Women Should Train Differently Then Men

Options

Replies

• jbsterks
    jbsterks Posts: 8
    Options
    Why can't everyone train the way they want to train?

I when I go to the gym, I'm working for MY goals. I'm glad you're at the gym too, don't get me wrong; but you have a different set of goals, so you're working to meet those... don't try to rise (or sink) to my level! Stay at your own!!

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Poor niner seems to be having a hard time making this clear to all the wounded female feelings out there: He did not THINK, SAY, or ever intend to IMPLY that women are inferior to men, physically or otherwise. He only thought that the other person used the word "genetically" wrong, and tried to clarify, as in, "hey, I think you meant to say this." Not, "you meant to state this fact, which I agree with," or "You think this but the truth is this." It's like if someone typed, "The earth is bigger then the sun," and someone else said, "You mean the earth is bigger THAN the sun." That second person is not affirming the actual statement, only correcting a word-error!
    (Though I'm sure after this, he'll double-check what he types lest it be misconstrued as such.)

Except that kind of correction has consistently resulted in strikes in the MFP forums.

Ninerbuff, you now have one strike. MFP works on a three strike system. Blah blah blah valued member. Please try to be a better person in the future.

tomatoey wrote: »

NInerbuff, just be careful with your "corrections".

it's kind of true, if you'd moved your closing quotes one word over, all this could have been avoided (maybe)
    Maybe. I've tried explaining it a few times already and a couple are convinced I'm sexist regardless. Oh well.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Oh my god, Easter was last weekend, Jesus.

I clearly said in another post I specifically didn't give you any benefit of the doubt because you are a freaking mod correcting verbage in a post that was 100% sarcasm. Unfortunately, what you said came off kind of bad and was easy pickins. It happens to literally everyone*.

*Not everyone
    You do realize if you're speaking of god in this context, the G should be capitalized?

Yes that's sarcasm too.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What's a saracam
    In light of previous comments, I'll abstain from responding to this for fear of it being viewed as sexist.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Are you saying that women aren't smart enough to understand your superior intellect and wit?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Hey, guys!

What's going on in here?

squats.

but no benching.

I thought it was heavy squats and Barbie bicep curls for women and only heavy bench for men.
    You do realize if the real Barbie really picked up that pink dumbell, it would be 5 times her weight? :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    But seriously, if we work this out logically:

Logically factual statements.
    Some A are stronger than some B.
    Some B are stronger than some A.
    Some A are stronger than some A.
    Some B are stronger than some B.

Using words like all or majority are assumptive as there's no concrete way to verify. To use them as assertions of fact is illogical. Unless my logic has gaps. I'm open to a logical refutation.
    How many individual (non-team) sports involve women competing against men?

In how many sports are the womens' records better than the mens' records?

Obviously some women are stronger than some men. But the strongest men are stronger than the strongest women, and the average man is stronger than the average woman. So in that context "men are stronger than women" is a valid statement, in the same way as "men are taller than women."

I'm not sure why anyone would think this is justification to think that men and women should be treated differently.

I don't know why some people need to inject value judgments into any observation of differences between any two people or groups of people.

Obviously there are differences between the two but to make a blanket statement like "men are [whatever] than women" and vice versa is to open the discussion up to blanket interpretations, so the offense of some is valid because there aren't always specifics that make meaning clear.

The thing is, if the same assertions were made based on race or culture, using the same criteria you mentioned, it would likely blow up into a much bigger deal. Would their offense be so quickly or easily cast aside? Some people feel as strongly about issues of gender and sex.

Either way, we're using some pretty broad words here. Valid, logical, and factual aren't necessarily the same. The discussion can rabbit trail all day long.

Maybe every observation of difference doesn't deserve a value judgment, but this is mfp, so it will likely get one anyway.

eta: And to be fair, inferior and superior are value judgments... Unintended though they may be.
    Maybe every observation of difference doesn't deserve a value judgment, but this is humanity, so it will likely get one anyway.

