Replies

• Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Spinach Day!
    Spinach Day

Very often a change of self is needed more than a change of scene. ~Arthur Christopher Benson

Tom
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    @tom love the quote.
    I took DH to urgent care this morning. He has a significant bladder infection. Hope the antibiotics kick in fast.
    Thanks for your concern.
    Kaye
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Frost has recovered! At least to the point where he's eating and drinking on his own, for the first time since Saturday. He definitely has more energy, too. I let him go outside for a while so he could sit in the sun, his very favorite thing. *big sigh* What a relief!

5u4k7o6d347d.jpg

(Frost yesterday when he was sick. Poor baby.)

In other good news, Stepdad and I just finished installing the last piece of crown moulding in my living room. Still need to caulk the seams and do a little painting, then I get to CLEAN MY HOUSE.

Plus I got a big assignment this morning, about 4x my usual length (and rate) with this client. Things are looking up in Melifornia! :smiley:
  • sasrosse
    sasrosse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    NEW to this thing - need help please ...
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth... at physio today I got a comment from another woman I've seen there before but haven't seen lately. She said I was really working hard. I replied that it was because I've gained 5 lbs in the last few months. It's true... I was weighed on Tuesday and am back up again. Not surprised at all, my eating has been terrible lately. And I know darn well that exercise makes me feel so much better and helps alleviate the pain, but I have been slacking off and using the pain as an excuse to be lazy and do more stretching than exercising at physio.

So tomorrow, it's back to tracking. I don't have to eat perfectly, but I have to log it and stay under calories. That is what works for me. The exercise is the easy part, I just have to tell my kinesiologist to push me despite how much I protest, and he will.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth - I realized today that I made it through the winter without gaining weight. I actually lost 14 pounds. The dark days are gone until next winter. I am feeling pretty good about where I am today. I am healthier in both mind and body than I was last year this time. I am so grateful to be participating in this wonderful group.
    Thank you to all who post here, I reap so much from you. You sharing your daily struggles and victories is so very much a part of my success.
    Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Kelley- I like the idea of making the Hero's run an annual event for our group. The cities plans work well. We can also add Annapolis to the list of cities. Plus there are also events on the West Coast for this event.

Lori- You are doing amazing with your training and losing weight. How are you doing with running and preparing for the triathlon? I am still working on liking running but it really does annoy me.

Kaye- I hope your husband is feeling better.

Karen- Good luck with your "to do" list and I hope you have nice weather as well.

Truth- I still don't like running and while I can do it and I know it is great for weight loss, it still bugs me. For me, it is very hard to overcome the mental blocks with running and the speed. Yes, I have learned to slow down but the negative voices want me to stop running and just walk. Every time I run, whether it is for speed or distance, I need to convince myself that I can do it. Tonight, my workout was speed training so I ran 1 mile at race pace- the longest 12 minutes ever (5.0mph), then did intervals for 1 minute going up to 5.4 mph with a slower run recovery. It was a very challenging workout tonight and that was after a 20 minute stationary bike (the fun part).

Question for all the runner out there- What type of running shorts do you prefer?

Time to go. Hope everyone has a great Friday.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @jennbo83 - If you can control your urges when under that kind of emotional stress, you are going to succeed in your diet.

@skinnyjeanzbound - Your to do list looks just like mine only #1 is the boy child's job.

@melifornia - happy for you and Frost

@sasrosse - this is a good board for asking questions.

@cblue315 - congrats on your successful winter.

AFM - The truth is I don't really have my heart in this process yet. But I have learned that sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do before your emotions kick in. I do know that I hate being over weight. :s
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @lori--congrats on losing 14 lbs this winter and feeling better--both physically and emotionally.

@tanya--I'm also guilty of some terrible eating over the past month or so. Focusing on my protein these past few days has helped a bit, but I need to do better.

@sassrose--welcome to the thread. What is it you need help with? Post your questions or struggles and we'll do our best to offer advice and support.

@melissa--Frost is adorable--glad he's feeling better.

@kaye--glad DH got a diagnosis and some meds to help.

@tracy (tlh)--sorry your mouth is still sore.

@kelley--Haha about your curtains and zoe. Yes, my beautiful Restoration Hardware silk sheers were floor length before gunner arrived. He never even purposely played with them like your cat. He's just such a big oaf that he would step all over them when trying to look out the window. When he gets really excited he sometimes puts his front paws up on the ledge of the bay window and that's how he tore the one panel in half.

AFM--I went to PT today and we decided it's time I go back to my doctor. Although I've made progress in some ways, some other movements have actually gotten more limited. I'm not sure what my PCP will say or do--I assume she will either send me to and ortho or order some sort of scan. I got home too late to make the appt. today, so I'll call tomorrow.

