p90x Support Group

Options

Replies

• Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Jill, the calf still feels knotted but I think it will just work itself out. Tomorrow is legs and back so hopefully I won't pro-long the issue. I think it's just my body reacting to the intensity of the program that I'm not used to. Thank you for asking and for your encouragement. Where are you at in your program? Are you doing a hybrid?

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE: Which is your favorite workout of the series and why?
    I hope your calf loosens up soon. That's no fun.

I'm doing an abbreviated/modified Lean version. I'm basically doing Phase 1 but extending it a week so that my fifth week is a recovery week. I do X Stretch instead of Yoga X during the four main weeks, and I take a rest day Sunday, but I'll do Yoga X twice during the recovery week, still taking a rest day Sunday. I figure working out six days a week is plenty. Then I'll do five weeks of a hybrid of Slim Series/Slim In 6/Yoga Booty Ballet. Then I'll do five weeks of P90X again, and so on, until I feel like I need to mix things up even more.

My favorite workout is Kenpo X. It's fun and easy to do, but I feel like I get a good workout even though it's enjoyable. It just feels rejuvenating for some reason. And today is Kenpo X day. Hooray!

Hey Jill :)
    Your program / routine sounds good. I hardly ever year of anyone doing the YBB series around here. I like it. It's a nice change of pace sometimes. I haven't tried Slim in 6. I'm guessing it's also a good change of pace from P90x?

I keep hearing good things about Kenpo. Looking forward to it. I'm a little scared about Legs and back today, probably b/c of the sheer amount of squats done this week and that's without focusing on legs!!! :noway: I don't know why I'm complaining... my legs feel strong b/c of it. I'm just hoping I have it in me to dig deep and finish the whole workout. I'll post back. :)

Vickie - that's awesome that you can do the pull-ups!!! I repeat, very very awesome! Is this a repeat for you or your first time through the series? I can only dream of pull ups at this point.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Day 5 Legs and Back done. That wasn't as scary of a workout as I had imagined. Well, the one legged wall squats were a little scary. :noway: Kenpo X tomorrow! :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    Hey Jill :)
    Your program / routine sounds good. I hardly ever year of anyone doing the YBB series around here. I like it. It's a nice change of pace sometimes. I haven't tried Slim in 6. I'm guessing it's also a good change of pace from P90x?

I keep hearing good things about Kenpo. Looking forward to it. I'm a little scared about Legs and back today, probably b/c of the sheer amount of squats done this week and that's without focusing on legs!!! :noway: I don't know why I'm complaining... my legs feel strong b/c of it. I'm just hoping I have it in me to dig deep and finish the whole workout. I'll post back. :)

Vickie - that's awesome that you can do the pull-ups!!! I repeat, very very awesome! Is this a repeat for you or your first time through the series? I can only dream of pull ups at this point.
    I actually gave away my YBB series, but I bought the single YBB Pure & Simple Yoga. It has the yoga without the dance. I have two left feet, so anything more complicated than Slim In 6, you can forget about! :tongue: I absolutely detested Turbo Jam because I'm too spastic to do it, but I know many, many people love it.
  • PJilly
    Options
    Day 5 Legs and Back done. That wasn't as scary of a workout as I had imagined. Well, the one legged wall squats were a little scary. :noway: Kenpo X tomorrow! :)
    Kenpo X is fun! I think it's the easiest of all the workouts, but your mileage may vary...
  • ProudUSMCWife
    Options
    I have been fighting a massive headache today and haven't done my Kenpo yet. :( I am debating of trying it to see if I can get through it with this headache or just using today as my rest day and doing day 6 tomorrow. I really want to do it but it hurts to stand up and sit down without the head feeling like it is going to explode.....who knows.
  • PJilly
    Options
    I have been fighting a massive headache today and haven't done my Kenpo yet. :( I am debating of trying it to see if I can get through it with this headache or just using today as my rest day and doing day 6 tomorrow. I really want to do it but it hurts to stand up and sit down without the head feeling like it is going to explode.....who knows.
    Poor thing. If I were you, I'd swap rest and Kenpo X days. I hope you feel better soon.
  • ProudUSMCWife
    Options
    Well I did it. My head killed me through the warm-up, but once I got going the pain slowly went away. I still have the headache, but it isn't pulsating through my head.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Well I did it. My head killed me through the warm-up, but once I got going the pain slowly went away. I still have the headache, but it isn't pulsating through my head.

What a super trooper! :) Glad the headache dialed down a bit, glad you got the workout in. Way to go!
  • frogmanjared
    Options
    The soreness was mostly in the first week for me, and then again in the fifth week when you start a new phase, but not nearly as bad as the very first week. I hope your soreness eases soon!

Let us know what you thought of Yoga X.

What kind of restaurant do you work in? Rolling out bread... Yummy.

I'm going to be taking day 5 off, then starting the 6day/week since I couldn't wait to start on Monday. I need today to rest for my 6 day workweek, and I have to be able to move for softball tomorrow night! It probably doesn't help that today is my first day off in 13 days either. I actually enjoyed Yoga X. It was very tough, but I made it all the way through. I still consider myself a beginner, so some of the poses were tough to hold, but hopefully I'll get better.

I work in an italian restaurant as a prep cook, so I make all the bread, pizza dough, sauces, etc. Moving an 80lb batch of dough feeling this sore is tough!
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Day 1 today (I hope, since it is a busy day.)

Let's see how sore I get after my week's rest!

