The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »
    cindytw wrote: »
    @lilaclovebird, do you use a headlamp or what?

If the weather is nice and the moon hasn't waned too much, I won't. If it's too cloudy/rainy, I will simply not go. I look for warm, lightly breezy nights for things like that and hopefully I will do it EARLY in the morning and catch the sunrise.

Sadly, we are losing 7 of our chimps today. It's a mixed bag. On the ONE hand, they are going to Chimp Haven, which is good! On the other hand, they won't be here with us anymore. :(

Why are you losing them??? Not sure on the reason for having them in the first place......but why 7 at one go?? are they research Chimps?? that have come to the end of usefulness??? can they not be homed in a park or such instead of being "lost" I presume you mean put to sleep???

Oh no no no! In fact all of our chimps are not researched on here unless it is purely behavioral. They are going to "Chimp Haven" not "Chimp Heaven" it's like a wild life preserve for chimps.

Many of our chimps were taken from research facilities where they were put through medical research and harmed physically and psychologically. Some were even circus performers or kept as pets. Here they have outside areas where they play in dirt and grass and we do our best to socialize and care for them ideally until their dying days. But when openings happen at Chimp Haven we gladly send our most elderly or the ones with the most social issues to live a more free life.

Some of our chimps from being out in the Texas sun have developed skin cancer and they receive some treatments here. We have some that were infected in labs with HIV or Hepatitis that we care for here that wouldn't have a home anywhere else.

Our chimps are well taken care of and very enriched with toys, climbing areas and much more. The worst/best part I think is that they eat WAY better than I do. We get big 18 wheeler produce trucks here twice a week for deliveries!

They are like family members to many of our techs and doctors here so it is a sad time, but we know they will be well taken care of at Chimp Haven.

OK My bad.....misread one word and I think the worst....lol.......I do not agree with animal research...but I also understand we need to test things on something...so it is a touchy subject I know....

Glad you look after them....research animals or not they deserve the best they can get....not happy with caged permanently types....
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Trains as in locomotives or Trains as in subway?

Subway, in NYC.
  • fatjon73
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    Trains as in locomotives or Trains as in subway?

Subway, in NYC.

that explains the anger then....lol....I can only imagine how chaotic it is in your day...
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    OK. You have my complete support on the frustration. :smile: Whatever you're getting paid, it's not enough. :wink:
  • belimawr
    edited April 2015
    Options
    that explains the anger then....lol....I can only imagine how chaotic it is in your day...

Oh, you have no idea... :)
    OK. You have my complete support on the frustration. :smile: Whatever you're getting paid, it's not enough. :wink:

LOL, you got that right. Well, I get paid decently (I won't ever go as far as saying "enough") for doing my job, the problem is I have to do others' as well without being paid for it.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am planning on a night hike, weather permitting of course, for tomorrow night. The first and last time I went was with a 'complication' and now that I am complication-free I plan on making new memories of that place that don't include him. :smiley:

Night hiking sounds lovely! Something to add to my bucket list.

I'm back after my 6 days off. I noticed there are a few overstaffed shifts at the end of this stretch. I told myself I was going to work all 8 every stretch this month and build up some earned time....buuuuut I see myself taking off at least one. Maybe two :) Saves me having to pay the babysitter!
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    @lilaclovebird, do you use a headlamp or what?

If the weather is nice and the moon hasn't waned too much, I won't. If it's too cloudy/rainy, I will simply not go. I look for warm, lightly breezy nights for things like that and hopefully I will do it EARLY in the morning and catch the sunrise.

Sadly, we are losing 7 of our chimps today. It's a mixed bag. On the ONE hand, they are going to Chimp Haven, which is good! On the other hand, they won't be here with us anymore. :(

Why are you losing them??? Not sure on the reason for having them in the first place......but why 7 at one go?? are they research Chimps?? that have come to the end of usefulness??? can they not be homed in a park or such instead of being "lost" I presume you mean put to sleep???

Oh no no no! In fact all of our chimps are not researched on here unless it is purely behavioral. They are going to "Chimp Haven" not "Chimp Heaven" it's like a wild life preserve for chimps.

