Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Tracy~Are you using MFP suggested macros? IMO they have carbs set way too high. Also, water---I’m a terrible example lately but half your body weight in ounces for water is recommended so try increasing that.

@Amanda~I’m sorry for the gain and that you’re back where you were at the beginning of the year. :frowning: I hope the stresses in your life ease soon and you can return to some normalcy.

@Laurie~I can probably do either Atlanta or Chicago for that run/walk—being in a hub for SWA its a quick direct flight for me. Fingers crossed my boss won't mind me taking off a couple of days since I'm taking a two-week vacation in August. I hope you can get on the bike soon so you can train for the tri—I’m sorry you're freaked out about it but you've been training really hard. You've grown leaps and bounds with your swimming over the last several months and you’re constantly improving your running time. Just think of it as a challenge for yourself—you like challenges and I think you’ll do better at it than you think. Wish I could be there to cheer you on!

@Karen~I’m so sorry your plantar fasciitis has flared up, I hope it was just the shoes and you’ll feel good enough to run on Sunday. Try doing some extra stretching and icing for the next few days, to offset any inflammation.

AFM~The good news is that I did get back my laptop yesterday—almost dropped kicked the guy at the computer store for trying to charge me extra fees but I’m happy to report he saw my reasoning and is still in one piece. :wink: Now to get everything re-loaded and updated. :confounded: Well, I feel like today should be Thursday truth since as I was measuring out dry ingredients for cookies I seemed to keep dipping into left over chocolate chips :cookie: —I probably ate 1/3 cup. Not good. I generally don’t do stuff like that—completely mindless. :rage: Oy! As for Friday fitness, I had the best intentions to get back into a routine this week and it just didn't happen, too much happening after work. :frowning:
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have my macros set at 40/30/30 but I'm not hitting them. Just staying under calories.
  • kah68
    Options
    tlh0407 wrote: »
    I have my macros set at 40/30/30 but I'm not hitting them. Just staying under calories.

Macros are comparable to what most of us are using, I think. :smile: Try not to worry about calories so much and concentrate on one of the macros (i.e. under on fat or meeting protein requirement) and see how you do over the next two weeks. Given your exercise routine I think you can get by without concentrating on calories but watching your macros closer--oh, and increasing that water! :wink: I'm working on increasing my water too (so far 48oz. today).

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    kah68 wrote: »

Macros are comparable to what most of us are using, I think. :smile: Try not to worry about calories so much and concentrate on one of the macros (i.e. under on fat or meeting protein requirement) and see how you do over the next two weeks. Given your exercise routine I think you can get by without concentrating on calories but watching your macros closer--oh, and increasing that water! :wink: I'm working on increasing my water too (so far 48oz. today).

Then the next question is ... how accurately are you logging the calories ... and you might consider lowering your intake by 100 calories to see if it makes a difference. Those BMR and TDEE numbers are general averages and, unfortunately or fortunately, we are not average.

I've been struggling also ... and in fact, have gained weight in the past 30 days ... but I know I have over eaten. Good luck.
  • kah68
    edited March 2015
    Options
    NK1112 wrote: »
    kah68 wrote: »

Then the next question is ... how accurately are you logging the calories ... and you might consider lowering your intake by 100 calories to see if it makes a difference. Those BMR and TDEE numbers are general averages and, unfortunately or fortunately, we are not average.

I've been struggling also ... and in fact, have gained weight in the past 30 days ... but I know I have over eaten. Good luck.

From past experience I don't think lowering calories is the answer--if exercising very much your body generally needs more calories for recovery (especially in the form of protein). If you're dipping very far below BMR after exercise (or if you net below 1,200 calories), the body tends to hold on to fat.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Happy International Day of Happiness: happinessday
    International Day of Happiness

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.” ~Fredrick Koeing

Tom
  • kah68
    edited March 2015
    Options

Tracy, take a look at your macros. I just looked at your diary--your calories look good over the last several days (I won't lecture you on breakfast though since not everyone likes breakfast :wink:) but the setting for carbs looks high.

• cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    ARGH! - Had a whole post ready and hit the wrong button and lost it all.

@tlh0407‌ - My penny's worth is to eat about 10% more protein than carbs. It helps me feel full longer and I do not have the blood sugar spikes and lows that often cause me cravings. I also think MFP overestimates on exercise calories.

