The "Food Babe" Blogger Is Full of Crap

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    LCloops wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    amcook4 wrote: »
    I know many people who have been banned from her facebook page, most because they asked "why" and for science to back her up. Instead of having an adult conversation (which would show she doesn't know what she is talking about) she just blocks people. Real mature, right?

I have been banned from her facebook page... I'm going to guess it's because I called her a hypocrite because of her "shill" finger pointing... as she is a shill for many a "natural and organic" products...

But it's ok for her to hock over priced juice and other products because "her heart is in the right place"... this would be true if the "right place" was in the willfully ignorant peoples wallets.

Yup, but those of us that choose a scientific career are lying if we say it was to help people. We obviously want POWER!

Now let me go write my scientist congressperson......oh...wait....

Made me think of this:

tumblr_m9gd7kka5V1qfvso1o1_r1_250.gif

tumblr_m9gd7kka5V1qfvso1o2_r1_400.gif

tumblr_m9gd7kka5V1qfvso1o3_r2_500.gif

Ha! NDT is my physics crush!
    Neil DT is so cool I saw him on 60 minutes last weekend...I really want to go and listen to him speak...again this whole topic makes me so glad I don't FB! I had never even heard of the whoever babe until now and I am like what...??

I love listening to him speak. I've started watching Cosmos just because he is the host. He makes it so interesting!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    DaneanP wrote: »
    LoL, I feel the same way CJG. I've only been on the board for a few weeks and initially I was nervous I would find nothing but woo (especially reading thread titles - Isagenex, Cleanse of the Week, Juicing/Fasting) but thankfully I have been very pleasantly surprised for the most part.

I have been fighting, FIGHTING I say to not respond to each and every "cleanse" post with "THATS WHAT YOUR LIVER AND KIDNEYS ARE FOR!!!!!"

Many of us "old timers" have done that so many times over the years that most of us have just given up saying that here...
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    Bukawww wrote: »
    I loved this. And Crazyjerseygirl.. you are right on. and its sad. because it's often those who have no choice in those decisions that suffer(unvaccinated kids).

And OH NO!! there's nitrogen in the air and acetic acid in your salad!! loved it!

Yup! And dihydrogen monoxide in your body! *gasp!*

The vaccination thing really irks me. My sons best friend can't get MMR for medical reasons, so now his parents get to live in fear because of dopes who prefer disbarred doctors and playboy bunnies to actual science. :(

If her son can't be vaccinated, then he is part of the problem - however he somehow gets a pass because you know his parents personally and understand their reasoning for not vaccinating. Parents that choose to under vaccinate or not at all just MIGHT have a good reason that doesn't seem obvious to people like you who like to clump everyone in the same box...very few people who do not vaccinate these days actually care about autism or Jenny McCarthy, FYI. You never know why parents choose not to vaccinate...but I'm sure you don't care about that and prefer to assume you know everything about everyone and their motives.

Uh huh
    There's legit medical reasons like albumin allergies (this boy), immune disorders, bad familial reaction and probably a few others of which I am unawares.

Then there are the scientifically illiterate who fear autism, Hg, viruses or just are on a bandwagon because it's cool. If you're in the latter category hell yeah I judge you, you're a dope.

No pro-vaxxer in their right mind has ANYTHING against the former group remaining unvaxed, its just dolts like to conflate the two to make us look bad. Shame on you.

Just an FYI - some of us are reactive to thimerosal (the mercuric-ion-containing compound). And as I've found, finding a thimerosal-free dose is an exercise in futility some years. Other years, it's no big deal. So if someone says they're not getting vaxxed because of mercury, it isn't necessarily because of irrational fear. (But more than likely it is.)

Besides, the success rate of protection with the flu vax is really poor. I personally wouldn't get that particular vaccine unless I was in a high risk category or worked around those in a high risk category. That is, if I had a choice that would let me keep my job, which I don't. Partly that's because every year I've had the vaccine, I've gotten the flu. And no, I'm not thinking I got the flu from the vax, either. Before being required to get the vax, I hadn't had the flu in at least a decade. Makes me suspect that I'm a poor responder and the thing is completely useless for me other than to make me feel like I've been kicked by a horse for a week, and give me a golf ball-sized lump at the injection site.

