the military diet

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've gotten good feedback on it from another site btw.

With all due respect, was that advice what you wanted to hear, as opposed to the majority of advice from MFP posters not being what you wanted to hear (except those who tell you to try it out)?

I vehemently encourage you to take a step back and really take notice and absorb the advice you don't want to hear. You want to lose weight in three days when it takes way longer than that to put it on.

Even if you are injured, you don't have to do some strange diet to keep losing weight, you just have to eat at a calorie deficit. Exercise is not mandatory for weight loss. There are lots of people who can't or don't exercise and they lose weight in a healthy and sustainable way and keep it off.

Trust the process of slow and sustainable instead of trying to get fast results.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Actually they have substitutes for foods if you don't like them/can't eat them or what not. I will be substituting for cottage cheese, because I absolutely can't stand the taste or texture,I just simply cannot eat it.

I've decided to try it! I'm going to do it M,T,W and then eat healthy the rest of the week. I'm going to do it for 3 weeks and see where I'm at.

My overall plan it to eat healthier, so I'm not freaking out over losing with this and then gaining it back from eating the way I have been. Thanks for all the help so far!
    I did a low calorie diet plus logging and having to be weighed/accountable to lose some of my weight. Then I realized many things, 1. It wasn't going to get me where I wanted to go because I would end up skinny fat and still not have the body I wanted. 2. It would not get me the fitness level I wanted or the strength. 3. I did NOT want to eat 1500 calories or less per day for the rest of my freaking life. To each his own I guess, but it is a lifestyle change not a quick fix that works in the end.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    karen0214 wrote: »
    Gypsychic, I say you should give the military diet a whirl and see how it goes for you. There is certainly nothing wrong with eliminating sugar and toxic chemical sweetners. The diet is pretty low cal, but it's only 3 days a week. I would just say you need to be careful not to go overboard on your eating the other 4 days of the week or you will negate the 3 restrictive days. And, if you exercise during those 3 restrictive days then you might need to eat a little more.

Different things work for different people. We are not all the same. Just because some others think you are doomed to failure does not make it so. I have a friend who has always maintained her weight very well by being somewhat restrictive during the week and then eating whatever she wants on the weekends. Different strokes for different folks. I wish you all the best.

She'll be eating ice cream and hot dogs.

Eliminating sugar and toxic chemikillz. RIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTT.
    I wasn't aware my food had toxic chemicals, unless somebody is sneaking me doses of arsenic I don't know about.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Gypsychic, I say you should give the military diet a whirl and see how it goes for you. There is certainly nothing wrong with eliminating sugar and toxic chemical sweetners. The diet is pretty low cal, but it's only 3 days a week. I would just say you need to be careful not to go overboard on your eating the other 4 days of the week or you will negate the 3 restrictive days. And, if you exercise during those 3 restrictive days then you might need to eat a little more.

Different things work for different people. We are not all the same. Just because some others think you are doomed to failure does not make it so. I have a friend who has always maintained her weight very well by being somewhat restrictive during the week and then eating whatever she wants on the weekends. Different strokes for different folks. I wish you all the best.

Eliminating sugar and toxic chemikillz. RIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTT.
    I wasn't aware my food had toxic chemicals, unless somebody is sneaking me doses of arsenic I don't know about.

I wasn't saying those foods had toxic chemicals. The poster I was quoting was talking about the diet like it was "clean", and knowing how "clean" eaters think, I was just pointing those two foods out to her.

I eat ice cream on the regular. I pass on the hot dogs since I'm a vegetarian, but have nothing against them.

• karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Yep.

Karen, you're advising someone to do an unsustainable fad diet.

SLLRunner, I am not "advising" the OP to do anything. I simply said she should give it a whirl and see how it goes. I also pointed out that it was low cal, which she obviously already knows. I also said that if she exercised on those 3 days that she should eat a little more food. Somehow I just don't believe the OP is an idiot. She simply asked if anyone had heard of this diet, asked if it was hard and if anyone got results. Now practically everyone on here has gone totally bonkers! In my opinion, based on what she has said, she's hoping to get a jumpstart on this 15 or 20 lbs she needs to lose and doing this "military diet" is a short term way to do it. She has enough sense to know she isn't going to do it forever. I think I recall her saying she would do it for about 3 weeks.

Just because she is choosing to try something that others think she shouldn't do, then most everyone is saying such demeaning, sarcastic, hateful things. She is an adult and she has a right to make her own choices. This diet is not going to kill her if she does it for a total of 9 days in 3 weeks time! I'm sure she can see that it is not sustainable for long-term and that she will have to figure out a way to maintain her loss. Maybe I'm the only one giving her credit for having a brain!
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I also don't understand why anyone would want to go on this when you COULD just eat at a slight deficit and invest time and eat what you like. Have been using MFP and down 62 lbs... over 2 years... no quick fix. I am also someone who wants "structured" eating... but I just kind of made my own structure. Why would someone choose otherwise?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Yep.

