So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I find my stamina fine, its my legs, they seem heavy when I run, I assume this is something that gets stronger in time. Is there any particular weight training I can do to help speed this part up.

Run more. :smile:
  • Vivi_17
    Vivi_17 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love this!! I actually bought the couch to 5k and I love it so far :smile:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A quick question, has anyone had experience with achilles tendonitis? Should you run through that or rest?
  • Vivi_17
    Vivi_17 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @ricaninpink‌ this is the article I told you about
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A quick question, has anyone had experience with achilles tendonitis? Should you run through that or rest?

I did. I started doing eccentric heel drops and using a baseball to roll out my calves. As long as I did those every day I was able to continue running. After a few months I didn't need to do it any more. It occasionally flares up a little bit and a couple of days of rolling my calves and doing a few heel drops fixes it up.

ETA:
    http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/achilles-tendonitis-and-insertional-achilles-tendinopathy-in-runners/
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

I did. I started doing eccentric heel drops and using a baseball to roll out my calves. As long as I did those every day I was able to continue running. After a few months I didn't need to do it any more. It occasionally flares up a little bit and a couple of days of rolling my calves and doing a few heel drops fixes it up.

ETA:
    http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/achilles-tendonitis-and-insertional-achilles-tendinopathy-in-runners/

Great article. Mine still has issues from time to time. The heel drops help but the contrasting hot/cold bath is what fixed mine. That's a lifesaver for me.

Should you run through it? That depends on how irritated it is. If you must then ease up on mileage, speed, and skip any hill possible. That's the hardest thing on my achilles. Hills.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited March 2015
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

ETA:

Great article. Mine still has issues from time to time. The heel drops help but the contrasting hot/cold bath is what fixed mine. That's a lifesaver for me.

Should you run through it? That depends on how irritated it is. If you must then ease up on mileage, speed, and skip any hill possible. That's the hardest thing on my achilles. Hills.

Thank you @sjohnny. That was really helpful. Hills is what got me into this mess. Way too much hills mileage increase in a short time and now I can barely stand on it in the morning. It takes a while for it to "warm up" enough to walk without tiptoeing. I'm a little bit disappointed that the insertion kind heals slower though :confounded:

This was the last injury I ever expected to get because I have phenomenal ankle flexibility.
  • _Waffle_
    edited March 2015
    Options

ETA:

Thank you @sjohnny. That was really helpful. Hills is what got me into this mess. Way too much hills mileage increase in a short time and now I can barely stand on it in the morning. It takes a while for it to "warm up" enough to walk without tiptoeing. I'm a little bit disappointed that the insertion kind heals slower though :confounded:

This was the last injury I ever expected to get because I have phenomenal ankle flexibility.

If you can barely stand up on it I would cut out the running. Trust me on the contrasting bath thing. I took 5 months off and it never got better until I started doing that.

Get two 2.5 gallon buckets. Fill one with water that's so hot you can barely stand to put your foot in it. The other is ice water. 5 minutes per side 3 - 4 times. Start with hot water and end with cold. Do this every single day and stop running until it gets better. If it's stiff in the morning or if it feels irritated after the end of a long run then I still give myself a greenlight. If it's hurting when I wake up it's a red light for me. More time off.

Also get some shoes with a high heel to toe drop when you do start running. That puts less stress on the achilles. Pick something at least 8mm. Simply walking around in zero drop shoes used to irritate my achilles.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

ETA:

If you can barely stand up on it I would cut out the running. Trust me on the contrasting bath thing. I took 5 months off and it never got better until I started doing that.

Get two 2.5 gallon buckets. Fill one with water that's so hot you can barely stand to put your foot in it. The other is ice water. 5 minutes per side 3 - 4 times. Start with hot water and end with cold. Do this every single day and stop running until it gets better. If it's stiff in the morning or if it feels irritated after the end of a long run then I still give myself a greenlight. If it's hurting when I wake up it's a red light for me. More time off.

Also get some shoes with a high heel to toe drop when you do start running. That puts less stress on the achilles. Pick something at least 8mm. Simply walking around in zero drop shoes used to irritate my achilles.

How many times a day do I do the bath? Do I do it right when I wake up or timing doesn't matter?
  • _Waffle_
    edited March 2015
    Options

ETA:

How many times a day do I do the bath? Do I do it right when I wake up or timing doesn't matter?