Friday Fitness - I am feeling really good about my swimming. Did a 1/2 hour this morning and am already decreasing my lap times by about 20 seconds.

@kah68‌ - I do not know what I would do without my laptop for even a day. So glad you have it back.

Happy Happiness day to all.
    Lori <3
  • NewCaddy
    Options
    Kelley...you're right, I could have sworn I had 40/30/30 but it was 50/20/30. I just fixed that. And I'm terrible about breakfast. I get up with just enough time to walk into my office and be working at 7:00 and that's too early for me to eat and then all of a sudden it's lunchtime. :wink:

I appreciate everyone's help. I'm just getting to the point where I'm like "is it worth it if the number isn't going to go down?"
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    TGIF!!! I’m so glad this week is over. It’s been good, but just busy trying to get caught up after the long weekend away. Of course, I was NOT a happy camper last night. Yesterday was drizzling all day with temps in the 40’s. I thought for sure Cyrus’ baseball game would be cancelled. Of course not. I froze my patootie off. It was miserable. They used the excuse it’s turf so they can play. Well, the ball was wet and the kids were freezing. Real smart league leaders. NOT!!! Luckily, they pulled out the win 7-6, but I was so ready to get home. It was a LONG day. Tomorrow they have pictures and a game at Noon, but the weather is supposed to be sunny and 75 - thank goodness!!! I’ll than be spending the rest of the day cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning plus a ton of laundry getting ready for our house guest next week. Food wise it’s been OK. Not 100% on target that’s for sure, but taking baby steps. Logged some. Moved a little. Ate less. It’s a start.

@Kelley – It’s not the bottom of my heel, but actually the back of my ankle. It’s the strangest pain. When I’m over 300 lbs, the plantar facititis comes back, which I haven’t had in forever. I’m over 300 now (sigh), but it’s not the bottom at all but the back of my ankle.

@MountMary/Barb – Good job staying under yesterday. One day at a time.

@Tanya – Seriously? Mine is the FitBit Charge HR and it keeps getting pushed back and now May delivery. I ordered it directly from FitBit. They are giving me 20% for the delay so that’s a good thing. I have the FitBit One, but hate clipping it to my bra and hoping I like the wrist option better. Plus, I have nothing for my HR and really want to start monitoring that as well. I never wanted to wear the chest strap so hoping I’ll like this one. Thanks for the recap. Keep us updated on how you like it.

@Lori – Thanks. Totally agree. We will be and can be victorious. It’s just taking some of us much slower than others. Glad to read the hubby post too. I know it’s not easy, but you have to try and if you get to a crossroads again than some serious decisions have to be made. Keep fighting though. 34 years is nothing to give up. Hugs to you too regarding your son. I know some very tough conversations will be taking place. I’ve always believed God will never give us more than we can handle, but sometimes you just sit and wonder. Plus, I always remind myself how lucky I am to have a roof over my end, a good job, a car that runs (most of the time) and overall good health even with what the scale reads. There will always be someone who has it a lot worse than me that's for sure. I'm very lucky. Hang tough my friend.

@Angelika – Wow! You’ve had a LOT going on. Having awful neighbors is just brutal. I’m so glad you were able to move and into a house too. It makes a world of difference. Congrats on your son! He’s a lucky boy to have found his forever home. It takes very special people to foster and unfortunately there’s some out there not so special. Hope your DH has a speedy recovery. I know it could have been so much worse.

@Laurie, @Kelley and anyone else interested – I hate Karen cannot join us for the race, but Atlanta’s a pretty good hub for decent flights (normally). Also, I would be willing to offer up my house as a place to stay (if your comfortable with that) to help save costs. You can fly in, take the MARTA train north and I can pick you up. I’m totally open and would love to play host.

@Brown_Eyed_Frog – You’re not alone. I can’t tell you how many candy wrappers, cookie bags, donut bags, etc. . . have been hidden or eaten after hours. I’m a single parent and for me I always thought food was a reward. I work hard. I’m doing this by myself. After I put my son to bed it’s finally me time and that means eating. It’s been a vicious cycle for many years. I’m not quite over it, but slowly learning. I’ve always said eating less and moving more is important, but even more important is the mental side of this journey. Keep fighting for yourself!

@Tricia8008 – I can totally relate. I started in August 2012. I’ve lost 50 lbs. Gained back 25 and kept off 25 for a solid year. Unfortunately, it’s come back and I’m back to the starting weight. Sigh. I am learning though because of this group. They’re an amazing support system. Yes, I’m not happy I’m back at this weight, but I know what I need to do and with their continued support I WILL take it off again. You can too!!

