what is a food you have cut from your diet with some success?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I cut out ice cream and gained weight...

I recently put it back in.. so far so good..
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I really can't understand why you have an issue with saying "cut out" or "eliminated" in this situation. It is effectively the same thing as "don't eat" which you used in your tuna example.

It's not at all the same thing. "Cut out" means "did eat but stopped" or "would eat if I didn't have a personal rule against it." I don't eat fast food (as I define it anyway) except maybe once a year on a car trip. But it would be a lie for me to say I've cut it out, since it's been years since I ate it any more regularly and it was just a result of my preferences, not some personal rule I created.

At this point, it has nothing to do with emotional reaction to a word--saying you cut out something you never ate or never think to eat just makes no sense.

Just because you didn't cut something out doesn't mean you eat it (in moderation or otherwise). I don't eat fast food in moderation--I don't really eat it. But that doesn't mean I cut it out. I'm a pretty adventurous eater and I like to try new things, but in reality I don't eat the vast majority of foods in the world. Clearly no one thinks I "cut out" all the foods I don't eat. When you say you cut something out, you mean more--that you otherwise would eat it. (For example, I cut out coffee and meats other than fish for Lent. I cut out added sugar in January. I have not cut out cold cereal, I just never eat it because I do not like it.)

Just read most of the other posts--people are talking about foods they ate until quite recently in most cases or else foods they think they would overeat if they didn't have a personal rule against eating them.

It might not make sense to you, but it makes perfect sense to me. Nobody I know, other than on this site, have ever taken issue with the phrase "cut out".

Anyone who sees me that hasn't since before I lost weight, or who saw me earlier in the process, will ask me about the diet...I explain the same things I've explained on this site and not one person has ever said "you shouldn't call it cut out....you should say you very rarely eat it because it doesn't fit your goals/there are better choices/it isn't healthy/it sets off cravings and binges, etc. but you reserve the right to eat it if you really want it but in reality that is extremely rare, like maybe once every few months."

Everything I have cut out I used to eat often...far too often, in fact. Not eating it isn't a "personal rule", it's just a "personal decision" I have made because I believe not eating it is in the best interest of my long term health. "Cut out" is the perfect description to me. If you prefer to say you "don't eat" something that is fine with me. Whatever floats your boat.

The point remains: You're playing word games. Cut out is simple, clear language that implies to most people with rational minds that you NEVER eat something.

The fact of the matter is that you still do eat those things, just very, very rarely.

There's no need to say you eat in moderation if you don't want to, but it's just plain dishonest to make the claim that you've cut them out when you haven't.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    I didn't really cut anything. I guess the closest is I stopped ordering soda when I eat out. I still have soda for game nights, but I don't drink it any other time. I've switched to unsweet tea with equal. I like the taste, it's very hydrating, and since I had to drop my caffeine intake per my doctor, I brew decaffeinated at home.

I also stopped having snacks in the house itself for the most part. If I want to snack, I make myself some popcorn. But I don't keep chips or cookies or anything like that in the house because I know I will mindlessly munch, and neither my nor my hubby needs them.
  • HOOVEY17
    HOOVEY17 Posts: 59 Member
    diet coke and beer....I haven't cut them out, I just haven't had them in a month. I'm sure i'll have them again, I just haven't craved them enough yet!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    I cut sneaking in that second helping of Pop Tarts after lunch and eating the entire pint of ice cream after my thousand 1,000+ calorie meal from whatever restaurant I ate at earlier.

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    I really can't understand why you have an issue with saying "cut out" or "eliminated" in this situation. It is effectively the same thing as "don't eat" which you used in your tuna example.

It's not at all the same thing. "Cut out" means "did eat but stopped" or "would eat if I didn't have a personal rule against it." I don't eat fast food (as I define it anyway) except maybe once a year on a car trip. But it would be a lie for me to say I've cut it out, since it's been years since I ate it any more regularly and it was just a result of my preferences, not some personal rule I created.

