HELP! I'm busting my butt and still gaining!

Options

Replies

• donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. I would suggest being careful on any chips and breads. Chips can really add up. Once I looked at some of the things I was eating, even though I was eating very small amounts, I stopped. We work too hard at this to take in almost a full meal of calories with comfort junk food and sweets.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. I would suggest being careful on any chips and breads. Chips can really add up. Once I looked at some of the things I was eating, even though I was eating very small amounts, I stopped. We work too hard at this to take in almost a full meal of calories with comfort junk food and sweets.

Is there anything in the OP to suggest that chips and bread are part of the problem?
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    I did not say they were jelly. Just a simple suggestion and I don't think I was rude. Geeeese. If I was then I apologize. A little hesty today?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I did not say they were jelly. Just a simple suggestion and I don't think I was rude. Geeeese. If I was then I apologize. A little hesty today?

I didn't say you were rude. I didn't say anything about you. I just asked you a question.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Sorry Showe. You are doing a great job. Keep up the great work. I won't comment anymore here.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    good for you for opening up your diary,you are eating way to much processed & fast food, if you change the kind of calories you consume, your body will reflect that . if you need help with your food choices just ask one of us , most of us are happy to help beginners on this journey , goodluck
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    good for you for opening up your diary,you are eating way to much processed & fast food, if you change the kind of calories you consume, your body will reflect that . if you need help with your food choices just ask one of us , most of us are happy to help beginners on this journey , goodluck

If she is truly gaining weight, then it is because she is eating excess calories -- not because she is eating processed food or fast food.

Weight loss is caused by a calorie deficit. Changing the kind of calories that she consumes will not generate weight loss unless she also creates a deficit.
  • Showe53188
    Showe53188 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all and I don't believe anyone was being rude. The supporters in my life although love me very much and show it they tend to beat around the bush when I ask for criticism. I need people to just be honest with me. Telling me I'm doing something wrong or I should try not eating something is what were all here for. Helping and suggesting ideas to help each other lose weight. I appreciate everyone's input. Unfortunately I did not plan my meals well today so I should have planned way healthier meals but I have a good one planned for dinner and am going to set aside some time tonight to plan my meals for tomorrow. Thanks everyone!
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Jelly, I may be wrong, but I think if the wrong foods are eaten while even at a deficit a person can gain weight. I have read on here too many times from women that there are many factors that can contribute to women adding weight temporarily just due to the gender. Add to that a day or two of breads, sweets and chips and you have a formula for "potential" weight gain. The OP did not (or else I missed it) mention how long she has been gaining, or if she has had up and down weight days, or how long she has been at this. Just a few days of flat scale results or an uptick can wreak havoc on the psychie and motivation.

I was doing pretty well, then went to eat some "healthy fish" at a mexican food restaurant and ate a bunch of the tortilla chips. The sodium that I downed caused me to retain water and my weight went up. Add to that the fact that I was making sandwiches (using whole wheat bread) but thought I was fine since they were smoked salmon sandwiches. Then people on MFP told me that even wheat bread can have a negative effect. So......I went to a health food type grocery store and bought some bread that was so much healthier (yes I looked at the lable to check the ingredients).

Until people get their bearings on how all of this works it is a minefield. I think we can all agree on that.

It took days for my weight gain (scale weight) to recover from my tortilla chip festival. I would bet that the OP will see the same thing happen with her since she is on the right track and is exercising. This is a bumpy road but there are rewards to continuing to fine tune here and there what she and all of us are doing.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Showe53188 wrote: »
    Thank you all and I don't believe anyone was being rude. The supporters in my life although love me very much and show it they tend to beat around the bush when I ask for criticism. I need people to just be honest with me. Telling me I'm doing something wrong or I should try not eating something is what were all here for. Helping and suggesting ideas to help each other lose weight. I appreciate everyone's input. Unfortunately I did not plan my meals well today so I should have planned way healthier meals but I have a good one planned for dinner and am going to set aside some time tonight to plan my meals for tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

I just wanted to say that you have a great attitude and that you shouldn’t beat yourself up. Instead, start doing things the way people recommend it: weight your food, track everything, be cautious of overestimating exercise calories.

Speaking from experience, it’s almost a relief to track accurately and with honesty. If a day doesn’t work out relative to my goals, for whatever reason, I call it a maintenance day and move on - start fresh the next day. You can’t gain 10 pounds in a day, after all (that would be 35,000 calories!): weight loss and maintenance is about consistency and patience. Best of luck :smile:
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Jelly, I may be wrong, but I think if the wrong foods are eaten while even at a deficit a person can gain weight. I have read on here too many times from women that there are many factors that can contribute to women adding weight temporarily just due to the gender. Add to that a day or two of breads, sweets and chips and you have a formula for "potential" weight gain. The OP did not (or else I missed it) mention how long she has been gaining, or if she has had up and down weight days, or how long she has been at this. Just a few days of flat scale results or an uptick can wreak havoc on the psychie and motivation.

