WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Elle, great joke!

Here is today's joke of the day. The one I get through an email list.

:)

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson went on a camping trip. After a good meal and a bottle of wine, they lay down for the night, and went to sleep.

Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend.

"Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."

Watson replied, "I see millions and millions of stars."

"What does that tell you?" Holmes asked.

Watson pondered for a minute:

"Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Theologically, I can see that God is all-powerful and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you?"

Holmes was silent for a minute, then spoke.

"Watson, you idiot. Somebody has stolen our tent!"

:D
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC - your praying mantis sounds very colorful! It will look beautiful out by your pool!

Sylvia - it sounded like a very lively party! Your DGD will have a very exciting day today retelling the events of last night! You are a very special Grandma!

Lillian - you and me both! I was gone for one day and 48 post later... I'm glad that you had a good time with your DGD!

MNMargaret - the blown glass garden is beautiful! you take such awesome pictures.

Lesley - I'm glad that your visit with your doctor went well. it is nice to be able to talk to somebody about the loss of a loved one. You are so energetic with your workouts!

Joyce - I am sorry to hear about your headache! I used to get them daily, really bad migraines. I get Botox shots on my forehead and around my eyes and it last for 3 to 4 months. I am usually migraine free the whole time. It sounds like you're DGD'S are going to love their new bedroom's!

Sharon - you look great in those costumes! I love the fairy godmother one. although, you do look very sinister in the Crulla disguise! I'm sorry to hear about the counseling appointment getting you stressed out. I begged my ex for 5 years to go with me, but as you notice he is my ex!

Allison - what is a living trust?

Gilly - I'm Glad you checked in, I love the Partridge Family and David Cassidy! He was so cute, and still is. although, my sisters and I are no longer fighting over who is going to marry him!

Naomi - good luck on your meeting today it is always hard to have that type of discussion with a colleague. congratulations on your pre-planning and calorie conservation! that is a very good idea for me when I have things going on where I know I will be eating differently than normal.

Carey - love the poem!

Heather - I have been putting off going to the dentist for a couple of years now. I have a cracked molar. it doesn't hurt at all because I have had a root canal on it. even though I had braces when I was young my teeth are squished and Crooked on the bottom and I hate using floss pics. it is like a fight. on Dr Oz the other day they were doing what is called oil pulling with coconut oil. I am on day 4 and my teeth feel extremely clean even between them. supposedly it dissolve the plaque and pull that and bacteria from between your teeth. it also whitens your teeth. and gives you fresh breath. my husband join me and is on the 3 today. such a noticeable difference in such a short time. I may never have to go to the dentist again! You might want to try that if you hate dentist like I do!

Jane - glad to hear that your daughter can go back to school!

Lillian - I didn't know that about sugar! that is good to know.

Katla - it is hard to catch up once you get behind isn't it!

Beth in Kennebunk Maine - I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling well (((hugs)))

Cynthia - I'm glad to hear that your horses oral surgery went well. You have a wonderful husband and mother you lucky girl you!

Carol in NC - have a good visit with your parents and daughter! great idea to bring food along. we do that to, it does seem that mom always wants to make something even though it's extremely difficult for her to do.

Ellie - Day 4 yea! You are on the road to success. thanks for the joke!

Meg - I'm sorry to hear about your to day bug! don't you wish you could just step on it and squish it and it would be over...

Yanniejannie - it's nice that you have a friend that you can go to an exercise class with! Zumba, is a tough class! I do the home video and it took a couple of weeks before I got through the video correctly. I also have a hard time with the jumping. keep us informed about your upcoming surgery.

Boy, it is sure hard catching up after you have one day away from here! I picked up my daughters chocolate lab yesterday. I thought he was going to shake the car apart he was so freaked out when my daughter did not get into the car with us! I think he shook for at least an hour on the way home before he calm down enough to fall asleep. they come up for the month of November hunt so he is used to beam at my house. when we got there he was more relaxed and happy to see my DH. Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sylvia great Sherlock joke.

Cynthia they did not say who created the glass sculptures, but I am sure they used Chihuly as inspiration if they are not originals. About five years ago they used his glass sculptures in the gardens of Tower Grove Park in St. Louis. Some onion ones and a large blue glass chandelier are still there at the park.

