April 2015 Bike Bicycle Cycling Challenge

Options
sajeffe
sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
As Per Our Fearless Leader, CricketKate:

Welcome to our April Cycling Thread. If you are new to posting on this thread, or if you are new to cycling, We welcome you! If you are returning from a previous thread, We welcome you, too.

This thread is for anyone who rides a bike. Do you bike to work? Do you pull your children to the park? So you ride weekends? Do you spin, at home or the gym? Or, are you just starting out and remembering how much fun you had biking when you were a kid? However you choose to push your pedal, you are welcome on this thread.

I am a fairly casual person and, as such, have created a fairly casual thread. There are no rules to how or what you post. My only request is that you be kind. You may post miles, minutes, # of rides, what the scenery looks like, anything. Whatever will motivate you to get on your bike.

Please know that everyone who posts is welcome and encouraged, whether you’re riding a 100 miler on the weekend or just riding around the neighborhood.

Replies

• sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Although I totally blew off March, I'll ride this month. I rode 1.5 miles today because I needed eggs and my car wouldn't start. Eggs in a backpack is totally new for me. Haha.

4/1 - 1.5miles

MTD = 1.5 miles
    Goal - nothing specific
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Goal, same as every month. Ride smoother, get stronger, climb higher, go faster.

Last week 170 miles , 10,000 feet of climbing.
  • Jessicabybike
    Jessicabybike Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the 30 Days of Biking at 30DOB.com & also started a state level Facebook group. If you take the pledge on the website, they also donate bikes for kids. :) check it out! It's a free deal & completely supports a community of people who ride. :)
  • spoffy
    spoffy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Riding the Pelatonia in August. 180 mile 2 day ride for cancer research. Starting training now at 25 miles!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    April 1 - rode 12.2 Kilometers for a duration of 0:30:00

April Totals: 12.2 Kilometers - 00:30:00 hours

Training and riding in Deutschland continues...
  • alleykat69
    alleykat69 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I need a challenge group to join. I work some crazy hours so I many not be able to do everyday. Ride on.
  • Michelledownunder
    Michelledownunder Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm using my bike to cycle home from work. I've been cycling the 16 km trip four or five days a week. I'm in new Zealand and we finish daylight saving this weekend. I'm a little worried about finishing my ride in the dark, but I'm really enjoying feeling fit (as well as the extra calorie burn) so I don't want to stop cycling over the winter. Any survival hints from regular night time cyclers?
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    In for 450 miles, as my running goal is down to 145 miles, and I'm done with visitors for the season.
  • Ohhim
    Options
    I'm using my bike to cycle home from work. I've been cycling the 16 km trip four or five days a week. I'm in new Zealand and we finish daylight saving this weekend. I'm a little worried about finishing my ride in the dark, but I'm really enjoying feeling fit (as well as the extra calorie burn) so I don't want to stop cycling over the winter. Any survival hints from regular night time cyclers?

For night riding, I'm very happy with my 1200lm night light (usually just wear it on my head): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MN7I4FQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm in too! this is my first monthly "challenge". I'm a recovering triathlete and a duathlete with a bike to beach (DC to Ocean City in July, a crit. and Fondo in June and a IM distance du in November). Thanks for the thread.
    April 1st - 3 mile commute on a Capital BikeShare bike -
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    After taking off the whole winter but for spinning and the trainer (and a bike vacation in late February which was amazing), I am ready to start riding outside again! Not sure how the month will go, so I'll start with a 200 mile goal and keep track of indoor rides (although I'll try to make the goal with just the outdoor rides!).
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
    I ride a lot, I love riding, I ride with a couple of friends 2-4 days during the week, and on the weekend I lead a (mostly) womens ride, either the a or the b group depending on what is needed.
    I also commute to work when it is not too early of a start and not too late of an end, because my husband doesn't like me riding in the dark, It is also little dangerous where I live to ride after say 5 pm, evening commuters and the sun going down make for dangerous roads.
    Oh yes and for April, Strava has a climbing challenge so I will be posting my amount of feet climbed, the challenge is to climb 9,000 meters for the month of April. That's appx 30,000 feet.

April 1st 37 miles and 2,858feet
    April 2nd 43 miles and 2,270 feet
  • Ohhim
    Options
    First ride of the month done. Hadn't ridden over 20 miles in a few weeks, but my fitness seemed decent as I was able to average a bit over 17mph at 70% of my HR max for the 35 mile ride.

4/2 - 35 miles

Total: 35 miles
    Goal: 450 miles
    Remaining: 415 miles
  • corindeathawk
    corindeathawk Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    In this month finally after a winter of trainer bound discontent. Will go for 450 miles for this month.

4/2 - 23.3 Miles
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back into cycling after not doing any serious riding for 5+ years. I'm not sure what my goals are yet but at some point, I want to be able to do a century this year. As of right now I'm concentrating on being able to maintain a high cadence.

April 1: 12 miles @14.3 mph avg (max 19.7 mph)
    April 2: 10 mile @12.5 mph avg (max 23.5 mph) (tho I didn't realize my wheel sensor was askew for the first couple of miles)
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm in for this month! I've got my first half iron in September and a whole buncha sprint and oly tris before then.
    I think I'll shoot for a minimum of 350 this month.

4/1- rest day. Yoga with coworkers
    4/2- strength in the am, 20 miles tonight. I was shooting for closer to 35, but was hit with two flats and a thunderstorm. 2nd overall on a popular Strava segment, though :smile:
    20 down/ 330 to go.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm in for this month with no mileage goals. Since my 3 knee surgeries, started walking the first 3 months and dropped 34 pounds since January 1st. When I was at my goal weight of 218, I was riding150+ miles a week. Now, I'm back to square one.. starting over...

4/2 9.2 miles@14.25 avg.
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    4/1 14.96 miles @11.1 mph avg (Max 12.9) 1:20:55 duration. Crushed gravel (Katy Trail)
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Looking to do 500 miles or more this month.

4/2 - 22.5 miles
  • celticlass69
    celticlass69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ok, so hopefully no one will judge me. I've bought a used bicycle (Diamondback 2011 serene citi classic) which I hope to get out on soon. Between the weather and health issues I've not been able to before. I have a good MFP friend who has helped me find my way into cycling.