At this point, it has nothing to do with emotional reaction to a word--saying you cut out something you never ate or never think to eat just makes no sense.

Just because you didn't cut something out doesn't mean you eat it (in moderation or otherwise). I don't eat fast food in moderation--I don't really eat it. But that doesn't mean I cut it out. I'm a pretty adventurous eater and I like to try new things, but in reality I don't eat the vast majority of foods in the world. Clearly no one thinks I "cut out" all the foods I don't eat. When you say you cut something out, you mean more--that you otherwise would eat it. (For example, I cut out coffee and meats other than fish for Lent. I cut out added sugar in January. I have not cut out cold cereal, I just never eat it because I do not like it.)

Just read most of the other posts--people are talking about foods they ate until quite recently in most cases or else foods they think they would overeat if they didn't have a personal rule against eating them.

It might not make sense to you, but it makes perfect sense to me. Nobody I know, other than on this site, have ever taken issue with the phrase "cut out".

Anyone who sees me that hasn't since before I lost weight, or who saw me earlier in the process, will ask me about the diet...I explain the same things I've explained on this site and not one person has ever said "you shouldn't call it cut out....you should say you very rarely eat it because it doesn't fit your goals/there are better choices/it isn't healthy/it sets off cravings and binges, etc. but you reserve the right to eat it if you really want it but in reality that is extremely rare, like maybe once every few months."

Everything I have cut out I used to eat often...far too often, in fact. Not eating it isn't a "personal rule", it's just a "personal decision" I have made because I believe not eating it is in the best interest of my long term health. "Cut out" is the perfect description to me. If you prefer to say you "don't eat" something that is fine with me. Whatever floats your boat.
    MoiAussi93, Yes to everything you've posted in this thread. You've expressed everything I feel (and don't feel) perfectly. And my same bewilderment that something that's perfectly normal and reasonable in my day to day life is something contentious here.

Thanks for your posts; they were an absolute pleasure to read. :)
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member

The point remains: You're playing word games. Cut out is simple, clear language that implies to most people with rational minds that you NEVER eat something.

The fact of the matter is that you still do eat those things, just very, very rarely.

There's no need to say you eat in moderation if you don't want to, but it's just plain dishonest to make the claim that you've cut them out when you haven't.
    Not word games at all. I am being very honest. To anybody looking for insight or advice, I perfectly describe how I eat 99% of the time. And your habits, and what you do the majority of the time, determine results...not what you do once every few month.

To me, the people playing word games are the ones who say they eat sweets or "junk food"...however they define that...in moderation and then, when probed, admit they only have it every month or two. So in effect, they do exactly what I do!!!! Any rational person will tell you that moderation implies some kind of regular basis.

Just like a person who exercises five times a year is being dishonest if he claims he exercises in moderation, a person who eats sweets five times a year is being dishonest if they claim to eat sweets in moderation.

To make it even worse, they run around telling people who are obviously struggling and looking for advice that they don't need to stop eating anything they like. They are losing and still eat all the stuff they used to...as long as it fits their calories. They usually neglect to mention that that only happens once or twice a quarter. LOL!!!

• tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    edited March 2015
    tl;dr

I actually ADDED stuff to my diet and haven't cut anything out! I've added more cheese, donuts, diet soda, wine, cupcakes, cookies, bread, avocado and pasta. I think I was avoiding things I like because I wasn't sure on the calories and how much over on calories it would put me, but now that I'm tracking I know how to fit these things in moderation to my normal diet and I still lose on a weekly basis.
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    edited March 2015
    I cut out cheese, condiments, and pasta.
  • 13Elimin8
    13Elimin8 Posts: 10 Member
    Soda/sugary drinks.
  • I bought some flavored, gourmet vinegars and use them on their own instead of a salad dressing. They are delicious and not too vinegar-y tasting and cut down on HUNDREDS of oily calories per day.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member

MoiAussi93, Yes to everything you've posted in this thread. You've expressed everything I feel (and don't feel) perfectly. And my same bewilderment that something that's perfectly normal and reasonable in my day to day life is something contentious here.