Yeah I know folks have sensitivities/allergies to other things in vaccines, and you would obviously fall under the legit reasons category, as would your kids if you decided not to vax them due to your history.

And the flu vax is weird, I only recently started getting it (toddler) but I get why some ppl don't. I tend not to lump the flu vax with other childhood ones since it's dealt with so differently, though there is work going into a universal which is exciting.

But yeah, most Hg fearing ppl I've heard from are scared because OMG Hg! Which is the same as saying OMG Cl! To table salt.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    peter56765 wrote: »
    Here is Science Babe's response to Fraud Broad's response:

Ms. Hari has already made false claims about me on her website.

Is anybody shocked?

One of us stuck to the facts. The other one made up some *kitten*.

To clear the air, I was not fired from my previous position as a research chemist. The company I was at had a rough two years fiscally and I was one of the last hired. I am re-hireable and was in good standing at my last company when I left. It was confirmed by management at the company that It had nothing to do with my writing. That was fabrication on the part of whoever sent her that email.

It was entirely libelous of her to publish that and I demand a retraction or she will be contacted by my lawyer.

Your move, Vani.

Love this.

What's sad is that even if the Food Babe does get sued into oblivion, there will be a half a dozen more like her waiting in the wings to take her place. We need to go after the head of the snake: Dr. Oz, we're coming for you!

The head of that particular snake is Oprah. She's foisted Dr Oz, Dr Phil AND Deepak Chopra on us!

That's not even to mention people like Dr. Mercola as well... and all the natural living blogs... if you want to see a similar but different kind o' crazy you should check out Modern Alternative Mama's facebook page... she's just as crazy and lacking in science.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    I thought MAM left FB. She was the victim, of course. *roll eyes*
  • crazyjerseygirl

Is anybody shocked?

To clear the air, I was not fired from my previous position as a research chemist. The company I was at had a rough two years fiscally and I was one of the last hired. I am re-hireable and was in good standing at my last company when I left. It was confirmed by management at the company that It had nothing to do with my writing. That was fabrication on the part of whoever sent her that email.

It was entirely libelous of her to publish that and I demand a retraction or she will be contacted by my lawyer.

Your move, Vani.

Love this.

What's sad is that even if the Food Babe does get sued into oblivion, there will be a half a dozen more like her waiting in the wings to take her place. We need to go after the head of the snake: Dr. Oz, we're coming for you!

The head of that particular snake is Oprah. She's foisted Dr Oz, Dr Phil AND Deepak Chopra on us!

That's not even to mention people like Dr. Mercola as well... and all the natural living blogs... if you want to see a similar but different kind o' crazy you should check out Modern Alternative Mama's facebook page... she's just as crazy and lacking in science.

Ever see/hear Tim Minchin's "Storm"?
    Highly suggest it if only for one line:

"You know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work? Medicine. "
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Yep, holy crap she's still there! I swear I read this big flounce post that she was leaving FB and starting a blog for "like-minded people" a few months back. Yeah, she's certifiable.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Unfortunately humans suck at truth detection. Many things like repetition, fear, and other strong emotions produce illusions of truth or untruth. The result is that there is no relationship between how convincing something is and how true it is. But we're also hard-wired to completely trust in the infallibility of our own truth-detecting abilities, maybe because second-guessing one's judgment all the time would result in poor survival skills. So using evidence-based reasoning requires real humility to understand just how wrong our instincts are, as well as the intelligence to actually implement it.

And unfortunately, most people do not possess both of these, so it's always going to be difficult to impossible for many people to figure out what is or isn't true. There are always going to be people whose only choice is to believe whatever someone else told them, whether it's because the message sounds convincing or because the messenger is charismatic, or whatever.

Science can allow some of us to make progress and drag the rest along for the ride, but it cannot prevent stupid people from believing stupid things.

tldr; derpers gonna derp.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member

Is anybody shocked?

Your move, Vani.

Love this.

Ever see/hear Tim Minchin's "Storm"?
    Highly suggest it if only for one line:

"You know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work? Medicine. "

I love both Tim Minchin and science. It's a winning combination.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    " derpers gonna derp."