1- FTFY.

B- This is why we can't have nice things.

(4- I admit the hypocrisy of the above being value judgments. Just in case Jof comes along.)

Hey, guys!

What's going on in here?

squats.

but no benching.

Oh.

I'm still recovering from hip surgery five weeks ago...

...so I'll just show myself to the door.

:indifferent:

[havefunstormingthecastle.gif]

You're allowed to bench.

Because male.

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    jbsterks wrote: »

I when I go to the gym, I'm working for MY goals. I'm glad you're at the gym too, don't get me wrong; but you have a different set of goals, so you're working to meet those... don't try to rise (or sink) to my level! Stay at your own!!

Are you advocating for segregation? What, I can't share your goals?

Is it because I'm a woman?

Huh?

HUH???

^ sarc... Never mind.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    This thread is a huge trainwreck. Why do 70% of threads here become "battle of the sexes"?

Each individual should train in a way that promotes their personal goals and is compatible with their individual capabilities. Nothing more, nothing less.

because some people on here choose to take things way too seriously, and have no clue how to differentiate sarcasm and joking, from seriousness.

and it appears that some people expect that someone will never misspeak and when they do they should be tarred and feathered, and then quartered...

I've actually been very graciously ignoring your attempts to bait me with your hilarious jokes, if you notice.

(See *that * is sarcasm there, instanced in the use of the words "hilarious" and "jokes")
  • jbsterks
    jbsterks Posts: 8
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

Huh?

HUH???

^ sarc... Never mind.

Well, we could go back to Aristotelian theory and have everyone train together... but naked. Just sayyyyin :)
  • Predat0r1502
    Predat0r1502 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Shake weights please
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

Huh?

HUH???

^ sarc... Never mind.

Well, we could go back to Aristotelian theory and have everyone train together... but naked. Just sayyyyin :)

+1 for this!

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Huh?

HUH???

^ sarc... Never mind.

I don't know... I read somewhere else that naked is bad. I'm gonna stick with my shorts and sports bra.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Using words like all or majority are assumptive as there's no concrete way to verify. To use them as assertions of fact is illogical. Unless my logic has gaps. I'm open to a logical refutation.

Obviously some women are stronger than some men. But the strongest men are stronger than the strongest women, and the average man is stronger than the average woman. So in that context "men are stronger than women" is a valid statement, in the same way as "men are taller than women."

I'm not sure why anyone would think this is justification to think that men and women should be treated differently.

I don't know why some people need to inject value judgments into any observation of differences between any two people or groups of people.

Obviously there are differences between the two but to make a blanket statement like "men are [whatever] than women" and vice versa is to open the discussion up to blanket interpretations, so the offense of some is valid because there aren't always specifics that make meaning clear.

The thing is, if the same assertions were made based on race or culture, using the same criteria you mentioned, it would likely blow up into a much bigger deal. Would their offense be so quickly or easily cast aside? Some people feel as strongly about issues of gender and sex.

Either way, we're using some pretty broad words here. Valid, logical, and factual aren't necessarily the same. The discussion can rabbit trail all day long.

Maybe every observation of difference doesn't deserve a value judgment, but this is mfp, so it will likely get one anyway.

eta: And to be fair, inferior and superior are value judgments... Unintended though they may be.
    Maybe every observation of difference doesn't deserve a value judgment, but this is humanity, so it will likely get one anyway.

1- FTFY.

(4- I admit the hypocrisy of the above being value judgments. Just in case Jof comes along.)

Hey, guys!

What's going on in here?

squats.

but no benching.

Oh.

You're allowed to bench.

Because male.

I don't need to though...

...since my upper body is naturally stronger than at least 49.7% of the world population.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This thread is a huge trainwreck. Why do 70% of threads here become "battle of the sexes"?

