The Truth About Calories.

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    vitaminski wrote: »
    I've recently lost 1/2 a stone and have been working out as I played Carnival in February this year. Now I no longer have the threat of a teeny, tiny carnival costume hanging over my head, I've been eating all the naughty stuff. The difficulty for me lies in keeping motivated when you have reached your goal and I've slipped a bit, but am ready to jump back on the wagon!!!

Just wanted to share this great documentary I recently watched on bbciplayer as it has me motivated again. It's called "The Truth About Calories" and you can find it on bbciplayer. Hope it helps to keep you away from the chips, chocolate and cheesecake!!!!!

:)

Why in the world would I want to do that...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Oh dear what have I done? I was just referring to myself when it came to the chips, chocolate and cheesecake as I love them all and need a bit of motivation to eat less and found the programme motivational. As I said if you don't find this helpful to you am sure there is something out there that is. To each their own. :D

this is the last sentence of your OP:

"...Hope it helps to keep you away from the chips, chocolate and cheesecake!!!!!"

not sure how are just referring to yourself when you specifically said that you hope it helps keep people away from the chips, chocolate, and cheesecake…

If it was really about you then there should be an "I" in there instead of "you"…

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh dear what have I done? I was just referring to myself when it came to the chips, chocolate and cheesecake as I love them all and need a bit of motivation to eat less and found the programme motivational. As I said if you don't find this helpful to you am sure there is something out there that is. To each their own. :D
    That wasn't clarified in your OP, just saying. Not sure why you're flounce-mode when questions are being asked about it. I mean, you only wanted to help, right?

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal, darlin'. You posted in a very public forum on the world wide interwebz. You have opened yourself up to hear the opinion of every person who reads your post. You might not like what everyone has to say about your original post, but that's what public forums are all about. No one has attacked you personally or said anything mean, they've just expressed their own opinion about what you said and shared. No matter what you say about it, they are all going to continue to express their opinions. That's how this works.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    My main issues were the continual reference to 2000 Kcal as a person's requirements, as this is merely an average, and a bad one at that, plus the fudging of activity levels. Clearly cleaning a house for four hours burns more than aerobic exercise for one. I'd wager most people don't spend four hours every day cleaning the house though.

It was way too simplistic to be of any use.

I want to know how these people cleaned. Most people flick a dust rag around a push a vaccum, wipe down the surfaces in the bathroom, then swish the toilet bowls clean.

This is not a great effort, unless maybe you're moving heavy furniture vacuuming, and even then, it's not a sustained thing like aerobics.

I can see bored housewives everywhere, flicking feather dusters "feeling the burn".

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Hope it helps to keep you away from the chips, chocolate and cheesecake!!!!!"

That's just one of those (stupid, but harmless) things that people say to other people who are dieting because they think it's encouraging.

The OP said that they found the documentary motivational, recommended it to be helpful and then tried to give some "nice" words of encouragement at the end.
    Their hearts in the right place. :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    It's science lite. A mixture of interesting facts and utter nonsense.

Chips, cheese, and cheesecake are all fine in moderation. It's not the food that is the problem, it's the amounts they're eaten in.

The 3 C's. / \ / \ thread

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    It's science lite. A mixture of interesting facts and utter nonsense.

Chips, cheese, and cheesecake are all fine in moderation. It's not the food that is the problem, it's the amounts they're eaten in.

The 3 C's. / \ / \ thread

U wish. It never ends :sob:
  • mccindy72
    Options
    My main issues were the continual reference to 2000 Kcal as a person's requirements, as this is merely an average, and a bad one at that, plus the fudging of activity levels. Clearly cleaning a house for four hours burns more than aerobic exercise for one. I'd wager most people don't spend four hours every day cleaning the house though.

I want to know how these people cleaned. Most people flick a dust rag around a push a vaccum, wipe down the surfaces in the bathroom, then swish the toilet bowls clean.

This is not a great effort, unless maybe you're moving heavy furniture vacuuming, and even then, it's not a sustained thing like aerobics.

I can see bored housewives everywhere, flicking feather dusters "feeling the burn".

I'd hate to see what those houses looks like. Not saying I claim to burn a ton of calories when I clean the house, but I do a hell of a lot more than flick a feather duster around and wipe a few surfaces down.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

It was reasonably solid housework involving vacuuming, etc. All the calorie burn calculations were made through HRMs, which creates its own issue.

Real science has nothing to do with shows like this ... the inherent inaccuracies of HRMs don't matter, only the results built upon fallacies do.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    OP is saying they will never again eat a single bite of cheesecake, not one chip will ever go into their mouth, and will never again experience the taste Of chocolate. Because "a documentary" told her she has to stay away from those things.

Good for them. Me? Imma have a Cadbury egg later.

How are they now? I read that they changed the formula so I haven't tried any this year. Which is probably a good thing, the caramel ones are my kryptonite.

They're still decent. Not as OMG I GOTTA EAT THEM ALL NAO as I recall, but I will not be throwing them away. I'm truly thinking about mixing one into some of my plain Greek. Add some sin to my sensible. :)
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Domestic Chores such as housework and gardening are bloody hard work. That's why I employ Staff to tend to the various wings of my estate ;)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Everyone is different, but when I clean, I CLEAN. Feather duster my Aunt Tilly. Yes, moving the heavy furniture around, of course (how else do you get the dirt from underneath?), lugging heavy filled outdoor garbage cans to the curb, climbing up to and ducking underneath whatever needs either, getting to my knees to hand-scrub the corners that no mop I've ever met can actually get to, you know...housework.

I actually don't know a single housewife who just flicks a feather duster. If so, their homes would be absolute messes. Well, dust-free absolute messes. Homes don't clean and arrange themselves. I'm glad I don't know the housewives you know - or I'm glad I don't have to visit their homes, anyway.

And no, I don't count it as exercise, unless there has been heavy lifting and sweat throughout the process - like when I clean out the garage.
  • vandasreject
    vandasreject Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Why is it always ''bored'' housewives? I'm a housewife- definitely not bored! :smiley:
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I let things get gross before I clean. Make me sweaty. Woo. Laziness ftw!
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    Why is it always ''bored'' housewives? I'm a housewife- definitely not bored! :smiley:

I know.

Such an antiquated 1960s term.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I know.

And why the housewife doing the housework? My hubs does some of it. My sons do a large share of theirs, too, in their homes.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I know.

And why the housewife doing the housework? My hubs does some of it. My sons do a large share of theirs, too, in their homes.

Well, in my case, it's because my husband commutes and gets home at 8:30, but where did you see that the housewives do ALL the housework? My kids definitely contribute, but I don't expect my eight-year-old to move the sectional.