After PT, I went to get my hair and pedicure. Got a bit of grading done while my hair processed, but still have a lot left. Tomorrow morning I drop gunner at the salon and then will do some cleaning. However, I'm planning to grade in the afternoon.

Thursday Truth:
    Instead of having a high protein evening snack, I had vanilla ice cream with kalhua. :blush:

1. clean fish tank (DH does this, but doesn't do a "great" job)
    2. seal bathroom floor grout
    3. wash all of the bedding
    4. wash throw rugs
    5. buy new sheers for living room (gunner finally put a paw through one of my silk organza panels and tore it completely in half. I already had them shortened when we first got him b/c he tore up the bottom with his big puppy paws, so I can't just replace one panel. Nor do I want to as they were super expensive--I bought them years before we had a dog.)
    6. DO TAXES!!! DONE

March Challenge:
    At or under calories 5/7 days every week and at or under as a weekly average.
    Week 1: At/under calories 4/7 (but one day I was only over by 7 calories) UNDER FOR WK
    Week 2: At/under calories 5/7 OVER FOR WK
    Week 3: At/under calories 3/7 OVER FOR WK

All-in strength challenge=core work 3 x/week; PT 1-2 x/week; run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs (sick most of week though)
    Week 2: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs
    Week 3: x/3 core; PT DONE; x/3 runs YUCK
    Week 4: 2/3 core; PT DONE; 2/3 runs
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 55 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15)

Grading Goals:
    1. x/64 AP essays
    2. x/16 AP analysis activities
    3. x/12 America Poem analyses
    4. 14/64 Wuthering Heights journals

Exercise Goals: (week 4)
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon--walk gunner NOPE
    Tues--walk gunner NOPE
    Wed--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs--PT DONE
    Fri--walk gunner + gym
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

2015 Mantra = Just 15 minutes

• melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    @cblue315 - Woohoo! Way to go!

@skinnyjeanzbound - Sorry the shoulder isn't healing quickly. But yay for a pedicure?

@tanya - I feel ya. My eating has been off track for the past 10 days or so. I have to pull it together and soon!

AFM, in addition to Frost's recovery and finishing the crown moulding in the living room, today I landed a BIG assignment that pays really well. It's due Saturday, though, and I already committed to subbing at the high school all day tomorrow, so I'm gonna be hopping. Plus, I went to my first networking event and got a hot lead! The new manager of a local magazine remembered an article I wrote about a year ago and was very interested in me writing for it again. In fact, they'd just been talking about me and that article an editorial meeting this afternoon, wondering how to get in touch.

Good day for Mel. :smiley:
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Melifornia~Great news all around yesterday on the new writing assignments and especially that Frost is back to his usual self! :smile:

@Karen~I’m sorry your shoulder isn't progressing as it should, hope your doc has some answers. I injured my shoulder while moving into my house several years ago, I lifted a heavy box over my head (stupid, I know :flushed:) ended up with inflammation in the bursa—after a cortisone injection and a round of prednisone I was good as new (you may have tried this already, I can't remember :frowning:). I hope what is going on with your shoulder is easily remedied. Your evening snack sounded divine!

@Kaye~Hope DH heals quickly so he can enjoy your trip.

@Tracy~I had a craving for ice cream yesterday, too, which almost never happens. As ice cream goes, McDonald’s cones are 170 calories so not a bad choice and that is where I went! :wink:

@Laurie~I’m sorry running still isn’t your thing; I think some people could take it or leave it. :wink: I don’t wear running shorts, but wear compression capris—most of what I buy is by Champion or Columbia and made from moisture wicking fabrics, Kohl’s has a great selection and their prices are reasonable.

In honor of @skinnyjeanzbound (Karen) teaching Yeats to her students right now, I leave the newlings with this quote:

"There are no strangers here; only friends you haven't met yet." William Butler Yeats

AFM~Not much to report. After work I’m stopping at Trader Joe’s to stock up on some faves, then by Sherwin Williams (I :heart: their HGTV line of paint colors) for samples and then if I have time Bed, Bath and Beyond—so an afternoon of shopping (my favorite activity :lol:)!

• brandyeclark
    Options
    Hello. I've started this journey so many times and each time with a different idea that was going to work. This time I'm trying a simple approach - eat only "good" foods (no counting!) and slowly increase my daily steps. I know I'll have to count eventually and will need to log my food again, but it's working for now and I haven't got frustrated or given up yet. 17 lbs lost since mid Jan.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Spanish Paella Day
    link to Paella Day

Keep your spirits up. Good things will come to you and you will come to good things. ~Terri Guillemets

Tom
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Morgori wrote: »
    Good morning everyone.