@Morgori/Tom – The Unknown quote is so true. WOW!

@Amanda, @Tracy – I’m in the same boat. My teeth were a mess and full of cavities. I haven't had any in years, which is good. My son has done pretty good though, but also has some sealants as well. I think your exactly right. We didn’t go to the dentist as often either and thanks to our insurance my son goes on a regular basis. @Amanda - Also, I’m in the same boat with sleep. I’m staying up way too late for the time I need to get up. They say the lack of sleep can be a hinderance on weight loss. I’m going to use that as my excuse going forward. Sure, lack of sleep and not the extra food and lack of exercise is causing me to not lose weight. Oh brother. LOL!!

@Melifornia – Eeeewww!! Ground Beef from 2012 is no good – throw it out!! :smiley: I’m doing the same thing this weekend. Everything is getting cleaned out. Menu is being made for the week with recipes and shopping to follow. I keep bags of almonds, walnuts, jerky, etc. . . so it’s the portion I need. Yes, it takes work to plan, but it helps keep me on track that’s for sure. Good for you!!

@Karen – I’m glad the scale is being kind. We all know it has a mind of it’s own that’s for sure. Sorry your feeling a little under the weather. Tackle that crap immediately so it doesn’t go full blown.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @AngelikaLumiere - wonderful to see you back - and with such positive changes going on for your life - an new home and new life to fill it - I just lit up when I saw your name one of my favorite people o:)

welcome any newcomers I have missed <3

@Susan - I see the race has diverted to Atlanta ? when is that one?

Lately I don't know day from nite, breakfast from dinner, in from out, or up from down. My dinner was at 3:30 am, bedtime at 4:30, up today at 11:45 am, coffee - well turned my head right to see a bird on the railing and left hand tried to set coffee down and missed - whoopsie - and first thought was not "oh - better see where it spilled" but "darn, I need another cup fast!"

Step-mom is getting steadily better and will move to another half-way nursing home for PT in 2 weeks then on to the Masonic Manor. Step sister keeping cards close to her chest, so I am not involved in that planning, which is actually quite better for me.
    But, I am exhausted. So, I don't get around here much, and must admit, have not even done my taxes - that's on plan for this weekend.
    Love to all. Ellen
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow, the thread is moving fast!

@Melifornia.. I do the same thing from time to time to 'kickstart' myself into healthy eating again. Recipes, list, groceries, portions... I do the same with the smoothie baggies in the freezer! it makes it so fast and easy in the morning.

@Susan... or anyone following my fitbit posts. So that first day was a fluke, as it's settled quite nicely now and I'm finding the numbers to be very comparable to my force data. I do find the HR accurate on it. A new feature I found is that you can set (on website dashboard) to tap display screen twice and it will display one set of data without you having to press the button through the sequence. I picked HR so I can tap during a workout to make sure my HR is in the right zone. I also tried the "track activity" function, which lets you choose run, walk or hike. It's just like the MapMyRun app, so that's one less app I have to use! It shows the map of your route, time, distance, splits, your average HR, plus how many minutes in your HR zones. Then it will show that session in relation to the rest of your day (how many exercise calories, AM etc). It is really packed full of features, and I'm really glad I decided to buy it. Again, the only thing I don't like about it (or have to get used to) is having to wear the band snug, I really liked to wear my force quite loose. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and I am feeling a bit of an ache in that wrist. I will have to take it off more often (Fitbit suggests this anyway) than I did my Force... which was 10 min a day for my shower.

Just adding... I noticed that my hike today was not synced to MFP, and I cannot figure out how to log it. The log function will not let me choose that session. Boo... need to figure that one out.

@Laurie... in your Thurs. truth you mentioned finding new activities to challenge you and push you to your limits. This will sound silly but lately I have been challenging myself to climb trees! I talk about geocaching all the time. (containers hidden all over the world and people use a GPS to find them, sign in and log their experience online) Well, some of these containers are hidden up in trees. A year ago I was 50 lbs heavier and HATED the tree climb caches because I had to walk away from them, I couldn't climb up, I was weak, too heavy. Now, I can climb 80 ft up a huge pine tree, and am enjoying it so much. It's quite an accomplishment, and it is such a rush of adrenalin to be up so high. I've even asked my trainer at physio to give me more upper body exercises (I told him I wanted to work up to a pull up- not that I wanted to climb trees :p ) so I can pull myself up into a tree where the lowest branch is at about my shoulder level. Unheard of a few months ago!

