Weird Addiction Happening

Options

Replies

• CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    You had the flu fasted for 24 hours ate oranges and soup and your question is? I may have missed a few steps in there. . . .and your type 1 diabetic?

I didn't have it for 24 hours. I had it for over a week and that was pretty much all I ate. Yes I am T1D and my question is just if there is a reason I would crave something like that and if it was unhealthy.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't think IF calls for a 24 hour fast….I believe for females they recommend 14 hour fast and 10 hour eating window or something….

There are a variety of ways you can do it. iF is not set in stone. Like I said, I eat 1 large meal a day then either a snack or another smaller meal. Sometimes a snack on produce or bits of meat or a hard boiled egg or even a handful of nuts or seeds it they are available. Bouillon fills me up for about 30 minutes then I go pee and I am not full so I don't even think of it as a meal unless there are meat and veggies in it.

thats not IF..

I ran IF for about six to eight months..

you don't "snack" in your fast window..and I have never seen it call for a 24 hour fast….

I think one meal a day is called the warrior fast or warrior diet or something like that. That is too hardcore for me right now although I would like to be there at some point. There are a few variations of IF. Having something else small to eat really helps me with where I am right now. I honestly never claimed to fast to start off with. This jerk accused me of fasting in a previous thread then I said look up IF because then he would see that short fasting periods aren't bad. Then he ran with it and accused me of fasting and has been selectivity picking things I say to counter and here we are. I have been up front from the start that I only eat one large meal a day but I never said that was the only meal I had. I have explained my snacking habits.

You actually did say you fasted in the other thread. Several times. You are diabetic, fasting protocols for the general population are not designed for you.

No diet protocol is advised for anyone who isn't already in great health without a doctor's supervision. I cut out breakfast on my endocrinologist's requests when he was reading my food journals and saw that my BG always went up after breakfast with no common factors other than the fact that I was eating at all. He said stop eating breakfast so I did and I have never looked back. My BG really started to be easier to regulate after that. After that, I went from eating lunch and dinner down to basically just eating one meal a day and my second meal becoming so small it was almost the size of a snack. Then I started looking into fasting diets to see if they were as bad as people said because I was waiting for negative side effects to kick in, but instead I learned it could actually be really healthy for you so I ended up changing up things to where I was no longer eating lunch early in the afternoon and made my biggest meal between lunch and dinner time. A hardly eat anything else and on occasion I don't eat anything else at all. It all depends on the day. I feel good so I am not concerned with the frequency of my meals. Call it fasting or don't. I guess it is kind of in the middle. As long as it makes me feel healthy and I am able to regulate my sugars.
  • CorinnaShaw
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You had the flu fasted for 24 hours ate oranges and soup and your question is? I may have missed a few steps in there. . . .and your type 1 diabetic?

Yes, I am type 1 diabetic. What I am saying is that while I had the flu, the only thing I ate was soup and oranges and now fast forward over a month later and I am still craving them. Is this bad or am I okay? Is it a sign of something like maybe some sort of deficiency or an addiction? Should I even be giving it a second thought?

Okay I got it now. Is it bad? No. Unless your Catholic and your priest isn't an orange fan. I think the soup(at least the sodium) may be something you want if you are moving(exercising more). As for a second thought. . . .nah. Enjoy it and move on.

I am catholic. O.O Hahahahahaha
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

Yes, I am type 1 diabetic. What I am saying is that while I had the flu, the only thing I ate was soup and oranges and now fast forward over a month later and I am still craving them. Is this bad or am I okay? Is it a sign of something like maybe some sort of deficiency or an addiction? Should I even be giving it a second thought?

Okay I got it now. Is it bad? No. Unless your Catholic and your priest isn't an orange fan. I think the soup(at least the sodium) may be something you want if you are moving(exercising more). As for a second thought. . . .nah. Enjoy it and move on.

Well, there's your problem.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Can you dumb that down a bit, please? Haha

Well, basically it's a learned response. We can be taught things quite well by reinforcement. In other words "rewards" or positive outcomes or "punishments" or negative outcomes teach us whether to maintain a particular behavior. You've established a positive outcome (yummy calories incoming) with satisfying a craving. Take away the reward - or substitute a different one - and after a while you might find yourself craving something different when your mind tries to get you to consume some nutrients.

So consuming all the soup and oranges while I was sick (which did relieve my flu symptoms) caused me to develop a reward response to it and develop an addiction?

soup and oranges have nothing to do with relieving flu symptoms…just FYI

They may help with potassium however.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I wish I craved oranges and chicken bullion...right now I'm craving eclairs! CICO FTW. The rest, barring a health condition, doesn't really matter.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago, I caught the flu. During that time I developed a weird craving for oranges and soup. It seemed understandable at the time; oranges for vitamin C and soup well... because soup. Only now we are over a month away from that time and I am still craving them like crazy. I don't mind craving the oranges because it's a fruit and it's healthy. However, the chicken bouillon I have been drinking is loaded with sodium. Like one the third of the recommended amount in a single serving. I am just waiting for the heart attack at this point because I am drinking several cups of it a day. Why am I craving bouillon and oranges like this? Has anyone else had a weird experience like this? Should I completely cut it out of my diet, ignore it and drink it when I want, or are there healthier substitutes?

What???

MrM27 knows everything.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I wish I craved oranges and chicken bullion...right now I'm craving eclairs! CICO FTW. The rest, barring a health condition, doesn't really matter.

I made a batch of sugary PB cookies last night (normally I make protein stuff, so this was totally different from what I normally bake!) and I'm totally craving those... it made 19 cookies. Lost one to the floor and 4 to my stomach in the last 24 hours LOL. Probably going to eat one nightly until they are gone.
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I had salt once, and I got the clap. Not sure if there related. Wouldn't chance it.

Lmao :D
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Ok confession, I went through a period where I could barely afford much food and I'd save and drink the pasta water

You guys are killing me today.......too funny.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Oranges are pretty cool. But how do you feel about...

tangerines?
  • scatterwitts
    Options
    What???

Because everyone says too much sodium is super bad and will appera thy kill you. I didn't mean that literally. I'm just saying I am getting an awful lot of sodium from this bouillon.

Recent info is that sugar is one of the primary predictors of heart disease. I had 'good' cholesterol numbers, a good BMI and had a massive heart attack 18 months ago. It was a shock to my doctor as much as it was to me and my friends until we found this study and I had one of those 'aha!' moments. I'm not suggesting over indulging in fried chicken or potato chips but worry about sugar as much or more than the things we've been hearing about for the past few decades.
  • cortsky
    cortsky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Make your own broth. I used to just cut up onion, garlic, shallots and toss them in my slow cooker with a whole organic chicken and add whatever seasoning I was in the mood for (little bit of salt, pepper, etc.) and cook on low. When it was finished I removed the chicken and strained the broth into a container. I used this later to make my quinoa.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Did your Priest date a woman from Syracuse, break up, and then enter the priesthood?

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    They do sell No-Salt bullion.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    They do sell No-Salt bullion.
  • jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Can you do reduced sodium chicken broth instead? lol. just a thought.
  • LittleJem01
    LittleJem01 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I came here from the other thread...