April 2015 Bike Bicycle Cycling Challenge

Options

Replies

• T8tersMom
    T8tersMom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    04.01: 12 miles

No specific goal in mind. I just want to get moving! I just boughty first bike since jr high and couldn't be more excited to start riding!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    April 1 - rode 12.2 Kilometers for a duration of 0:30:00
    April 3 - rode 28.7 Kilometers for a duration of 1:07:20 (4 x 8 Zone 4 Intervals)

April Totals: 40.9 Kilometers - 01:37:20 hours

Training and riding in Deutschland continues...

• HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I rode 120 km in the first three months of this year. I hope to ride 80km in April. So far, about 25km done!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Friday 03 April -- 40.52 km. :)
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Friday April 3rd-9.21 miles @ 15.52 avg. Next time out increase the mileage to 10-12 miles. Thank god for energy shots!!!! :)
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Looking to do 500 miles or more this month.

4/2 - 22.5 miles

You can do it!
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have been doing some spinning this winter but April will kick off my REAL biking. Still have cold weather and snow on the ground though so hoping things warm up soon.

4/01 - 1hr spin - 16m
    4/02 - 1.25hr spin - 20m
    4/03 - 16 miles @ 16.3mph 800' climbing --- First outside ride of the year!

Total miles: 52m
    April goal: 300 miles
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'll jump in I ride at home normally 13- 20 miles a day depending on 45-60 minutes and level six days a week. I take a picture of the screen when I'm done to track it and it motivates me to do better the next day.

20866D8E-E989-4CDA-AB17-563AE41B6CD0_zps6okmpm61.jpg

• chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm using my bike to cycle home from work. I've been cycling the 16 km trip four or five days a week. I'm in new Zealand and we finish daylight saving this weekend. I'm a little worried about finishing my ride in the dark, but I'm really enjoying feeling fit (as well as the extra calorie burn) so I don't want to stop cycling over the winter. Any survival hints from regular night time cyclers?

There's a ton of variables that go into the light you pick. How long you're riding, the amount of traffic/ambient light, how often you want to recharge your light, what your backup plan if your light fails is, etc. Then there's lighting to see vs to be seen. I've passed on lights because they don't mount well due to my specific bike setup.

In general, there's no such thing as too much light or too much reflective gear. I suggest reflective tape, a reflective jacket or vest and that your bag catch and return as much light as possible. I suggest you go to a local higher end bike store at night. Ask them if you can try out some lights - just turn them on and see how far away they feel visible/noticeable to you. See how they illuminate the road and how much of your handlebar space they take up.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My success with commuting has been limited - I re-injured my knee (ACL and patellar ligament) and took a couple of weeks off because my PT thought I might irritate it. Riding is the only thing that makes it stop hurting for awhile, but I haven't dared hills yet.

I'll say my goal for the rest of the month is to improve the number of days I commute and to ease my way back into the fun-rollers version of my commute instead of the stop-and-go flats.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Whee! Just bought a new bike! 22 gears! Weighs about an ounce. lol Those aren't the right pedals. ha ha

ypanutx2gx6j.jpg
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Quick ride today, but every mile counts.

4/2 - 35 miles
    4/3 - 11 miles

Total: 46 miles
    Goal: 450 miles
    Remaining: 404 miles
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Any survival hints from regular night time cyclers?

i'm in canada and a fairly bike conscious city, so ymmv for where you are. but i do ride year-round and do a lot of it in the dark since our winters are very dark and very rainy.

so for what it's worth: front and rear blinkies are mandatory here from an hour before sunset and an hour after dawn. the couple of times i've forgotten them or had them run out of juice have convinced me that they do help, but my personal favourite thing is reflective taping. if i had to pick only one between lights and the tape, i'd take the tape every time, no question. for one thing it's REALLY visible compared with the lights, and much harder for drivers to not know what it means. and for another - very importantly - you can apply it all over your bike and wear equipment that has it as well, and that means you can be seen from just about any angle, which doesn't happen with lights.

the most respect i've ever gotten from drivers was when i was riding in one of those mesh safety vests that you see on work crews at the side of a road. people are pretty good about bikes around here anyway, but that was the only thing that's ever caused them to change actual lanes as they passed. it might look dorky, but not nearly as dorky as a brain injury or a shattered spine, so i'm all about it. it soaks up an amazing amount of rain too.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Bad start this week but aiming for 500 this month. Goal for fall is complete a century under 6 hours, shooting for 5 (Foxy's Davis, CA). Coming back after 24 year break and took more than 10 months to get back to the shape I was in when I started the sport 29 years ago. 12 more pounds to go before hitting the pavement hard to bring my FTP to respectable level; sounds like an eternity. I commute one way 3-4 times a week averaging 25 miles each trip and ride 35-45 miles ea on Saturdays & Sundays. And a century per month for last two with one planned each month thereafter until September before the official one.

4/1 - 15 miles
    4/2 - 15.1
    4/4 - 35.4
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    04/02 - 06.13 @ 17.0 mph
    04/03 - 07.09 @ 16.4 mph (AM Commute)
    04/03 - 12.18 @ 16.6 mph (PM Commute)
    04/04 - 13.18 @ 16.5 mph

MTD: 38.59
    GOAL: 300
  • corindeathawk
    corindeathawk Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The wind was ridiculous today but still better than trainer in the garage.

4/2 - 23.3 Miles
    4/4 - 35.2 Miles

Total - 58.5 Miles
    Target - 450 Miles
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    4/1 14.96 miles
    4/4 15.88 miles

Total 30.84
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Whee! Just bought a new bike! 22 gears! Weighs about an ounce. lol Those aren't the right pedals. ha ha

ypanutx2gx6j.jpg

She's a beaut. Congrats on the new wheels!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 15 miles
    4/2 - 15.1
    4/3 - 35.4
    4/4 - 41
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Nice slow ride with a neighbor today, with a stop for some tasty greek food mid-ride.

4/2 - 35 miles
    4/3 - 11 miles
    4/4 - 38 miles

Total: 84 miles
    Goal: 450 miles
    Remaining: 366 miles