Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Here it is 2 am and this is the first downtime I've had.. I'm almost whipped! Plus I only slept about 5.5 hours today and got up for a run before work. It was in the upper 20's and the wind was cutting like a ghinsu knife.. but it's only cold if you're standing still and it wasn't long til I was stripping off my gloves and hood. I love the feeling of accomplishment a good run and a jammin' night at work give me.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Leslie, nice job. I don't mind the cold but the wind really gets to me. I do most of my complaining about exercise when I'm trying to get in a ride an the wind is blowing. I'd ride in -13 degrees if the wind wasn't blowing. Wait, I just did that last week. :smile:
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    You're a beast suffer, and you know it. @LesliePierceRN‌ - I did the same thing earlier this week....and was burning up by mile 2 - and stripping as I went.... but it's an amazing feeling when you're done!
  • LesliePierceRN
    Options
    Oh, I hated it to begin with.. but not for long! I love being in the zone, and I love the high afterward.. I considered for like a second turning around and going home.. and the first thing I said when the run was done was, "I'm SOOO glad I didn't quit." It's always worth it.
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    The zone is the best place in the world.
  • LesliePierceRN
    Options
    I try and try to recruit my friends to run.. They think I'm some maniac.. I tell them they have no idea what they're missing.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    The high? I have never experienced the runners high. People who experience the runners high must get absolutely stoned when they slam their fingers in the car door. :frowning:
  • LesliePierceRN
    Options
    Oh no, suffer!! No high? I feel so bad for you.. it's the best!!
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    Suffer has a fear of running...LMAO....he prefers the bike...so I let him bike..and I run
    I completely understand. I ran 18 miles the other day and was asked THREE times by people that knew me..you ok?? You need a ride...You're pretty far out..you sure??
  • LesliePierceRN
    Options
    Lol
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Lady, No one ever asks me that on the bike. They just flip me off and keep driving while yelling, "GET A CAR!" :laugh: I really did enjoy the Huckleberry 100 last year. I'm doing it again. The 100 miles wasn't bad. I'm thinking of working up to the STP (Seattle to Portland) and trying to do the 200 miles in one day.
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    I still say you should do the "Hotter n Hell" in Wichita Falls...
    It's funny...I used to look at runners with contempt...now I don't know what I would do if I couldn't run.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    OK, I'll let you guys in on something. I used to run a lot. I would run 5 miles three times a week and on weekends I would run between 15 and 30 miles depending on how I felt. I injured my back when I lived in Spokane and I've been a cyclist since then. I still never got the runners high, but I can look back at some of the runs like going over Transmountain Highway with a fair bit of pride.
  • LadyRN76
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Awesome that you were able to pick up cycling and still kick *kitten*.... :)
    Ahem. I still say you should do the Hotter n Hell...
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I would need to get more than two days off to do that. I can see it now, going from the temperatures here to over 100 there. I would think it was hell. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    The last year I volunteered for it - it was 118.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    That's like Africa hot. No thanks. :smile:
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    LMAO...and most of them would say that to your races....they're use to racing the southern circuit....not snow...and cold.
  • hawaiifan
    Options
    Fellow night shifters. Is there a way to choose when your food diary starts and ends? Some weeks my "days" end at 5 am. I end up with a meal and a snack logged in on the "new" day since to after midnight. Any ideas?
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    You can alter the names of your diet to fit whatever timing works for you. Go to diary settings.