I was doing pretty well, then went to eat some "healthy fish" at a mexican food restaurant and ate a bunch of the tortilla chips. The sodium that I downed caused me to retain water and my weight went up. Add to that the fact that I was making sandwiches (using whole wheat bread) but thought I was fine since they were smoked salmon sandwiches. Then people on MFP told me that even wheat bread can have a negative effect. So......I went to a health food type grocery store and bought some bread that was so much healthier (yes I looked at the lable to check the ingredients).

Until people get their bearings on how all of this works it is a minefield. I think we can all agree on that.

It took days for my weight gain (scale weight) to recover from my tortilla chip festival. I would bet that the OP will see the same thing happen with her since she is on the right track and is exercising. This is a bumpy road but there are rewards to continuing to fine tune here and there what she and all of us are doing.

If you're talking about water retention, that can absolutely be influenced by food choices. But you can't truly gain weight while eating at a deficit.

Since the OP hasn't said if she is talking about a temporary fluctuation (due to water weight) or a sustained gain, I think it's premature to tell her to avoid bread, processed food, or fast food. If she dropped these foods, she may lose a few pounds of water weight. However, if she is eating excess calories, addressing the water weight isn't going to provide lasting help to her.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

If you're talking about water retention, that can absolutely be influenced by food choices. But you can't truly gain weight while eating at a deficit.

Since the OP hasn't said if she is talking about a temporary fluctuation (due to water weight) or a sustained gain, I think it's premature to tell her to avoid bread, processed food, or fast food. If she dropped these foods, she may lose a few pounds of water weight. However, if she is eating excess calories, addressing the water weight isn't going to provide lasting help to her.

Indeed.

OP, I think it's great that you realized where you could improve. Best of luck to you!
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Well based on that logic then keep eating candy and roll ups and cheeseburgers and chips as long as you are at a calorie deficit? I think your logic is a little flawed Jelly.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Well based on that logic then keep eating candy and roll ups and cheeseburgers and chips as long as you are at a calorie deficit? I think your logic is a little flawed Jelly.

It's true. Because physics. If the calories you burn are more than the calories you eat, you will burn fat instead. No matter WHAT those calories are (because a calorie is a unit of energy and 1=1=1)

For weight loss, you *can* eat whatever you want as long as you're in a deficit, you'll lose weight.

For health, obviously you want to make nutrition a priority.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

<<
    has lost 60+ pounds while still eating candy (had a Cadbury creme egg today, yum), chips, and delicious cheeseburgers. Also, bread, rice, and other unfairly shamed starches. There is nothing wrong with those foods and you can still lose weight while eating them. Moderation, balance, and careful tracking.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options

That's exactly right.
    I've had candy and a cheeseburger and chips in the past week. I am still losing weight. Cheeseburgers are great, so long as they fit in your calories...
    CICO, my friend, CICO.

OP- I'm impressed how well you handled criticism and reevaluating your habits. You'll do just fine once you tighten up the logging and stick with it. Just remember, weight loss isn't linear. :smile:
  • donjtomasco
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Are you going to offer the OP up some real advice or strickly tell her that she can eat crap food all day and "just lose weight" as long as she is at a deficit?

Yes, you and jelly are "RIGHT". Maybe this is how you guys lose weight, but I am offering up to OP that adding healthier foods and maintaining her deficit while exercising is maybe a little wiser advice then "just losing weight" no matter what she is eating.

WOW!!!!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    No one is telling her to just eat junk all day. They're simply saying that nothing needs to be eliminated. Cutting out bread (or anything else) is of no benefit to her if she's eating reasonably well and in a deficit. It's just unnecessary.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    I bow out. You all have a lot of fun with your "healthy" dieting.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Are you going to offer the OP up some real advice or strickly tell her that she can eat shi* food all day and "just lose weight" as long as she is at a deficit?

Yes, you and jelly are "RIGHT". Maybe this is how you guys lose weight, but I am offering up to OP that adding healthier foods and maintaining her deficit while exercising is maybe a little wiser advice then "just losing weight" no matter what she is eating.

WOW!!!!

I mean, no one told her to ONLY eat cheeseburgers. No one would ever tell her that. But you can and should include foods you enjoy in a overall healthy balanced diet. When you assign moral value to the type of food you eat you introduce a lot of guilt and extra stress into a very simple process.
This discussion has been closed.