SLLRunner, I am not "advising" the OP to do anything. I simply said she should give it a whirl and see how it goes. I also pointed out that it was low cal, which she obviously already knows. I also said that if she exercised on those 3 days that she should eat a little more food. Somehow I just don't believe the OP is an idiot. She simply asked if anyone had heard of this diet, asked if it was hard and if anyone got results. Now practically everyone on here has gone totally bonkers! In my opinion, based on what she has said, she's hoping to get a jumpstart on this 15 or 20 lbs she needs to lose and doing this "military diet" is a short term way to do it. She has enough sense to know she isn't going to do it forever. I think I recall her saying she would do it for about 3 weeks.

Just because she is choosing to try something that others think she shouldn't do, then most everyone is saying such demeaning, sarcastic, hateful things. She is an adult and she has a right to make her own choices. This diet is not going to kill her if she does it for a total of 9 days in 3 weeks time! I'm sure she can see that it is not sustainable for long-term and that she will have to figure out a way to maintain her loss. Maybe I'm the only one giving her credit for having a brain!

You started off with hyperbole about toxins and progressed to one of the most condescending posts yet. Your white knighting is showing you to be guilty of the very things you accuse others of doing.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwagar123 wrote: »
    I also don't understand why anyone would want to go on this when you COULD just eat at a slight deficit and invest time and eat what you like. Have been using MFP and down 62 lbs... over 2 years... no quick fix. I am also someone who wants "structured" eating... but I just kind of made my own structure. Why would someone choose otherwise?

This is how I feel.

But I think the appeal of diets like this is that people buy into the idea (or at these hope it turns out to be true) that if you eat the hotdogs with the saltines with the broccoli on the one day and the other combinations on the other, that they will be able to lose 10 lbs in 3 days of dieting.

There's a crazy amount of magical thinking around dieting. That's why you get stuff like "I ate 3 gummy bears, will that prevent weight loss"?
  • gypsychic33
    gypsychic33 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Yep.

Thank you! You got it exactly right :)

Everybody seems to be freaking out like I think this is some miracle thing and I'm going to do it
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    Forever! No no no not at all! Just seems like a good way to jump start.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Bodies are not dead car batteries ... they do not need jump starts, kick starts, revving up, etc.
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    Yes, but mentally l do! !
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Nobody is freaking out

It's just what it is ..and it's the continuous merry-go-round that many would like to see others step off

Good luck
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Yep.

Karen,

I don't subscribe to this notion of "jump starting" anything but a dead battery on a car. I mean, really--what does that even mean in terms of weight loss?

As for the bold part: that is your perception, I just see a whole lot of honesty based on experience here. I would rather tell the truth based on my own experience rather than sugar coat it so as not to offend somebody or hurt the OP's feelings.

Of course she has the right to make her own choices, but she did ask a certain question. She also got plenty of answers.

Finally, nobody said she didn't have a brain, and nobody even implied it. Again ,that's all in your perception.

You were, and are, advocating that she try this diet, which is bogus and unsustainable. Really, there is no jump starting weight loss. You just make a plan to do it, find a way to create that calorie deficit, and then take it one day at a time, one meal at a time, and do the best you can.

This all comes from the a girl with a history of doing everything under the sun to jump start weight loss and metabolism only to find all she needed to do was eat the foods she loves at a calorie deficit. :)

• SLLRunner
    Options

Yep.

Thank you! You got it exactly right :)

Everybody seems to be freaking out like I think this is some miracle thing and I'm going to do it
    I'm afraid she got it wrong.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Forever! No no no not at all! Just seems like a good way to jump start.

What are you jump starting?

What is this "jump starting" supposed to do?
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    Jump starting my mentality! I never said otherwise, read my above post....
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    The more of this thread I read, the more Strother Martin comes to mind.
  • SLLRunner
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes, but mentally l do! !

Okay, so now we're getting somewhere. It seems to me you are saying you're having a hard time getting into the mindset of dieting, or setting up a calorie deficit for yourself. Correct?

A mindset prepared to diet and to change eating lifestyles does not come about in the type of diet you eat, or even in doing one of these very low calorie diets. It comes in changing your relationship with food. In other words, you must realize that it's not the type of diet, or the type of foods you choose, that cause weight gain, it's the general over consumption.

I challenge you take a week, weigh your food, log everything you eat, log your exercise calories and eat about half back, and see how it goes with accuracy. Then, I challenge you to do it another week, and another week, and then after four weeks come back and tell us how it's going.

By the way, what is your height and weight? I see you only have 11 pounds to lose. How much do you eat now?
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    What a joke of a plan...seriously, just count your calories properly and go to the gym and work your *kitten* off and you wouldn't have to worry about this and while your at it, consider it your new lifestyle instead of calling it a "diet"