These are from the surrealist garden at Art in Bloom. I think they are using the painting Human condition by Magritte as an inspiration. This picture was from as you entered creating the framework. It was up high and the same image was projected on the garden wall. You can see it in the background. that.j1tqm39wt5ex.jpg
    This is what greeted you when you walked into the space. As I said above the clouds was the negative image of the cut out. Brillant.
    iiaz504mgbio.jpg
    These are the kind of flowers that made up the garden.
    vh1ys6ma97qb.jpg

Went on a field trip today to a place called Belwin. It is a nature preserve used as a teaching space for intercity children to learn about nature. A truly beautiful spot.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Hello everyone! .... It is sooo nice to see this thread is still going!
    I don't know how long it is since I logged in but I can say I should have not gone AWOL.
    The lbs have gone on and now I need to get them off ..... Again!!
    Sadly the cat whose photo you can see is no more ...he's sadly missed.
    I have not been able to read all the posts but will try and keep up!
    So here I am .... I do hope you'll have me back
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Yannie jannie - thank you for crediting me with a good memory, but the truth is I was OBSESSED with Gunslinger. Lived and breathed him. Dreamed him. Fantasised about him. He was my soul mate. I thought I would never love another the way I loved him. Apart from Elvis, of course. :laugh: I remember cycling home early and very, very fast for miles from a Girl Guide camp out so as not to miss an episode. I am word perfect on the theme song.
    - In my adolescent mind I was a mixture of a cowboy myself and a cowboy's girlfriend. I had a toy Colt 45 that I used to twirl in my bedroom.
    - Those were the (mixed up ) days! :happy:

Heather UK
  • fanncy0626
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    That is a picture of my Grand Furbaby, Kratos.

Mary from Minnesota
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    He's adorable Mary...Did you say fur"baby"? :D
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Friday and started my new BREO ellipta for asthma.
    Breakfast was Jeannttes' french toast with mixed fruit and black coffee.
    Training is Jeannettes' Blast belly and Jeannette's Circuit A.
    Need to walk round our own walking tracks this afternoon.
    It is autumn here. Rained hard yesterday and we lit the wood fire, so cosy
    OK need to log food
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Mary...what a cute furbaby! Love!!! :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    nice day out, sun is shining, clear skies, 66 degrees. I think I will ride home!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Speedracer13- thanks! I'm having a lot of fun playing with, and walking him!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Biggest Loser Power Sculpt DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Denise Austin's Boot Camp DVD.

Later this morning I'll go to the Green Room, then go to ceramics and at least put the second coat of pain on the wings. On the way back I need to stop at Lowes Foods since I still don't have the party rye for the appetizer for tomorrow night. If they don't have party rye, I'm going to look to see if there isn't some sort of rye bread cracker. I should be home by 3 to take the cats to the vet at 4.

Sharon - I do hope hubby shows up for your appt, but if he doesn't, it'll be good for you to go even by yourself. I'm proud of you

Margaret
    - awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing.

peachstategal
    - I hope hubby can fix that leak, too. We just had a leak down the basement and it's no fun.

Sylvia - you're right, it WAS Richard Chamberlain that played Kildaire. At least I got the Chamberlain part right....lol

Cheryl - Believe it or not, the Wii is where I got this tip, and it seems to be working. Yes, there are times at night when I'm wanting to nosh on something. The Wii suggested tofu or applesauce. So I always have some of the tofu/cocoa mix in the refrig that I can have while I'm watching TV and that doesn't seem to derail my loss. Go figure! Now if I have an apple or orange or something like that, now that will derail it. But not tofu or applesauce. Tell me all about how fast the weight comes off but when you get close to goal (or at it) it takes FOREVER, if at all, for any weight to come off! I hate that.

Beth
    - glad you're feeling a bit better. You get better fast, ya hear????

elle - cute joke

Meg - continue to get better. I remember one time I bought a coat for my father. There is no way he would have spent the $$ that I spent, but I knew that he really needed a nice warm coat. So I told him that I got it on sale for 50% off. Not that I really did, but he needed the coat and that was about the only way I could get him to take it. I knew that if he knew that I'd paid full price, he'd tell me to take it back and buy one at KMart.

myny... - welcome back! So sorry to hear about the cat, that's so hard, they sure are part of our lives, huh?

After volunteering at the Green Room went to the ceramic place and put the second coat of pain on the wings, then left to go to Lowes Foods for a few things (not much), had to rush home to take Bonnie & Clyde to the vets office.

Tomorrow I volunteer at the Green Room, then need to stop at one food store since I know they carry the certain wine that I think Kris might like, then going to pick up the dress for the Murder Mystery dinner tomorrow night, then I'll go to Bi-Lo to get a few things. Who knows? Depending on the time, I might run to Aldi, or I might not, I don't know.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    megblair1 wrote: »
    Hi to my lovely friends. I have spent the last 2 days in bed ( and in the bathroom) with the worst GI bug ever! OMG I can’t remember the last time I had anything like this go on. I finally ate something this afternoon, but it’s not sitting very well. Ugh!

OK ladies, time to go back to bed. UGH. Take care all. Meg from Omaha

This sounds a lot like what I just got over on our trip home from CO. I was lucky that the bathroom portion of the program didn't start until we stopped for the night at a hotel. :-(
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I had breakfast with three dear friends today. We worked together for years and formed a strong friendship despite the stresses, strains, and squabbles created by working together. It was so good to see them! Three of us are retired, and one is still working. I've been happy all day because we had the chance to share a meal and reconnect.

