Bread

Options

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    Bread is a refined sugar which isn't natural... Your body actually goes threw withdrew when you cut out sugar and bread

Bread is not a refined sugar. Bread is made from wheat and is as natural as anything you can eat.

As for eliminating gluten, you would have to eliminate most grain from your diet. Even stuff like oats has gluten in it. Personally, I would get tired of eating rice all the time.

I have gluten free kids and a husband for allergy reasons, don't eat a lot of rice either. Was just an ignorant comment. And that wheat bread is not as "natural" as you believe.

sand is natural, guess I should choose that over a GF muffin, amirite?

They might taste the same...

Ive had some bad GF baked goods but i make a wicked good Gf banana bread. My coworkers couldnt tell
  • Generic_Excuse
    Generic_Excuse Posts: 607 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut anything. Moderation is the key.

This.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Bread is a refined sugar which isn't natural... Your body actually goes threw withdrew when you cut out sugar and bread

Bread is not a refined sugar. Bread is made from wheat and is as natural as anything you can eat.

As for eliminating gluten, you would have to eliminate most grain from your diet. Even stuff like oats has gluten in it. Personally, I would get tired of eating rice all the time.

I have gluten free kids and a husband for allergy reasons, don't eat a lot of rice either. Was just an ignorant comment. And that wheat bread is not as "natural" as you believe.

You have a husband for allergy reasons??? Mine often has the opposite effect on me: he drives me right out of my skin.

I agree on wheat, as we eat it, being "natural". I wonder whether anyone who makes that claim has ever actually eaten a stalk of wheat. :) And sure, it's natural, technically, as in: originally from the earth. Since everything we have, use and consume is. So I have to assume people mean unrefined or minimally refined...? Well, no and no. Again: visit your local farmer. Ask him or her for a stalk of wheat. To he fair, you can even boil or bake the wheat stalk if you'd like. Attempt to eat it and then get back to us.

Not that I'm knocking refined foods, mind you. I eat them aplenty. Yum! But this idea that bread is a whole product that comes straight from the farmer's field to your plate with maybe one gentle process in there...come on.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Is she having you count calories? If she's not, then I think I understand where she's coming from. If you reduce or remove a lot of the high calorie foods that aren't satiating, then you'll be left with more high volume low calorie foods. So by eating only those, you'll feel satiated and be in a deficit. Thus you'll lose weight.

The other way to do it is to count your calories, and eat the things you like.

I'm in a way doing both. I'm using this to log everything so I know. But I just wanna see if I feel better over all to limit or cut certain things out.. It can't hurt to try something new:)

Yup. Sounds good to me. If it's working for you and sustainable then give it a try.

appreciative of your feedback.. found it helpful :)
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options

Ive had some bad GF baked goods but i make a wicked good Gf banana bread. My coworkers couldnt tell

Once you get the hang of making gluten free stuff it gets way easier and you are allowed to experiment. Store bought GF is not the greatest, okay it's not good but homemade can be amazing.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

You have a husband for allergy reasons??? Mine often has the opposite effect on me: he drives me right out of my skin.

I agree on wheat, as we eat it, being "natural". I wonder whether anyone who makes that claim has ever actually eaten a stalk of wheat. :)

Not that I'm knocking refined foods, mind you. I eat them aplenty.

Hahahaha ya bad wording.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Once you get the hang of making gluten free stuff it gets way easier and you are allowed to experiment. Store bought GF is not the greatest, okay it's not good but homemade can be amazing.

I meant homemade.
    Ugh I tried this muffin recipe... oops.
    I had a coworker with celiacs so I dabbled in gluten free baking. Banana bread and chocolate gingerbread were successes. The cherry muffins, not so much
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Carbs turn into sugar..

Fortunately I have an army of symbiotes inside my cells who specialize in extracting useful energy from sugars.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but my sister, mum and brother in law all eat a lot of bread and they all have that flabby pot belly look to them. Wheat belly they call it. Whereas I rarely eat any bread and have never had that problem
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So my trainer recommended cutting bread outta my diet... I was just curious if this also would Include gluten free aswell.. Lol.. Having a hard time with bread so I wa just curious if there both considered the same...

Why did she recommend you cut bread out?

Bread is a fine food. I'm making some French Bread in my bread maker right now.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Carbs turn into sugar..

Fortunately I have an army of symbiotes inside my cells who specialize in extracting useful energy from sugars.

Clever little things, those symbiotes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

I think that's a myth. ;)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I think that's a myth. ;)

or it's an excuse for people who claim they just can't give up sugar...

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Nope, they taste delicious. Udi's, Kinnikinnick, and a few other generic brands make some delicious GF baked goods.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Nope, they taste delicious. Udi's, Kinnikinnick, and a few other generic brands make some delicious GF baked goods.

I was kidding
    Since GF is trendy there are a lot more options out there for Celiacs to choose from and ive been told the taste has improved.
    I havent bought any massed produced GF treat as I can eat gluten but I've baked some and did get a delicious treat from a local bakery in CT.

But thanks for the reminder, maybe what I'll bake tomorrow will be GF to use up my supplies! =]
  • MartaJas
    MartaJas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For the last six months I've been eating bread every morning (and some evenings) and still lost 35 lbs. For weight loss or weight management I count calories. I have found that that is the only way to actually loose or maintain weight. I made the transition to wholewheat bread simply because it's a healthier choice, cause the calorie count is basically the same.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Bread is a typical example of carbs which spike insulin quickly leading to hunger soon after a meal. If you're hungry on a diet, swapping such carbs for proteins is a common sense move.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

I was kidding
    Since GF is trendy there are a lot more options out there for Celiacs to choose from and ive been told the taste has improved.
    I havent bought any massed produced GF treat as I can eat gluten but I've baked some and did get a delicious treat from a local bakery in CT.

But thanks for the reminder, maybe what I'll bake tomorrow will be GF to use up my supplies! =]

Oh wasn't sure, lots of people here bag on the GF pre-made stuff haha.

Idk if the taste has improved in general or if it's just that there are better brands coming out, or both.. I have had some breads that tasted SO BAD,like... sour. And soo dense. Now they ar emuch more airy, still denser of course but not sour. Might be certain brands though, but I'm glad it actually tastes good (been GF 5 years, so maybe it's improved in that time?)

I'm about to bake myself a GF protein banana bread, aaah two beautiful things coming together.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I see bread as a vehicle for getting bread and cheese to my mouth, so when cutting calories I will cut that first because I'd rather have more cheese. It's about what calories are worth more to me.