The Truth About Calories.

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Actually, the truth about calories is what has kept me from ELIMINATING those listed foods from my diet.

Lacking knowledge about calories is what prompted me to remove those from my diet 5 years ago.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    @vitaminski Everyone on these forums are hangry. Don't take it personal. Unless you go to one of the fun threads you will be attacked and belittled. Even if you are honestly trying to help.

I have been sucked into their negativity a few times and have been snarky myself. I admit it. I am working on staying out of those discussions.

Congrats on the weight loss and I'm sure you look amazing in your costume. <3

Actually the "everyone" you are referring to in this type of thread tends to be the people with higher calorie goals (because they don't aim for 2lb/week) practicing moderation.... unless I haven't eaten in like 10 hours, no hangry here.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    @vitaminski Everyone on these forums are hangry. Don't take it personal. Unless you go to one of the fun threads you will be attacked and belittled. Even if you are honestly trying to help.

I have been sucked into their negativity a few times and have been snarky myself. I admit it. I am working on staying out of those discussions.

Yeah, they should probably eat some cheesecake, chips, or chocolate. Oh, wait. . .
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    It's science lite. A mixture of interesting facts and utter nonsense.

Chips, cheese, and cheesecake are all fine in moderation. It's not the food that is the problem, it's the amounts they're eaten in.

this…

hit your calorie/macro/micro targets and fill in with what you want….
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

The only post in this thread matching your description is your own post. You just labeled everyone disagreeing with the OP as "hangry" although they are the ones pointing out the intellectual flaws in the documentary ... flaws which the OP conceded.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    How many of you watched the documentary?
    What are your objections to it?

I don't need to watch it..

the truth about calories is the following:

from an energy perspective all calories are equal
    from a nutritional perspective they are not all the same
    claorie deficit = weight loss
    caloriie defict + macro/micro adherence = body composition

there are no naughty, bad, evil, etc foods; eat the foods you like and make sure you hit your targets

the end

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I just finished a bowl of citrus marinated soba noodles and some vegetable juice and reread the post.

Nope. Still doesn't make sense to never eat chocolate again.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I just devoured two Taco Bell AM Crunchwraps with a Starbucks flat white on the side ... yet, I'll still maintain.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I love these sorts of programs, vitaminski. They're always equal parts interesting, entertaining and motivational like you said. Thanks for sharing. :)
  • vandasreject
    vandasreject Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I watched the show. The presenter was actually looking at things from the perspective of wanting to keep eating the things he likes.
    I found it quite interesting, personally.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I watched the show. The presenter was actually looking at things from the perspective of wanting to keep eating the things he likes.
    So the presenter doesn't like chips, chocolate, or cheesecake?

I don't get it.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    OP is saying they will never again eat a single bite of cheesecake, not one chip will ever go into their mouth, and will never again experience the taste Of chocolate. Because "a documentary" told her she has to stay away from those things.

Good for them. Me? Imma have a Cadbury egg later.

How are they now? I read that they changed the formula so I haven't tried any this year. Which is probably a good thing, the caramel ones are my kryptonite.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    OP is saying they will never again eat a single bite of cheesecake, not one chip will ever go into their mouth, and will never again experience the taste Of chocolate. Because "a documentary" told her she has to stay away from those things.

Good for them. Me? Imma have a Cadbury egg later.

How are they now? I read that they changed the formula so I haven't tried any this year. Which is probably a good thing, the caramel ones are my kryptonite.

Am wondering this too. Was going to pick some up at Shoprite today.
  • vandasreject
    vandasreject Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

I don't get it.

Hi. No, he wanted to keep things like chips, chocolate etc in his diet.
    He also looked at how calories are burned more quickly in different people.

• Alluminati
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

I don't get it.

Hi. No, he wanted to keep things like chips, chocolate etc in his diet.
    He also looked at how calories are burned more quickly in different people.

I see. That's not the impression I got from the OP.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    If someone set fire to my Dorrito's and Sugar puffs I would kick off ;) . I think the documentary was the second in the series "The truth about Sugar" was interesting last week, which you can probably search for on BBC1 if you did not see it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I just devoured two Taco Bell AM Crunchwraps with a Starbucks flat white on the side ... yet, I'll still maintain.

but, you are hangry, right?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    vitaminski wrote: »
    I've recently lost 1/2 a stone and have been working out as I played Carnival in February this year. Now I no longer have the threat of a teeny, tiny carnival costume hanging over my head, I've been eating all the naughty stuff. The difficulty for me lies in keeping motivated when you have reached your goal and I've slipped a bit, but am ready to jump back on the wagon!!!

Just wanted to share this great documentary I recently watched on bbciplayer as it has me motivated again. It's called "The Truth About Calories" and you can find it on bbciplayer. Hope it helps to keep you away from the chips, chocolate and cheesecake!!!!!

:)

Oh, dear. People aren't really being snarky with you. You said you lost weight to fit into your costume, and then when you didn't need to fit into it any more you gain some weight back. Now you watched this documentary and it's motivated you to stay away from all the treats, or "naughty stuff" as you called it.
    Here's the problem. Eating in moderation will hep you maintain the weight at the level you need, to keep fitting into that little costume and still enjoy the treats. You can eat all the foods you love and meet your calorie goals. A documentary that tells you to avoid all the "naughty stuff" isn't giving you all the facts. That's not snarky, that's truth. All of it.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I thought the bit about the Ready Meals etc being 10% or so off in their calories was quite interesting but it all levelled out over time. The documentary did drift off the main point a few times though and would probably further confuse the casual watcher that calories are somehow a black art.
  • vitaminski
    Options
    Oh dear what have I done? I was just referring to myself when it came to the chips, chocolate and cheesecake as I love them all and need a bit of motivation to eat less and found the programme motivational. As I said if you don't find this helpful to you am sure there is something out there that is. To each their own. :D