55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    A wonderful reason to celebrate..your hard work and vigilance has paid off in a big way!
  • bonniepwest
    bonniepwest Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wonderful news, Jewels! So proud of you.
  • lucky192
    lucky192 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I will rethink my chores today; I'm moving- not sitting on couch, watching TV. I will think of you....overrate last weekend. Regrouped, now .02 oz to get back on track- no biggie-now.....your just the kick in the bottom I need to get off my couch! Everyone have a positive day- I can do this!
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love these posts! I'm 66, hypothyroid, insulin resistant, and limping on 2 bad knees...but since restarting MFP have lost almost 20 pounds (30 more to go) by watching (lowering) carbs and also trying to stay within a specified calorie range. This and with exercising 3-4 times a week I'm feeling so much better and thrilled to learn of others in my age range who are doing the same thing.
  • lucky192
    lucky192 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well this morning I got off couch still wasn't very motivated so I got on tractor and started mowing lawns! Felt good to have the fresh air onmy face getting kids from school when I get home will walk the grass spreader ( new seed) instead of driving. Will get my steps in. So far 13982 steps- thanks jewls!
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Jewels -- how awesome are you! You are indeed a gem.

I go back to my pulmonologist on Monday -- havent seen her since May. Fingers crossed for good news.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I'm excited, which is good thing because I do pretty well detest exercise, so staying excited keeps me going on the treadmill--that, & knowing many of you are Zumba-ing & belly dancing, so I can't totally wimp out! :D
    Gerrielips, i imagine your knees will show you some love as the weight continues to come off!
    Cathy, good luck at the pulmonologist!

• candicer
    candicer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted in a while. I'm getting into my busiest season of the year here - I am a bridal seamstress, and between weddings and prom season, I usually have no time to clean, cook, eat, sleep, do laundry or shopping, let alone workout or post! So for atleast the next 6 weeks or so, I will probably not have much time to log my food diary or post. Fortunately I've gotten into a healthy habit of eating well, and shopping for. healthy foods has become quick and easy, as I don't deviate from my list. Just hoping and praying that I don't loose ground in my weight loss journey.
  • Goldie183
    Goldie183 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread and a great sounding group of people! I have been pro rastinating all year about losing weight and creating a healthier lifestyle. I'm 68 and have been struggling with this monkey on my back for years.I want to lose 35 pounds and would welcome some friends for encouragement and support.

• fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    This thread is so encouraging. I would welcome friends who are doing Intermittent Fasting with open food diaries (who actually record their food!)
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm 50.5 yrs old and I am in pre-menopause. I have been an athletic person all my life, in between periods of non-clinical, self-perpetuated, teenager-raising induced depression. I gained a lot when my daughter was 16-20. Now she's 22 and leveled off, thankfully! So I'm committed but people keep saying, "Oh, you're old now. You'll take forever to lose the weight, but don't worry." Or "You have to work 3x as hard as if you'd done it in your 40s, but keep the faith" and stuff like that. It wounds me! But I just read almost ALL your posts and I have SO much hope and inspiration. THANK YOU ALL!
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and in a similar place with my 21 and 23 year old sons. Maybe your friends have decided to "settle" and think you should too. Don't. I have started taking better care of myself: getting better sleep, less stressed, healthier food choices, more activities that I enjoy. I am feeling better, have more energy and I'm losing weight. You will never be too old to start living better or too old for it to make a difference. We may not be 19 anymore but we can be amazing 50+ year olds that enjoy life now!
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a "like" button for so many of these posts.
    Hi all! I'm 50.5 yrs old and I am in pre-menopause. I have been an athletic person all my life, in between periods of non-clinical, self-perpetuated, teenager-raising induced depression. I gained a lot when my daughter was 16-20. Now she's 22 and leveled off, thankfully! So I'm committed but people keep saying, "Oh, you're old now. You'll take forever to lose the weight, but don't worry." Or "You have to work 3x as hard as if you'd done it in your 40s, but keep the faith" and stuff like that. It wounds me! But I just read almost ALL your posts and I have SO much hope and inspiration. THANK YOU ALL!

I wish there was a "like" button for so many of these posts. I think it was in my daughter's troubled teen years, too that I fell off the wagon of what I thought at the time were permanent changes to my diet and fitness practices, and have been struggling since.

A large part for me has been a change in my reasons for keeping up the effort. Trouble is, now there is not really much choice. I could (and still do) overindulge in food and lack sufficient activity to keep healthy, but the price has increased. I laughed with my husband that it may hurt to work out, but it also hurts when I don't work out, and my digestive system isn't the powerhouse it used to be, either, lol! So, in some ways, it's also easier in the later years, because there's less choice in the matter.

• cathy120861
    Options
    Yes indeed Skyweigh-- less choice and more inspiration. when i was younger, i focused on looking cute and health seemed so optional. now its about moving and breathing freely.

In a week it will be ten months exactly since i started focusing on my health. i have lost 39 pounds so far -- hoping to lose one more this week to make it an even forty. and while i have been far far from perfect, this is the most consistent i have ever been. I just never managed to stay focused for this long when i was younger.
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Cathy120861 - 39 lbs in 10 months takes significant work and commitment - good job !

About staying focused -- I never had the patience to knit when I was younger, but now I try to "make time for yarn every day" --- doesn't seem related, but there has been a real change in attitude during the last few years, and I'm happy about that.
  • bonniepwest
    Options
    You all are incredibly inspiring and give me hope every day. I have been focused on trying to become more healthy for the last 12 years and it has been a roller coaster. Joint issues and other health crises, and still I was able to fool myself into thinking I wouldn't have to do this forever, so the yo-yo has continued going up and down. I'm ready to cut the string on the darn thing on the way down this time so it can't go back up!

Speaking of up and down, anyone ever used a pogo stick? For someone as athletically challenged as I, jumping on a pogo stick came easily to me. It is wonderful cardio (if you can keep it going) and I enjoyed it tremendously. Mine died and I asked for a new one for Christmas a number of years ago. Only got to use it for a couple of years before my Achilles surgery and knee replacements. My family thinks I am crazy but I really want to see if I can get back on it. I'm waiting a year out from the last knee, but I'm going to try. ;)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I had no idea, @bonniepwest‌ that they even MADE pogo sticks that would carry an adult weight! I love the idea of using a pogo stick!!!

55835802.png
  • bonniepwest
    Options
    @sodakat, if you go online you can find and order them. Google Super Pogo 1505; it's rated up to 210, but some reviewers said they weigh much more than that and had no trouble. Amazon has them for sale.
  • cathy120861
    Options
    i have never tried a pogo stick but i tried kangaroo shoes once -- they were super fun and no stress at all on my leg or joints, but amazingly good aerobic exercise.

http://www.beachsiderydeinc.com/wp-content/themes/beachside/images/kangoo_image.jpg
  • cathy120861
    edited March 2015
    Options
    i have never tried a pogo stick but i tried kangaroo shoes once -- they were super fun and no stress at all on my leg or joints, but amazingly good aerobic exercise.

http://kangoo-jumps.com/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!