40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi kjgarcia,

I will share my hip issue with you in case you find some similarities. My PT noted that my left hip was "retroverted" which means the humorous comes out angled slightly back from "normal". This, he explained, I've always had. It's the lifetime of activity that have aggravated the labrum -- that's the cartilidge-y part that extends from your hip socket and holds the ball of your humorous. The problem started slowly, and years ago ... I gave up running because it was hurting my hip, mostly in the sacrum area at first. Then fast walking started being a problem, feeling it around my hip flexer in the front. Then bending, squatting, going up stairs, then hills, etc. It all kinda went downhill quickly in the last 6 months. So now I'm in the queue to get arthroscopic surgery to trim the labrum, and expect to feel awesome again by Christmas!

Good luck with it!
    I apologize if this is a repeat for my MFP friends since it's on my feed, but for the others. I'm having hip pain, any ideas? Here is a copy of the post from my feed....

I have had a particularly painful left hip for several years. My dr. has sent me for physical therapy (which never really felt like it was doing anything), and x-rays (which, were "normal"). It has been pretty good. Sometimes a dull ache, but more manageable lately. Sunday I was sitting on the bed talking on the phone. I had my left foot under me. When I stood up it was a sudden super sharp pain in my left hip. I could hardly put any weight on it for the first little bit. As the day went on it felt better. When I went to bed that night it was so painful if my leg was straight. Any other position felt fine. Yesterday at work (on my feet a LOT) it was mostly fine. At one point in the day I squatted to do something and the squat itself didn't hurt, but was awful when I stood back up! Same sleeping scenario, and really painful when I first get around. I'm at work now, and it's achy, but not the sharp, 'can't move' kind of pain. Ideas???
  • kjgarcia
    kjgarcia Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Curious....that all sounds really familiar and definitely something to think about. To get this diagnosis did you have an MRI or CT Scan? I've had x-rays, but they were "normal".
    I'm used to the aches, but this is new that I move a certain way etc., and it's a sharp pain is new. When it's sharp like that it takes me a little bit to be able to walk normally again, then when I can it's better...till it happens again! :/
  • Emmalusmom
    Emmalusmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello All You Cool Kids,

I did something and couldn't find my post button. I can be technology challenged. LOL! But I clicked on some more buttons today and got it back somehow.

I had a really fun weekend. Me, 2 of my kids, granddaughter and 2 friends went to a nursing home and had a "senior prom party". My oldest son is a DJ and so we played them all kinds of music and we danced with them and for them. To see their faces light up was so awesome! I don't think that I had a dry sopt on me when I left, but I guess that was good cardio.

kjgarcia - I was having problems like that about 2 years ago and it was back problems. I don't know if that may be your problem or not, but I did have a CT and a MRI both done.

Larro - I think that you could give lessons on gardening. Maybe you should like about writing a book!

Caramel - I know that you are getting excitied about your race. Good Luck.

Beeps - I am glad that you had such a good time at yuor dinner party.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Hope everyone got through the day alright. Tuesday is my grocery shopping day, so I went to Marianna. It was a poor day at the thrift stores. Only one shirt:sad: The good thing about me losing 65 pounds was that I was able to buy a whole new wardrobe. The bad thing was all the clothes I already had, that I loved were too big for me.

My wife had to go before the Board of County Commissioners at 5:00 o'clock to request her budget for next year. We hadn't talked about supper, so I waited for her to get home before I cooked. Lots of times her and her assistant will go eat supper before the meeting, but they hadn't this time. I had bought some links of smoked turkey sausage in town, so I just cooked that and we had sandwiches.

Hope your hip feels better soon kj. My boss is going through something like that. Some days she can hardly walk. She thinks it's her sciatic nerve, but has been trying to find out if that's it for almost a year now.

KellySue, here in Florida we have road construction 12 months out of the year. And if not construction, those survey teams are on the sides of the road. I just feel for the poor souls out in this heat. Luckily I'm blessed with a 13 mile commute. Since I go in in the afternoon and get off at night, traffic is hardly ever a problem. Once in a while I will get behind a school bus.

Cara, good luck with your race. What time are you shooting for? 35 years ago I ran a 4 minute 45 second mile. Three or four months ago I tried running again. But it was right after I had started lifting, and my ribs were too sore to take the jarring. I do a lift I call the front and side, where you bring the weights up from your side to shoulder height, straight out in front of you, then lower them and do the same, but to the side. The side lifts really put a strain on your ribs.

Beeps, we could all get a lot more done if we could just not go to the office. I'm at that point in life where you look forward to your birthdays because you are one year closer to retirement.

