40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,897 Member
    I hope I can get a lifting workout in, today....BOOM!
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Good morning Cool Kids!
    The snow is slowly going away here in Vermont. Supposed to be in the low 50s today and possibly low 60s tomorrow! BUT then it is supposed to get cold and a little snowy over the weekend. Ugh!
    Hoping to get some running in. Have had my son unexpectedly this week as his father and stepmom are both sick with the tummy bug and we are trying to dodge the bullet with our son. LOL
    Knock on wood, we have avoided is so far.

Have to work my per diem job this weekend (12 hour days) so I may have to have my BF give me a kick into the gym Saturday night after work or else I probably won't be inclined to go on my own after working all day. LOL
  • JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    Welcome Looncove_Farm!

Nataliegetfit don't sell yourself so short. I bet you will do much better than you think. If you see something you feel you don't really want, walk away for a while and see if the want passes before you eat it. That way you can leave the guilt on the porch for the mail lady to pick up.

Croabylee sounds like a great long weekend! I have tomorrow off too and now now I wish it was nice enough weather to pull out the tent and other camping gear and head out with some friends for a couple of nights.

I have decided I need to tweak my food some. Thinking about how my body has been reacting to sugar, carbs, starchy foods....you know bloating, water retention and inflammation in general... I've been reading a little about the Paleo Diet and well I'm not going to jump in with both feet I'm going to do things slowly. I know how I am if I go full on with taking certain foods away I will fall off the wagon big time. Besides they say to give up alcohol completely, that's not going to happen. I don't drink a lot, just a little now and again. Picked up some goat cheese and some pepperellos on my way home. See how things go.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Good Evening Cool Kids.

I had an early morning trip to Chipley today to have a backup camera installed in Margie's new Prius. The wiring harness they had was the wrong one, so I get to go back next Tuesday. About 45 minutes each way if I take the Interstate.

Did the whole thrift store and grocery thing for the week. Then a short nap before cooking supper. After supper we got out and planted flowers. We worked until dark. The sunset wasn't too much to write home about, but the moon rise was.

Hope everyone had a good day,

Larro

dfaa3ugnjqm9.jpg

wqqvtzvcrj6l.jpg
    j9sf5q6a5kcy.jpg
  • patricialt1126
    patricialt1126 Posts: 5 Member
    Good evening cool kids!!
    Just found this page… I was excited to find this page, read all your comments, and getting to know you better-- glad I found your page! Thanks!!
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Morning everyone!!!!

Love the pictures Larro!!!!
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Hello Cool Kids - just found enough time to catch up with everyone... lots going on!

Caramel - so sorry to hear about your injury... glad it was not too serious, but it sounds bad enough. Hoping for your speedy recovery!

Allenpriest - hope you're starting to feel better?

KellySue - kickboxing... I'm in awe of you! :) Sorry to read it was cancelled on Thursday though.

Emmalusmom - great walking, well done. Keep it up - but keep out of the thunder and lightning!

3furballs - sorry to hear about the sore knee... I'm also with you (and Caramel) on the knee injury front. Mine sort of "popped" in aerobics a few weeks ago and was agonising walking up and down stairs - the physio says "No!" to running or aerobics for the time being so I'm going a bit stir crazy - and I've totally bombed in the March Running Challenge :(

Kate - I agree with Jackie... treat yourself to the size 4 shorts - it's a great achievement!

Jackie - great losing, well done! Just out of interest, is there a way to change the settings so MFP takes decimal point values? I entered a weight that ended in 6.6 and MFP rounded it up to 7, which was disappointing!

Crosbylee - safe driving and enjoy your long weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing some spring flowers piccies.

Larro - loving the latest photos... you can be relied on to keep us well stocked with lovely pics - especially the moon rise one! :) Is your soil quite sandy - it looks sandy in the photo?

Welcome patricia and all other new folks - I'm quite new too.

Beeps (and other lifting ladies) - can I ask your advice? I want to start to incorporate more weight-related activities into my fitness plan. What would you recommend? I really don't do the gym - I don't think I've ever even been to one - so I'm after recommendations for stuff to do at home and thought I'd ask you as you are the master of heavy stuff! B)

• chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Hey! I just found this page. I hope to get to know everyone that I can. I have been logging on MFP for 10 days now and determined to stick with it. I always heard it's harder to lose weight once you get in your 40s; I was like 'yea ok'. Well, I should have paid more attention to that advice. UGH! I hope to learn a lot from all of you on how to get this job done. :wink: Have a GREAT weekend!!
  • WMDemetree
    WMDemetree Posts: 3,923 Member
    edited April 2015
    Welcome to MFP @chandramiller68. Hope you can achieve your goal.. It might be harder but not imposiible. We would have to put in double the work in supporting you... you can do this!
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Hi chandramiller - welcome!

