40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I'm still alive!!!! LOL. Been way too busy. Woke up with back pain, all I need before my trip. Good thing the flight is under 3 hrs.

KS I hope everything is well with your hubby.

Beeps, you crack me up! Ha!

At work...
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Crosbylee, sorry about your dog, we lost our Mastiff about 5 years ago, I am glad you have another one to love on. It's hard.
    Caramel, sorry about your loss too, is raw pasta, just really raw pasta? Don't injure yourself trying to compare or keep up with someone. Do it at your own pace, challenge yourself, but not to the extreme of hurting yourself. I am sure you do it better each time.
    Alf, have a nice trip, hope your back feels better so you can enjoy everything.
    Kelly sue, it's great they can take your husband to the appointments. Makes it so much easier. I have the high school play this week too. My son is an extra in it, and it's Thurs and fri. night and sat. so it will be a lot of running back and forth the 1/2 hour to and from.
    I had my quilt guild retreat over the weekend and had a great time, got a lot of sewing done. Ate a little too many things off the goodie table. I brought a salad for each day, so I didn't do too bad, but it's good to be back home and into my routine. I got a quilt top finished and a linus quilt done and it was just good to be away . My husband came home early today, it's so pretty and nice out. We went on probably the last snowmobile ride and it was really great out. It is going to warm up and rain for a couple days and the snow will be too low.
    I hope you all have a great hump day!!!!!
  • TracyB_73
    TracyB_73 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm new here!! Booked holiday for end of June and I have bikini fear lol. I would really like to lose 20lb or just under so I have to drop calories to 1200
  • nicolekstrand
    nicolekstrand Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Love the pictures of the creek! I love being outdoors. I'm fairly new to the group and to the app itself so forgive me if I don't know how to maneuver around. I'm hoping to meet some people with similar goals to encourage each other and motivating each other.
  • mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Larro: shower squats? Lmbo I can just see myself falling & breaking something doing that!
    Tracyhillis: bikinis uhhhgggg!
    Anyway, got our taxes done & still had time to workout. Started turbo fire yesterday. I've been doing turbo jam for years & decided I needed an upgrade! INTENSE! Did a 20 min today then ran a mile!
  • JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    @mommylern Way to go!

Welcome newbies. Several of us have only been here for a little while. A lot of motivational posts here, seeing what everyone else does to get active and get the burn on.

Tried to go for a couple of walks tonight but the dog was having nothing to do with walking in the rain today. So have to hope I can get some extra in another day. Tomorrow will be a little difficult as they are providing breakfast for our department. I have no clue what there will be so I am planning to take my own just in case there isn't anything I feel comfortable having.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    mommylern5 wrote: »
    Larro: shower squats? Lmbo I can just see myself falling & breaking something doing that!

I have a big shower and not much time. So the two minutes you have to wait for the water to get warm is when I do my squats. I do 80 a day. I'm not sure how it started, but it works good for me.

• mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    larrodarro wrote: »
    mommylern5 wrote: »
    Larro: shower squats? Lmbo I can just see myself falling & breaking something doing that!

I have a big shower and not much time. So the two minutes you have to wait for the water to get warm is when I do my squats. I do 80 a day. I'm not sure how it started, but it works good for me.

Hey whatever works
  • JackieUnlimited
    Options
    That is actually a great idea! What else is there to do while waiting for the water to get warm?
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Morning Kids,

Hope all of you are well this Thursday morning. We are supposed to reach 70 degrees today and I am thrilled.

I did not work out yesterday, as I was entirely too sore from Monday's workout. Starting next week the gym is offering TRX on Wednesdays and I take that for awhile. I am starting to have some pain in my knees and I know it is from squatting with so much weight, lunges, box jumps in conjunction with the running. I have to save my knees for many more years to come. I often have to save myself from myself.....lol

Larro--You truly make your time count. I am sure you have inspired many people to do squats in the shower. As always, great pictures.

KellySue--Glad to read you are still hanging in there.

Beeps--I always look forward to what you are going to post.

Alf--shortly you will be on vacation...enjoy and relax

Sdereski--I await another grandbaby story.

3furballs--I have asked our gym to do a kettleball class. I really hope they do it. I enjoy it when I have a kettle ball circuit in extreme fit .

Jakieunlimited--You are taking the right course by bringing your own meal in case what they have is not what you desire.