I just did it once a day, before I went to bed.Twice a day isn't a bad idea if yours is in bad shape. I don't know that timing matters but I was typically sitting in front of television or at least relaxing in the evening so I always do it then. I still do it occasionally if I had a hard workout that day just to be preventative.

The insertional heals more slowly since the blood flow is minimal there. Heating and cooling the heel area forces blood in and out. I got that this was the reason it works and it does work for me at least. It mentions this as PT in the article Johnny linked to but I underestimated the importance until I talked to a sports injury specalist. I'm doing my second marathon since I started doing these next weekend. I've even started doing long runs with hills in them on purpose. It's holding up well. Just don't ask about this shin. :laugh:

Good luck and don't discount the heel drops. Those are good to add in as well.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    I find my stamina fine, its my legs, they seem heavy when I run, I assume this is something that gets stronger in time. Is there any particular weight training I can do to help speed this part up.

Run more. :smile:

This and I would also add any strength work for your legs will help too - squats, lunges, etc... will make your glutes stronger as well as your hamstrings and of course calf raises for your lower legs.
    I would use caution about how much and when you do them - you don't want to be super sore from strength work the day you have a run planned.

As others have mentioned strengthening your core (abs and glutes) is nothing but goodness when it comes to running as they help support everything and keep your body in proper form. Engaging your glutes and abs when you are running strengthens your hips, one of the primary areas of weakness in runners and a leading cause of leg/knee injuries.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    heronh wrote: »
    I have a question.. I've been running for about a year now and doing other workouts.
    My endurance has improved but my time just doesn't seem to be improving.
    Cardiovascularly speaking, I'm still very weak. I blame that on me smoking from age 13-30. Yes I started young sigh.
    My heartrate is high when I'm just trying to maintain pace (175bpm and climbing) I have to slow down a lot to get my heartrate down.
    Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

I realize this is a question for the OP however just throwing in my 2 cents from my years of an elite athlete (what seems li a lifetime ago). To increase your speed, look up drills that with emphasis on explosive starts, like those that a sprinter would be practicing. For example wind sprints, having a partner hold your shirt while you run in place as hard as you an and then they let go, etc. also agility drills such as the ladder on the ground. Hope this is helpful for you!
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    P.s, you also may want someone to check your running form. If your arms are swaying instead of going straight "cheek to cheek" that could be slowing you down too.
  • mishathompson
    mishathompson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I need knowledge on how to use gels to train for a marathon. I signed up for one in September and am up to a long run of 8miles but since I will be using gels on race day I want to get used to them this summer during my long runs. I just have no idea when I should consume
    them in a run or how often ??? Advice PLEASE
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I need knowledge on how to use gels to train for a marathon. I signed up for one in September and am up to a long run of 8miles but since I will be using gels on race day I want to get used to them this summer during my long runs. I just have no idea when I should consume

I generally take one ever 6 miles or 45 minutes - I might take one a bit early if I feel a dip in energy, but on race day, even if I feel like I don't need it yet, I won't take on late.

As far as for in training, try out a few different kinds, in some different flavors. What tastes great at mile 6 might taste like liquid barf at mile 23. I myself cannot handle the chocolate/caramel/coffee varieties, I can only do citrus. I also hate the thicker gels, I like the ones that are more liquidy, like Hammer or Powergel. Others prefer the ones you have to chew on a bit, like Clif or Gu. I would try one out on something like a 10 or 12 mile run - not so far that if it screws with your system, you can't make it through. It really is just trial and error from that point out. Always drink water after taking one, it helps with digestion.

I will add that once I found a gel I liked that didn't upset my stomach, I stopped training with them. I wanted it to be a boost on raceday, not a crutch. Its up to you whether or not you decide to do this.
  • sculptcha
    sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for this great information!

i'm on the heavier side (currently 200), and i've been trying to incorporate running into my walks, but i def tried to do too much too soon. the last few times i went out, i really had to reign myself in and slow down. i also got fitted for shoes to help with over-pronation, but after my walk/run yesterday (first day with the new shoes), i have an aching pain, just below the knee, on the inside of my tibia. (it's both legs, but the left is much worse, prob due to calcium deposits from when i fractured my leg as a toddler.) i assume these are the dreaded shin splints?

i guess my question is, would it be best to wait to start running until i've shed some more weight? has anyone 200+ been successful at running regularly without any injuries?

there is a soft track at the high school a block from my house, but it's currently under construction. it looks like they will be done soon, so i hope a softer surface will help. i have been running on concrete/asphalt.

i really don't want to give it up. i used to hate running so much, but now that i've gotten a little more into it, I LOVE IT. plus, i have these really great running shoes now...buuuut i don't want to over do it. these shin splints or arthritis or whatever it is has got me a little scared.