Emm's Mom, when my mother in law was in a nursing home, we would take the old ladies fishing. They had a small pond with a dock, and we would roll them out there. The pond was stocked with about 10,000 stump knockers, and a few really big catfish. They would catch lots of the little fish with no problem, but when they hung into one of the catfish they had to have help getting it up to the dock. And you didn't want to let one of the big fish come off the hook while you were pulling them in for them. Months later they would still be saying, "I had hung that catfish, but Larro let him get off."

And it's funny you should mention writing. For four years I wrote novels, only stopping after I had done 7 1/2 of them in a series. These days I never seem to find the time for writing. I blame the garden and these forums......
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Kjgarcia, I feel your pain. This is my story: I have always been very active, about 5 yrs ago I was running a lot, half marathons etc, I started feeling more aches and pains than the usual especially on my hips. One day while running I felt achy but thought it would go away as it usually did then I got this sharp pain, I couldn't even walk, my husband had to run back home to get the car. After many tests including MRI, scans, they found a labral tear, I also have arthritis, actually in all my joints. The Dr recommended an arthroscopy, I am terrified of surgeries. I opted out. I did some physical therapy, I also stopped running. I am still teaching Zumba and do weight training. I have pain but it is manageable, some days are better than others. It bothers me more if I sit for too long. When I stand up it is very stiff then it goes away. I suggest try gettingball the tests you can to get to the bottom of it and then look at your alternatives. Wish you the best!!!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day! Thank goodness it's now the downside to the rest of the week. I picked Jake up after work yesterday and we hung out for a few hours while my daughter and son-in-law went to dinner. We had so much fun- he's such a little explorer now- we looked at some ants-eewwe, some rocks and sticks, my lawn mower, and even the kitty statue I have in my yard- he liked that so much that he kissed it! Too Funny!

I ran this morning, but only for a short while- it was very humid this morning and I couldn't keep pace for a longer time. I walked some as well.

Have a good day all!
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I feel like Dorothy Zbornack..am I finally cool?!! :tongue:
  • kjgarcia
    Options
    Alf...I'm sorry to hear you have something similar!! The more I read online the more I wonder about a tear too. I guess I will call my Dr. and go from there. I wonder if she will just order me an MRI or want to needlessly see me AGAIN?!
  • MyTurn2BHappy
    MyTurn2BHappy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's nice to see a thread with people my age! I feel really old with all of the young people on this site! LOL Anyone can feel free to add me, if you wanna be friends :flowerforyou:
  • hwytohottie
    hwytohottie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good Morning... Im new to this but this looked like the best place to be... lots of great inspiration here and stories and support.

My name is Lisa, I recently turned 50 and well its about time to change my life. A little about me.. was very fit and active most of my life, things seemed to change around 30 , presure of work and family and stress took its toll on me and my habits.. I turned to food...so now 20 yrs later and 60 lbs heavier i need to change...I started using the FitPal app in January and have lost 14 lbs I probaly could have done better but fell off the wagon a few times as I have no support at home or around me... so here I am reaching out to a unknown family that has gone thru or is going thru changes as well....
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Options
    Hi KJ,
    I also had 'normal' x-rays. They did a "contrast MRI" to diagnose the labrum problem. That's where they inject dye into the hip joint before they do the MRI. Kinda pricy! I have stopped all of the aggravating activities -- bicycle riding, fast walking, strenuous uphil hiking, extended squatting / bending while gardening, etc. When I don't do any of these things, I feel pretty ok. BUT, I'm not ok wtth not doing any of those things! Essentially no exercise! Can't be a good thing. Hence pushing forward with surgery. When you had your x-rays done, did the radiologist mention what the next step would be in the report? My report stated that an MRI would offer more conclusive info.
  • kjgarcia
    Options
    Curious...as far as I know there was nothing mentioned as far as "the next step".

So, did you have any regular MR's as well, or only the contrast MRI? I'm trying to decide what I should ask my Dr. for.
    These last couple of days when I don't think about it and squat down for some reason it hurts so bad when I stand back up and takes me a little bit to be able to bear weight on my left leg.
    I definitely think I will put a call in to my Dr., but I want to be informed and know what I want to ask for before she just recommends stretching, or PT or something again.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Instead of walking (alone) last night, I decided to hop on my bike and just ride!!

o.m.g.

I don't think I have been on a bike, alone, and without kids, in, ohhhhhh, fourteen YEARS??!?!