Keep your spirits up. Good things will come to you and you will come to good things. ~Terri Guillemets

Tom

Good quote today, Tom. Its been a bad week at work with a horrific commute every.single.day (60-75 minutes each direction :rage:). I'll be glad when 3:00 gets here! :wink:

• cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @Lauriek70‌ - Someone sent me this a couple of months ago when I "knew" I would never be able to run a mile. Enjoy
    http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/five-things-i-learned-when-i-started-running?icid=OBtrafficRW_TBD_AR1
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness. This week didn’t add up as much as I wanted to. Yesterday I had the gym clothes on and everything and then my Mom texted “when are you picking me up?” ????? Oh yea, I had my nephews spring concert to attend at the exact same time my sis and I were going to meet at the gym. After the concert, it was late so we didn’t make it. Maybe I should remember to add things like that to my calendar huh?

@Kaye…glad your hubby is on antibiotics and hope it clears up quickly.
    @Tanya…isn’t it terrible how quickly we can make excuses. Mine is “time.” Well, we all know we can make time for things that are important to us…I just need to get this moved up on my priority list I guess.
    @Laurie…the closet they got to me is Minneapolis. Hopefully in the future, it will work for me to meet up with you somewhere for it. I think it’s a great idea to make it an event for this group.
    @Angel…fake it till you make it right?
    @Karen…hope they can figure out how to get your shoulder back to “normal” soon.
    @Kelley…I had the McDonald’s ice cream cone as a snack in the afternoon and then a Schwan’s one in the evening.

Nothing really new for me. I have my nephews today through Sunday so will be busy with them (we’re going to do some Easter Eggs). Then I have my cantata practice and performances. Probably not making the gym until Monday. We’ll see.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

PS...I have 30 oz of water down already!!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    *peeks head in and looks around to see if there's anyone she remembers*

Hey all :smile: spent a few HOURS catching up on everyone this morning. Miss you guys!
  • roserex
    roserex Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    How does one become a member of this group? I have been with MFP for years - restarted this Jan and have lost 20.2 but have so very far to go. Sounds like you all really support each other. Thanks. roserex (Quad Cities, Iowa)
  • palmerb2
    palmerb2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started with myfitnesspal a couple of years ago and lost about forty pounds. Wasn't easy and took a lot of work. I suffer from extreme depression and anxiety and the doc had changed my meds. Well I was tired all the time and hungry. I stopped working out and gained all the weight back plus another 20 in about 6 months. In January I got the doctor change my meds and I decided to try this again. I've lost 15 since January just through watching calories. I have gained so much that it has put a strain on my hips and back so it hurts to even walk. I hope as more weight comes off I will be able to add exercise in. Any ways...I am looking for anyone that wants to help motivate and support me through this. Please send a friend request and I will add you. Thanks.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    To all of the newlings--just come back and post to be apart of this group. Some of us have been a part of it for years, others are more recent, but all are welcome. If you go to the very first post on page 1, it gives some suggested daily topics, but you can post on any topic you'd like at any time.

@kris (mymowmow)--Welcome back!! I saw someone with a cat stroller a few weeks ago and thought of you. :smile:

@tracy (tlh)--don't you hate it when you double book yourself? I've been doing a lot of that lately. Between bargaining meetings and PT appointments, I can't keep track of my own schedule.

@kelley--yeah, I already did the course of prednisone and my shoulder felt great while I was on it, but it's definitely more than just swelling that's causing the pain. I got an appt for next Thursday, so hopefully that will lead to some answers.

@melissa--yay for the big assignment! And yes, yay for the pedicure--except I wish the weather were nice enough to actually show off my toes in some flip-flops. Woke up to more snow this morning, and it's cold and windy today.

AFM--I'm in the midst of getting the throw rugs and bedding washed, and my DH did a thorough cleaning of all the floors while gunner was at the salon. This afternoon I plan to grade and maybe hit the grocery store.

March Challenge:
    At or under calories 5/7 days every week and at or under as a weekly average.
    Week 1: At/under calories 4/7 (but one day I was only over by 7 calories) UNDER FOR WK
    Week 2: At/under calories 5/7 OVER FOR WK
    Week 3: At/under calories 3/7 OVER FOR WK

All-in strength challenge=core work 3 x/week; PT 1-2 x/week; run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs (sick most of week though)
    Week 2: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs
    Week 3: x/3 core; PT DONE; x/3 runs YUCK
    Week 4: 2/3 core; PT DONE; 2/3 runs
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 55 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15)

Grading Goals:
    1. x/64 AP essays
    2. x/16 AP analysis activities
    3. x/12 America Poem analyses
    4. 14/64 Wuthering Heights journals

Exercise Goals: (week 4)
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon--walk gunner NOPE
    Tues--walk gunner NOPE
    Wed--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs--PT DONE
    Fri--walk gunner DONE + gym