Weird Addiction Happening

Options

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You had the flu fasted for 24 hours ate oranges and soup and your question is? I may have missed a few steps in there. . . .and your type 1 diabetic?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No IF protocol that I know of calls for 24 hour abstention from food.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't think IF calls for a 24 hour fast….I believe for females they recommend 14 hour fast and 10 hour eating window or something….

There are a variety of ways you can do it. iF is not set in stone. Like I said, I eat 1 large meal a day then either a snack or another smaller meal. Sometimes a snack on produce or bits of meat or a hard boiled egg or even a handful of nuts or seeds it they are available. Bouillon fills me up for about 30 minutes then I go pee and I am not full so I don't even think of it as a meal unless there are meat and veggies in it.

thats not IF..

I ran IF for about six to eight months..

you don't "snack" in your fast window..and I have never seen it call for a 24 hour fast….
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    You had the flu fasted for 24 hours ate oranges and soup and your question is? I may have missed a few steps in there. . . .and your type 1 diabetic?

Yes, I am type 1 diabetic. What I am saying is that while I had the flu, the only thing I ate was soup and oranges and now fast forward over a month later and I am still craving them. Is this bad or am I okay? Is it a sign of something like maybe some sort of deficiency or an addiction? Should I even be giving it a second thought?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Nevermind. I stand corrected. Eat Stop Eat does 24 hour fasts. I don't know how advisable it is for a diabetic to be doing it.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Nevermind. I stand corrected. Eat Stop Eat does 24 hour fasts. I don't know how advisable it is for a diabetic to be doing it.
    I was just getting ready to type that. I was wondering if fasting of any sort was okay for diabetics.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I thought that was 5:2 and you eat like minimal calories on those days 200 to 400..???
  • CorinnaShaw
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't think IF calls for a 24 hour fast….I believe for females they recommend 14 hour fast and 10 hour eating window or something….

There are a variety of ways you can do it. iF is not set in stone. Like I said, I eat 1 large meal a day then either a snack or another smaller meal. Sometimes a snack on produce or bits of meat or a hard boiled egg or even a handful of nuts or seeds it they are available. Bouillon fills me up for about 30 minutes then I go pee and I am not full so I don't even think of it as a meal unless there are meat and veggies in it.

thats not IF..

I ran IF for about six to eight months..

you don't "snack" in your fast window..and I have never seen it call for a 24 hour fast….

I think one meal a day is called the warrior fast or warrior diet or something like that. That is too hardcore for me right now although I would like to be there at some point. There are a few variations of IF. Having something else small to eat really helps me with where I am right now. I honestly never claimed to fast to start off with. This jerk accused me of fasting in a previous thread then I said look up IF because then he would see that short fasting periods aren't bad. Then he ran with it and accused me of fasting and has been selectivity picking things I say to counter and here we are. I have been up front from the start that I only eat one large meal a day but I never said that was the only meal I had. I have explained my snacking habits.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP you change your stories so much that I am getting dizzy!!

500px-Swirly.gif

Your last post never mention oranges or soup, just saying.
  • erincait
    erincait Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Can you dumb that down a bit, please? Haha

Well, basically it's a learned response. We can be taught things quite well by reinforcement. In other words "rewards" or positive outcomes or "punishments" or negative outcomes teach us whether to maintain a particular behavior. You've established a positive outcome (yummy calories incoming) with satisfying a craving. Take away the reward - or substitute a different one - and after a while you might find yourself craving something different when your mind tries to get you to consume some nutrients.

So consuming all the soup and oranges while I was sick (which did relieve my flu symptoms) caused me to develop a reward response to it and develop an addiction?

No, you are not addicted to soup and oranges.
    But what if the oranges have added sugar?

Man, I hope not.
    A few weeks ago, I caught the flu. During that time I developed a weird craving for oranges and soup. It seemed understandable at the time; oranges for vitamin C and soup well... because soup. Only now we are over a month away from that time and I am still craving them like crazy. I don't mind craving the oranges because it's a fruit and it's healthy. However, the chicken bouillon I have been drinking is loaded with sodium. Like one the third of the recommended amount in a single serving. I am just waiting for the heart attack at this point because I am drinking several cups of it a day. Why am I craving bouillon and oranges like this? Has anyone else had a weird experience like this? Should I completely cut it out of my diet, ignore it and drink it when I want, or are there healthier substitutes?

What???

Because everyone says too much sodium is super bad and will appera thy kill you. I didn't mean that literally. I'm just saying I am getting an awful lot of sodium from this bouillon.