This needs to be on a tee shirt.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    I'm bored at work today, therefore intensively researching this Food Babe. I'm a big fan of this quote from her website (regarding the PSL):
    But first, I want to mention that I get riled up when restaurants refuse to disclose their ingredients, because we have the right to know what we are eating and drinking.

I.... is someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to drink the latte?
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    LoL, I feel the same way CJG. I've only been on the board for a few weeks and initially I was nervous I would find nothing but woo (especially reading thread titles - Isagenex, Cleanse of the Week, Juicing/Fasting) but thankfully I have been very pleasantly surprised for the most part.

I have been fighting, FIGHTING I say to not respond to each and every "cleanse" post with "THATS WHAT YOUR LIVER AND KIDNEYS ARE FOR!!!!!"
    Well, maybe you (and other educated people) should sometimes speak up, even if it seems fruitless at the time. Because I, for example, was once one of those people who thought "cleanses" were beneficial, because I had read it somewhere (I never tried one though).
    I know better by now of course, but there are many (too many) out there who are still fooled by the pseudo science. And like they say, "Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force but through persistence".
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    edited April 2015

Well, maybe you (and other educated people) should sometimes speak up, even if it seems fruitless at the time. Because I, for example, was once one of those people who thought "cleanses" were beneficial, because I had read it somewhere (I never tried one though).
    I know better by now of course, but there are many (too many) out there who are still fooled by the pseudo science. And like they say, "Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force but through persistence".

I'm one of those who will speak up. There are tons of people who try to impart some science, advice, and information regarding how useless and unnecessary cleanses and detoxes are.

Unfortunately, many people coming to the forums, asking for advice on cleanses don't REALLY want the advice. They want to be told that whatever they want to do is golden, will result in mass amounts of weight loss, rainbows will fly out of their *kitten*, cancer will be cured, they will be able to eat whatever they want and not gain a pound, angels will sing, and the mean people of MFP will go jump off a bridge. (ETA: And that all of their toxinz will be magically removed from their bodies.)
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Just have to say... this thread is a breath of fresh air on the internet. It gives me so much hope that not everyone that cares about health is being duped by this stuff! lol
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Unfortunately humans suck at truth detection.

I don't agree with this. IMO it's more accurate to say humans excel at ignoring the truth when it's not what they want to hear.

• Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Its so funny how I don't care lol.
  • crazyjerseygirl

Thanks, it is good to hear that!
    My issue with challenging cleanses has little to do with the people, it has to do with me. I cannot respond to every unscientific argument I see, it just wears me down. Despite all the silliness and joking on here it really does hurt to be called a shill, or a poisoner, or have your facts rejected because you're an expert. I went into science so I could make medicine, lots of people translate that to "you want to keep people sick for your own profit" and that just plain hurts.

I only put myself out there for attack when the subject includes the mistreatment or misteaching of children, so anti science in education and antivax nutters. I let the grown ups fend for themselves.

And on that note, HUZZAH! For your scientific literacy! As NDT says, being literate in science gives you a BS detector!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Unfortunately humans suck at truth detection.

I don't agree with this. IMO it's more accurate to say humans excel at ignoring the truth when it's not what they want to hear.

I think what was meant that our senses were not evolved to figure out quantum mechanics, evolution, etc. we need the tool of the scientific method to find those truths.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Unfortunately humans suck at truth detection. Many things like repetition, fear, and other strong emotions produce illusions of truth or untruth. The result is that there is no relationship between how convincing something is and how true it is. But we're also hard-wired to completely trust in the infallibility of our own truth-detecting abilities, maybe because second-guessing one's judgment all the time would result in poor survival skills. So using evidence-based reasoning requires real humility to understand just how wrong our instincts are, as well as the intelligence to actually implement it.

And unfortunately, most people do not possess both of these, so it's always going to be difficult to impossible for many people to figure out what is or isn't true. There are always going to be people whose only choice is to believe whatever someone else told them, whether it's because the message sounds convincing or because the messenger is charismatic, or whatever.

Science can allow some of us to make progress and drag the rest along for the ride, but it cannot prevent stupid people from believing stupid things.

tldr; derpers gonna derp.

I :heart: this post so much.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Bukawww wrote: »
    Its so funny how I don't care lol.

Speaking here as a person on immune suppressants...

It would violate the CG to type what I'd really like to say to you.