the military diet

Options

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    What a stupid "diet." It looks like someone just went through their kitchen and said "a little of this, a little of that..." of the most boring and bland food they could find. I'd rather just have smaller portions of food that tastes good, but I'm crazy like that.

Also, anything that says you can lose 10 lbs a week is bad and bad and bad. (I'd think of more descriptive adjectives here, but I'm tired and I don't care)

As for the "military" part, what nonsense. The military is all about getting as many calories and nutrition as possible into a densely packed MRE. My husband is active duty and he'd pass out on that diet.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Good thing I'm only doing it for a brief period of time :smiley:

I don't really see it as any different than intermittent fasting, which a lot of people do... just my opinion

I disagree. IF is based on having lower calories on certain days, but always meeting your calorie goals on other days, and it is structured to meet you macros. IF is long term sustainable, Military is not.

No foods have magic properties and they DO NOT speed up metabolism. The only reason you would lose weight on this diet is because it's VERY LOW CALORIES.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Good thing I'm only doing it for a brief period of time :smiley:

I don't really see it as any different than intermittent fasting, which a lot of people do... just my opinion

So your opinion is based on ignoring fact?
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yeah... No. IF is entirely sustainable if the person doing it doesn't use it as an excuse for a VLCD. I do IF, of the 14/10 variety. What I liked about is was that it eliminated the worst of my bad habits (nighttime snacking) while being completely sustainable. I don't have to avoid any foods. I don't have to cut calories to an unsustainable level. I just have to eat at certain hours, and then it's my decision to make good healthy choices about what I eat.
  • gypsychic33
    gypsychic33 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Dinner was honestly really good also. Should have cooked the green beans because they were boring to me, but over all filling and great. I saved the ice cream and Apple for awhile later.
  • blakexx3
    blakexx3 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've never done it but my mom has multiples times. She uses it more as a detox/cleansing after a vacation or holidays. I wouldn't recommend it as a sustainable diet - the menu is pretty limiting and will likely lead you feeling deprived.
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    blaketoben wrote: »
    I've never done it but my mom has multiples times. She uses it more as a detox/cleansing after a vacation or holidays. I wouldn't recommend it as a sustainable diet - the menu is pretty limiting and will likely lead you feeling deprived.

I'm only planning on doing it for 3 weeks :)
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    blaketoben wrote: »

In the meantime I'll eat a real military diet which includes real food, beer, and not the laughable combinations you're eating on your oft failed fad plan.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options

I'm only planning on doing it for 3 weeks :)[/quote]

Three weeks I thought it was a three day diet?
  • gypsychic33
    Options

Three weeks I thought it was a three day diet? [/quote]

It's three days on and 4 off for three weeks
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Anyone tried the military diet before? Experiences? Was it hard and did it work? ?

I always get mixed feelings about people joining MFP a calorie counting site. And promoting a fad diet.
    Cant help it.

And she ask for experiences etc and when she gets them and advice to not do it. She is going to do it, and knows it all better. I always think that is so strange...why ask in the first place?

I stick to my system CICO that made me lose 80 pounds in 166 days till now.

But i am doing it all wrong of course.

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Ive honestly heard enough how do I unfollow a thread? (Still figuring the small stuff out)
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    Anyone tried the military diet before? Experiences? Was it hard and did it work? ?

I always get mixed feelings about people joining MFP a calorie counting site. And promoting a fad diet.
    Cant help it.

And she ask for experiences etc and when she gets them and advice to not do it. She is going to do it, and knows it all better. I always think that is so strange...why ask in the first place?

I stick to my system CICO that made me lose 80 pounds in 166 days till now.

But i am doing it all wrong of course.

No one said you were doing it wrong. Good for you for losing weight.

I've heard good things elsewhere.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Where is "elsewhere"?
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My husband has been active duty for the past 15 years, if he ate like this there is no way he could perform his duties!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Where is "elsewhere"?

If you look hard enough you'll find good reviews on just about any product :wink:

• gypsychic33
    Options
    Day 2 has gone well too!

Just making supper now.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Day 2 has gone well too!

Just making supper now.

Good for you! Hopefully it works for you and you can sustain any weight loss that might happen :smile:
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    Day three, not so good. I ate my breakfast and lunch, but I'm so stressed out because of my living situation and my job that I just can't do supper. I'm the type that if I'm stressed I can't eat :( barely choked down lunch, almost didn't have it, but my friends at work forced me to...

On the plus side, I've never been light headed on this diet and I haven't felt starved. Going to have to figure out what to eat tomorrow.