Can't wait to do my first AB Ripper in over a week (Haha).

I only did a total of maybe 5 miles of treadmill work in between as far as any exercise is concerned.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Started up Week 5 today with Chest, Shoulders & Triceps...pretty humbling to say the least. :laugh: Those one-handed pushups were no joke! I was pretty happy to get back into lifting and Ab Ripper X. So, yay for that.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Those of you who are farther along give me hope. :)

I just finished KenpoX and week 1 is done. I am sore everywhere but my abs (I couldn't do Ab Ripper X this week - waiting on an injury to heal). I saw Jill's comment that the first work is usually the worst with the soreness. I hope that's true for me. Rest day tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to it. :)
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I started my second week today! So I am starting with Chest & Shoulders even though I just did it on Friday. (long story) My back is fine. No problem at all and I was SHOCKED! But I didn't push the weights. I lifted only 8 pounds and just did 15 reps. I want to up the weights and do less reps but first heal the upper right back! So I really inproved on my pushups and it was easier to get 15 done on most of them.

Love reading about what you all are doing and how your doing! I am however scared of the one handed push up just mentioned. LOL I won't be doing those! I want to be buff but not that bad! Girl power! :bigsmile:
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well, I survived the Day 1 workout. Took longer, like 2 hours, for reasons I couldn't totally control, but I fit it in.

It's a little motivationally difficult to get back into it this time around. It was a long hard road and I probably enjoyed my lightened workout schedule last week a little too much. After months of working out 6 days a week for almost 2 hours each day, it was nice to do just a few days of cardio in time periods of less than an hour. I continued to lose weight, which is good.

Did the Chest and Back, mostly picking up from where I left off in week 11. Some energy issues. I didn't lose anything in the (few) weights used for this workout. Some rep counts took a little step back but form was markedly better than I remember on so much of it that I can excuse myself.

Hardest part to deal with was my pullup counts -- they were reduced somewhat -- even the assisted. I blame the assisted pullup count reduction due to using a better, but more difficult, assist method. I think it is helping keep me more honest and I will temporarily pay the price.

AB Ripper was a little harder for not having done it in several weeks. I almost failed out of Fifer Scissors at about rep 18, but managed to do all reps again just barely being able to lift my legs part way after a surprisingly strong first 12 or so reps. Struggled on oblique V-ups, too. Was a bit slower on some of the other moves, and fell to only 45 Mason Twists.

All in all a far cry from my original Day 1 -- could have been better versus my week 11 but could have been way worse.

I am not going to be able to militantly follow 90 days schedule this time around (not that I did last time). I think this might be a P120X (or more) I am looking at. Too many other things I had to stop doing just to push out the last round. For example this week I will probably have a schedule like this:

Sunday: Chest & Back, ARX (completed)
    Monday: Plyo
    Tuesday: Shoulders & Arms, ARX
    Wednesday: Deferred
    Thursday: Deferred
    Friday: Deferred
    Saturday: Yoga X (yay!)
    Sunday: Legs & Back, ARX (and maybe a double somewhere during the weekend via adding Kenpo X)

...and so on. I may try to work in a Wii Fit change of pace or something on the "deferred" days.

In order to best help motivation I am going to have to be able to play the schedule more loosely. I may end up just pushing the button on Insanity or something just to rekindle the fires. I have no intention of stopping any progress, P90X has been that good to me -- but man o man it is tougher to get refocused than I thought!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Day 1 for me after work. I've done P90x off and on for a year or so now, but have never completed a full 90 days. It's time.
  • kelstahzz
    kelstahzz Posts: 6
    Options
    I've been doing p90x for a month now, but then I skipped an entire week, and made some pretty bad diet choices. I'm starting fresh today - 5/16/2011- and I swear to go all the way this time! Hopefully this site will be the extra boost of motivation I apparently need. :D
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    What is p90x, ive never heard of it?! I just googled it and found out, i seen it on Amazon its very expensive!
  • Bditbobcat
    Bditbobcat Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Those of you who are farther along give me hope. :)

I just finished KenpoX and week 1 is done. I am sore everywhere but my abs (I couldn't do Ab Ripper X this week - waiting on an injury to heal). I saw Jill's comment that the first work is usually the worst with the soreness. I hope that's true for me. Rest day tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to it. :)

You know the soreness did get better, but Chest and Back always gets me. I think it is because it is one of my favs so I push myself. Congrats on finishing up the first week! If you are still on board, I do believe you are doing better than most!

Haven't worked out today yet, I want to fit in Chest and Back, but not sure if I will be able. The grass needs cut, and us Ohioans haven't really been getting very many breaks in the rain to do it!!!
  • PJilly
    Options
    Just popping in real quick. I had to take my husband to the airport today, so that's left me with not so much time for posting, but I did get my Core Syn workout in before I took him. Yay! I'm way far behind on everything else, so I need to get moving. Hope you're all doing great!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Hey all.
    I needed to cut my grass as well, and we've been having steady rain. Looked at the weathernetwork and saw more rain was coming, so, I left that alone and got a workout in.
    Chest and back and ARx done.
    My first week was half azzed backwards, so I'm doing 4 weeks before my recovery.

It's a great pleasure to feel some of these things I'm feeling. My shoulders and arms are feeling pumped, tighter, more muscle mass. Also an increase of weights is going good.
    Legs are feeling stronger, which I can tell in squats and couch25k.
    Coming up to Day 30 and got 60 more days. wooooo hooooooooo