Many of our chimps were taken from research facilities where they were put through medical research and harmed physically and psychologically. Some were even circus performers or kept as pets. Here they have outside areas where they play in dirt and grass and we do our best to socialize and care for them ideally until their dying days. But when openings happen at Chimp Haven we gladly send our most elderly or the ones with the most social issues to live a more free life.

Some of our chimps from being out in the Texas sun have developed skin cancer and they receive some treatments here. We have some that were infected in labs with HIV or Hepatitis that we care for here that wouldn't have a home anywhere else.

Our chimps are well taken care of and very enriched with toys, climbing areas and much more. The worst/best part I think is that they eat WAY better than I do. We get big 18 wheeler produce trucks here twice a week for deliveries!

They are like family members to many of our techs and doctors here so it is a sad time, but we know they will be well taken care of at Chimp Haven.

OK My bad.....misread one word and I think the worst....lol.......I do not agree with animal research...but I also understand we need to test things on something...so it is a touchy subject I know....

Glad you look after them....research animals or not they deserve the best they can get....not happy with caged permanently types....

Animal research saves lives and I am a firm believer in it, but the animals should also be treated well.

We try to take them out of a permanently caged situation when we can. With the openings we have now, we may be able to save more. We have had some that were kept in TINY cages their whole lives and they have issues socializing and integrating with others. They are just like people in certain aspects.

It is quite fascinating to see the rapport that the doctors and techs have with them. The real trick is to never get complacent and remember that they can be 6 to 8 times stronger than the average human male and have no problem biting your fingers off. They are wild animals after all. But many of us love them just the same as if they were family members.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

Oh, you have no idea... :)

LOL, you got that right. Well, I get paid decently (I won't ever go as far as saying "enough") for doing my job, the problem is I have to do others' as well without being paid for it.

Lazy slackers or they let someone go/someone quit and once they figured you were capable, they decided that position didn't need replacing?

Either scenario is bad because if it has been acknowledged that you pull extra weight on the regular, you deserve a raise.
  • belimawr
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lazy slackers or they let someone go/someone quit and once they figured you were capable, they decided that position didn't need replacing?

Either scenario is bad because if it has been acknowledged that you pull extra weight on the regular, you deserve a raise.

No, I have to do the work or workers outside of my department (and my knowledge for that fact!) because the people responsible do NOT know how to do their job, and my boss holds me responsible (my department is like that). So, I have to do work outside my own.

Shop Rite had Talenti on sale, I bought myself a few and told myself that if I could go without yelling at the people in the other dept whose jobs I'm doing, I could have some that morning when I got home.

I have had very little of it. Good for the fact I haven't eaten it, bad for other reasons...
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Here I am doing my weekly 2nd shift instead of my usual 3rds...just had a tornado warning pass through our county and out of towners were fa-reakin' out!
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    Is this the official vampire thread?
  • belimawr
    Options
    wolfruhn wrote: »

Something like that. At least that's what my skin tone has told me lately - vampire.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    My sleep pattern is probably worse than a vampire's so I'm not sure. I am up all night drawing blood though so I guess it is. :laugh:
  • fatjon73
    Options
    wolfruhn wrote: »

No twilight shite in here Wolfie boy.....this is a sensible group.....I am here ;)...you work nights??? we need proof on entry....or a massive burger has helped others......lol.....(or you can get medical mary j off our resident vet....)....only reason I keep coming back that.....waiting for a "puff puff pass".....lol.....
  • belimawr
    Options
    this is a sensible group.....I am here ;)...

Well, that theory of a sensible group just went out the window, no? ;)
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    LOL. :smile: Well, maybe not sensible, but we still have fun. :smile:
  • fatjon73
    Options

I am normal pal...its everyone else that's not right in the head.....
  • sufferlandrian
    Options

LOL! Love it. :smile:
  • belimawr
    Options

I never claimed to be.

It's Friday night ppl let's make it a good one! Except for fatjon there who's probably near getting off soon, hope it WAS a good one.
  • fatjon73
    Options
    Friday night here mate...I only work Mon to Thu....I got it easy I know.....Been a Rum and Ginger ale night here...so all is very good tonight......:)