what is a food you have cut from your diet with some success?

Options
keeping in mind that everyone's goals and habits are different, what is one food that you have deemed 'bad' for *you* and have successfully cut from your diet?

for example, i cut diet sodas and all artificial sweeteners out last april. i have had the occasional piece of gum or mint offered by someone else, and surely had some inadvertently without my knowledge/awareness, but have largely cut them.

i'm looking for some new challenges and hoping for some inspiration!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Nothing really...I have cut back on a lot of things in order to have a more nutritious and balanced diet...like I used to drink 3-5 sodas per day and now I have maybe one soda per month...if that...but I still have them very occasionally.

I also used to eat a ton of dairy which really jacked up my calorie intake...like 1/4 Lb of sharp cheddar per day, washed down with a good quart or so of milk. I consume a lot less dairy these days...I still have cheese now and then, but it's usually on something like a grilled burger or a sandwich and I really try to keep it to about an ounce...I rarely have a stand alone glass of milk anymore either...but sometimes I like having a small glass.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I absolutely refuse to eat candy. There are grazing stations everywhere I turn in the office, and I just absolutely refuse to cave.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't exactly call it food, but I don't add sugar to my coffee anymore. I feel like that hindered me for a while. I still eat what I want, but in moderation. But cutting off those tablespoons full of sugar, sure does help
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Between my fiancee and I, we used to go through a couple gallons of milk a week between drinking it with meals and having cereal for dessert (like every night). Now I don't buy cow milk unless I need it for a recipe and we prefer almond or cashew milk now because it's so good. That was a huge source of calories for us and now I'm not really too excited about cow milk anymore. And we go through like 1/2 gallon in a week.

That being said, I didn't cut anything totally out because I believe moderation is important.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I never add sugar to my coffee, drink any beverage (besides protein shakes) that contain calories, and don't allow chips (outside of tortilla) inside my house. I banned cereal for awhile too, but have gotten better with that ;).
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't drink anything that is not water or green tea. If I go out with friends or family which is almost never, then I will have a few alcoholic beverages as a treat.

I haven't really eaten pizza in a long time and I used to order it 1-2x daily.

I never add salt/sugar to anything ever.

I too consume very little dairy. I do like to use fat free mozzarella cheese though, which I know is an abomination in the MFP world.

Beware: There are going to be tons of people who say you should never deny yourself or cut something you like from your diet because you're going to definitely 'binge' .

lol
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    AmZam05 wrote: »
    Between my fiancee and I, we used to go through a couple gallons of milk a week between drinking it with meals and having cereal for dessert (like every night). Now I don't buy cow milk unless I need it for a recipe and we prefer almond or cashew milk now because it's so good. That was a huge source of calories for us and now I'm not really too excited about cow milk anymore. And we go through like 1/2 gallon in a week.

That being said, I didn't cut anything totally out because I believe moderation is important.

Your profile picture is so adorable!!!

Also, I love cashew/almond milk. It is such a great sub for whole milk.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I just recently cut sugar out of my coffee. I had traded white for raw, but even that has been cut. I limit a soda to once a month if that. I have cut out bread down to 2 slices for a sandwich once a week. I drink organic skim milk , and it usually goes bad before I can get through a carton lol. And I am in the process of replacing kettle chips ( my fave) for Kale and Veggie/Fruit chips.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I pick my carbs much more carefully now - I still eat them regularly but in more nutrient dense forms.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese.

That crap is nasty.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Beware: There are going to be tons of people who say you should never deny yourself or cut something you like from your diet because you're going to definitely 'binge' .

that's why i started this post with 'keeping in mind that everyone's goals and habits are different'. :)

i know that moderation is good and binging is a risk of being too strict, but there are some things that i eat that i know i could just totally do without (at least 95% of the time; barring the occasional treat or relapse). i've been considering HFCS, but i think i'm basically there anyway and just wanted some more ideas.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Well, everything the doctor told me to cut, due to out of control blood sugar issues. Basically juice, sodas, candy, and "normal" desserts. If I eat those things my sugar goes flying up over 200. The whole strategy of choosing foods had to be changed. It sucked for a long time but now I'm used to it. Unusual food choices > diabeetus any day.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I only cut stuff to make meeting my goals easier, not because I think they are bad.

Most of my issues with weight stemmed from drinking my calories so I cut out coffee creamer and OJ.

I also drastically reduced my soda consumption (from 6 a day to a few sips a day).

It's not a matter of cutting stuff out for me, it's a matter whatever the food is worth it or not. Like, I used to eat the crap out of Totinos pizza (yes, the $1 frozen ones) and now I'd rather spend those calories on something that tastes good. I have a million examples of those - but that's just preference I think.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    In the whole scheme of things, importance is more on cutting out the AMOUNT of food, rather than a food altogether. Now that's not to say that people can't be successful cutting out foods that trigger all out binges, but binges happen usually because the person REALLY wants to eat that particular food.
    Control comes with repetition of habit, not avoidance IMO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I haven't really cut anything (in the sense of "never having that again") but I certainly radically reduced my consumption of some things. Tortilla chips for example. Still enjoy them occasionally, but not regularly as I may have in the past.
  • wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I know some say not to cut the things you love because it can backfire and cause you to binge... True to some extent. With that being said, I had to completely cut pizza from my diet. I CAN'T just have one slice. I will legit sit down and eat an entire pizza... AND dip it in ranch! Since cutting pizza out of my diet, I have lost a pretty good amount of weight... & it's getting easier to turn down.
  • Megan1x
    Megan1x Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Carbs and sweets, my favourite things but I eat too much of them so when I cut down I really notice
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I've had to cut a lot of stuff for medical reasons. I think the "success" in that is that things that were boring or even that I didn't like at all before, I can taste much more clearly now. Onions, peppers and tomatoes are actually sweet, and I can taste the difference between different types of peppers. I'd rather have a lot of veggies plain now, because I like them on their own, instead of disguised in a ton of butter or cheese.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Things that are fried. Once I stopped eating them, they stopped sounding good to me.