Bread

Options

Replies

• KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is correct. Ditch the bread. Just a really poor use of calories. Nothing good in bread. Many better choices.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    Carbs turn into sugar..
    Everything we eat (barring protein and fiber) turns in to sugar as that is the fuel our body runs on.

Sorry, OP, but I think your trainer has you on a fool's errand. I like bread. I have a slice or two daily. It gives me sustained energy besides having a pleasing texture.

Fruit is good too.

Gluten is a long sticky protein that makes bread elastic and fluffy. For a small proportion of people (Celiacs) it makes them sick. Do you get sick from bread?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Bread is a refined sugar which isn't natural... Your body actually goes threw withdrew when you cut out sugar and bread

Honestly if you are going to follow your trainers advice and then proceed to tell us about bread then why are you posting? You clearly arent interested in any advice.

Just for the general conversation my take on bread is its not left my diet but is quite calorie dense for the amount of satiety it provides me. Its more a treat now and ive changed to wholemeal seedy type bread.

Just heh @ the nothing good in bread.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Bread is a refined sugar which isn't natural... Your body actually goes threw withdrew when you cut out sugar and bread

Honestly if you are going to follow your trainers advice and then proceed to tell us about bread then why are you posting? You clearly arent interested in any advice.

+1
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Bread is not a refined sugar. Bread is made from wheat and is as natural as anything you can eat.

As for eliminating gluten, you would have to eliminate most grain from your diet. Even stuff like oats has gluten in it. Personally, I would get tired of eating rice all the time.

I have gluten free kids and a husband for allergy reasons, don't eat a lot of rice either. Was just an ignorant comment. And that wheat bread is not as "natural" as you believe.

sand is natural, guess I should choose that over a GF muffin, amirite?

They might taste the same...

Ive had some bad GF baked goods but i make a wicked good Gf banana bread. My coworkers couldnt tell

Nope, they taste delicious. Udi's, Kinnikinnick, and a few other generic brands make some delicious GF baked goods.

I was kidding
    Since GF is trendy there are a lot more options out there for Celiacs to choose from and ive been told the taste has improved.
    I havent bought any massed produced GF treat as I can eat gluten but I've baked some and did get a delicious treat from a local bakery in CT.

But thanks for the reminder, maybe what I'll bake tomorrow will be GF to use up my supplies! =]

Oh wasn't sure, lots of people here bag on the GF pre-made stuff haha.

Idk if the taste has improved in general or if it's just that there are better brands coming out, or both.. I have had some breads that tasted SO BAD,like... sour. And soo dense. Now they ar emuch more airy, still denser of course but not sour. Might be certain brands though, but I'm glad it actually tastes good (been GF 5 years, so maybe it's improved in that time?)

I'm about to bake myself a GF protein banana bread, aaah two beautiful things coming together.
    Want that bread. Please send some to me!

From celiacs I know, I know some of the GF stuff out there blows.

Ooo btw, found a recipe for GF baked pumpkin donuts. So those are gonna happen since I have pumpkin to use too lol
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Bread is a typical example of carbs which spike insulin quickly leading to hunger soon after a meal. If you're hungry on a diet, swapping such carbs for proteins is a common sense move.

What if the person is already getting enough protein?
    What if the person can eat bread and still be in a caloric deficit?
    Your trainer is correct. Ditch the bread. Just a really poor use of calories. Nothing good in bread. Many better choices.

Nothing good in bread at all?

Quoting for those on mobile
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have had two (or more) slices of bread pretty much every single day while: at deficit, bulking and now maintenance. If you like it, eat it. If you don't, eat something else. Not much else to it.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Not all breads are created equal. The basic ingredients in bread are flour, water, salt and yeast. If the flour is whole grain flour, bread can be a good source of fiber. Mass-produced, fluffy, white sandwich bread is often made with added sugars and the white flour has had it's bran, and much of its fiber, stripped out. "Dough conditioners" with complex chemical names are used to enhance fluffiness and shelf life. Yuck!

Today, I will make a loaf of bread. Its ingredients will be a mixture of flours, water, salt, and yeast. That's it. I may add a little oatmeal or rye flakes to up the fiber content even further. Add time and heat and you have bread. Voila.

For your first bread-making experiment, try "no-knead" bread. There are lots of recipes out there.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Bread is not a refined sugar. Bread is made from wheat and is as natural as anything you can eat.

As for eliminating gluten, you would have to eliminate most grain from your diet. Even stuff like oats has gluten in it. Personally, I would get tired of eating rice all the time.

I have gluten free kids and a husband for allergy reasons, don't eat a lot of rice either. Was just an ignorant comment. And that wheat bread is not as "natural" as you believe.

Ive had some bad GF baked goods but i make a wicked good Gf banana bread. My coworkers couldnt tell

Nope, they taste delicious. Udi's, Kinnikinnick, and a few other generic brands make some delicious GF baked goods.

I was kidding
    Since GF is trendy there are a lot more options out there for Celiacs to choose from and ive been told the taste has improved.
    I havent bought any massed produced GF treat as I can eat gluten but I've baked some and did get a delicious treat from a local bakery in CT.

But thanks for the reminder, maybe what I'll bake tomorrow will be GF to use up my supplies! =]

Idk if the taste has improved in general or if it's just that there are better brands coming out, or both.. I have had some breads that tasted SO BAD,like... sour. And soo dense. Now they ar emuch more airy, still denser of course but not sour. Might be certain brands though, but I'm glad it actually tastes good (been GF 5 years, so maybe it's improved in that time?)

I'm about to bake myself a GF protein banana bread, aaah two beautiful things coming together.

Ooo btw, found a recipe for GF baked pumpkin donuts. So those are gonna happen since I have pumpkin to use too lol
    link duh
  • athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Check out sprouted bread. Companies like Ezekial make great products. They make bread from sprouts and not flour which I think is what your trainer is steering you away from. Personally I love the products. Bread also causes bloating for me, too.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

I was kidding

link duh

This is where I get a bunch of my gluten free recipes
    http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2012/10/gluten-free-pumpkin-donuts.html?m=1

I might add some chocolate chips... pulse in my food processor briefly...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Carbohydrates, fiber, protein. . . these are nothing good?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    your trainer is an idiot..

get a new one.

there is no need to cut out bread.

just hit your calorie/macro/micor targets and keep lifting...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    She never said all sugar is bad just refined. Natural sugar is ok tho

lol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Bread is a refined sugar

no it isn't... well, maybe white bread. but have whole wheat instead.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Carbs turn into sugar..

so are you avoiding vegetables too? Because carbs tun into sugar?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Troll topic that will create a 10 page discussion.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Troll topic that will create a 10 page discussion.

I suspect you are correct sir!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    the amount of bro science in here is alarming though ...