The headache left over from my illness is easing and tummy is much better. I'm planning to go to yoga and my riding lesson tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll feel good enough to do both things.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Just scanned through hundreds of posts...I'm woefully behind!

On the TV shows - wasn't the show with lion Hatari?

Gail, metro ATL
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Last story about working with Shari Lewis. She was a New Yorker transplanted in the West Coast, but never learned to drive. I drove her to all appointments and she was always working in the car long before the advent of mobile devices. She talked into a dictaphone all day long and another secretary listened to and transcribed all the notes. Some of the notes were tasks for me. Part of my job included working as my boss’s personal shopper. I was sent out to many fancy stores in Beverly Hills, credit card in hand, to pick up anything from knee high dress boots to pant suits to lipstick to light bulbs. This is how a lot of celebrities shop, so the stores all know that the items may be returned due to size, color or other issues. I also did deliveries. I will never forget taking a book to a specific address, ringing the front doorbell and having it answered by Phyllis Diller. B) Came to learn Shari and Phyllis were good friends.

I grew up in North Hollywood, just blocks from Universal Studios so seeing and being around celebrities and their kids was the norm. After I left my job with Shari, I went to work at the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. The Academy is best known for the Emmy Awards, but we did other events the rest of the year. I met the best of the best in the television industry, but my favorites out of all the various specialties were the animators. I have a collection of Bugs Bunny drawings and animation cels these sweet masters drew for me. ‘Nuf already. I’m making myself nostalgic.

Ladies, you continue to inspire me with your compassion, creativity and courage. <3<3<3 Keep it up. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

smiley-happy110.gifmynyddisamrs, I am so happy to see you back. I see you among my friends and have wondered how you are doing. I am so sorry to hear about your cat. Our fur babies are so precious.

:D This has been a busy day that gave me only enough time to read the posts.

smiley-sleep012.gif.Barbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    stats for the day, NICE ride home:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11min, 16.2amph est. 3mi = 90cal
    ski machine - 20min, incl5, 50resistance, .79mi = 179cal
    elliptical- 10min, 113av strides per min, incl10, resist.10, .84mi = 86cal
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.10min, 14amph, 1.4mi = 99cal
    ride wk 2 hm- 52min, 11.6amph, 10mi = 483cal
    total cal 937

Poerava, i loved hearing your stories... feel free to share more.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening Ladies,

Jane, you will just have to have more sleep-overs with the DGDs. That is so cute. Glad the gall bladder surgery went well and DD is back to school.

Katla, your breakfast with friends you haven’t seen in a while sounds really nice. I'm glad you had fun catching up.

Beth, I also hope you are on the mend. There is so much sickness going around this time of year. I hope everyone takes care to stay healthy.

Cynthia, what a nice surprise from your mom. I love surprises like that.

Carol NC, have a safe trip to visit your mom. How far away does she live?

Meg, so sorry you got the bug. Sending healing thoughts your way. Feel better soon!

Heather, so glad you survived the dentist. Yes, wouldn’t it have been wonderful if we had the grandparents sit for our little ones so we could take a trip? How times have changed.

Yannie, how wonderful that your friend practiced her massage on you. I want a friend like that!!!

Sylvia, love the joke. Lol

NM Margaret, beautiful flowers in the pictures.

Mynydd, welcome back. How long has it been since you were here? Good luck with the journey. If you have a name or nick-name that we can call you, it would be great if you signed your posts with it. Just makes it easier to respond. For those that are newer, please tell us a bit about yourself. Sorry to hear about your cat. It is so hard to lose our furry friends.

Heather, I enjoyed hearing about your obsession with gunslinger. Glad you were able to get over him. (Or did you?)

Mary, what a beautiful dog. That’s more like a “Fur Giant”. Wow, I’ll bet he eats his share.

Michele NC, tell us what the Green Room is? If you told us before, I must have missed it. (I’m so sure I didn’t forget. LOL)

Rori, you have to understand that us “plain folks” are very interested in your stories. Thanks for sharing and feel free to share again.

I'm a bit late finishing here because I've been talking with an old friend from Milwaukee about going on a cruise in May. She has a rare cancer of the blood and still gets chemo every three weeks, so our window of opportunity is somewhat limited. I haven't seen her in about 10 years and that was at her husband's funeral. They were dear friends when we lived there and I'd love the chance to spend some time with her.

I hope you all have a happy and healthy night/day ladies. <3

Quote for the day:

The fact that there is a Highway to Hell
    And only a stairway to Heaven
    Says a lot about the anticipated traffic numbers
    Author unknown

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC