined their products.

I don't even *doubt*, but I KNOW you know next to nothing about nutrition labeling regulation in The US, right, and don't know enough about common sense to keep quiet about it, too.

Here's your homework.

HINT: 101.60(b)(1)(i)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone eat something that doesn't taste good. I would much rather have a little bit of the real thing that tastes good than a whole bunch of something that is "0 calories" but doesn't taste that good. Food should be enjoyed.

Because they have a different palete than you, and what tastes bad to you tasted good to them. See also: people who hate dark chocolate vs people who love dark chocolate.

No, the OP said specifically that they don't care about flavor... At all. Not that she thought the stuff tasted good. Now the question stands, why would someone chose to eat in volume something that THEY think doesn't taste good?

OP here. I only said taste wasn't a factor because that's a matter of opinion. I am only concerned about my logging and intake.

Yesterday I had the Walden Farms Chipotle Ranch Dressing. It was flavorful. I couldn't believe it had no calories, to good to be true. I use 300 calories most days on dressing. If I use this dressing I can have more of other things(beer) and still make my goal.

Then I saw they have other products. I am willing to try things. Before I ordered the bbq sauce I wanted to get opinions on the zero calorie claim.

Ever think of just using less dressing?
  • crankymagpie
    crankymagpie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah, zero calories just means "fewer than 5 calories per serving." (source) So the trick with WF stuff is to measure, always. That said, I make 5 calorie mistakes in measurement all the time, with actual foods (like the oil that doesn't stick to my roasted veggies, the "cup" of cauliflower, etc.), so unless you're going really overboard with WF stuff, it's probably just part of the measurement noise, anyway.

I like to use their peanut spread in stir fry, with soy sauce and ginger and some other ingredients, to take the place of peanut sauce. It works great for that.

Their caramel sauce is good mixed with coffee and a vanilla protein shake. (I'm on Ideal Protein; trust me, anything that makes a protein shake taste different is valuable, after a while!)

The marshmallow dip didn't do anything for me. It's a weird consistency and ... just not something I needed in my life.

Their pancake syrup mixed with dijon mustard and a little rosemary: AMAZING on chicken.

I've never had one of their dressings that I've liked, but I'm not super into dressing, anyway. The honey mustard was too sweet, but could potentially be rescued by adding some dijon mustard to the bottle. I know some people use their Thousand Island in Big Mac bowls and seem to like it.

If you're not into artificial sweeteners and fillers like cellulose gum, obviously WF stuff won't work for you. That's fine. But it helps some people.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've never had any WF things, but I would probably be willing to try them if the price was right. I don't really care about frankenfoods, even though I know I should. I'm the kind of person that if I can eat MORE of a good-enough food rather than less of an excellent food, I'll go with quantity over quality. Perhaps that is something I need to work on more than anything else...:/ :(
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    FRANKENFOOD

snort!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • Eddie__Jones
    Options

Every 30mL of ranch is 140 calories. 4 tablespoons over 300 grams of lettuce alone, plus the other salad vegetables, is still dry.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Options
    anatmoed wrote: »

I really doubt you know better than the lab that examined their products.

I don't even *doubt*, but I KNOW you know next to nothing about nutrition labeling regulation in The US, right, and don't know enough about common sense to keep quiet about it, too.

Here's your homework.

HINT: 101.60(b)(1)(i)

This was the information I was after.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Every 30mL of ranch is 140 calories. 4 tablespoons over 300 grams of lettuce alone, plus the other salad vegetables, is still dry.

Pshaw, I say. I use 3 tablespoons of Ken's Steakhouse Lite Caesar (actually 45g weighed out) for 135 calories on my salad every day. That salad contains 100g lettuce, 50g spinach, 100g celery, 50g onion, 100g carrots, 100g cucumber, 100g tomato, and either 100g chicken or 3 hard boiled eggs. If you're adding up with me, that's 700g of food using only 3/4 of what you're using. There's no way your salad is dry using 4 tablespoons of dressing.

Also, knowing what 100g of lettuce looks like from weighing it out every day for the last 2 years, I have a hard time believing you eat a salad that big. Mind taking a picture of your scale showing that much in your bowl and posting it?
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the barbecue sauce is actually not bad.
    I tried the peanut butter and Alfredo sauce...both were absolutely disgusting. Vile. Vomit inducing. I refuse to try any other Walden Farms products.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    PeanutSpread.gif

Natural fresh roasted peanut FLAVOR. Natural peanut extract. Caramel Color.

Or how about this. I'll eat peanut butter and work it into my day. Yay for fats and protein!!
  • 003yolanda
    003yolanda Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are these products really zero calorie? I'm not concerned with taste.

I actually tried Walden , absolutely no taste. It seemed like a waste of $$$ to me.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

My vinaigrette is about 35 calories for 2 tbsp. Fat free ranch is 40 calories for 2 tbsp.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Check your tastebud privilege, ma'am. Those of us unfortunate enough to be born without a sense of taste would love to get through one day without the constant reminder that the rest of you flavorcentrics are enjoying life without ever knowing the pain of tastelessness! Do you know what it's like to put something in your mouth and not know whether it's an apple or a potato? Well, do you?

Actually, that sounds great. It would be easy to eat well if I didn't taste anything anyway.

I'd also probably be a raging alcoholic though.
  • aggie2145
    aggie2145 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The syrups are good, but they are typically just splenda and water with flavor and a thickening agent added. Mrs. Butterworth's sugar free syrup tastes better and doesn't break the bank both calorie wise (20 cal per serving) and price (about $1 less at my store.)

As for salad dressings, I would prefer to spend my money on infused vinegars and fresh herbs....or dip my fork in a really good salad dressing.

Just for kicks, I weighed the romaine lettuce in my refrigerator and 400g of lettuce would be two average sized romaine hearts or just under half a Costco bag of chopped lettuce - far more than I would ever want to eat in one sitting.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Options
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    honestly I dont know. no worries and no need to feel bad they dont. they have made bets with people like who can eat the hottest chili pepper,things like that and of course they win because they dont feel the hotness either.like they said there are some perks to not being able to smell or taste
    [/quote]

Ok, I get this but wouldn't it hurt coming back out the other end?
    I mean its not like the back end has no senses....right?!?
    :neutral_face:

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I actually have a fair number of their products and although I don't really enjoy the flavors on a 'stand alone' basis, I tend to mix them with other combinations to make the of the other things I enjoy (shakes, etc).
    By themselves I don't think they taste all too much like the flavors they're trying to imitate but as a low calorie alternative I don't mind them (yes I said 'low' because as with my conversation with the guy that was selling them in the fitness store, nothing is actually calorie free bar water! He couldn't get his head around that!!).