Agreed!!!

I have cut out added sugars, pasta, rice, potatoes, bread and dairy.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Yup, this.

It's also just weird that people seem to think that cutting out a huge list of foods is some kind of sign of virtue. To me it suggests that they are putting an awful lot of focus on what they can't eat (including so often perfectly nutritious foods like potatoes) and not enough on simply eating well.

I didn't get fat because I ate pasta or potatoes or ribs or ice cream (and I certainly didn't get fat from eating fast food or storebought candy, since I never did). I got fat because I ate those foods in overly large quantities. If there's one main culprit in my weight gain besides inactivity, it was being overly indulgent at restaurants and doing Indian take out too often instead of cooking for myself. I'd be sad if I had to give up restaurants (including Indian restaurants), so luckily you can get the same effect just by exercising some restraint. But I get the feeling from some of the posts that I'd be somehow more virtuous if I were smugly asserting that I "cut out" Indian food," since I probably only go out for Indian once every couple of months. Weird.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited March 2015

Yup, this.

It's also just weird that people seem to think that cutting out a huge list of foods is some kind of sign of virtue. To me it suggests that they are putting an awful lot of focus on what they can't eat (including so often perfectly nutritious foods like potatoes) and not enough on simply eating well.

I didn't get fat because I ate pasta or potatoes or ribs or ice cream (and I certainly didn't get fat from eating fast food or storebought candy, since I never did). I got fat because I ate those foods in overly large quantities. If there's one main culprit in my weight gain besides inactivity, it was being overly indulgent at restaurants and doing Indian take out too often instead of cooking for myself. I'd be sad if I had to give up restaurants (including Indian restaurants), so luckily you can get the same effect just by exercising some restraint. But I get the feeling from some of the posts that I'd be somehow more virtuous if I were smugly asserting that I "cut out" Indian food," since I probably only go out for Indian once every couple of months. Weird.

Your posts come across the same "smugly asserting" way; just the opposite side of the same coin. Your way is the right way and everyone else is "weird", "silly", "illogical" or any of the other little digs that pepper your posts. Since you put so much stock into words and their meaning I'm sure you realize this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is nothing wrong with an approach (or word choice!) -- no matter how silly or incomprehensible you deem it to be -- when the result is a reasonably nutritious diet and better health.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member

+1
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

Yup, this.

Your posts come across the same "smugly asserting" way; just the opposite side of the same coin. Your way is the right way and everyone else is "weird", "silly", "illogical" or any of the other little digs that pepper your posts. Since you put so much stock into words and their meaning I'm sure you realize this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is nothing wrong with an approach (or word choice!) -- no matter how silly or incomprehensible you deem it to be -- when the result is a reasonably nutritious diet and better health.

So much this.
  • Rice, used to binge on that stuff and crave it bad. Banned it from the house and even when family bring some I don't want any.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    edited March 2015

Yup, this.

This is from one of MoiAussi's posts-

"There is also no fear, or judgment of somebody else's diet, or feeling of being virtuous...at least for me. This is not an emotional description at all to me...purely practical and descriptive.

It just seems weird to me to be this focused on how somebody chooses to describe their way of eating. I think the mistake is to assume everybody else might have whatever emotional reaction to a word or phrase that you do."

I don't know why you keep seeing judgement in someone saying what they eat. I haven't cut out anything myself, but it doesn't bother me at all if someone has, nor do I take it personally when someone thinks anything about anything I eat. It's not a question of morality.
  • YokiLenko
    YokiLenko Posts: 89 Member
    I've stopped eating chips.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    wathjo1 wrote: »
    How about things you have ADDED to your diet?? I think that would be interesting.

Cauliflower! Miracle food I swear.