HELP! I'm busting my butt and still gaining!

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Are you going to offer the OP up some real advice or strickly tell her that she can eat shi* food all day and "just lose weight" as long as she is at a deficit?

Yes, you and jelly are "RIGHT". Maybe this is how you guys lose weight, but I am offering up to OP that adding healthier foods and maintaining her deficit while exercising is maybe a little wiser advice then "just losing weight" no matter what she is eating.

WOW!!!!

You need to take it down a notch

It is important for people to know they can still incorperate their favorite foods in moderation into a healthy diet. Trying to cut out everything you love right off the bat is one of the biggest reasons people fail when they "diet".
    Well based on that logic then keep eating candy and roll ups and cheeseburgers and chips as long as you are at a calorie deficit?

What is so bad about a cheeseburger anyways. It can really be a healthy and blanced meal (got carbs, fat, and protein all wrapped into one).

Chips are a great carb/fat source if you balance them with protein.

Candy can be incorperated as a treat on top of a healthy diet.

Why are all these foods so "evil" to you?

• donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Yes you can twist and resay anything that I said in order for you to be right. Your glasses are reading things that were not written. But finally I read you typing something that makes some sense now to the OP (in your last message). Thank you for finally agreeing to a little bit of what I offered up, in a "moral" way. Morality? Really? Hangry today?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Yes you can twist and resay anything that I said in order for you to be right. Your glasses are reading things that were not written. But finally I read you typing something that makes some sense now to the OP (in your last message). Thank you for finally agreeing to a little bit of what I offered up, in a "moral" way. Morality? Really? Hangry today?

The only one who seems "hangry" in this thread is yourself.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    OP already said she does not want sugar coated and toned down suggestions. It sounds to me like she is here to "weigh" what members have to say and wants honest opinions and suggestions.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Nobody told her to eat what you define as "*kitten*" food all day long. I did say balance, moderation, and careful tracking. That is real advice, and is certainly more realistic than saying that one must give up those things or shame any foods.

Stick around long enough or visit the success pages. Most people there have, do, and will continue to enjoy those foods in light of balance, moderation, and careful tracking.

• maidentl
    Options
    OP already said she does not want sugar coated and toned down suggestions. It sounds to me like she is here to "weigh" what members have to say and wants honest opinions and suggestions.

She already got the very best advice she can get. Use a food scale and make sure you're in that deficit. :smile:
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Don, don't make this thread about you, please. That's not helping the OP.

OP, I'll add to the voices recommending a food scale.

Regarding the composition of your diet?

If, at some point down the line, you start to feel more hungry and dissatisfied with the amount of food you get to eat for the calories, THEN you can start to look at maybe incorporating a few more foods from the outside aisles of the grocery store and a few less restaurant meals and pre-prepared items.

You'll get more food for your caloric buck that way.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - sounds like you have already solved the problem.

I would highly recommend getting a food scale and weight all solid foods and as many liquids as possible...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

you are the only hangry person in this thread.

you took what another poster said and totally took it out of context.

No one in this thread is advocating a diet of 100% donuts, or any of the other things that you listed.

The advice was that OP should start logging accurately before restricting whole food groups..
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I'm never hangry because I eat moderate amounts of the kinds of food I want and log every bite. I'm actually quite happy about the whole thing. :smiley:

It's great that you recommend that people eat more fruits and veggies. Everyone should, except for Freelee, but it's okay to eat wheat bread, too. And it's okay to have beef and cheese between those slices of bread. Food isn't "good" or "bad," it's just fuel for us to be able to go do other awesome things.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Sorry, it appears this is a women's only thread. Of course ladies, you all are 100% right and what I said was 100% wrong. I think that is what you are wanting me to say. I am happy that the OP seemed to appreciate "all" the comments. This is not about me, this is about other people being hell bent on being right. I commented for the benefit of the OP and she said she was not hear to be coddled. So, whatever ladies.
  • Showe53188
    Showe53188 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Out of all the atticles I've read a lot of them say that you don't have to change what your eating you just can't over indulge. Others saying that you shouldn't "diet" that you should change your lifestyle. I absolutely love eating my fruits and vegetables but with Easter just passing and eating at my parents instead of my own place where there is healthier foods I have slipped up some. With a mix of the two I try eating what I like just portioning it but trying to pick healthier options when grocery shopping also. Although I am working on what I eat I'm focusing a little more on my exercising. I have a desk job and am not very active durring the day but this week I have already walked 9.5 miles and still going.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Sorry, it appears this is a women's only thread. Of course ladies, you all are 100% right and what I said was 100% wrong. I think that is what you are wanting me to say. I am happy that the OP seemed to appreciate "all" the comments. This is not about me, this is about other people being hell bent on being right. I commented for the benefit of the OP and she said she was not hear to be coddled. So, whatever ladies.

Wow someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Showe53188 wrote: »
    Out of all the atticles I've read a lot of them say that you don't have to change what your eating you just can't over indulge. Others saying that you shouldn't "diet" that you should change your lifestyle. I absolutely love eating my fruits and vegetables but with Easter just passing and eating at my parents instead of my own place where there is healthier foods I have slipped up some. With a mix of the two I try eating what I like just portioning it but trying to pick healthier options when grocery shopping also. Although I am working on what I eat I'm focusing a little more on my exercising. I have a desk job and am not very active durring the day but this week I have already walked 9.5 miles and still going.

You have the right idea, for sure! As long as you know, to the best of your knowledge, what's in your food and that it fits your calorie and macro goals, you'll do fine. It's a matter of weighing and logging everything and using the most accurate database entries so you have the clearest picture of what's going in.

If you are tracking your walking miles, you should join the monthly running challenge thread under the Fitness and Exercise forum. All levels of runners and walkers and the most supportive group I've ever seen on MFP.
  • maidentl
    Options
    Showe53188 wrote: »

Sounds like you're on the right track! I am always striving to eat "better" for my own sake. But "a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." :smile:
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

What does being a woman have to do with anything?
    And are you really confusing ndj1979 with a female? Really?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

I think you should take a nice, calming walk. You're getting way too riled up. Reeeelaaaaax.

OP, you seem to have the right mind set...no point in depriving yourself of yummy easter treats...but you have to keep track because those calories do creep up!
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    everybody is going to take a guess but there is only 1 correct answer.
    here are the 11 most common reasons and I assure you that the answer you seek is listed
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

This article is the best thing ever, I'm going to refer one or two people to it the next time they ask me for the millionth time why they aren't losing weight when I am....
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Your honesty is the first hurdle and you have now overcome that. /You also have a support system here. Eat healthily, log accurately & do some type of work out each day & the results will reward you. I used to play a game to make sure that each day I was under the macros & I lost 1-2 lbs per week steadily & lost 50 pounds in 26 weeks. You can do it too if you set your mind to it & are honest about it. It's all in how badly you want to see results.
  • Showe53188
    Showe53188 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    michellesz wrote: »
    Your honesty is the first hurdle and you have now overcome that. /You also have a support system here. Eat healthily, log accurately & do some type of work out each day & the results will reward you. I used to play a game to make sure that each day I was under the macros & I lost 1-2 lbs per week steadily & lost 50 pounds in 26 weeks. You can do it too if you set your mind to it & are honest about it. It's all in how badly you want to see results.

I'm interested in hearing about what the game is. Lately I've just been trying to walk about 2+ miles per day but I'm afraid it'll get boring eventually
This discussion has been closed.