Ruby---Thinking about you..Hugs to you

There is a luncheon today for those of us who won awards for various things. I have my own food since the caterers they utilize only offer a vegan option of rice and veggies. You would think with all the food allergies and sensitivities eateries would have a better selection of foods.

I have interval burn and my PT session today.

Have a great day everyone.

• Emmalusmom
    Emmalusmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Sorry I have been MIA for so long. I just didn't have anything postive to say so I kept quiet.
    I do still keep up with reading all the posts and there have been so many things happening that I don't think that I could address them all.

But I have started back walking for the past two weeks and it feels great! I hope to continue and have increase.

I hope that everyone keeps up all the good work that is going on around here.

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    Emmalu-great to see you again! Sounds like there are some challenges in life that are wearing you down. You do know that is also a venting forum right? As long as you are taking care of you, you will get through it.
    Carmel - as Beeps said, the crossfitter will move on/away. You are killing your workouts and should be so very proud of yourself! I know we all are.
    Beeps - good on you for saying something. I too get frustrated when there is too much cardio in a strength class. UGH! That is why I take STRENGTH, as I do enough cardio on my own. As soon as the instructor starts with "or you can jump, to make it harder....", in my head I am saying "pi$$ off", but I just ignore the jumping, hopping comments and concentrate on the weights.
    Larro - the pictures you put in my head. OY! ;)
    Alf - sincerely hope that back does NOT cause you grief on your vacation.
    tracey - bikini fear!? I have bathing suit FEAR!

Went to my workout class yesterday. We used the Bosu ball and weights. Good class! It certainly helps with your core strength and balance - another thing we need as we age.

Eating has been good this past week, as has been my water intake. Well, better with the water, but not great yet.

Bridge tonight, which means Dessert. Will have to make sure I have a real good eating / workout day.

OH - big news!!!! I have booked my vacation - flights / bike rental are done. Now, just to book my first night stay and I am good to fly. :) The bicycle rental company gave me 20% off, so it helped make my decision a bit easier. Now, to try and get some saddle time. We got a dumping of snow yesterday, so it is not going to happen any time soon.

Big curling bonspiel this weekend. Should be fun. Theme is Redneck...we are going as "The Real Housewives of Redneck County". What I had envisioned and what a couple of the girls are going to do is not the same....thought my idea was much funnier. They want to go sexy/trashy, whereas I wanted go in bear can rollers, house dresses, nylon knee highs and fluffy slippers. But, they're still young and of course they want to go sexy. :\ So, am wearing a fat suit plumber guy and will be the "guy" the housewives are all after. Oh yeah.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    larrodarro wrote: »
    Good Morning Cool Kids.

It's good to see everyone getting their workouts in. It's been weeks since I have done any kind of regular cardio other than my shower squats. Most days I'm getting plenty of Ranchero cardio though. I need to get the mowers going this morning. The grass up by the house is getting past the point Margie will ignore. Also the flowerbed has to be weeded before the volunteers get too big. Last year over half the flowers were from the season before. I will weed, then sprinkle a few seeds and be done with flower planting for the year.

I've been jamming out to old concerts on You Tube this morning while I'm doing my usual house cleaning duties. Especially the '83 show with Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ron Wood, Bill Wyman, Jan Hammer & Charlie Watts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcEW2dj6Dfk

It is amazing how young they all look. And how bad the video production was back then. Well not all of them look young. Joe Cocker just came on for a few songs, and he was showing the signs of hard living even way back then. A lot of those guys were making music before I was born, and I ain't no spring chicken. It's enough to make a body feel old if he were to stop and think about it. Luckily I have no time for that. Got to run. Hope everyone has a good day,

Larro

Now, that is MY kind of music!! Love all those great guys...with Joe Cocker and Jimmy Page being a couple of my favourites. :D Thanks for posting.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,935 Member
    Options
    sdereski wrote: »
    Beeps - good on you for saying something. I too get frustrated when there is too much cardio in a strength class. UGH! That is why I take STRENGTH, as I do enough cardio on my own. As soon as the instructor starts with "or you can jump, to make it harder....", in my head I am saying "pi$$ off", but I just ignore the jumping, hopping comments and concentrate on the weights.

...I always ignore the cardio portion of weight-classes. So, while all the peeps are doing their "clean and press" (with partial squatting....which is CARDIO folks, it is NOT STRENGTH!), I am standing their doing a curl-and-press without moving my lower body AT ALL.