AFM... this week has not been good... I started having cluster headaches on Sunday night after months without any. They are whiplash headaches and originate in the back of my neck just below the skull bone. I've been waking up with a tight band of pain across my forehead every morning this week, and the pain moves all around my head all day long. I've been going to bed at about 8-8:30 pm all week, as long as I'm asleep I don't feel it. I take 2 meds at bed that knock me out and allow me to sleep. I've had a heating pad on my neck and cold cloth on my forehead every night too. Today, finally... the headaches stopped. All of a sudden, gone. It is such a relief, the neck and shoulder pain persists but at least I can bear that better than the headaches. I need some more acupuncture treatment I think. I didn't believe it worked when I had those sessions a few months ago, but now I'm beginning to think it helped. The chiropractor who did it is now gone, and the new chiro does not do it. The new accupuncturist has limited hours so far and none jives with my work schedule. Apparently my physiotherapist does it too, so I will have to ask her for treatment next time I see her.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have to get used to logging again, it is a good habit that I have gotten out of .
    @skinnyjeanzbound the profile photo, is our new dog.
    @Tricia8008 Oh man I am the 2014 Queen of Relapse - stress, learning to cook for an 11 year old, more stress and a wonky thyroid and I gained 80# of the 126# I lost, DANG!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone-
    Well, I'm officially on Spring Break. Although I'm happy about it, today was bittersweet. We went out after work with some current and former work friends. One was my friend who I've mentioned is back to battling cancer. This was the first time I've gotten to see her in person and talk to her about her prognosis and it's not good. :cry: She's back on chemo--doing an oral treatment this time where she's 7 days on and 21 days off. When asked for how long/how many rounds, her response was "until it stops working."

Basically, this time the cancer is no longer considered curable, just treatable. Her doctors feel any attempt to completely eradicate the cancer will result in such a poor quality of life that it's not worth trying. I couldn't bring myself to ask how long they think it will keep the cancer in check. She's 28 years old.

I managed to hold it together and have a good time just hanging out with her, but I bawled the whole way home and 2 hours later I'm still crying. Trying to get it all out of my system now, so I can keep my composure during the fundraiser in her honor tomorrow.

My food today absolutely sucked and I'm having a hard time even caring about that right now. I know I'll be back at it tomorrow, but can't worry about it at the moment.

Friday Fitness:
    Ugh. Other than a short walk or tow with gunner, I've gotten in zero exercise this week. My foot is feeling better today, but still not 100%. My cold hasn't gotten any worse, so that's good.

March Challenge:
    At or under calories 5/7 days every week and at or under as a weekly average.
    Week 1: At/under calories 4/7 (but one day I was only over by 7 calories) UNDER FOR WK
    Week 2: At/under calories 5/7 OVER FOR WK

All-in strength challenge=core work 3 x/week; PT 1-2 x/week; run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs (sick most of week though)
    Week 2: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs
    Week 3: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    Week 4: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 55 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15)

Grading Goals:
    1. x/64 AP essays
    2. x/16 AP analysis activities
    3. x/12 America Poem analyses
    4. 45/60 Gatsby tests
    5. 1/64 Wuthering Heights journals

Exercise Goals: (week 3)
    Sun--walk gunner DONE
    Mon--meeting
    Tues--PT DONE + walk gunner NOT DONE
    Wed--meeting
    Thurs--PT NOT DONE + walk gunner DONE
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner

2015 Mantra = Just 15 minutes
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

Survived the day with 4 kids and 1 Mom (mine), but barely! I should have eaten a bigger breakfast. I ate at about 7:30AM, and we didn't get lunch until about 1:30PM. Aunt Sissy was HANGRY by then! Also didn't sleep great last night, and the 2 extra kids, while I love 'em, created a lot more work. So some crankypants from me, and a little from Mom/Nana, but overall it was a fun day. Got some super cute outfits for the birthday girl, and we took them to a place at the mall that's all bouncey houses where they wore themselves out. :wink:

My food choices could have been better, although I didn't go over my calories. Honestly, I really wanted to go through the salad bar at Hyvee (we went there to choose food from the deli/hot food counter, then had a picnic at the park), but the kids were so overly-stimulated by then that just the thought of trying to build a salad with them needing attention made me even more tired. I chose a fried chicken meal instead and let the man behind the counter get it for me.