Each individual should train in a way that promotes their personal goals and is compatible with their individual capabilities. Nothing more, nothing less.

because some people on here choose to take things way too seriously, and have no clue how to differentiate sarcasm and joking, from seriousness.

and it appears that some people expect that someone will never misspeak and when they do they should be tarred and feathered, and then quartered...

I've actually been very graciously ignoring your attempts to bait me with your hilarious jokes, if you notice.

(See *that * is sarcasm there, instanced in the use of the words "hilarious" and "jokes")

so you are ignoring me by responding to me? Interesting...

I did not refer to you by name, unless of course you think that "some people" refers to you ...or am I really in your head that much?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

You're allowed to bench.

Because male.

...since my upper body is naturally stronger than at least 49.7% of the world population.

Reminds me of a US Air Force tagline... Aim High!

• ndj1979
    Options

1- FTFY.

Hey, guys!

What's going on in here?

squats.

but no benching.

Oh.

You're allowed to bench.

Because male.

so you train your upper body at a 3:1 ration then, because male, right?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

1- FTFY.

Hey, guys!

What's going on in here?

squats.

but no benching.

Oh.

You're allowed to bench.

Because male.

so you train your upper body at a 3:1 ratio then, because male, right?

Exactly.

To do otherwise would be contrary to my genetics.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

I did not refer to you by name, unless of course you think that "some people" refers to you ...or am I really in your head that much?

I said I ignored your hilarious jokey baiting posts.

You know that I know what you were doing. We've been bound together for all time by that other thread. Certainly for as long as we count here. It's kind of sweet if you think about it
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I actually try to train all my muscle groups evenly. I don't want flabby bingo wings!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I didn't read all the reply's, sorry if this is a repeat.

My take on suggesting training in this way is the concept that muscle burns more calories. Our largest muscle groups happen to be the lower half of our bodies, so by training those muscle groups more heavily you'll burn more calories as those muscles develop. That's just where my head went with this. I'm not sure why it would be more specific to women than men other than women don't like to work out their upper body as much in fear of bulking up. Oh the many myths of weight training lol Just my thoughts.

Thank you ! lol You got exactly what my point was ... I never said the program was right but that's the same concept I gathered watching the video lol

Right, but the concept is wrong. That's the main point.

Ok, so that's fine. Anything else I haven't been told ?

if you really want some solid advice, it would be nice to know what your goals are....

Well my goals are simple to lose an excess amount of body fat. I want to lose fat, not just weight for the number on the scale and add muscle. Right now, I am following my calorie deficient goal and clean eating. I am exercising 5 times a week and this is my current break down.
    Day 1 - Chest / Tricep
    Day 2 - Bicep / Shoulder
    Day 3 - Upper and Lower Back
    Day 4 - Legs
    Day 5 - Cardio / Abs

Days 6 and 7 are Active Rest days.

(And while I know I am going to be critiqued on how my work outs are set up - it is what it is)

I am heavier in my lower half of my body which is why I found the video interesting.

Excellent. Although I am leaving work so I'm limited. You're on a good track. Calorie deficit will get you the weight loss. Training will make sure you optimize fat loss.

Being said, we collectively are going to recommend strong cruces, new rules of lifting, starting strength or strong lifts.

Getting in a proven beginner program will go a long way for you.

Also, ironically, I'd suggest doing two leg days instead of just one if you chose not to switch to one of those aforementioned programs.

Agree on the 2 day leg day.

OP the program good starting program!! Good luck.

I do deads on "back day" so I get a considerable amount of hamstring work and some glutes in there as well. I like to think of back day as a sort of bonus leg day if you will.

Good luck OP, sounds like you are on the right track!

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I just want to know if it's finally been decided whether women should train before men like the title suggests.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I said I ignored your hilarious jokey baiting posts.

You know that I know what you were doing. We've been bound together for all time by that other thread. Certainly for as long as we count here. It's kind of sweet if you think about it

I am glad that you are ignoring me by responding to my posts..

it is kind of like having an MFP puppy that follows me around...cute.