• Beeps2011
    Options
    Emmalusmom wrote: »

Sorry I have been MIA for so long. I just didn't have anything postive to say so I kept quiet.
    I do still keep up with reading all the posts

I think it is not worthwhile to come to a forum and NOT participate! You have SOMETHING TO SAY....or you wouldn't be on mfp at all.

So, SAY IT!

We readers want to hear it!

BOOM!

• Beeps2011
    Options
    Starting next week the gym is offering TRX on Wednesdays and I take that for awhile. I am starting to have some pain in my knees and I know it is from squatting with so much weight, lunges, box jumps in conjunction with the running. I have to save my knees for many more years to come. I often have to save myself from myself.....lol

TRX will be a nice change!

Box jumps - don't ever do them. Just don't. Even the STRONGEST athletes I know, end up breaking an ankle or doing some sort of ligament/knee damage doing these.

Saving the knees is KEY. YOU GOT THIS!

BOOM!

• JackieUnlimited
    Options
    @caramelgyrlk‌ Thanks! We are both in the same boat today. My knees get really sore at times as well. When I did Zumba a couple of years ago took a couple of weeks and then they were fine. Combination of my weight and different movement. Would have the same now if I did it too.

@Emmalusmom‌ There is nothing wrong with taking that time for you. Looking forward to reading more from you and how your walks are going.

@sdereski‌ ‌The curling and the costumes sound like a ton of fun. I think you should go with your idea though, sounds like you'd enjoy that more.

So I made it through the breakfast this morning. Had scrambled eggs, a pice of whole wheat toast no butter, a couple pieces of bacon (man could I taste every piece of salt in that) and of course fruit and my coffee. I managed to stay away from all the baked goods they had. Surprised our VP when I told him I am down almost 5lbs this week already and I need to watch what I am eating.
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday Cool Kids!
    I just read all 121 posts that I missed over the last week. I couldn't believe I didn't check in for that long! Sorry!
    My new workout schedule is kicking my butt. I actually stayed home yesterday and worked in my bathrobe and slippers until noon! Totally needed a do-nothing day. It was great.
    Today is Thursday, so Hard CORE class at lunch. I'll be at the gym after work too. Today's strength workout is: Kettlebell swings, 1-leg dead lifts, push ups (I use the TRX straps), overhead presses, plank w/ shoulder taps and anti-rotation presses.
    Sdereski, your Holland trip sounds like it will be amazing! And northern lights! Those are on my bucket list. I've never seen them. I hear mid-winter is best.
    Caramel, you have been anihilating your workouts! Very awesome. Finallyh! Bye bye snow!! So sorry about the loss of your friend. Sending you comfort and strength.
    E's Mom, good to see you back on the thread.
    Alf, Iceland will be so great! I've only seen pictures from my friend's trip, but it looks gorgeous. She loved it. Said she could easily live there. When my back threatened me recently I did an entire morning of alternating hot pad an ice pack - 20 minutes each. It really helped.
    Beeps, thanks for helping me stay focused on lifting heavy things! Yikes - I'm not sure what a box jump is, but I promise not to do it!
    Larro, loving the pictures. The comment about unwashed grapes was hysterical. You're definitely an edgy kind of guy. And the kayak!!! Sounds like such fun paddling on the rivers there. I hope you find time between mowing to get on the water.
    I'm sorry I can't touch bases with each of you. There's a lot of great energy as always on this thread. So "hi everyone!" I hope you're all having a great day.
    Today's goal is lots of water.
    :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ah you guys are motivating me to workout!!!!! LOL I am in Miami Baby!!!! Well, havent seen anything yet. Got to the hotel but had to wait for a room so went to IHOP next door because my husband is always hungry. Proud to say I fasted for 16hrs and had a nice salad and lots of water. I had to skip my workout yesterday due to my back pain, feels a little better. I'm debating whether or not rest some more or just do something light. I brought a couple of exercise bands. The gym on the cruise is nice but I'm sure here is not that great, will see.

Are we still talking about Larro and his squats in the buff? LOL

Take care everyone!!!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    alf1163 wrote: »
    Are we still talking about Larro and his squats in the buff? LOL

Take care everyone!!!

The new guys deserve the scars that come with that mental image the rest of y'all are living with ;)

Have fun on your cruise.