Yeah - 40... the top of the slippery slope LOL ;) I agree with you - it's harder post 40 - but not impossible!
  • chandramiller68
    Thank you @WMDemetree. I feel really good about this. I see where I need to tweak my food and such, but it is an achievement I will work hard to get. I was kind of disappointed the first week because I didn't see a decrease in weight, and I will chalk this up to the fact that I started exercising 6x a week. Hoping as the next few weeks go by, I will see a decrease in weight. :smile:
  • WMDemetree
    WMDemetree Posts: 3,923 Member
    Keep on doing what you are doing and the decrease will naturally happen. Do not get discouraged, you are doing the right thing. :smiley:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    xln7aspt8lu0.jpg

Hi All! So glad it's Friday!! Had a meeting that was literally all morning- 9:30-1:00- and then some! Since kickboxing was cancelled last night I wanted to go for a walk but it was raining steadily when I got home so that did not happen. Then I woke with a chest cold today- blah! Hoping to keep it under control so it doesn't turn into something worse.

No big plans for the holiday- going to see hubby tomorrow and then church and dinner with my brother-in-law and his wife on Sunday. Yet another holiday without hubby being home. (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, Valentine's Day and now Easter) Hoping this will be the last one. He is doing so much better and has been able to walk more and more every day- he made it to 120 feet yesterday!

Have a good weekend all!
  • danjbadassery
    danjbadassery Posts: 90 Member
    @chandramiller68 remember that muscle weighs more than fat so you may not see a change on the scale in the beginning. It might even go up a little depending on what you are doing but that does not mean you are not headed in the right direction!!! :smiley:
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Good Afternoon Cool Kids.

Margie had the day off due to Good Friday, and she wanted French toast for breakfast. I was worried about the extra calories, but I cooked it anyway. Later when I did the numbers it turned out less than my everyday breakfast. Although I did limit myself to three pieces.

I worked in the garden for a couple of hours this morning. Then did a Lowe's run to get supplies for laying the water line for the grapevines. Now I'm waiting for it to cool off before getting back out there.

And yes, I have very sandy soil. I put soaker hoses on everything or it just dries up. That is why I'm going to the trouble of laying a new water line for the grapevines. I bought enough pipe to run a line over to the flowerbed too.

Here is a picture of me and Orange from yesterday. Margie took it when I wasn't looking.

11075166_10203795852803999_7428422928674710147_o.jpg

Here are the numbers for the week: 21.1% Body Fat, 24.0 BMI & 172.0 Pounds. That is a gain of 0.8 pounds for the week.

Hope everyone is having a good day,

Larro
  • JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    LittleNell thank you. I am honestly not sure if there is a way to change that setting. Mine has been that way from the start. I hustled looked in all of the settings on my phone app and could not find anything. If I figure it out I will definitely let you know!

Welcome Chandramiller! Keep going the tracking is so much easier on line or on a phone app than carrying around a book. It is great to be able to check out daily nutrition and see where things can be changed. The weight loss shows a week after a really great workout so don't be too surprised when it happens. You are adding muscle with the fat, the muscle is more compact. A pound is a pound is a pound. We would all just rather have a pound of muscle. :)

KellySue hope you feel better and 120 feet is awesome!!!!

Larro that sounds like a great breakfast. Orange looks like a fantastic helper in the garden.
  • alishaspringle
    alishaspringle Posts: 47 Member
    Happy Friday. No loss - no gain - no problems with that right now.
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Hi all....
    Been laying low and slipping a little the last few months.. a few too many treats and not enough exercise has seen a couple of kg creep back on. But have got myself a new Fitbit Surge HR as a stick to encourage me to be a bit more active. Quite interesting to see how my HR drops down to overnight and how how much lower it gets with a longer nights sleep.
    So back to 15kg to lose again but still over 15kg down on my original start weight which is not to bad.
    Good to see so many new people here and the trials and tribulations of the more established members of the group.
    And Larro don't let sandy soils put you off your grapevines, some of the best wines in the world come from West Australia where I live and the soils here are mostly sandy. Plenty of irrigation is the key as I would imagine the climate is pretty similar to what you have in Fla
    Happy Holidays everyone ..keep up the good work everyone..
  • chandramiller68
    edited April 2015
    @danieljshires I know this has to be true, but I would love to see the numbers on scale lower. I felt lighter today so I weighed. I gained 0.8#...ugh! I will try hard to focus on how I feel. Love getting older....not
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Happy Easter to everyone, I hope you all have a blessed day and can spend some time with family and friends. We have had some snow today, supposed to be 2-4 inches. Not very springy around here. I'm looking forward to church in the morning with my family. Then getting the rest of lunch ready. Just my mother in law will be here with us. I am hoping my weight will just maintain where I am for a few days, then back at it Monday.