Women Should Train Differently Then Men

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I didn't read all the reply's, sorry if this is a repeat.

My take on suggesting training in this way is the concept that muscle burns more calories. Our largest muscle groups happen to be the lower half of our bodies, so by training those muscle groups more heavily you'll burn more calories as those muscles develop. That's just where my head went with this. I'm not sure why it would be more specific to women than men other than women don't like to work out their upper body as much in fear of bulking up. Oh the many myths of weight training lol Just my thoughts.

Thank you ! lol You got exactly what my point was ... I never said the program was right but that's the same concept I gathered watching the video lol

Right, but the concept is wrong. That's the main point.

Ok, so that's fine. Anything else I haven't been told ?

What are your goals?

Maybe you don't know how exactly to answer that, so here are a few others:
    Do you just want to lose fat?
    Is that your only goal at the moment?
    Are you looking to have a fit physique in the end or just be thinner?
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    FWIW... I like being built like a tank. My kids like it too, cuz I'm their human jungle gym. :smile:

I, for one, would totally climb those abs. Just sayin'.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    _KitKat_ wrote: »
    Reading the op and a few pages back, it is amazing me that you have some of the most knowledgeable people on MFP offering you advise and you refuse to state your goals.

Maybe women should train different than men...I lift and my husband prefers cardio.

well, we know who wears the pants in that family....

:) LOL

for the record that is a joke....
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

My take on suggesting training in this way is the concept that muscle burns more calories. Our largest muscle groups happen to be the lower half of our bodies, so by training those muscle groups more heavily you'll burn more calories as those muscles develop. That's just where my head went with this. I'm not sure why it would be more specific to women than men other than women don't like to work out their upper body as much in fear of bulking up. Oh the many myths of weight training lol Just my thoughts.

Thank you ! lol You got exactly what my point was ... I never said the program was right but that's the same concept I gathered watching the video lol

The concept is incorrect though and since women have weaker upper bodies it will leave an even greater imbalance.

Hey!

How many times do I have to ask you not to move the computer into the kitchen?!?

ETA: I'm trying to fix dinner and the laptop is right in the middle of my food prep area!

wait, you are a female??????????

Don't worry.

It isn't gay if you didn't know at the time...

...er, I mean, *isn't not* gay.

Wait, what? Now I'm confused...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Hello All, so I am a huge YouTube junkie and I just watched a video from Sixpackshortcuts and Andrea Albright (both who are awesome!) which talked about how women should specifically strength train the lower half of their body ... glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves more so than upper body. The concept is building these muscles will eliminate fat from all over the body. Which I LOVE to lift weights and I am going to give this a try ... I just wanted to see what everyone thought about this ?

Their suggestion for a workout plan was like this:

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 2 - Hamstrings / Core
    Day 3 - Upper Body (all muscles)
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Now, they structured this to give women a fit toned sleek look with curves... so what do you all think ?

Reminder: Women, you won't get bulky lifting weights unless you take steroids and that's your goal. We simply don't create enough Testosterone to enhance our muscles the size of men's unless you take some type of muscle enhancer ...

Just though I'd clear that up :)
    Hello All, so I am a huge YouTube junkie and I just watched a video from Sixpackshortcuts and Andrea Albright (both who are awesome!) which talked about how women should specifically strength train the lower half of their body ... glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves more so than upper body. The concept is building these muscles will eliminate fat from all over the body. Which I LOVE to lift weights and I am going to give this a try ... I just wanted to see what everyone thought about this ?

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Now, they structured this to give women a fit toned sleek look with curves... so what do you all think ?

Reminder: Women, you won't get bulky lifting weights unless you take steroids and that's your goal. We simply don't create enough Testosterone to enhance our muscles the size of men's unless you take some type of muscle enhancer ...

I workout a lot and I feel tht this is a good concept because women are not men. There body structure is totally different from men. Genetically they are different. Women should focus on the lower half more because that is where most of the weight is. And they won't be built like a tank. For most morons who said that. Also I believe that people should work out any way they want. If people don't like what someone else says just don't comment. All you trolls out there who would bring another person down just for asking a question should really think why they are doing that. Most of you people probably don't even workout, you just do cardio all day thinking that that is the key. But like arnold said" don't listen to the naysayers". Danielle you got my vote. Keep up the good work and don't let any of these *kitten* tell you otherwise.

so you are saying a training program that is 3:1 legs over upper body is superior????????

so when someone has arms like a twig and a rear like Ice T's girlfriend Coco or whatever her name is, you think that is a good look?

No, but I'm saying when you wanna train te way you want that it is ok. You can't nicely put comments on here without being an *kitten*.
    Anyone can train the way they want. When the OP ask's "what do you think?", opinions will most certainly come in and perceived as being aggressive.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

The concept is incorrect though and since women have weaker upper bodies it will leave an even greater imbalance.

Hey!

How many times do I have to ask you not to move the computer into the kitchen?!?

ETA: I'm trying to fix dinner and the laptop is right in the middle of my food prep area!

Ironically, I lift and my boyfriend doesn't. He also does most of the cooking. Although he fixes cars and I do the cleaning.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

What are your goals?

Maybe you don't know how exactly to answer that, so here are a few others:
    Do you just want to lose fat?
    Is that your only goal at the moment?
    Are you looking to have a fit physique in the end or just be thinner?

Or do you want to be stronger?
    Perhaps more stamina when moving heavy things around?
    Or just more stamina for hiking...or shopping at the mall?

So many possible goals you could have...that would drastically affect what advice you would be given...but maybe you could just tell everyone instead of having us guess...because the possibilities are seemingly endless.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Get a book called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women."

I also recommend this book. Even if you don't follow the given program, you'll learn a lot.