1/3 of a days does isn't some extraordinary number. Sodium is needed by the body. And it's even less of an issue when you aren't eating any other food throughout the rest of the day.

No. One serving has 1/3 of the recommended serving of sodium. I am having 2 servings right now and for all I know, I may decide I want more later. That doesn't even include sodium I will get from other sources. I will probably grill up a few chicken breasts too later and cover that in salt and pepper. Or maybe eat some stewed tomatoes (which have sodium added to them if you read the label on te can). Basically on any given day, I can be getting more sodium than I am supposed to in an entire day just from soup. I do drink a lot of water so I don't know if that will flush some of it out. Basically, what I am asking is why does stuff like this happen and is it healthy or dangerous.

I thought you did 24 hour fasts?

What's also a little strange is for the last 2 days your other thread has grown and through all the food and what not talk you've never mentioned soup. Even when you were listed what you had been eating throughout the days.

• CorinnaShaw
    Options

I thought that was 5:2 and you eat like minimal calories on those days 200 to 400..???

No. I just have a really big meal once a day and the other things I eat are pretty minimal when I do eat them.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

No. I just have a really big meal once a day and the other things I eat are pretty minimal when I do eat them.

So you are eating throughout the day, they are just low calorie intakes.

Not fasting?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No IF protocol that I know of calls for 24 hour abstention from food.

Eat Stop Eat (possibly the most well known IF protocol) has 24 hour fasting windows. Warrior Diet - also widely known - is close with 4 hour eating windows.

And Fat Loss Forever has a 36 hour fasting window.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    erincait wrote: »
    Can you dumb that down a bit, please? Haha

Well, basically it's a learned response. We can be taught things quite well by reinforcement. In other words "rewards" or positive outcomes or "punishments" or negative outcomes teach us whether to maintain a particular behavior. You've established a positive outcome (yummy calories incoming) with satisfying a craving. Take away the reward - or substitute a different one - and after a while you might find yourself craving something different when your mind tries to get you to consume some nutrients.

So consuming all the soup and oranges while I was sick (which did relieve my flu symptoms) caused me to develop a reward response to it and develop an addiction?

No, you are not addicted to soup and oranges.
    But what if the oranges have added sugar?

Man, I hope not.
    A few weeks ago, I caught the flu. During that time I developed a weird craving for oranges and soup. It seemed understandable at the time; oranges for vitamin C and soup well... because soup. Only now we are over a month away from that time and I am still craving them like crazy. I don't mind craving the oranges because it's a fruit and it's healthy. However, the chicken bouillon I have been drinking is loaded with sodium. Like one the third of the recommended amount in a single serving. I am just waiting for the heart attack at this point because I am drinking several cups of it a day. Why am I craving bouillon and oranges like this? Has anyone else had a weird experience like this? Should I completely cut it out of my diet, ignore it and drink it when I want, or are there healthier substitutes?

What???

Because everyone says too much sodium is super bad and will appera thy kill you. I didn't mean that literally. I'm just saying I am getting an awful lot of sodium from this bouillon.

1/3 of a days does isn't some extraordinary number. Sodium is needed by the body. And it's even less of an issue when you aren't eating any other food throughout the rest of the day.

No. One serving has 1/3 of the recommended serving of sodium. I am having 2 servings right now and for all I know, I may decide I want more later. That doesn't even include sodium I will get from other sources. I will probably grill up a few chicken breasts too later and cover that in salt and pepper. Or maybe eat some stewed tomatoes (which have sodium added to them if you read the label on te can). Basically on any given day, I can be getting more sodium than I am supposed to in an entire day just from soup. I do drink a lot of water so I don't know if that will flush some of it out. Basically, what I am asking is why does stuff like this happen and is it healthy or dangerous.

I thought you did 24 hour fasts?

What's also a little strange is for the last 2 days your other thread has grown and through all the food and what not talk you've never mentioned soup. Even when you were listed what you had been eating throughout the days.

Because I didn't eat soup those days. Again, I am dating a guy who has taken me out to eat the last three days in a row and we have spent all day together everyday. My eating habits have been a little off the last 3 days.
  • jigglyjessica
    jigglyjessica Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Why don't you make a soup will veggies and meat and have it for dinner instead of just drinking the broth? And be careful with the oranges sugar if you're eating that many and are diabetic
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    Why don't you make a soup will veggies and meat and have it for dinner instead of just drinking the broth? And be careful with the oranges sugar if you're eating that many and are diabetic

I do that often but often times I will also just go and boil a pot to drink straight up. Haha