OK, I'm falling asleep at the keyboard. Catch y'all on the flipside!
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Single Parent Day

National Single Parent Day

link

“Never look back unless you are planning to go that way.” ~Henry David Thoreau

Tom
  • brown_eyed_frog
    Options
    So I missed Friday, but to get back on track. Saturday is about successes, and this week I've had a couple. My friends went out for yogurt (the kind that I add brownies to), and I declined. They made a whole bunch of food that smelled wonderful but was wrapped in carbs, and when I stood their smelling it I took a deep breath and grabbed a container of cut cauliflower I'd prepared earlier in the day.

If I'd had the yogurt or the pot-stickers, I know I would have taken the opportunity to keep eating and it would end in a binge. So for me, these were very positive things. The same friends did bring home some beef jerky and encouraged me to have some though, so that's extra nice. :smiley:
  • NewCaddy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you to those that responded to my questions. I will begin focusing on my protein. It’s something I love but there are times that I think it’s just too much.  I do weigh my food and I’ve been really good about not licking the spoon after making a new cake. I do still have to taste the butter cream but I log it. Kelley, I sometimes worry that I’m not fueling my body enough with my calories, but I will try to focus on macros for a couple weeks and see what that does for me.

@Susan…ah spring baseball! Up here we usually started in April and that was always tricky because it would be snowy or so muddy we had a hard time getting on a field. One game in a parka and the next with sunscreen and sunseeds. Jacob chose not to play baseball last year. He said he’s going to focus on football, basketball and track.
    @Tanya…whatever the reason, glad your headaches are gone.
    @Karen…ooooh that doesn’t sound good for your friend. So sad. I guess all you can do is be supportive, be there for her and enjoy whatever time you have left with her. I’ll still be praying for a miracle as those happen all the time.
    @Mel…bouncy houses are a wonderful thing. 
    @Tom…I’m not technically a single Mom but I’m celebrating it anyway. For the first 12 years of my kids’ life, their dad was not around on nights or weekends for his work and the responsibility fell 100% on my shoulders. However, he was still there providing income and house cleaning (sometimes). He finally is here now and it’s been a relief…a relief that single mom’s don’t always get. They have my respect for sure.

AFM…total failure this week on water, lifting and cardio. Still good on calories. I’ve decided that those gym sessions with my sister are not only good for my body but essential to my mental health. Staying at home all day really gets to me and I realized this week (after not going to the gym at all) how much I really need them.

Well, that’s all the time I have. My frosting should be set so I can start to work on the fondant. Cake #2 is getting picked up at 3:00 today and then I’m done until next week. They are cute though and I will post pictures when this second one is done…hardest to date for me and I’m excited how they are coming out. Between steps (cuz I usually have to let some things set) I am watching Fiddler on the Roof. I've seen parts of it but never the full thing. Yay!

• GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Ok folks, I've been absent from the thread for more than a week, and it took me HOURS to catch up (& I still think I missed a few things). I'm not going to try to do personals because I'm on my iPhone.
    AFM - in the last 2 weeks, so much has happened and I have to say my stress level is definitely UP! Last Monday we had to put our Elektra down, after 5 months of trying to get her better (& $2k in expenses) she was worse off than when we started, unable to stand, lift he head, eat or even poop without help. So Monday we took her in and had her euthanized. It was a difficult day. Thurs last week was my hubs 67th birthday. He's been having problems with his breathing for weeks (he has COPD/emphysema) and it was getting worse. We saw his GU doc on Thursday and she told him to go to pulmonary & get a treatment but he didn't. We went out to the County Line BBQ for dinner with family & friends and had a great time. Friday night when he picked me up from work he told me he wanted to go to the emergency room on Saturday for a breathing treatment. When we got there they admitted him & transported him to Austin in an ambulance. He was in the hospital for 5 days with pneumonia. They sent him home with oxygen which he uses all the time now. Now I have allergy related chest congestion & I hope I'm not coming down with bronchitis again! Trying to deal with my hubs with patience & understanding and still keep my sanity is wearing on me and I need a break bad.
    - So, then yesterday my niece had her baby boy Aiden. I just tried to visit and got there just when quiet time started so I have to leave then come back, GRER!