It was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.

yes, my butt FROZE after only 40 minutes, but that is okay....it really was super-fun and the numbness cannot be helped (don't even try and advise....I have tried every single bike seat out there and right now, the cushioning on this seat is literally 4 inches....it's just some body response I have).
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Options
    Hi KJ,
    Just the contrast MRI. I think they called it an "arthroscope". Your description of the squatting to standing = pain (in the front mostly?) sounds like a possible labrum issue. I wish you the best of luck! It's really really hard to become immobile due to pain. Don't let it dampen your spirits! Find something you can do that doesn't hurt in the meantime. :flowerforyou:
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Options
    Since I'm lurking here so much, I should introduce myself. I'm 48, live on the Redwood Coast of norhtern Cali (about 5 hrs. north of SF). I have a 28 yo son who will be getting married in Sept. I'm in a very happyLTR. I'm a hunter / gatherer / gardener / cook with 5 backyard chickens. I've always had a very healthy diet IMO (organic, whole grain, lean, local, etc), but I just eat too much of it! And then there's the amazing local micro breweries...:drinker: Work as a Performance Improvement Manager. Love to kayak in the big blue Pacific and hike in the wilderness. Learning to ride a dual-sport motorcycle (I stood on the pegs in the dirt yesterday! Woot!). Ride my bicycle to work as often as possible. I'm 5'9" and this morning I weighed 171.5. I'm headed for 155. Feel free to add me as a pal. I'll be checking in here daily -- except on the weekends when I'm out playing. I'd like to be a cool kid too!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Happy Hump Day to all you Monday-Friday folks. My main workdays are Friday-Monday, so this is my weekend. I work nights and weekends, so I work anytime the Civic Center is used during those times, but I have a lot of Tuesdays-Thursdays nights off. But this Thursday Margie, my wife, is using the Civic Center for poll worker training. Which means I will be 'volunteering' to set up the tables and chairs for her:ohwell:

Wednesday is also my housecleaning day, but a trip to Panama City this morning to take Mamma to the Doctor has me running behind. I just got the 2nd load of clothes in the washer. We do have a cleaning lady come in every other Wednesday, but I do all the laundry and dishes, even on the weeks she comes. Margie's job takes more hours, pays three times the money and has about twenty times the stress of mine, so I do most of the cooking and cleaning at the Larro Ranchero.

I had to say no to Mamma's request to eat at Golden Corral. The food is not bad, but it is hard to get a good figure on how much you eat. Plus it waste at least an hour when Mamma has to sample everything there. {I'm the only one in the family who will tell her no. My sister will take her, then call me to complain} I stopped at Sonic and got her a kid's meal, and picked up a hamburger for Margie. I waited and had the last of the black bean + 13 soup for my lunch when I got home.

Beeps, 10 minutes is all I can use my stationary bike without parts of my anatomy going numb that I would rather not go numb. Like the ads on TV say, it's a question of blood flow. If I'm doing more than 10 minutes, I will stop the timer and get off and walk around for a couple of minutes. The bad thing is you don't notice it until the blood starts to flow again, which makes a tingling sensation. I used one of my wife's old bikes to make a garden plow, and it had a really nice seat on it. The plan was to put the seat on the stationary bike, but the shaft isn't the same size.

Curiousgeorgianna, welcome to the club. A lady who used to work with me at the Civic Center {in Blountstown Fl} lives near Mt Shasta. Her husband is a Forester with the US Forest Service, and used to work here in the Apalachicola National Forest. She was from out there in your neck of the woods, and it was a culture shock to her to live in the Florida panhandle. Folks around here call this area LA, for Lower Alabama.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Larro
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    What is a happyLTR, curiousgeorgi??

larrodarro - I'm glad you contribute to the household chores....studies still say that men totally don't pull their weight in that regard, so it's nice when I read about someone who does!

I had a good lifting session. But now I have eaten too much. Lame.

Tomorrow I will have to bring back the laser-focus I had last week!
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Options
    Sorry for the acronymn! LTR = Long Term Relationship :heart: :smile:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Awesome!

And cool!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    KJ, ask nicely but DEMAND a more thourough test to get to the bottom of it. I have military insurance and it took forever to get the diagnosis due to all the run around. But at the end I opted out to have surgery...I do have pain but it is manageable and I still do so much compared to other people. The thought of not doing anything for at least 6 months or never if anything goes wrong scared me to death. :flowerforyou:

Welcome to all the new cool kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker:

Larro, I liked your post about gardening. My husband and I started a small garden back in March but in containers. We live in San Antonio and the soil is horrendous. We are experimenting with several veggies and herbs. The radishes were not successful at all!!! Tomatoes, only got 3 so far, they were yummy. The green peppers are super cute and very good. The spinach didnt grow well but the swiss chard did. We also have other peppers. Cucumbers have not come out yet...rosemary, chives, mint, basil and oregano are doing well. The cilantro died. :sick: We are going to continue trying different things. We do have to be more aware of what grows here well.

Have a great evening!!! :flowerforyou: