Weird Addiction Happening

Options

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I generally do not worry about sodium intake.
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Are you working out and sweating more than usual? Drinking a lot of water?

It seems like the powers that be aren't very trust worthy if something will kill you one day and is fine the next. I don't exercise much but I do drink a lot of water.

Dosage is the key. Too much water will kill ya: compoundchem.com/2014/07/27/lethaldoses/

I know all about that. When I first got sick 10 years ago, I was drinking so much water that my urine was clear and odorless. I didn't know I had diabetes at the time.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. There are worse things to indulge in than broth and oranges. Indulge to the extent it fits your calorie/macro goals - it'll pass soon enough on its own.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to get rid of the desire for this soup, how about trying to get the satisfaction of it along with better nutritional values. best of both worlds. There's lots of low sodium chicken broth out there. You can buy that instead, OR better yet you can make your own at home starting with the actual whole chicken, then use the chicken meat in recipes, skim off the excess fat and make the stock into soup! It will be much more nutritious than the thin stuff they sell at the store and it will contain the gelatin from the bones, which is good for you also. All you have to do is be moderate in adding the salt to your homemade chicken soup. Boil bits of carrot, celery, and onion in there, maybe even a bit of garlic, for most flavor.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    P.S. I'm borderline diabetic... I just saw that you are type 2. Make sure you eat a high protein food before you eat an orange. Keep that blood glucose stable.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Can you dumb that down a bit, please? Haha

Well, basically it's a learned response. We can be taught things quite well by reinforcement. In other words "rewards" or positive outcomes or "punishments" or negative outcomes teach us whether to maintain a particular behavior. You've established a positive outcome (yummy calories incoming) with satisfying a craving. Take away the reward - or substitute a different one - and after a while you might find yourself craving something different when your mind tries to get you to consume some nutrients.

So consuming all the soup and oranges while I was sick (which did relieve my flu symptoms) caused me to develop a reward response to it and develop an addiction?

No, you are not addicted to soup and oranges.
    But what if the oranges have added sugar?

Man, I hope not.
    A few weeks ago, I caught the flu. During that time I developed a weird craving for oranges and soup. It seemed understandable at the time; oranges for vitamin C and soup well... because soup. Only now we are over a month away from that time and I am still craving them like crazy. I don't mind craving the oranges because it's a fruit and it's healthy. However, the chicken bouillon I have been drinking is loaded with sodium. Like one the third of the recommended amount in a single serving. I am just waiting for the heart attack at this point because I am drinking several cups of it a day. Why am I craving bouillon and oranges like this? Has anyone else had a weird experience like this? Should I completely cut it out of my diet, ignore it and drink it when I want, or are there healthier substitutes?

What???

Because everyone says too much sodium is super bad and will appera thy kill you. I didn't mean that literally. I'm just saying I am getting an awful lot of sodium from this bouillon.

1/3 of a days does isn't some extraordinary number. Sodium is needed by the body. And it's even less of an issue when you aren't eating any other food throughout the rest of the day.

No. One serving has 1/3 of the recommended serving of sodium. I am having 2 servings right now and for all I know, I may decide I want more later. That doesn't even include sodium I will get from other sources. I will probably grill up a few chicken breasts too later and cover that in salt and pepper. Or maybe eat some stewed tomatoes (which have sodium added to them if you read the label on te can). Basically on any given day, I can be getting more sodium than I am supposed to in an entire day just from soup. I do drink a lot of water so I don't know if that will flush some of it out. Basically, what I am asking is why does stuff like this happen and is it healthy or dangerous.

I thought you did 24 hour fasts?

What's also a little strange is for the last 2 days your other thread has grown and through all the food and what not talk you've never mentioned soup. Even when you were listed what you had been eating throughout the days.

Why do you insist on proving me right that you don't read a single thing I say?

But you haven't been proven right.

And just in case, for argument sake I ran a search on the 10 pages for word "soup" and there was nothing from you to be found.

No but you will find the words "snack" and "light meal" several times. You seemed to overlook that in every single one of your arguments which is why I have a hard time taking anything you say as valid. You are very pick and choosey.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    Instead of bullion cubes, have you tried using chicken stock? It does come in a reduced sodium version. You'd still get the taste. I have no ideas about oranges, maybe clementines if you want the citrus flavor with fewer carbs.
    Instead of bullion cubes, have you tried using chicken stock? It does come in a reduced sodium version. You'd still get the taste. I have no ideas about oranges, maybe clementines if you want the citrus flavor with fewer carbs.

I have in the past. It was bland so I loaded it up on salt. At least it was himalayan pink salt though. Still makes me wonder if it is worth the investment when I just dump a ton of salt into it.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    crfeen wrote: »
    The sodium won't give you a heart attack! It doesn't do that unless its over a prolonged period of time and your blood pressure rises. It may dehydrate you or at the worst, give you a kidney stone, but if you drink a ton of water, you should be fine. I aim for a gallon a day, but I also work out for 2-3 hours 4 days a week and walk 10,000+ steps every day. Just aim for an amount of water that works for you, but you won't get a heart attack from too much sodium, most likely. Just keep your water levels high and check your blood pressure every once in a while!