TL;DR: i am fat and i think i gave myself shin splints. should i take a break from running until i'm not so fat?
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    sculptcha wrote: »
    thanks so much for this great information!

i'm on the heavier side (currently 200), and i've been trying to incorporate running into my walks, but i def tried to do too much too soon. the last few times i went out, i really had to reign myself in and slow down. i also got fitted for shoes to help with over-pronation, but after my walk/run yesterday (first day with the new shoes), i have an aching pain, just below the knee, on the inside of my tibia. (it's both legs, but the left is much worse, prob due to calcium deposits from when i fractured my leg as a toddler.) i assume these are the dreaded shin splints?

i guess my question is, would it be best to wait to start running until i've shed some more weight? has anyone 200+ been successful at running regularly without any injuries?

there is a soft track at the high school a block from my house, but it's currently under construction. it looks like they will be done soon, so i hope a softer surface will help. i have been running on concrete/asphalt.

i really don't want to give it up. i used to hate running so much, but now that i've gotten a little more into it, I LOVE IT. plus, i have these really great running shoes now...buuuut i don't want to over do it. these shin splints or arthritis or whatever it is has got me a little scared.

TL;DR: i am fat and i think i gave myself shin splints. should i take a break from running until i'm not so fat?

I started running over 200, and I'm still over 200 and running. I can't say it's been injury free - but that has been my fault of doing too much too soon due to lack of patience. When I stick to the plan I'm mostly alright.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I like Honey Stinger chews because of minimal processed ingredients and they don't upset my stomach. They are also fairly east to take without water if you need too, unlike GUs and some liquid formulas.

Like ThickMcRunFast said, fueling plans vary widely. Since I take the chews, I usually take 2-3 chews every 30 minutes, but only on runs 1 1/2 hours+ (not entirely because I need them, but partially because it's an "activity" which can be useful on a long run). Since you're getting up to eight miles, that's long enough to at least start experimenting to you know what does and doesn't work for your stomach.

For example, I learned on a 9-mile run that Gatorade causes me to cramp up... Who knew? (And way better to learn in a casual setting than on race day.)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

It's definitely going to take experimentation to figure out what works for you.

My longest race distance has been half-marathons (though I have a 25km race coming up). While I don't really need the energy, I've learned I need something on my stomach starting at 4-5 miles if I'm running long to prevent stomach problems once I get over ten miles.

So, for a half-marathon, I'll eat a few Honey Stinger chews (half a packet works for me) between miles 4-5 (45-60 minutes into a run). I take them with water. Some more again 45 minutes later, if needed.
  • _Waffle_
    Options

I generally take one ever 6 miles or 45 minutes - I might take one a bit early if I feel a dip in energy, but on race day, even if I feel like I don't need it yet, I won't take on late.

As far as for in training, try out a few different kinds, in some different flavors. What tastes great at mile 6 might taste like liquid barf at mile 23. I myself cannot handle the chocolate/caramel/coffee varieties, I can only do citrus. I also hate the thicker gels, I like the ones that are more liquidy, like Hammer or Powergel. Others prefer the ones you have to chew on a bit, like Clif or Gu. I would try one out on something like a 10 or 12 mile run - not so far that if it screws with your system, you can't make it through. It really is just trial and error from that point out. Always drink water after taking one, it helps with digestion.

I will add that once I found a gel I liked that didn't upset my stomach, I stopped training with them. I wanted it to be a boost on raceday, not a crutch. Its up to you whether or not you decide to do this.

Those are THE BEST flavors. The Cliff Double Shot (with 100mg of caffeine), the mocha, and the GU salted caramel are my all time favorites. Wait, I mean those are the worst flavors. Save them for me.