Thank you, I appreciate it !

I feel like I said that back on page one...did the OP even read?

Yup, I'm out.
  • Danielle721007
    Danielle721007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

if you really want some solid advice, it would be nice to know what your goals are....

Well my goals are simple to lose an excess amount of body fat. I want to lose fat, not just weight for the number on the scale and add muscle. Right now, I am following my calorie deficient goal and clean eating. I am exercising 5 times a week and this is my current break down.
    Day 1 - Chest / Tricep
    Day 2 - Bicep / Shoulder
    Day 3 - Upper and Lower Back
    Day 4 - Legs
    Day 5 - Cardio / Abs

Days 6 and 7 are Active Rest days.

(And while I know I am going to be critiqued on how my work outs are set up - it is what it is)

I am heavier in my lower half of my body which is why I found the video interesting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Hey!

Ironically, I lift and my boyfriend doesn't. He also does most of the cooking. Although he fixes cars and I do the cleaning.
    LOL samsies- I'm beyond sure my arms and quads are bigger than his- but that's not why I love him LOL

BF dearest (when he works out- whole other topic) does body weight stuff and cardio- he makes me sad sometimes- but it's his choice. I cook for myself- but he cooks when he visits- and actually does all the car stuff- and big cleaning tasks- I just make sure the house isn't a complete wreck when he is here visiting.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

I workout a lot and I feel tht this is a good concept because women are not men. There body structure is totally different from men. Genetically they are different. Women should focus on the lower half more because that is where most of the weight is. And they won't be built like a tank. For most morons who said that. Also I believe that people should work out any way they want. If people don't like what someone else says just don't comment. All you trolls out there who would bring another person down just for asking a question should really think why they are doing that. Most of you people probably don't even workout, you just do cardio all day thinking that that is the key. But like arnold said" don't listen to the naysayers". Danielle you got my vote. Keep up the good work and don't let any of these *kitten* tell you otherwise.

so you are saying a training program that is 3:1 legs over upper body is superior????????

so when someone has arms like a twig and a rear like Ice T's girlfriend Coco or whatever her name is, you think that is a good look?

No, but I'm saying when you wanna train te way you want that it is ok. You can't nicely put comments on here without being an *kitten*.

I am not the one swearing, you are...

so you agree that it is an inferior training program, but its OK for woman, because they are woman???

I think the point is we're genetically inferior.
    I believe you mean "physically" inferior. There are lots and lots of females out there who have better genetics than some males.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

if you really want some solid advice, it would be nice to know what your goals are....

Well my goals are simple to lose an excess amount of body fat. I want to lose fat, not just weight for the number on the scale and add muscle. Right now, I am following my calorie deficient goal and clean eating. I am exercising 5 times a week and this is my current break down.
    Day 1 - Chest / Tricep
    Day 2 - Bicep / Shoulder
    Day 4 - Legs
    Day 5 - Cardio / Abs

(And while I know I am going to be critiqued on how my work outs are set up - it is what it is)

I am heavier in my lower half of my body which is why I found the video interesting.

^ does that program incorporate compound movements = squat, deadlift, barbell bench press, etc..

Is it a structured one, or did you design it on your own?
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP, now you brought in clean eating....lmao ...runs....ducks....and hides while eating ice cream.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Do you even BroScience?

Thats OP from her alt account obvs

Actually I'm my own person but I believe that people missed the concept. She's not going to train only legs. She just asked about an idea and needed help. That's all. Just answer the questions without being an *kitten*. This is the problem wih our society and yes I can probably lift more than you :)

we can't answer her question and give her good advice without knowing what her goal was- she threw out there some hookey video and an opinion- and then said "i"m trying to learn and I'm new at this"

here we are- asking what her specific goal is- so we can give her specific FREE advice- and she is deciding she's raging quitting instead of allowing us to help.

All she has to do is say
    Tone up- in which case we can happily correct that myth
    get stronger
    lose fat
    be awesome
    run a marathon
    look good naked

but we can't just ASSUME her goal is to lose fat/get strong/build muscle whatever.

And no- women shouldn't train differently than man- you're full of bull. training where most of your weight is is stupid.

Oh oh oh! *waves*

I'm just here to look good naked.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    _KitKat_ wrote: »
    OP, now you brought in clean eating....lmao ...runs....ducks....and hides while eating ice cream.

I saw that too, but really, there's nothing wrong with clean eating... it's only when clean eating causes people to go postal because they need a little dirty. Some people love it, some people (like myself), need a little of the naughty from time to time.

As long as she is accurately weighing and logging her food, and is at a reasonable deficit... it'll work.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

I am not the one swearing, you are...

so you agree that it is an inferior training program, but its OK for woman, because they are woman???

I think the point is we're genetically inferior.
    I believe you mean "physically" inferior. There are lots and lots of females out there who have better genetics than some males.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Dude, that is 100% not at all what I meant and given the current company you are in, you should be 100% horrified you said that.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Wait a second....So if I run I can't saying that I worked out!!???? AWWW crap, this whole time I thought I was working out...:/
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Day 1 - Chest / Tricep
    Day 2 - Bicep / Shoulder
    Day 4 - Legs
    Day 5 - Cardio / Abs

This is a much better program than what the video posts. Compound movements are better than isolation movements for the goal you're trying to reach.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Stopped at "six pack short cuts"
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Ilikelamps wrote: »

Day 1 - Glutes
    Day 4 - Quads / Core
    Day 5 - Glutes

Wait a second....So if I run I can't saying that I worked out!!???? AWWW crap, this whole time I thought I was working out...:/

Lol - or don't listen to people who don't know what they are talking about...thats the easier play ;)