My blood pressure gets checked when I go to see my endocrinologist and it was just checked before I got my new job. It is always really good.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    P.S. I'm borderline diabetic... I just saw that you are type 2. Make sure you eat a high protein food before you eat an orange. Keep that blood glucose stable.

Not type 2. I am type 1. I have the kind you are born with and find out you have when you are a child.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Well, basically it's a learned response. We can be taught things quite well by reinforcement. In other words "rewards" or positive outcomes or "punishments" or negative outcomes teach us whether to maintain a particular behavior. You've established a positive outcome (yummy calories incoming) with satisfying a craving. Take away the reward - or substitute a different one - and after a while you might find yourself craving something different when your mind tries to get you to consume some nutrients.

So consuming all the soup and oranges while I was sick (which did relieve my flu symptoms) caused me to develop a reward response to it and develop an addiction?

soup and oranges have nothing to do with relieving flu symptoms…just FYI

• CorinnaShaw
    Options

No, you are not addicted to soup and oranges.
    But what if the oranges have added sugar?

Man, I hope not.
    A few weeks ago, I caught the flu. During that time I developed a weird craving for oranges and soup. It seemed understandable at the time; oranges for vitamin C and soup well... because soup. Only now we are over a month away from that time and I am still craving them like crazy. I don't mind craving the oranges because it's a fruit and it's healthy. However, the chicken bouillon I have been drinking is loaded with sodium. Like one the third of the recommended amount in a single serving. I am just waiting for the heart attack at this point because I am drinking several cups of it a day. Why am I craving bouillon and oranges like this? Has anyone else had a weird experience like this? Should I completely cut it out of my diet, ignore it and drink it when I want, or are there healthier substitutes?

What???

Because everyone says too much sodium is super bad and will appera thy kill you. I didn't mean that literally. I'm just saying I am getting an awful lot of sodium from this bouillon.

1/3 of a days does isn't some extraordinary number. Sodium is needed by the body. And it's even less of an issue when you aren't eating any other food throughout the rest of the day.

No. One serving has 1/3 of the recommended serving of sodium. I am having 2 servings right now and for all I know, I may decide I want more later. That doesn't even include sodium I will get from other sources. I will probably grill up a few chicken breasts too later and cover that in salt and pepper. Or maybe eat some stewed tomatoes (which have sodium added to them if you read the label on te can). Basically on any given day, I can be getting more sodium than I am supposed to in an entire day just from soup. I do drink a lot of water so I don't know if that will flush some of it out. Basically, what I am asking is why does stuff like this happen and is it healthy or dangerous.

I thought you did 24 hour fasts?

What's also a little strange is for the last 2 days your other thread has grown and through all the food and what not talk you've never mentioned soup. Even when you were listed what you had been eating throughout the days.

Why do you insist on proving me right that you don't read a single thing I say?

But you haven't been proven right.

And just in case, for argument sake I ran a search on the 10 pages for word "soup" and there was nothing from you to be found.

No but you will find the words "snack" and "light meal" several times. You seemed to overlook that in every single one of your arguments which is why I have a hard time taking anything you say as valid. You are very pick and choosey.

Your story seems to fall apart a lot. You forgot the fact that you detailed everything you ate in the past few days.

Yes I did. And today is the first time I have been home in 3 days to eat what I usually do. Remember, I have been out on 3 dates. Now here I am at home loading up on bouillon again and I just ate three cuties and I am like why the heck am I craving this. Anyway, the guy I have been dating is gonna be here in an hour so I am trying to save my appetite for dinner. I cut myself off after I drank the whole pot of soup and now I need to prep for making dinner.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

soup and oranges have nothing to do with relieving flu symptoms…just FYI

That made me feel better though while I was sick. Maybe it was mental. I don't know. All I know is I craved it when I caught the flu and now the cravings aren't going away.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't think IF calls for a 24 hour fast….I believe for females they recommend 14 hour fast and 10 hour eating window or something….
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

What???

ummm you know you control what goes in your mouth, right? and if water flushed out sodium, my husband wouldnt be on blood pressure meds LOL
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I can't even. I just can't.

You overthink food and overworry about it. You have disordered thinking about it and need help.

• CorinnaShaw
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't think IF calls for a 24 hour fast….I believe for females they recommend 14 hour fast and 10 hour eating window or something….

There are a variety of ways you can do it. iF is not set in stone. Like I said, I eat 1 large meal a day then either a snack or another smaller meal. Sometimes a snack on produce or bits of meat or a hard boiled egg or even a handful of nuts or seeds it they are available. Bouillon fills me up for about 30 minutes then I go pee and I am not full so I don't even think of it as a meal unless there are meat and veggies in it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I can't even. I just can't.

You overthink food and overworry about it. You have disordered thinking about it and need help.

i think you hit the nail on the head....